Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Nickel scope pronunciation

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mannlicher Discussion forum & Archive

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
rpeck

Reged: 06/12/13
Loc: Canada
Nickel scope pronunciation
      #349195 - 13/01/21 06:22 AM

I have a Mannlicher with an older Nickel scope on it and I was wondering how to pronounce the German brand name "Nickel." Is it the same as the English word for the metal nickel ("Ni-kull")?...or is it something else altogether...perhaps "Ny-Kell" or something else? Could a German speaker please inform me of the correct pronunciation. Thanks.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
93mouse
.375 member

Reged: 17/08/07
Loc: Slovenia
Re: Nickel scope pronunciation [Re: rpeck]
      #349198 - 13/01/21 06:46 AM

It is just as a nickel - five-cent coin

Rothhammer1
.400 member

Reged: 06/01/17
Loc: The Redwoods of California
Re: Nickel scope pronunciation [Re: 93mouse]
      #349200 - 13/01/21 08:02 AM

--------------------
Citizen of the Cherokee Nation

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Nickel scope pronunciation [Re: Rothhammer1]
      #349214 - 13/01/21 05:29 PM

Same as English to my knowledge.

https://www.google.com/search?q=proununc...me&ie=UTF-8

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Nickel scope pronunciation [Re: NitroX]
      #349215 - 13/01/21 05:32 PM

Slight difference in German.

https://www.google.com/search?biw=1168&a...HSlsCVwQ4dUDCA0

Click on the audio button.

If the link does not work, just enter "Pronunciation of German Nickel" in google.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

rpeck

#349228 - 14/01/21 12:45 AM

I hear it as "Nee-kay" on those internet sites.

Edited by rpeck (14/01/21 12:47 AM)

kuduae
.400 member

Reged: 13/01/10
Loc: middle of Germany
      #349233 - 14/01/21 10:19 AM

As a German, I am not familiar with English descriptions of pronounciations. But I speak “Nickel” just like Melanie once pronounced it in her “Nickel Song”:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAGeVtLOsYo

Rothhammer1
.400 member

Re: Nickel scope pronunciation [Re: kuduae]
      #349235 - 14/01/21 10:38 AM

--------------------

rpeck

#349243 - 14/01/21 10:59 PM

Quote:

why?

Rothhammer1
.400 member

#349292 - 16/01/21 05:22 AM

Quote:

why?

Why so large? Just the way the image was formatted, I suppose.

Why that image? It illustrates the first answer on this thread, from 93mouse, "It is just as a nickel - five-cent coin".

Why is a U.S. five cent coin referred to as a 'nickel'? The original five cent coin, as defined in the Mint Act of 1792, was a silver 'half dime' that was half the weight of the ten cent 'dime' and of the same alloy.

In the 1860s, with the Civil War raging and people hoarding all silver and gold coinage (which was also being shipped abroad by speculators as metal prices rose), there was a severe shortage of 'small change' in the United States.

In desperation, the public resorted to use of postage stamps as currency which became a great nuisance as they brought ragged, used, stamps to post offices to exchange for new ones.

As remedy, the Treasury Department issued 'Fractional Currency' notes of three to fifty cents as well as 'base metal' low denomination coins. Along with changing the cent composition to bronze in 1864 a new two cent bronze coin was added and in 1865 the three cent silver (1851 - 72) was joined by a three cent coin with a new composition of 75% copper, 25% nickel - the first 'Nickel'.

With the success of the new three cent 'nickel', a new five cent coin of the same 75/25 copper nickel mix was introduced in 1866, though the silver half dime would also be produced in decreasing numbers through 1873. The three cent 'nickel' was produced only through 1889, then largely forgotten. Over time the five cent became known as a 'Nickel' and is produced in the same metal today.

First U.S. 'Nickel' - Three Cents

Second 'Nickel' - Five Cents

Fractional Currency

By 1889 the emergency had passed, metal prices normalized, the two cent and three cent coins had been eliminated, but the one cent bronze and five cent 'nickel remained in production.

Why did the 1913 - 1938 'nickel' portray a Native American and a bison? In the early 20th Century, President Theodore Roosevelt had decided that U.S. coinage designs then in use were just plain bland. He sought artists from outside of the mint to design coinage that would 'reflect the American spirit' and for the five cent coin engaged the eminent husband and wife sculptors James and Laura Fraser. Fraser was well known as an artist and sculptor and would create the well known 'end of the trail' statue that was displayed at the 1915 Pan Pacific Exposition at San Francisco.

End of the Trail - James Fraser

The original plaster sculpture was subsequently displayed for decades at Mooney Park in Visalia, California (just 'down the hill' from where I now sit) until it was 'swapped' in 1968 to the National Cowboy and Western Heritage Museum in Oklahoma City, OK, in exchange for an exact cast bronze replica which is now at Mooney Park.

---------

Why is the name of a German riflescope pronounced the same as the word for a U.S. five cent coin? Beats me... I'm not a linguist.

--------------------

Edited by NitroX (19/01/21 09:24 PM)

eagle27
.400 member

Reged: 24/01/09
Loc: Nelson, New Zealand
      #349298 - 16/01/21 06:25 AM

There is no such thing as 'correct' pronunciation of any language just as there is a wide variation of pronunciation amongst native speakers of english. An english speaker, unless very fluent in another language, will generally mispronounce the other language compared with a native speaker and vice versa.

Sako, Brno, Mauser, Kahles, Swarovski, etc are all mispronounced by english speakers compared to their native language speaker but how english speakers pronounce them is not correct or incorrect it is what it is.

Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
      #349301 - 16/01/21 08:41 AM

Rothhammer1 thanks for posting that information, it is very interesting to me. I did not know the US had a Threepence. In Aust sometimes pronounced as Thrupemce. A half penny was "Hapeney"

Rothhammer1
.400 member

Re: Nickel scope pronunciation [Re: Rule303]
      #349306 - 16/01/21 11:00 AM

Quote:

Rothhammer1 thanks for posting that information, it is very interesting to me. I did not know the US had a Threepence. In Aust sometimes pronounced as Thrupemce. A half penny was "Hapeney"

I'm glad you liked it!

The U.S. 3c wasn't truly a 'threepence', as the U.S. has never issued a penny.

The United States Mint has, however, produced coinage for several other nations over the years including Threepence, Sixpence, Shillings and Florins for Australia during 1942 and 1943.

Minted at Denver, Colorado

U.S. Half Cent

As you may recall, the British 'LSD' system had 240 pence to a pound sterling. The U.S. system is quasi - decimal.

The United States monetary system and its divisions were laid out in the Mint Act of 1792. Per the Constitution, all accounts of the United States were to be expressed in "Spanish Milled Dollars" as they were the most widely respected currency throughout the Americas and maritime trade.

There was considerable merit seen among the 'age of enlightenment' element in establishing a decimal monetary system, yet there was a need to make convenient change for the Spanish dollar which was divided into eight 'reales' - the fabled 'pieces of eight'. Spanish mints produced subsidiary coins of one, two, and four reales for this purpose which widely circulated in the western hemisphere.

To satisfy the metric desire the act established cents (.01), dimes (.10), dollars (1), and eagles (10). To interchange with Spanish coin there would be half cent (.005), quarter dollar (.25) and half dollar (.50) coins. As the old saying went, "two bits, four bits, six bits, a dollar... . The real was commonly referred to as a 'bit' and was equal to twelve and a half cents.

Half dimes (.05), quarter eagles (2.50) and half eagles (5.00) were also included.

Hence, the original coinage of the United States was thus:

Copper

0.005 - Half Cent

0.01 - Cent

Silver

0.05 - Half Dime

0.10 - Dime

0.25 - Quarter Dollar

0.50 - Half Dollar

1.00 - Dollar (also 'Unit')

Gold

2.50 - Quarter Eagle

5.00 - Half Eagle

10.00 - Eagle

The original U.S. three cent was a tiny silver coin derisively known as a 'fishcale' which was introduced through U.S. Post Offices in 1851 as that was then the one ounce postal rate.

The California gold rush brought about the gold dollar and twenty dollar 'double eagle' coins (both 1849) and the short lived, seldom used, three dollar gold (1854).

Spanish coin remained legal tender in the U.S. until passage of the Coinage Act of 1857 which also saw the cent reduced in size and the half cent eliminated as it was no longer necessary to make change of a 'bit'.

The 'Civil War' period brought about bronze cents and two cent coins (1864), three cent and five cent 'nickels' (1865, 1866) as well as the motto, "In God We Trust".

The twenty cent coin of 1875-1878 was a case of political lobbying gone horribly awry - a coin that nobody wanted or needed.

Too easily confused with a quarter dollar, much as the
Susan B. Anthony Dollar of 1979-81 and 1999)

By 1889 several denominations would be dropped, leaving only the bronze cent, five cent nickel, silver dime, quarter, half dollar, and dollar as well as gold quarter eagle, half eagle, eagle, and double eagle.

The gold coins would be dropped in 1933 and the last 'silver dollar' was minted for circulation in 1935.

Attempts have been made to re introduce dollar coins to circulation. The 'SBA Dollar' of 1979-81 (and 1999) was a dismal failure as it too closely resembled a 'quarter' and the dollar note remained in production.

'Presidential', 'Sacajawea', and 'Native American' dollar coins have been produced since 2007 but also failed as dollar notes are still in production (at a loss of billions of dollars annually) and the American public is too stubborn to use them.

Presently the coinage commonly circulating in the United States, although all issues from 1792 onward remain legal tender, consists of the cent, five cent ('nickel'), ten cent ('dime'), and twenty five cent ('quarter').

Since 1965, dime through half dollar have been 'clad' coins composed of outer layers of the 75/25 copper nickel alloy (as the five cent 'nickel') bonded to a pure copper core. The Eisehower dollars (1971-1978) and 'SBA' dollars were also CN clad. In mid 1982 the cent was changed from bronze to copper plated zinc. The current 'golden' dollars are a clad coin with outer layers of copper, zinc, manganese, and nickel bonded to a pure copper core. Overall they are 88% copper

Half dollar and dollar coins can easily be obtained from banks but are seldom seen in actual use.

There are several other coins minted by the United States for collectors that are not intended for circulation such as commemorative issues and 'bullion coins'.

----------------------------------

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#349310 - 16/01/21 12:29 PM

Quote:

There is no such thing as 'correct' pronunciation of any language ....

Ha ha. Of course there is.

Which is why so many people go to big efforts to properly learn languages, proper pronunciation and correct grammar. As well as the meanings of words.

Just because there are often regional accents to a language doesn't mean there isn't a proper way of saying the words.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

vykkagur
.300 member

Reged: 28/11/19
      #349326 - 17/01/21 12:33 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Which is why so many people go to big efforts to properly learn languages, proper pronunciation and correct grammar. As well as the meanings of words.

Just because there are often regional accents to a language doesn't mean there isn't a proper way of saying the words.

Too bloody true, John!

Just because you're free to pronounce a word in your own quaint way, and because there are accepted regional differences (tomato/tomato), doesn't mean there aren't rules of proper pronunciation, grammar, and especially spelling. (Millennial thumb-talkers please take note!) Without agreed rules and practices, we would degenerate back to the prehistoric days of point and grunt. Much like using touchscreens and texting....

That being said, I have no idea of the accepted German pronunciation of the word nickel. Sorry.

eagle27
.400 member

Reged: 24/01/09
Loc: Nelson, New Zealand
      #349352 - 17/01/21 06:58 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Of course there is a proper pronunciation for the native speakers of any language, I was referring to pronunciation by non-native speakers. Listen to most English speakers pronounce Kahles, in Austrian/German it is "car less" whereas we usually pronounce it "carls".
Similarly Swarovski or any word starting with Sw. How many English speakers get the "sva" for Sw when pronouncing these words.
The well known VW cars, not "vee double you" as we English speakers say but "fou Vee" in Germman.

Obviously when in Rome try to pronounce as the Romans do but how we pronounce other language words doesn't matter in our own language we will understand each other.

Often no matter how hard we try we cannot produce the same sound as native speakers do. Try speaking English as a Scotsman does. Listen to Germans trying to get their tongue around the "th" in "the". Usually comes out as va, mind you many native English speakers use va too.

Rule303
.416 member

#349365 - 17/01/21 04:22 PM

Rothhammer1 that was interesting. In slang terms we called 1 shilling a "Bob" and a Florien-2 shillings- "2 Bob" Hence the saying "As silly as a 2Bob watch"

Re pronunciation. Even those fro the same country but different area can pronounce something differently. Some of this can be put down to accent. Look at the different pronunciations for "Tomato".

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Nickel scope pronunciation [Re: eagle27]
      #349367 - 17/01/21 05:50 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Of course there is a proper pronunciation for the native speakers of any language, I was referring to pronunciation by non-native speakers. Listen to most English speakers pronounce Kahles, in Austrian/German it is "car less" whereas we usually pronounce it "carls".

Everyone I know says similar to "kah-les". No one I know says "carls".

https://www.howtopronounce.com/german/kahles

Quote:

Similarly Swarovski or any word starting with Sw. How many English speakers get the "sva" for Sw when pronouncing these words.

Svar-of-skee

Quote:

The well known VW cars, not "vee double you" as we English speakers say but "fou Vee" in Germman.

Folks varg en

I do say the English Vee Double U.

Letters are usually said in the home country pronunciation ie English in English speaking countries. German in German.

Tried once to talk about BMW to a drunk German at a beerhall in Munich. Who worked there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKtAbo1T2Rw
How to Pronounce BMW? Full Form German + English Pronunciation & Meaning | Bayerische Motoren Werke

folk swaa gen

https://www.google.com/search?biw=1146&a...DCA0&uact=5

Quote:

Obviously when in Rome try to pronounce as the Romans do but how we pronounce other language words doesn't matter in our own language we will understand each other.

Often no matter how hard we try we cannot produce the same sound as native speakers do. Try speaking English as a Scotsman does. Listen to Germans trying to get their tongue around the "th" in "the". Usually comes out as va, mind you many native English speakers use va too.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#349368 - 17/01/21 05:53 PM

Here's one I said wrong before the internet a couple of decades ago.

pronunciation of german mauser

https://www.google.com/search?biw=1146&a...DCA0&uact=5

https://www.howtopronounce.com/german/mauser

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#349369 - 17/01/21 06:00 PM

eagle,

I always confuse youthful barristers by asking for a "Cafe Latte". Sometimes I am told "we don't make those". But they do make a "latte" ie a "milk". Cafe Latte is of course coffee with milk. Latte is just milk. French Cafe au Lait.

I try to refuse to use lazy language. And especially PC and "newspeak" language eg words like "gay" which means happy. I prefer to use "S.A.D."

BTW how does one get "AN TEEF FAR" from antifa ie anti fascist??? Simply anti fa.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#349370 - 17/01/21 06:03 PM

One to annoy our US friends.

pronunciation of zebra in english

zeh bruh

https://www.google.com/search?biw=1146&a...;sclient=psy-ab

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#349371 - 17/01/21 06:08 PM

pronunciation of himalayas

One I found interesting.

We normally say

Him a lay as

While the Indians usually say

Him ar li a or Him ar li as.

It seems both are correct.

However I will try to use the Indian pronunciation in future as I am sure the English version is the English residents pronunciation of the native word.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5SNCVLo4QQ
How To Say Himalaya

However per this one, the Hindi pronunciation is similar to the English version!

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Rothhammer1
.400 member

Re: Nickel scope pronunciation [Re: Rule303]
      #349386 - 18/01/21 06:31 AM

Quote:

Rothhammer1 that was interesting. In slang terms we called 1 shilling a "Bob" and a Florien-2 shillings- "2 Bob" Hence the saying "As silly as a 2Bob watch"

Re pronunciation. Even those fro the same country but different area can pronounce something differently. Some of this can be put down to accent. Look at the different pronunciations for "Tomato".

The British system also had the Farthing, Crown, Sovereign, Guinea, Groat... . This guy runs on as I do but is very informative: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRDOmgJyznI

Here are some promotional videos about 'decimalisation':

Aussie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZTeWLA1LAs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2f1TSRo-2M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qnmp-da-U6E

UK

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJNoPyoiWRQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=045Pm78sPkQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5i310U-HJLo

Back to pronunciation, here in the U.S. we have so many different accents and regional uses of words that it can be difficult for a person from one region to understand another if both speak in heavily accented "English" (or our versions of same).

California is a whole 'nuther matter. We can hold entire conversations by merely exchanging the word "dude" with differing inflection: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77v_Q0mhbZU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-9Y56sIY1E

--------------------

Rothhammer1
.400 member

#349387 - 18/01/21 06:39 AM

Quote:

One to annoy our US friends.

pronunciation of zebra in english

zeh bruh

https://www.google.com/search?biw=1146&a...;sclient=psy-ab

Trevor Noah on American 'English': https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e35b0nP4H28

Dare we consider pronunciations of 'Mannlicher'?

--------------------

Rule303
.416 member

#349402 - 18/01/21 01:01 PM

Quote:

eagle,

I always confuse youthful barristers by asking for a "Cafe Latte". Sometimes I am told "we don't make those". But they do make a "latte" ie a "milk". Cafe Latte is of course coffee with milk. Latte is just milk. French Cafe au Lait.

I try to refuse to use lazy language. And especially PC and "newspeak" language eg words like "gay" which means happy. I prefer to use "S.A.D."

BTW how does one get "AN TEEF FAR" from antifa ie anti fascist??? Simply anti fa.

To confuse them I just as for a Black Cappuccino:-) I get some weird reactions out of that.

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 10 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 6268

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com