Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: 6.5x53R from Buffalo Arms (USA)

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mannlicher Discussion forum & Archive

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
3DogMike
.400 member

Reged: 29/01/15
Loc: Western Slope, Colorado USA
6.5x53R from Buffalo Arms (USA)
      #340868 - 08/05/20 07:32 AM

For anyone looking for 6.5x53R (.256 Mannlicher).
CAUTION: Thin case rims.....
Buffalo Arms is once again back in stock using brass reformed from PPU .303 British. The brass and formed cases are not the issue; however the case rims have been trimmed back to only ~.045” thick on these.

As far as I have ever seen, the “Standard” 6.5x53R/.256 Mannlichr case rims for “vintage” British rifles ought to be ~.060”-.067” thick and the .303 Brit rims are fine as they come from Remington, Winchester, Hornady, PPU.
Buffalo Arms thins the rim to ~.045”, so their cases may have ~ .015”.020” excessive headspace on older rifles unless properly headspaced off the shoulder.

The issue is likely a result of some published dimensions/drawings on Wikipedia, AmmoGuide, and CIP (possibly others) that reference an .049” rim thickness. (When did CIP standards occur?)

This is not a huge issue for guys with single shots or single loaded bolt rifles if the headspace is looked after, however these thin rim cases are a poor fit in the Dutch/Romanian en-block charger clips and tend to jam, that and being simply “not right”.

Buffalo Arms has told me by phone that I can return for a full refund which I will do, but they insist that their dimensions are fine and “they have been selling 6.5x53R cases like this for 25 years, that I am their 1st complaint , and I can just buy Bertram Brass”......so there I guess. Matter settled?

As an aside; properly headstamped Bertram Brass, while much more expensive and often short supply in the USA, is dimensioned as expected for vintage Brit rifles and works quite well.
Too, it is not a terrible amount of work to form ones own brass from .303 British. My choice of Remington .303 British rims work just fine in the Dutch Mannlicher clips and match the dimensions of Bertram.
- Mike

EDITED...... bold face added.....

--------------------
"Here's to killing people you don't like with people you do"

"Will Rogers never met a fighter pilot"
- Anon

“Always carry a flask of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore always carry a small snake."
-- W. C. Fields

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: 6.5x53R from Buffalo Arms (USA) [Re: 3DogMike]
      #340869 - 08/05/20 07:42 AM

Good info, Mike.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Slowflyer
.224 member

Reged: 22/03/12
Loc: ACT, Australia
Re: 6.5x53R from Buffalo Arms (USA) [Re: DarylS]
      #340871 - 08/05/20 08:55 AM

Thanks, Mike. You have me intrigued. I have been forming cases from Winchester 303 Brit brass and they work well in the en-block etc.I will go and measure the rim thickness, though.
Regards, Murray

kuduae
.400 member

Reged: 13/01/10
Loc: middle of Germany
Re: 6.5x53R from Buffalo Arms (USA) [Re: Slowflyer]
      #340882 - 08/05/20 11:31 PM

The maximum rim dimensions for any commercial loads to be sold in Europe are prescribed by the CIP. According to the CIP tables the rims of the .5x53R Mannlicher are 1.25 mm = .049" max thickness and 13.4mm = .528" dameter, while the .303 British rims are 1.63 mm = .064" thick and 13.72 mm = .540" wide. I never had any problems with the larger rim thickness of reformed .303 brass in 3 Rifles, but I had to reduce the rim diameter slightly to work in my Gibbs Mannlicher. Besides, the cases with the reduced rim diameters move far better through the Dutch and Portuguese en-bloc clips I have.

3DogMike
.400 member

Re: 6.5x53R from Buffalo Arms (USA) [Re: kuduae]
      #340884 - 09/05/20 01:23 AM

Quote:

The maximum rim dimensions for any commercial loads to be sold in Europe are prescribed by the CIP. According to the CIP tables the rims of the .5x53R Mannlicher are 1.25 mm = .049" max thickness and 13.4mm = .528" dameter, while the .303 British rims are 1.63 mm = .064" thick and 13.72 mm = .540" wide. I never had any problems with the larger rim thickness of reformed .303 brass in 3 Rifles, but I had to reduce the rim diameter slightly to work in my Gibbs Mannlicher. Besides, the cases with the reduced rim diameters move far better through the Dutch and Portuguese en-bloc clips I have.

Kuduae, thanks for the informed input.
This is interesting in that any of the vintage Brit rifles in the 6.5x53R/.256 Mannlicher that I have examined all have a rim seat or headspace of ~.060”. Same of course for ~8mm Rimmed, as well as .375 2 1/2” NE, and .303 British
I wonder if rims were thicker prior to CIP standardization?
Old vintage ammo seems to be of thicker rim as well.

- Mike

Buffalo re-formed and trimmed on the left, Bertram 6.5x53R on the right

--------------------

- Anon

“Always carry a flask of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore always carry a small snake."
-- W. C. Fields

Waidmannsheil
.400 member

Reged: 19/04/13
Loc: Melbourne Australia
      #340893 - 09/05/20 07:33 PM

Ok gents as always I have much interest in anything Mannlicher related so here are some dimensions that I took of some cases that I have here:

- Kynoch 0.063" thick x 0.520" dia.

- S&B 0.063" thick x 0.524" dia.

- Bertram 0.064" thick x 0.524" dia.

- Military 0.063" thick x 0.526" dia.

Matt.

--------------------
There is nothing wrong with vegetarian food, so long as there is meat with it.

Waidmannsheil
.400 member

#340895 - 09/05/20 07:54 PM

Thanks for the heads up Mike. Pity about the dumb arse answer from Buffalo Arms. I get that answer all the time from suppliers selling product that is shit. Drives you insane. The fact that they were happy to take the product back and reimburse you the full amount without questions tells you that you are far from the first customer to have problems or complaints. If you were genuinely the first with that problem they would want to investigate so that it doesn't happen again. Sound like a bunch or turds to avoid.

Matt.

--------------------

3DogMike
.400 member

Re: 6.5x53R from Buffalo Arms (USA) [Re: Waidmannsheil]
      #340901 - 10/05/20 12:17 AM

Quote:

Ok gents as always I have much interest in anything Mannlicher related so here are some dimensions that I took of some cases that I have here:

- Kynoch 0.063" thick x 0.520" dia.

- S&B 0.063" thick x 0.524" dia.

- Bertram 0.064" thick x 0.524" dia.

- Military 0.063" thick x 0.526" dia.

Matt.

Matt,
This is great real world practical info, exactly the confirmation of my suspicions that I was looking for.
So C.I.P. = AFU

In addition, I have been in contact with Bruce Bertram and he was kind enough to send me a vintage drawing with specs for the original 6.5x53R that also confirm the expected proper ~.063”-067” rim thickness.

It is unfortunate that the Euro C.I.P. organization has codified the incorrect dimensions. Not that there are any new rifles or ammunition being made but it does reinforce other bad information used by producers such as Buffalo Arms.

A debt if gratitude to Bruce Bertram for having the passion to “get it right”.

- Mike

--------------------

- Anon

-- W. C. Fields

3DogMike
.400 member

#340907 - 10/05/20 01:48 AM

Many thanks to Bruce Bertram
- Mike

--------------------

- Anon

-- W. C. Fields

Slowflyer
.224 member

#340935 - 10/05/20 09:12 AM

Thanks Guys, very enlightening. Here I was thinking the CIP was the Bible.

BTW have any of your experienced the 'double shoulder' that I get when I fire-form my cases in my Dutch East Indies carbine?
Murray

Edited by Slowflyer (10/05/20 11:03 AM)

Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
      #340948 - 10/05/20 09:53 PM

No!

WTF?

Do they stay like that after second firing?

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

Slowflyer
.224 member

Re: 6.5x53R from Buffalo Arms (USA) [Re: Marrakai]
      #340950 - 10/05/20 10:31 PM

Yes, the chamber cast is as per the fired case.
M.

bouldersmith
.375 member

Reged: 23/03/06
Loc: Boulder Colorado
      #340951 - 10/05/20 10:48 PM

Someone who should not have been on that side of the bench has run a reamer or other cutting device into your chamber cutting it way larger than spec. Watch that brass carefully, you do not want a failed case.

--------------------
New website http://www.bertramandco.com

kuduae
.400 member

#340952 - 10/05/20 11:23 PM

Quote:

BTW have any of your experienced the 'double shoulder' that I get when I fire-form my cases in my Dutch East Indies carbine?

Looks like someone lengthened the chamber using a common drill bit. Perhaps done during or after WW2 to allow chambering some available ammunition, 6.5 Japanese?

kuduae
.400 member

#340967 - 11/05/20 02:55 AM

BTW, the 6.5x53R Mannlicher is not listed any more in the current CIP tables:
https://bobp.cip-bobp.org/en/tdcc_public?page=1&cartridge_type_id=2

3DogMike
.400 member

#341013 - 12/05/20 12:23 AM

INTERESTING:
I guess a nerve was touched; Buffalo have, in the last couple of days, added a disclaimer as to rim thickness.

https://www.buffaloarms.com/6-5x53r-dutc...ss-6-5x53rdutch

Still not correct, but at least the info is there.
- Mike

--------------------

- Anon

-- W. C. Fields

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #341038 - 12/05/20 03:05 PM

From this thread or your emails to them? Or are you talking about it on other forums as well? Just interested, if they visit here, I want to order some charger clips from them.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

3DogMike
.400 member

Re: 6.5x53R from Buffalo Arms (USA) [Re: NitroX]
      #341050 - 13/05/20 12:43 AM

Quote:

From this thread or your emails to them? Or are you talking about it on other forums as well? Just interested, if they visit here, I want to order some charger clips from them.

Hello Nitro John,
Speaking to me? I have had one phone conversation with Buffalo Arms to set up the return of the brass with “thin” rims.The results of that conversation were noted in my first post above.

Actually this is the only forum that I choose to post on. The “other” is just too populated by nasty dispositions and know it all types for me to stand it.

I wonder if Mannlicher clips could be “repurposed” (wink, wink) into “spring steel auto body retention devices” and sent down to Oz? No restrictions on export/import of car parts......
- Mike

--------------------

- Anon

-- W. C. Fields

Rothhammer1
.400 member

Reged: 06/01/17
Loc: The Redwoods of California
      #341052 - 13/05/20 01:25 AM

Quote:

I wonder if Mannlicher clips could be “repurposed” (wink, wink) into “spring steel auto body retention devices” and sent down to Oz? No restrictions on export/import of car parts......
- Mike

Some assembly required?

--------------------
Citizen of the Cherokee Nation

Slowflyer
.224 member

Re: 6.5x53R from Buffalo Arms (USA) [Re: Rothhammer1]
      #341074 - 13/05/20 04:49 PM

Mystery solved regarding my 'double shoulder'.

I understand that the 'double shoulder' was common when the Dutch East Indies rifle/carbines were re-bored/re-chambered to 303 Brit since the 303 has a sharper taper. What puzzled me was that my bore was still the original 6.5mm. It turns out that I have a Dutch Mannlicher that is chambered (badly) for 6.5/303. I just ran a 303 case through a 6.5 mm neck sizing die down to a point where the rim to neck length was the same as the fired case and it chambered perfectly. I then made up a dummy round with a Woodleigh 160 gr round nose and seated it to the base of the neck and it chambered without any difficulty.

If nothing else it makes forming brass a heap easier! That said I will trim the formed case by .020 inches because it is exceptionally close to the chamber length indicated by the chamber cast.

Murray

Edited by Slowflyer (14/05/20 10:44 AM)

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #341095 - 15/05/20 03:11 AM

Cut off and shifted the completely off topic posts. Sometimes it is better to start a new thread. In case the OP wants his discussion continued.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Rothhammer1
.400 member

Re: 6.5x53R from Buffalo Arms (USA) [Re: NitroX]
      #341101 - 15/05/20 11:02 AM

Quote:

Cut off and shifted the completely off topic posts. Sometimes it is better to start a new thread. In case the OP wants his discussion continued.

Sorry about that.

Got a bit carried away again.

--------------------

3DogMike
.400 member

Re: 6.5x53R from Buffalo Arms (USA) [Re: Rothhammer1]
      #341102 - 15/05/20 11:27 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Sorry about that.

Got a bit carried away again.

Didn’t bother me in the least. Besides, who knows if a Dutch Mannlicher clip might be useful for field repair of a WWII Jeep?
(And my wife has her parents ‘87 Suzuki Samurai In good running order - I call it the Yogi Bear car)
- Mike

--------------------

- Anon

-- W. C. Fields

Rothhammer1
.400 member

#341107 - 15/05/20 03:02 PM

Quote:

Didn’t bother me in the least... And my wife has her parents ‘87 Suzuki Samurai In good running order - I call it the Yogi Bear car)
- Mike

--------------------

Waidmannsheil
.400 member

#341153 - 17/05/20 11:24 AM

Mike, further to our discussion regarding case rim size for the 6.5x53R case. Rolland sent me a copy of an older edition of Handloader Magazine where the author David Webb goes into some detail as regards to rim thickness (Maybe Rolland could post the article for us). What is interesting is that there were actually two different rim thicknesses, 0.060" for the Dutch Mannlicher rifle and 0.075" for the Romanian Mannlicher rifle. Both of these cartridges had different case designations from DWM and Roth.

Also of interest is some information that I have from a very rare book written by some Dutch authors on the M1895 Dutch rifles and the cartridges that the dutch army used. It is written in Dutch and English and some very interesting photos and drawings although unfortunately most of the dimensions on the drawings of the cartridges are basically unreadable. During their time there were two case profiles, a 1910 and a 1915 and early cases used a rounded head which was changed later on to a flat head as the rounded head was prone to gas leaks if a primer was pierced.

Now here is the interesting bit, These original production drawings show both the rims of both the 1910 and the 1915 profile to be 0.051" thick with a tolerance of +0.004".

So which is correct and what is correct and who is correct. The military brass that I have has a rim of 0.063" and yet the original drawings (They look like a scan of a microfiche drawing) show 0.051" to 0.055" which is actually closer to the Buffalo Arms claim.

However herein lies the problem in that none of my three Mannlicher rifles have headspace that is remotely acceptable even with the Kynoch brass. Two are 0.0018" and one is 0.014", and to make matters worse on one rifle, the Gibbs,(I haven't done this check yet with the other two rifles) the counter bore for the rim in the back of the barrel is o.o73" deep meaning even if the bolt head were to touch against the back of the barrel there would still be 0.010" headspace. This of course means that the only way that you can get good case life is to re-form the brass and bring the shoulder forward so that they headspace on the shoulder rather than the rim. Which is something that you can not do if you have factory ammo which I do and want to use.

I strongly believe that the reputation Kynoch had for case head separation and splits had nothing to do with the quality of the brass but instead was a victim of excessive headspace, for when I fire the the same Kynoch factory ammo with 0.014" of packing tape on the head, the cases are perfect with zero thinning when measured afterwards, even though the brass wall thickness is 0.010" thinner than my 338 Win Mag Winchester Brass.

The one thing that we can be sure about in regards to 6.5x53R ammo and the associated rifles is that nothing is set in stone and everything need to be checked before shooting.

Matt.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 12 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 9961

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com