Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Cased rifle accoutrements

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mannlicher Discussion forum & Archive

Pages: 1
Rolland
.333 member

Reged: 31/12/06
Loc: Camp Verde, AZ
Cased rifle accoutrements
      #340680 - 03/05/20 11:11 AM

What is normally included with the British style bolt action rifle when cased. I assume screwdrivers, oiler cleaning rod and tips and ??????????????

Edited by Rolland (03/05/20 11:12 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Waidmannsheil
.400 member

Reged: 19/04/13
Loc: Melbourne Australia
Re: Cased rifle accoutrements [Re: Rolland]
      #340686 - 03/05/20 02:18 PM

Normally the sling with the sling swivel is rolled up and fitted in a small compartment. A couple of boxes of Kynoch ammunition are also often carried as well as a cleaning cloth. A couple of spare sight blades as well.

Matt.

--------------------
There is nothing wrong with vegetarian food, so long as there is meat with it.

Edited by Waidmannsheil (03/05/20 02:20 PM)

Rothhammer1
.400 member

Reged: 06/01/17
Loc: The Redwoods of California
      #340698 - 03/05/20 05:01 PM

As this question is posted to the Mannlicher forum, I'll assume you're inquiring about cased Mannlichers.

In the case (pun intended) of the Mannlicher Schoenauer sporting rifles and carbines, examples such as my own 9.5X57 'British Takedown' (as manufactured by Steyr) tend to be entirely similar to those in these images - rather basic as compared to 'over the top' contemporary examples of cased British shotguns, et al..

The purpose of these cases was to reduce the space required in one's luggage while traveling. Note description below from the 1939 Stoeger Catalog:

My M1910 case looks very similar to this one (mine lacks the label, blocks are slightly different). It dates from the 1920s and was purchased 'second hand' by my grandfather in Ceylon in 1932 or prior with enclosed M1910 Takedown Model bearing Austrian proof marks from 1922.

The rifle therein, held by (G'dad) John Forrest Easton.

Here is a more elaborate case, a recent bit of art and craftsmanship from Westley Richards:

Rolland
.333 member

Reged: 31/12/06
Loc: Camp Verde, AZ
Re: Cased rifle accoutrements [Re: Rothhammer1]
      #340785 - 05/05/20 02:52 PM

Yes I was referring to Mannlicher's I want to put mine up in a case as close to what was original as possible. It's not a take down but I have another action coming and that one will be a TD as soon as I figure out the best configuration for the Hemburg style.

Rothhammer1
.400 member

#340788 - 05/05/20 07:14 PM

Quote:

Yes I was referring to Mannlicher's I want to put mine up in a case as close to what was original as possible. It's not a take down but I have another action coming and that one will be a TD as soon as I figure out the best configuration for the Hemburg style.

Are we talking Mannlicher Schoenauer, M1895...?

As cases were not made by Steyr they will vary widely per the tastes and requirements of gunmakers and customers who ordered them. There were trends, but no certain rules. A compartment closely fitting one's claw mount scope may be the cat's pajamas for those with such optics while the shape would be different if one carries a leather cased scope therein and it would be unnecessary for an arm with iron sights only. An M1895 case may provide a space fitted for several en bloc clips which would differ in size and shape from an MS' stripper clipped cartridges.

If it were me I would take in all of the images I could find of contemporary cased examples, consider my requirements and desires, then search for 'old style' cases available today that could be modified, if necessary, or perhaps custom ordered.

After all, that is likely what you would do in 1925 if you had an uncased rifle for which you were to purchase a case. There were, of course, also 'generic' cases available then as now.

"Rifle covers and cases for Mannlichers"

From the 1939 Stoeger Catalog

Above is a cased M1895 by Daniel Fraser.

Here are a few non - takedown cased Mannlicher Schoenauers:

A long case

MS stutzen, cased

Followed by some 'break open' style takedowns:

Then some MS in the Steyr 'British' take down system, cased:

Empty case with scope case at lower left

This one seems to have a space fitted for the Schoenauer magazine which would fit just as well if installed in the action. To each one's own, I suppose. By the length of the case I suspect it was reconfigured for the MS takedown rather than having been originally made for it.

A general 'rule of thumb' seems to be that Mannlicher cases are for travel and compactness moreso than are elegantly appointed shotgun cases used on the estate from one's shooting brake. Keep it simple, well fitted, and containing necessities without ostentation and you'll have a proper traveling case for your Mannlicher.

Even this more elaborate affair, a cased Mauser 660 factory fitted as a three barrel set with two scopes, keeps case contents down to the basics:

Finding a case: Explora

Brief case history: Midway

Builder / restorer: Huey Gun Cases

Here is one source for 'old style' - ish modern cases. Not an endorsement, just the first one I found on the 'net. There are several more: https://www.jeffsoutfitters.com/product/canvas-leather-gun-case-for-rifle-up-to-45/

Another: DoubleGunShop

Edit - I just found a very interesting tutorial of sorts showing how to rebuild / reconfigure the innards of an old British case: DoubleGun Forums

More about restoration: ShootingUK

Some quite lovely and rather expensive cases: Arno Werner

chapmen
.300 member

Reged: 26/02/10
Loc: Middle of germany
      #340790 - 05/05/20 09:32 PM

Not real on topic, but very hard to find, an case from german gunmaker Leue/Berlin.

Edited by chapmen (05/05/20 09:35 PM)

Rothhammer1
.400 member

Re: Cased rifle accoutrements [Re: chapmen]
      #340791 - 05/05/20 10:55 PM

Quote:

Not real on topic, but very hard to find, an case from german gunmaker Leue/Berlin.

Quite relevant, I'd say. A shotgun case on the simple plan.

Makes me curious to know what's under the lid of the green box, though. The scope looks rather out of place.

--------------------
Citizen of the Cherokee Nation

chapmen
.300 member

Reged: 26/02/10
Loc: Middle of germany
      #340792 - 05/05/20 11:00 PM

It was found with the shown Drilling, but i think too that it was for an shotgun. Under the lid is nothing, just space.

The adress on top "Rittergut Neindorf" is still existing in the middle of germany near Hannover, H.Schneider was the owner untill 1945.

--------------------
some fine old guns from germany :
www.jagdwaffensammler.de

Edited by chapmen (05/05/20 11:01 PM)

3DogMike
.400 member

Reged: 29/01/15
Loc: Western Slope, Colorado USA
Re: Cased rifle accoutrements [Re: chapmen]
      #340875 - 08/05/20 12:02 PM

My Wm. Evans .256 Mannlicher Model 1893 is noted in their records as being supplied with monogrammed case that included cleaning rod, brush, oil, and a polishing cloth. That was it.
Still in the original (exterior very worn) case, & still showing first owners initials.
- Mike

--------------------
"Here's to killing people you don't like with people you do"

"Will Rogers never met a fighter pilot"
- Anon

“Always carry a flask of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore always carry a small snake."
-- W. C. Fields

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 11 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3386

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com