Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Westley Richards .375/43/270 Proprietary Cartridge

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mannlicher Discussion forum & Archive

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Westley Richards .375/43/270 Proprietary Cartridge [Re: Huvius]
      #340155 - 17/04/20 02:09 AM

That is easy, Huvius, with a single die in a single pass, then necking them down to hold a bullet with a false shoulder.
I did mine for both the 9.3x57 from 8x57 brass and the .375/06IMP from .30/06, .270 and .35 Whelen in a single pass
using an expander I made as well as a .452" expander for pistol rounds, that I tapered the end to fit into .35 Whelen cases.
Single pass, not multiple steps. When dong this with old .'06 cases, I lost only 8 cases in just over 200 empties. I could have annealed them but wanted to test to see how many I lost. I did the first 100 with only 2 losses. I thought that acceptable, since it was old brass. When using new brass or once fired range pickup, no loss.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Huvius
.416 member

Reged: 04/11/07
Loc: Colorado
Re: Westley Richards .375/43/270 Proprietary Cartridge [Re: DarylS]
      #340158 - 17/04/20 03:57 AM

Well Daryl, I did what I did - obviously the hard way - so now have 48pcs of brass which on fire forming will be enough I’d think.
What do you think of my cast bullet question?
24grs of 4198 with a bit of a filler seems like a reasonable plinking/fire forming load to me. I don’t want to go straight to full loads with the newly annealed brass and think a fire form and trim if needed would be nice.

--------------------
He who lives in the past is doomed to enjoy it.

Rothhammer1
.400 member

Reged: 06/01/17
Loc: The Redwoods of California
      #340232 - 18/04/20 05:28 PM

Quote:

I decided it would be prudent to draw the cases out as close to cylindrical as I can and then resize them back... I was very fortunate to source some of the Hornady 270gr RN bullets...

In my GB purchase I also received a box of cast 265gr gas checked and lubed bullets which I think could be helpful in fire forming the brass before full power loads are made.
I have seen reduced cast loads with IMR4198 (which I have a bit).
Would it be appropriate to load these with the bullet touching the lands with a nice firm bolt closure insuring the rim is up against the bolt face?

It sounds to me like you're very much on track.

For your last question, "Would it be appropriate to load these with the bullet touching the lands with a nice firm bolt closure insuring the rim is up against the bolt face?", I'm not entirely sure as I've never used cast bullets in mine.

There is another NE member, Sharps4590 http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showprofi...73&box=sent who has extensive experience casting and shooting bullets for an M1908. He may be one to provide a definitive answer to cast bullet questions. He posts more frequently on another 'site, TheFirearmsForum, so if he doesn't answer on NE you might try him there.

I have always loaded mine to the factory specs. with the Hornady 3715 and measured them against vintage DWM531 to verify. Stick to the Eley drawing and they should perform flawlessly.

--------------------
Citizen of the Cherokee Nation

Edited by Rothhammer1 (19/04/20 08:05 AM)

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #340250 - 19/04/20 03:44 AM

Quote:

Well Daryl, I did what I did - obviously the hard way - so now have 48pcs of brass which on fire forming will be enough I’d think.
What do you think of my cast bullet question?
24grs of 4198 with a bit of a filler seems like a reasonable plinking/fire forming load to me. I don’t want to go straight to full loads with the newly annealed brass and think a fire form and trim if needed would be nice.

I am a firm believer that fireforming loads should be a decent load, not a light load. Light loads do not form the brass properly and can actually induce headspace problems.
In a ctg. that does not have a high pressure ceiling, it is a good idea, I think, to use a full powered load.
This will actually produce less pressure than if the same load is fired in a formed case, as energy is used up in forming the case. The difference is usually quite small, though,
however that load used in forming the case will usually produce less velocity than the same load in a formed case.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 23 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 8568

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com