Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Use of spitzer bullets in the 6.5x54 M-S?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mannlicher Discussion forum & Archive

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Vintage_Canvas
.275 member

Reged: 18/02/20
Loc: Western Cape, South Africa
Re: Use of spitzer bullets in the 6.5x54 M-S? [Re: Rothhammer1]
      #382777 - 23/02/24 06:26 AM

John, sorry for only joining the party now...
My experience with my 6.5x54 was the following...
As I have a few other 6.5 calibers, I have a variety of 6.5 bullets! When I only put a empty piece of brass in my MS rifle's magazine, there is no way that it will even move more than 5mm when I try to close the bolt. if i load a 160gr Hornady RN bullet just 1mm to short, it will not feed! it will get stuck in the magazine after the bolt has grabbed the cartridge. i have tried other 6.5 bullets, from 120gr all the way to 160gr in various types and shapes. In my rifle the Hornady RN or any other similar bullet work fine, but no spitzer or lighter bullet feed in my rifle.... no matter how far I try to seat the bullet!

In my 9.5x57 MS it seems that the feeding is less problematic with seating dept. Allthough i have only used the Hornady 270gr RN bullets up to now, as we do not have all the restrictions on lead bullets that the guys have in Europe! As Kuduae I also have a couple of 100 Hornady RN bullets and will use them for hunting any type of game up to Eland. In my rifle they work fine and why change the wheel???

--------------------
"the real Africa is still out there... you just need to know where to find it"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Rothhammer1
.400 member

Reged: 06/01/17
Loc: The Redwoods of California
Re: Use of spitzer bullets in the 6.5x54 M-S? [Re: Vintage_Canvas]
      #382787 - 23/02/24 12:22 PM

Quote:

Allthough i have only used the Hornady 270gr RN bullets up to now, as we do not have all the restrictions on lead bullets that the guys have in Europe! As Kuduae I also have a couple of 100 Hornady RN bullets and will use them for hunting any type of game up to Eland. In my rifle they work fine and why change the wheel???

I have laid in a supply of (now nearly extinct) Hornady #3715 as well as several lots of Midway '.375 270 grain RN blems' (absolutely nothing appears to be 'wrong' with them) that are identical for my precious M1910, and Qual - Cart 9.5X57 brass.

It has, admittedly, been an age or two since I've loaded cartridges for her. In the intervening years California (wherein I reside) has decided that critters can't be hit with lead things.

That leaves me with components for hundreds of rounds of target ammo (which may be used on critters if I cross a state line to shoot them) and a desire to know what 'certified non lead' projectiles others have used with success in an MS Model of 1910.

Perhaps a good topic for another thread: unleaded fuel fur der 'pre WW2' Mannlicher Schoenauer?

--------------------
Citizen of the Cherokee Nation

Hook
.224 member

Reged: 01/03/18
Loc: Heart of Dixie
Re: Use of spitzer bullets in the 6.5x54 M-S? [Re: Rothhammer1]
      #383262 - 09/03/24 12:21 PM

NitroX, you have received much good info in this thread. I will add my experience for what it's worth. Bought a terrific 1903 several years ago and scrounged up a small amount of brass to use in working up loads. I normally do not use factory ammo for any reason except to make empty cases. But when I stumbled across a stack of 6.5 M-S ammo in the old wood grained boxes at a Birmingham gun show, I jumped on them. There was 11 boxes of 139 gr spire pts and a single box of 156 RNs.

The spire points had to be slammed hard to get them to feed. The RNs fed OK but I only shot one. The velocity of it was about 200 fps more than the 139s, so I pulled the rest down and loaded less powder. Had a lot of fun shooting all those loads but the hard feeding was a PITA. Actually killed a 6 pt whitetail with a 139 before they were all gone.

I tried 129, 140, and 120 gr SPs and none would feed smoothly. I eventually settled on Hornady 160 gr RNs and PPU 156 kinda sorta RNs. They both feed very well but require an exact OAL to do so. They work on WTs very well but I would use SPs if I could get them to feed slickly. Many people have had luck with SPs but not me.

Hope yours is easier to feed than mine!

Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
Re: Use of spitzer bullets in the 6.5x54 M-S? [Re: Hook]
      #383263 - 09/03/24 02:14 PM

Just this week I had occasion to compare my example of the 1903 MS with a friend's recent acquisition, and hand-loaded some cartridges for him in leu of his dies and reloading components arriving.

Shane's example needed a "bump" to feed the 160gr RNs from the magazine into the chamber, whereas mine was slick. Close examination revealed that mine had an angled feed-ramp, whereas his was hardly ramped at all. The nose of the bullet was virtually jamming against the near-vertical ramp before the magazine and action-rails released the cartridge.

We didn't try different seating depths, but crimped into the cannelure on the 160gr Hornady bullet.

My friend has undertaken to live with the "bump" for now, knowing that some feed ramp adjustment might be needed in the foreseeable future if it gives him the sh!ts...

Just sayin'...

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

DonZ
.300 member

Reged: 24/12/12
Loc: BW
Re: Use of spitzer bullets in the 6.5x54 M-S? [Re: Marrakai]
      #383279 - 10/03/24 05:06 AM

Notes from my experience with rifles proofed in 1921 and 1939:

Hornady bullets crimped to the cannelure are too short. Slightly longer feed better. I was considering polishing the feed ramp, and then I learned that I did not have that problem with RWS rounds. I compared the two, and learned that the RWS COL was in fact longer, and when I seated at the longer length, they fed far better.

New Old Stock Norma 140 grain spitzers fed well and grouped well. I was actually getting better groups from the Normas that I did with NOS RWS 160 grains, but a big part of that may have been me.

My experimenting with Woodleigh 160 grain spitzers will continue when the weather warms. I've heard that when Woodleigh goes back into production, 6.5mm will be a priority, and I'm hoping this is true. I only have about 75 bullets left, and will use many of them developing a load. Here's hoping... Fortunately, I have about 100 Woodleigh round nose, and another 200 Hornady round nose to play with.

--------------------
Honor never grows old, and honor rejoices the heart of age...

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Use of spitzer bullets in the 6.5x54 M-S? [Re: DonZ]
      #383281 - 10/03/24 05:52 AM

What about Hornady 140gr. Interlock or Interbond Spitzers, Don?

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

DonZ
.300 member

Reged: 24/12/12
Loc: BW
Re: Use of spitzer bullets in the 6.5x54 M-S? [Re: DarylS]
      #383303 - 10/03/24 02:15 PM

Sorry Daryl. I haven't tried those yet, so I have no experience with them. Right now I'm working through my stash of NOS RWS 160 grains, and saving brass!

--------------------
Honor never grows old, and honor rejoices the heart of age...

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 33 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 15599

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com