Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: breda mannlicher?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mannlicher Discussion forum & Archive

Pages: 1
ducmarc
.400 member

Reged: 14/07/14
Loc: fla
breda mannlicher?
      #281476 - 24/04/16 10:59 PM

There's a 1927 breda complete barreled action on gunbroker looks like a factory Greek mannlicher rotary mag and all got a crap ass willams sight stuck on it in 6.5 x54.i bid it up to 150. But really don't need another project.

--------------------
'killed by death' Lemmy.. ' boil the dog ' Elvis Manywounds "my best friend is my magnum forty four" hank willams the third.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
szihn
.400 member

Reged: 24/06/07
Loc: Wind River Valley, Wyoming
Re: breda mannlicher? [Re: ducmarc]
      #281477 - 24/04/16 11:18 PM

I am finishing one up now.
Cool project.

BillfromOregon
.333 member

Reged: 27/10/04
Loc: Sweetwater, by God Texas
Re: breda mannlicher? [Re: szihn]
      #281623 - 28/04/16 06:03 AM

Hmmm. I just bought a 1927 Breda action with butterknifed bolt handle. Thought I would barrel it for 6.5X54, but am having some trouble finding inletted or semi-inletted stocks. Looks like Richard's Micro-fit makes one.

szihn
.400 member

Re: breda mannlicher? [Re: BillfromOregon]
      #281626 - 28/04/16 07:45 AM

I made my own, and in comparison to some it was not all that difficult.
I am going to install an under-lug on the barrel and put a cross-key and a set of silver executions in the forend. Then I am ready to sand and finish the wood. I'll also polish the metal and engrave it. I am thinking about doing a Bavarian carved border around the pistol grip and forend and filling the borders with 26 LPI checkering, but I may go with the more typical Austrian pattern. Have not decided yet.
I also made a butter knife bolt handle to replace the old 1927 "Green Olive" that they come with. It looks as if it came that way from the factory now.
I made my own rear sight base and used the old 3 blade sight with one center blade for 100 yd zero, one that folds toward the receiver for 200 and one that folds away for 300.

(as a side note, I used ,the last one of these old sights I had. Does anyone here know where I can get some more?)

I used a Green mountain 6.5 barrel and re-barreled the gun myself. The one that it had was too rusted out inside to be of any use at all. The new one shoots as well as I can hold it.

Edited by szihn (28/04/16 07:46 AM)

BillfromOregon
.333 member

Reged: 27/10/04
Loc: Sweetwater, by God Texas
      #281627 - 28/04/16 08:01 AM

Friend, please post your work of art when you have her completed. I am sure it will be stunning. Oh to have any sort of woodworking and metalworking talent!

szihn
.400 member

Re: breda mannlicher? [Re: BillfromOregon]
      #281629 - 28/04/16 09:52 AM

I'll do that is I can. I am a lot better gunsmith than I am a "cyber-geek" so posting pictures is something that sometimes defeats me.
If I cannot do it PM me and I'll send them to you directly.

Waidmannsheil
.400 member

Reged: 19/04/13
Loc: Melbourne Australia
      #281656 - 28/04/16 08:55 PM

I think we would all be interested in seeing some photos of that project.

Waidmannsheil.

--------------------
There is nothing wrong with vegetarian food, so long as there is meat with it.

szihn
.400 member

Re: breda mannlicher? [Re: Waidmannsheil]
      #281669 - 29/04/16 01:26 AM

I am going to make and inlet the silver oval escutcheons today. I'll then be ready to start finish work.

I am drawing and also looking for other patterns to engrave on the metal. Nothing that is super fine or fancy, but nice and elegant to add some value and class to the rifle.

Any pictures you guys have would be appreciated too. I look at what I can find to get inspiration for the work to come.

In doing the stock work I finish the stock 100% before I carve the borders or do the checkering.
The only exception is in cases where I do silver wire inlay. If I add silver wire I need to have it done before I put any oil on the wood.

I would love to have feedback from other Mannlicher lovers. What kind of details do you guys like?

The stock on my rifle is not full length. It is short and light and has a schnable at the tip. I also made a "shotgun" style trigger guard which I think adds a lot of class to the rifle. The only totally modern detail on the rifle is the fiber optic "glow sight" in front because I now have 60 year old eyes and I can't see the old ivory or gold colored sights anymore. But the green fiber shows up clearly to me.

Hopefully I can have this rifle done in a month or so, but as I said, I am uncertain what I want to do with checkering and/or carving, so I may drag my feet a bit on that part of the work.

szihn
.400 member

#287998 - 19/09/16 02:32 AM

I have not done the checkering or engraving yet, but I thought I'd post some pics of it now. I may even hunt with it in a few week. I'll do the engraving and checkering later.

Malpais6
.224 member

Reged: 30/05/16
Loc: yukon oklahoma usa
      #288000 - 19/09/16 04:52 AM

Another option for semi-finished stocks for mannlicher-schoenauers is Walnut Grove Gunstocks.
They bought the patterns and inventory of Great American Gunstock when they went out of business.

Do a google search and they should pop right up.

szihn
.400 member

Re: breda mannlicher? [Re: Malpais6]
      #288003 - 19/09/16 05:20 AM

I wish I had known, but I had no idea anyone made a semi-inlet for a 1903 Mannlicher.
That one is 100% made by hand from a blank!

Malpais6
.224 member

Reged: 30/05/16
Loc: yukon oklahoma usa
      #288005 - 19/09/16 06:42 AM

I should have mentioned that anyone looking at Walnut Grove Gunstocks for M-S stocks should look under Steyr and M-S.

JDL
.300 member

Reged: 25/12/10
Loc: Louisiana
Re: breda mannlicher? [Re: Malpais6]
      #289792 - 03/11/16 09:28 AM

I sure wish I had your ability! Such a darling little rifle should be in the field. What's the weight?

szihn
.400 member

Re: breda mannlicher? [Re: JDL]
      #292131 - 16/12/16 02:51 PM

Thanks JDL

It came in at 8 pounds with strap and 5 round in the mag. I was thinking it may be a bit lighter, but the wood is very dense.
I have the sights zeroed with 160 grain round nose bullets like the originals were, and it shoot as well as I can hold it. My eyes are not young anymore, but even with 60 year old eyes I was able to keep my 100 yard group at 1-5/8". At 200 yards I shot at a 5" gong and adjusted to that and at 300 I shot at a 8" gong and adjusted to hit it. Over a rest I can keep all the bullets hitting those targets 100% of the time now, so I think that's about as good as I can do today.

I hope I get to kill some deer with it in the future if I don't get it sold first. I want to checker and engrave it, but so far I have not found the time in-between the other jobs I have to do.

Also one more thing.
I may be able to pick up another action just like this one tomorrow, so I may have 2 of these rifles to sell soon.

Edited by szihn (16/12/16 03:31 PM)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 28 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4103

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com