Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Reloading MSch 6.5x54 Recipes???

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mannlicher Discussion forum & Archive

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
deeangeo
.300 member

Reged: 09/05/15
Loc: United Kingdom
Re: Reloading MSch 6.5x54 Recipes??? [Re: simonsaorsa]
      #283786 - 12/06/16 09:12 PM

At present, groups are nothing special to write about...using the 160gn Hornady RN Interlock, they're coming in at around 1", & 1 1/4" - 1 1/2" MOA with the first two loads I tested.
Good enough for me to take three feral billy goats at 75yds. They dropped like stones.

Next to try is find out whether backing off propellant charge gives an improvement with that bullet. I don't really want to adjust seating depth as the bullet is 'roll' crimped into the cannelure.

Also on the list is the 140gn Hornady SST. This round I know doesn't load or feed as smoothly from mag to chamber, but it's passable. I haven't actually fired any of these rounds yet as I was waiting for Lee to supply a custom made Factory Crimp Die...that's now arrived & I crimped the rounds yesterday.

Incidentally, the guys at Lee Inc. were very helpful and turned around the custom die within the eight weeks they quoted for supply. The only problem I had was mailing an inert round to them. Royal Mail wouldn't touch the item. Fortunately, A good friend in the USA was on vacation in the UK and carried the round in his hold baggage and mailed it when he got back to the USA.
Lee returned the inert round to me along with the new die.....and Royal Mail handled the return!!! funny that!

We shall see what happens! - Hopefully, next weekend.
Cheers, deeangeo

--------------------
Blaser K95 Luxus Kipplaufbüchse, .25-06 Rem. Schmidt & Bender 8x56 & Nosler 110gn Accubond = Game Over!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DonZ
.300 member

Reged: 24/12/12
Loc: BW
Re: Reloading MSch 6.5x54 Recipes??? [Re: deeangeo]
      #283791 - 13/06/16 12:06 AM

I was going to start a new thread, but this also seems to fit here. I don't have a lot of experience reloading, in fact I got into reloading specifically for this rifle.

I have Vihta Vouri N160 powder. While VV does not have a listed load for the MS, I contacted them directly and they mentioned that while they hadn't tested a load, N160 would be the idea powder for the rifle. They recommended 37 grains at 2000 fps as a safe starting load, and do not exceed 40 grains at 2200 fps.

Brass was once fired RWS neck sized, bullet was Woodleigh PPSP 160 grains. COL was 3.009 which is less than the max 3.063 listed in the Hornady manual (I went a little bit longer than my stock RWS with a round nose in order to feed) and used a very slight taper crimp.

First shot @ 37 grains: bolt extremely difficult to open, primer unseated. Clearly I had an unsafe load, so I stopped. Curiously, my chronometer listed only 353 fps, which made no sense whatsoever.

So I guess my first question is: could the taper crimp lead to overpressure?

Does anyone have any other thoughts on where I should go from here? Starting with a completely different powder is my first thought, though that seems simplistic. Load too long was another thought, but without a comparator, the best I had was to place a bullet in the brass without crimping, and hand feed to see where the bullet would end up. I didn't write that down, because it seemed far too long, but if memory serves it was 3.206. By staying below the max overall listed in the Hornady manual, I really thought I would be OK.

I'm also considering going to the Woodleigh round nose, as Hornady has stopped making 160 grain bullets. I have fired the rifle with those crimped to the cannelure, but those would not feed and were too short. Stock RWS were slightly longer, fed well, and took a whitetail last fall with absolutely no fuss. The only issue I have with those bullets is that RWS no longer lists them in their catalog, and they are becoming fewer and farther between on Gunbroker. I do have a lot of Norma and RWS unfired brass (and a full length die).

I'm really open to suggestions on this one. Thanks!

--------------------
Honor never grows old, and honor rejoices the heart of age...

deeangeo
.300 member

Re: Reloading MSch 6.5x54 Recipes??? [Re: DonZ]
      #283794 - 13/06/16 12:53 AM

I am of the mind that Vit. N160 is perhaps a bit slow for this cartridge & know from the past I used H4895 & IMR3031 quite successfully. That was when I had a MSch M1903 stutzen twenty years ago.

This time, with my somewhat longer 23" barrel I opted for IMR4350 as a start....however, with the 160gn bullet roll crimped & an OAL of 2.950" approx, the load isn't yet completely satisfactory. Feed from magazine is fine, no pressure issues, just not quite accurate enough.
Don't know what MV is yet, but will chrono when I'm happy with the load.

While crimping will have some effect on increasing pressure, provided the load is safe, crimping is a good way to even out neck tension.

--------------------
Blaser K95 Luxus Kipplaufbüchse, .25-06 Rem. Schmidt & Bender 8x56 & Nosler 110gn Accubond = Game Over!

lonewulf
.300 member

Reged: 06/08/12
Loc: South-East Otago, New Zealand
      #283804 - 13/06/16 08:58 AM

That's indeed strange Donz, and unfortunately I don't have an answer for you but if it were me, in first instance I think I'd go back to VV and tell them what happened. The chrono reading is the weirdest part of this. If it hadn't been for that, I'd just say take it back another 2 -3 grains and start again but the chrono reading complicates things.

I have certainly had instances where recommended (by manufacturer) minimum loads have proven to be way too hot, the most recent being a .308 where bolt-lift at min loading was difficult to say the least. So yeah, give VV a call and tell them what happened.

deeangeo
.300 member

Re: Reloading MSch 6.5x54 Recipes??? [Re: lonewulf]
      #283810 - 13/06/16 05:25 PM

Chrono readings may throw strange numbers from time to time, particularly field testing when variable light conditions may play havoc with the sensors. Maybe a cleaning of the sensors is called for? You don't say how old/new your chrono is, but dust plays it's part in these things as well as light.... or even battery condition??

The mechanical reaction to the load is what matters and clearly from what you said, the load is/was too hot.
Good luck with your progress. Cheers, d

--------------------

Brithunter
.300 member

Reged: 17/03/10
Loc: Lincolnshire, England
      #283890 - 15/06/16 01:09 AM

Reloader 19 worked well in mine.

--------------------
Don't let the bastards grind you down!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 33 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 16761

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com