Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Reloading MSch 6.5x54 Recipes???

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mannlicher Discussion forum & Archive

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
lonewulf
.300 member

Reged: 06/08/12
Loc: South-East Otago, New Zealand
Re: Reloading MSch 6.5x54 Recipes??? [Re: deeangeo]
      #280317 - 04/04/16 08:51 PM

Quote:

Quote:

To Lonewulf; yes that works, but I prefer the tool. For one thing, projectile nose tips vary somewhat so the result is not so reliable between bullets. However the Hornady tool measures OAL length on the ogive using calibre inserts.

Measuring on the ogive with a Comparator is the only good way to establish correct OAL.

Although, it's fair to say the polymer tipped bullets, although the plastic nose may vary slightly, it's nowhere near as much of a variation as with exposed lead tips.

Some interesting info there kiwibloke, it won't be long I hope before I can get to the range to establish what my rifle is doing..at least from the loading point of view, but as to chronoing the loads...may take somewhat longer now, a friend just shot my chrony! right through the middle.
Cheers.

Well, for what it's worth, I'd say yes and no. Whatever method you use, all you're really doing at this point is establishing a max overall length for the seating of a particular projectile in a particular rifle. That doesn't mean the rifle will shoot accurately with the bullet so positioned, just that this is about as far as it will go. Maybe your rifle will like having the projectile seated out to the lands and maybe it won't. The only way to find out is to shoot it.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
deeangeo
.300 member

Reged: 09/05/15
Loc: United Kingdom
Re: Reloading MSch 6.5x54 Recipes??? [Re: lonewulf]
      #280333 - 05/04/16 03:17 AM

That's quite correct lonewulf.
Each rifle is different so trial & error in respect of bullet seating depth is the only way forward.
For example I have never found a Nosler bullet work well in any of my rifles with bullets seated close to the lans. They all like a 'jump'.
Currently in my .25-06 the seating of an Accubond bullet is .045" from the lans.
Other rifles will likely be different.

I'm just agreeing with kiwibloke that the best way to measure a round accurately is with the use of a comparator, measuring from ogive to case head. Not making any suggestion on where a bullet should be seated.

--------------------
Blaser K95 Luxus Kipplaufbüchse, .25-06 Rem. Schmidt & Bender 8x56 & Nosler 110gn Accubond = Game Over!

Edited by deeangeo (05/04/16 03:21 AM)

GG375
.333 member

Reged: 27/02/04
Loc: Brisbane
      #280369 - 05/04/16 07:29 PM

I must be old fashioned when it comes to reloading for my 6.5 as I only use 160 gn Hornady round nose or Woodleigh 160 gn round nose projectiles in mine......any thing else just doesn't seem right

I just seat them so they are fully supported in that beautifully machined mag and use powder weight and/or primer brand to regulate the load for best accuracy.

Cheers.

GG

ps A couple of recent photos while taking her for a walk.

lonewulf
.300 member

Reged: 06/08/12
Loc: South-East Otago, New Zealand
Re: Reloading MSch 6.5x54 Recipes??? [Re: GG375]
      #280376 - 05/04/16 11:59 PM

Hmmmm ... your travelling companion's real purdy.

deeangeo
.300 member

Re: Reloading MSch 6.5x54 Recipes??? [Re: lonewulf]
      #280384 - 06/04/16 03:07 AM

Nice one GG375. Great photo's.

I'm sure you've seen how mine scoped up on the other thread..based very much on the info you provided.

What's your recipe for the 160gn Hornady/Woodleigh bullet?
I'd be very interested to know.
Cheers, d

--------------------
Blaser K95 Luxus Kipplaufbüchse, .25-06 Rem. Schmidt & Bender 8x56 & Nosler 110gn Accubond = Game Over!

kuduae
.400 member

Reged: 13/01/10
Loc: middle of Germany
Re: Reloading MSch 6.5x54 Recipes??? [Re: DonZ]
      #280393 - 06/04/16 05:25 AM

Quote:

I did manage to find some Vhita Vouri, which seems unpopular in the US. In addition to the pistol powder, I was able to find some VV N160. Has anyone tried this as a load? Success stories?

My favorite 6.5x54 M-Sch load is the 160 gr Hornady RN, seated out to 77 mm = 3.03" cartridge oal, in front of 40 gr VV N160, for an instrumental velocity, 4 m from the muzzle of my 55 cm = 22" rifle barrel, of 725 m/s = 2380 fps.
This load has killed about 60 roe deer, boar, fallow and red deer without Problems for me. Rifle: M1903 M-Sch, sporterized by G.Gibbs, Bristol, in 1905, either with the pre-war Zeiss "Zielvier" 4x scope and EAW side mount or the Parker-Hale "Sportarget" peep sight.

Waidmannsheil
.400 member

Reged: 19/04/13
Loc: Melbourne Australia
Re: Reloading MSch 6.5x54 Recipes??? [Re: kuduae]
      #280395 - 06/04/16 06:16 AM

GG375, very nice looking rifle. Have you got any more photos ?

Waidmannsheil.

--------------------
There is nothing wrong with vegetarian food, so long as there is meat with it.

deeangeo
.300 member

Re: Reloading MSch 6.5x54 Recipes??? [Re: Waidmannsheil]
      #280432 - 06/04/16 05:48 PM

I'm just seeing from your cartridge data Kuduae, clearly you do not 'roll crimp' into the canelure on the Hornady 160gn RN bullet. 3.03" OAL.
Do you have any issues with the bullet/neck tension under recoil..bullet movement?

Using the same bullet into brand new unfired Norma cases, with a roll crimp into the canelure, the cartridge OAL is approx. 2.944"
I kind of thought I'd use a roll crimp to even out neck tension, although I am about to also order a Lee Factory Crimp Die to be custom made for this cartridge...for use really with the Hornady 140gn SST bullet.
Cheers, d

--------------------

kuduae
.400 member

Reged: 13/01/10
Loc: middle of Germany
      #280446 - 07/04/16 03:53 AM

Quote:

I'm just seeing from your cartridge data Kuduae, clearly you do not 'roll crimp' into the canelure on the Hornady 160gn RN bullet. 3.03" OAL.
Do you have any issues with the bullet/neck tension under recoil..bullet movement?

As other posters already mentioned above, you will run into feeding problems if you use shorter and/or pointed bullet cartridges in M03 Mannlicher – Schoenauers. Schoenauer's famous spool magazines, as used in the M 1900, 1903, 1905, 1908 and 1910 models, guide the cartridges around the spool at the cartridge's base and the round nose bullet tip. If you use cartridges with a shorter oal or a slim pointed tip the front end of the cartridge will drop away from the cartridge carrier and bind up in the magazine. As the cartridge retainer and feed ramp are also set up to feed the long, round nose bullet original loads, you will run into feeding problems if you try to use cartridges markedly under maximum over all length in a Mannlicher – Schoenauer magazine of the models listed above.
I rarely crimp any rifle cartridges at all, except heavy, 9.3x74R and up, double rifle loads. Even in my .416 Rigby and .458 Lott I never encountered bullet movement from recoil. Contrary to your belief crimping does nothing to "even out neck tension", more often it does just the opposite: Unless all cases are EXACTLY of the same length and chamfered exactly the same, you will end up with different crimps from case to case, setting up the quite uniform neck tension you get when using cases of the same lot, sized and expanded in the same dies to the same inside diameters.

Waidmannsheil
.400 member

#280455 - 07/04/16 06:35 AM

If you use a Lee Factory Crimp die and set it up correctly in the press so that the handle is fully cycled then neck tension will be the same providing your cases are trimmed to the same length. The Lee dies produce a parallel crimp unlike the roll type crimp produced by a standard seating die which can actually open up the neck. The lee dies can also be used on bullets that do not have a cannelure.
In my 338 Win. Mag. I find that without a crimp, if I fire three rounds and check the fourth round before firing, the bullet will have been pushed a small amount into the case, especially if the bullet has a stout nose which doesn't deform easily. These rounds are not super hot either.

Waidmannsheil.

--------------------

deeangeo
.300 member

#280479 - 07/04/16 04:48 PM

I already use the Lee Factory Crimp Die with other rifle rounds & had decided some time ago to get a custom FCD made by Lee. The only difficulty is that I cannot mail/send by carrier an inert dummy round for their use to make the custom die.

This weekend, friends from the USA are with us and can take the inert round in their 'hold' suitcase, then mail it in the USA to Lee. 8-10 weeks later I should have the die.

I believe there are additional benefits in using the Lee FCD...provided the die is set correctly & attention to detail is paid in case prep.

--------------------

GG375
.333 member

#280487 - 07/04/16 08:15 PM

Quote:

GG375, very nice looking rifle. Have you got any more photos ?

Waidmannsheil.

Sure do.......will dig some out and post them on the weekend for you

GG

GG375
.333 member

#280488 - 07/04/16 08:20 PM

Quote:

I'm sure you've seen how mine scoped up on the other thread..based very much on the info you provided.

Cheers, d

Your scope mounts turned out great. Scope for my tastes is a little big for the rifle but I'm sure you have good reasons for that.

I'm just in the process of moving all my stuff into the mancave/trophy/reloading room I've just finished building so will post my load here for you when I come across the data.

Cheers.

GG

deeangeo
.300 member

#280514 - 08/04/16 03:02 AM

Quote:

Your scope mounts turned out great. Scope for my tastes is a little big for the rifle but I'm sure you have good reasons for that.GG

Yes well, really I'd have preferred one like yours, however, finding a decent used one at a price I was prepared to pay is like looking for rocking horse poo. So, I opted for an alternative scope I know well. Therefore, yes, I have Jodrell Bank sitting on top of my rifle LOL

--------------------

GG375
.333 member

#280705 - 10/04/16 07:07 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Cheers, d

Your scope mounts turned out great. Scope for my tastes is a little big for the rifle but I'm sure you have good reasons for that.

I'm just in the process of moving all my stuff into the mancave/trophy/reloading room I've just finished building so will post my load here for you when I come across the data.

Cheers.

GG

With the Hornady's I've been using 38 gns of AR2209 and for the Woodleigh's 39 gns of the same powder............but when I get around to it I'm going to go thru the load dev process again after making sure there is no contact between the forward sling saddle pin and the lug on the barrel!

Cheers.

GG

Brithunter
.300 member

Reged: 17/03/10
Loc: Lincolnshire, England
      #280708 - 10/04/16 08:11 PM

Quote:

Quote:

As other posters already mentioned above, you will run into feeding problems if you use shorter and/or pointed bullet cartridges in M03 Mannlicher – Schoenauers. Schoenauer's famous spool magazines, as used in the M 1900, 1903, 1905, 1908 and 1910 models, guide the cartridges around the spool at the cartridge's base and the round nose bullet tip. If you use cartridges with a shorter oal or a slim pointed tip the front end of the cartridge will drop away from the cartridge carrier and bind up in the magazine. As the cartridge retainer and feed ramp are also set up to feed the long, round nose bullet original loads, you will run into feeding problems if you try to use cartridges markedly under maximum over all length in a Mannlicher – Schoenauer magazine of the models listed above.
I rarely crimp any rifle cartridges at all, except heavy, 9.3x74R and up, double rifle loads. Even in my .416 Rigby and .458 Lott I never encountered bullet movement from recoil. Contrary to your belief crimping does nothing to "even out neck tension", more often it does just the opposite: Unless all cases are EXACTLY of the same length and chamfered exactly the same, you will end up with different crimps from case to case, setting up the quite uniform neck tension you get when using cases of the same lot, sized and expanded in the same dies to the same inside diameters.

Hmmm never noticed this issue in the Project rebuild 1903 Schoenauer of mine and I even tried 120 grain ballistic Tips through it. Not many as it has had very few rounds through it due to the plain stupidity of the Lincolnshire Firearms Licensing department. Having the twin hole floor plate I understand it is pre 1924 manufacture but of course it has a brand new Steyr barrel on it now. Hopefully if we reloacte perhaps in a more sane shooting enviroment I can get back to doing these projects and finishing them.

--------------------
Don't let the bastards grind you down!

deeangeo
.300 member

Re: Reloading MSch 6.5x54 Recipes??? [Re: Brithunter]
      #280735 - 11/04/16 05:18 PM

http://www.adi-powders.com.au/handloaders/equivalents.asp

Cheers GG, thanks for the info. It would seem I'm on the right track with IMR4350
The propellant chart equiv in the link shows.

Incidentally kuduae, I just checked the load & feed of my rounds through magazine to chamber & all have loaded into mag & cycled perfectly.
These are 160gn RN Hornady Interlock & new Norma brass. with my OAL variable between 2.943" & 2.948"...variation due to exposed lead point. The ogive measurement is 2.719" +/- .001" over 20 rds.

The factory 159gn RN RWS rounds I have measure: 2.9745" OAL +/- .004" & ogive 2.683" +/- .003"
Cheers, d

Edited by deeangeo (11/04/16 05:44 PM)

deeangeo
.300 member

#281534 - 25/04/16 04:25 PM

First shots with starting loads for my MSch M1903...

IMR4350 x 37gns, 160gn Hornady RN in brand new Norma cases proved a better load than 37.3gns of the same propellant. It's only the start though and the initial zero'd group is approx. 1" MOA.

There were no pressure signs at all on the primer or case, so this load is quite safe in my rifle as it stands.
(Not even any marking or signs at 37.3 gns. Although I was confused by the POI's.
The first two shots printed within 1/2" of each other & third and fourth shots 3" low, 2" right of the first two. ??? I know the ammunition was absolutely spot on and as two of us shot four rounds each with almost identical POI pattern, I have dismissed the load).

No idea yet of MV as no chronographing was done.

It's a good start though, next I'll see what correctly headspace sized brass does for the load.

New brass is to SAAMI dimension & headspace measures 1.699" - my fired case headspace dimension is 1.705" - a figure representing 80% of the twenty rounds fired today, with the remainder +/- .001"

All considered, I'm sure I can get an improvement, but don't really ever expect this old rifle to do better than 1/2" MOA ' 100yds.

--------------------

sharps4590
.333 member

Reged: 09/03/16
Loc: Missouri Ozarks
      #281590 - 27/04/16 08:07 AM

Another case of a "walking Mannlicher". Two things I found on mine. First they have a little recoil lug, nothing like a Mauser, -03 or Model 70. On mine the old wood was a bit wollered out so I glass bedded the lug, up forward of the lug a bit and back to the magazine well. That helped. With the load I'm using 1st shot was an X every time if I did my part....then it would start walking again. I was advised to check the forward sling swivel and if needed enlarge the hole where the sling stirrup screw passes through the barrel lug. There was no interference there but I did notice that the stock mortise where the sling swivel lug rested was...battered is too strong a word but you could see where the lug was bottoming in the stock and bouncing at the rear of the mortise. I carefully relieved the wood from both areas and the walking ceased. Mine won't shoot even MOA but I will not scope it. Scoped I'm certain it would tighten up.

--------------------
Jesus said, "I am the way the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me." John14:6

deeangeo
.300 member

Re: Reloading MSch 6.5x54 Recipes??? [Re: sharps4590]
      #282072 - 08/05/16 04:55 PM

It works! For my MSch. M1903 Takedown rifle.

IMR4350 x 37.1gns, Rem. 9 1/12 primer, Hornady 160gn RN Interlock #2640 is part of the recipe.

Prepped brass: F/L sized to fired case headspace: 1.706" +/- .001"
Case OAL: 2.106"
Cartridge OAL: 2.950" +/- .001"
Comparator bullet measurement: 2.722"
Bullet seated with a 'roll' crimp into cannelure.

Don't know the MV yet, but it shoots inside 1" MOA @ 100yds.

--------------------

Waidmannsheil
.400 member

#282083 - 08/05/16 09:22 PM

Great to hear your success. You have a very accurate load with a great projectile and all in a super classic rifle. It has been a big adventure with a great outcome. Fantastic.

Waidmannsheil.

--------------------

deeangeo
.300 member

#282123 - 09/05/16 06:48 PM

Thanks Waidmannsheil...it's certainly been a challenge, but as you say, the outcome has been great. Would I do it again? Yes...now that I know how to approach the project, definitely.
Maybe a 7x57 stutzen I have my eye on! It's a GK though with swept back bolt & I think I'd rather find an earlier rifle.
Hey Ho....time spent looking when I can't shoot!

By the way, I shot three feral goat on the land I hunt last weekend..with the load described.
Two Billy's and a kid.
I also saw three roebuck, one very good one, but they'd disapeared by the time I'd got to where they were.
Also viewed on the land, but not in season in Scotland, Two very good red stags (minus antlers), an all white fallow doe & three good red hinds and one follower.

Edited by deeangeo (09/05/16 06:55 PM)

Waidmannsheil
.400 member

#282127 - 09/05/16 09:12 PM

Sounds like you are already pouring out the rounds, great stuff. A 7x57 would be nice but I agree that the earlier models are more desirable, at least to me. I was offered a GK model in 270 Winchester recently however I found the stock to bulbous. The trim lines and slim stock of the earlier models just was not there and so I declined the offer. The gun was in excellent condition therefore modifying it was out of the question. I guess we will have to keep looking.

Waidmannsheil.

--------------------

deeangeo
.300 member

#282743 - 22/05/16 05:10 PM

http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.uk/showthread.php/118526-Reloading-Mannlicher-Schoenauer-6-5x54

Just for interest/information, the link should show input from forum users on the Stalking Directory site.
Cheers, deeangeo

--------------------

simonsaorsa
.300 member

Reged: 11/05/06
Loc: UK
      #282981 - 27/05/16 07:49 AM

There's a nice article on reloading the 6.5x54 in John Barsness's The Hunters Guide to Handloading Smokeless Rifle Cartidges which you can get from his website in the USA www.riflesandrecipes.com.

With 156/160 grain bullets, his max velocity is around 2400fps

He mentions the article by Ray Ordorica in the Gun Digest for 1996, quoted by Kiwi Bloke above.

He also mentions that if you have an "over-sized" barrel, you can try Hornady's 160 grain .267" bullet for the 6.5 Carcano, which Kiwi Bloke also mentions.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 51 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 16764

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com