Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: 9x57 reloading

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mannlicher Discussion forum & Archive

Pages: 1
ms1255
.224 member

Reged: 15/02/14
Loc: ohio
9x57 reloading
      #246428 - 25/04/14 11:01 AM

Need some input on reloading the 9x57, I purchased 8x57 brass necked it up and it will not chamber in my MS1908. I had a chamber cast done and the bore slugged to confirm caliber. It seems to be the shoulder keeping it from chambering, does the 9x57 have a shoulder similar to the 9.3x57? I had some 9.3 brass which will chamber fine. I have ordered a case forming die, am I on the right track?
Thank you
Michael

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
lancaster
.470 member

Reged: 06/05/08
Loc: There's a lighthouse in the mi...
Re: 9x57 reloading [Re: ms1255]
      #246441 - 25/04/14 01:35 PM

the MS 1908 if original is in 8x56 MS, the 1905 is in 9x56 MS but not in 9x57 Mauser

the 9x56 and the 9x57 are very similar and in many guns interchangeable because of excessive chamber dimensions. this cartridges have the shoulder more or less in the same position but there are little differences. if you use a 9x57 mauser die its possible your brass is not correct for your special chamber.
do I understand you right that brass resized with your die set by using 9,3x57 Norma fits into your gun but brass by using 8x57IS will not do it???
please take a look at the max. base diameter of your brass. Norma 9,3x57 will have a very small base diameter around 11,70mm when 8x57 IS brass will go up to 11,95mm and that may the reason you get only resized Norma brass into your chamber. I have the same problem with a M 88 in 9x57 and a Husqvarna M 46 in 9,3x57 where I have to turn 8x57 IS brass down to 11,70mm on the lathe to get it into the guns

9x56

9x57

9,3x57

--------------------
Norwegian hunter misses moose, shoots man on toilet
bringing civilisation to the barbarians

Edited by lancaster (25/04/14 03:18 PM)

ms1255
.224 member

Re: 9x57 reloading [Re: lancaster]
      #246479 - 26/04/14 09:08 AM

Lancaster, I measured the base of both pieces of brass the Norma brass is 11.87 and the resized Winchester brass that I necked up is 11.85. Like I said in my original post the 9.3x57 Norma brass which has not been sized will chamber but the resized 8x57 brass will not the only difference I can see is the slope of the shoulder. This gun has been rechambered and the barrel is stamped 8,7 then 57 below that. This is the same rifle that I posted pics of in this section of the forum. Thank you for your response though because I never considered the base. I was working on the thought that the 8x57,9x57,and 9.3x57 had the same dimensions with the exception of the neck and shoulder.

Deutsche_Vortrekker
.333 member

Reged: 27/04/08
Loc: From the Kalahari to the USA
Re: 9x57 reloading [Re: lancaster]
      #246481 - 26/04/14 10:03 AM

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: 9x57 reloading [Re: Deutsche_Vortrekker]
      #246485 - 26/04/14 11:12 AM

If the case and shoulder diameter are undersize, thus 'should' fit - the only difference is the length of the body (or neck) - ie: the body length of the brass that will NOT fit, is too LONG from the base to the start of the shoulder - thus the solution is easy. If the overall length of the brass is correct, the over length necks are NOT the problem, the body length is. If the brass is too long, case length trimming is necessary. It is dangerous to shoot brass (binding at the case mouth) that is too long for the chamber.

If the problem (probable cause) is the body length, simply FL size the brass, pushing the shoulder back enough to JUST allow it to chamber.

This same problem with a different gun, but with the same too-long a body was experience by another shooter at another shooting forum I frequent. Due to the small size of his .17 Ackley Hornet case and the ease of sizing them, we suggested shaving a few thousandths off his shell holder.

With larger cases, like the standard or magnum rounds I do not suggest shaving the top of the shell holder as this weakens the shell holder's strength, thus it's capability of withdrawing the ctg. from the die. I had just such an altered shell holder that I keep to remind myself and/or to show others with similar problems. The top part of the shell holder became ripped upwards when extracting a sticky case.

I had removed too much (obviously) from the top of the shell holder.

Thus, I now always remove just a bit from the bottom of the die, (grinder or lathe) to make the cases size properly for the chamber.

The solution is simple even if the die will not push the shoulder back far enough - material must be removed from the bottom of the die to allow the case to enter further up into the die, thus pushing the shoulder back the requisite amount.

Be careful not to push the shoulder back too far, as you will be creating an excessive headspace problem with THAT brass.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

ms1255
.224 member

Re: 9x57 reloading [Re: DarylS]
      #246530 - 27/04/14 12:41 PM

Thank you for the info Daryl I will give it a try.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 44 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3261

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com