Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Custom Mannlicher Scope Mount

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mannlicher Discussion forum & Archive

Pages: 1
MikeRowe
.333 member

Reged: 23/11/11
Loc: Arkansas, USA
Custom Mannlicher Scope Mount
      #217475 - 02/10/12 12:17 PM

This Mannlicher Schoenauer needed a detachable scope mount with no alterations to the basic rifle.

We elected to mount the Leupold 1.5-5X utilizing the rearsight dovetail and a base sweated onto the bridge flat above the bolt release (making it easy to remove at a later time if necessary).

Also I wanted to address some of the issues some of my clients have had with claw style and EAW type mounts. Namely, the small blind crevices that collect all sorts of debris and which are difficult to clean out in the field. The locking mechanisms were mentioned as sometimes being fiddly and difficult to manipulate when using gloves. And it needs to be relatively easy to maintain for wear takeup in the long run.

The scope loads at right angles to the barrel on the left side, and pivots around to the rear base, where it locks in. To remove, the eyepiece is grasped with the right hand, and the lever depressed by the right thumb at the same time, and it is lifted slightly and pivoted off.

The front mount is stouter than it looks in the pictures, it's actually a large spring. It is machined at the front to match the rear rounded portion of the rearsight base so the recoil is taken there as well as at the rear base (not that this is a real big issue with a 6.5).

I have been studying high speed photography of rifles being fired, and I am amazed that even with mild recoiling calibers, the rifles behave like limp spagetti. So some sort of shock absorber may be a good idea.

The rifle needed to have as trim as possible mounting hardware on it with the scope dismounted, yet still have a functional rearsight.

Stephen Coker kindly took a photograph of me sighting the rifle in on the standing rest. I use this in preference to a bench for all light hunting rifles. I have found they will shoot to a different point if shot off a benchrest. I get to do the shooting, as I am a much better shot than he is. And modest, too.

A detachable scope mount must return to the same place. This is a composite group of three pairs of shots, with the scope dismounted and remounted in between.

Edited by CptCurl (19/11/12 12:07 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Caprivi
.375 member

Reged: 30/09/08
Loc: America's Serengeti, Buffalo W...
Re: Custom Mannlicher Scope Mount [Re: MikeRowe]
      #217476 - 02/10/12 12:31 PM

Very interesting. Like the idea of not "tarting" up the rifle to be preserved for later....Just a question, no critique, is it "tough" enough ??? Front base/arm looks like it could be springy. Also can you show us pics of the rear base/latch.

I like it, like it alot. So glad there will be another nice MS without extra holes in it.

--------------------
To live life as it is handed to me from God

Caprivi
.375 member

Reged: 30/09/08
Loc: America's Serengeti, Buffalo W...
Re: Custom Mannlicher Scope Mount [Re: Caprivi]
      #217478 - 02/10/12 12:36 PM

Ah' I really need to sit on my hands and watch for awhile with my mouth(typing fingers)under control.

From the look of the composite group, I will say, "no worries" about "toughness" of the front scope base/arm.

--------------------
To live life as it is handed to me from God

MikeRowe
.333 member

Re: Custom Mannlicher Scope Mount [Re: Caprivi]
      #217479 - 02/10/12 01:06 PM

Yes, I try not to drill holes in these rifles if I can possibly get away with it. Far too many have unfortunately been ruined bringing them "up to date".

There's more than one way to skin a possum.....

dons
.333 member

Reged: 18/08/07
Loc: Essex
      #217487 - 02/10/12 09:28 PM

Very clever solution to an age old problem. I like it as well.

Igorrock
.400 member

Reged: 01/03/07
Loc: Finland
Re: Custom Mannlicher Scope Mount [Re: dons]
      #217489 - 02/10/12 10:41 PM

Good idea, I have been thinking something about similar to my mannlicher. By the way, trigger guard and magazine looks a little strange. Where they are from ?

--------------------
http://promaakari.wordpress.com/

StephenCoker
.300 member

Reged: 01/12/11
Loc: AR, United States of America
Re: Custom Mannlicher Scope Mount [Re: Igorrock]
      #217492 - 02/10/12 11:26 PM

"I get to do the shooting, as I am a much better shot than he is. And modest, too."

Beg your pardon? Who hit the 200 yard and then the 300 yard steel plate off-hand? No one ever photographs the photographer. Geez!

Edited by StephenCoker (02/10/12 11:27 PM)

mehulkamdar
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/04
Loc: State of Ill-Annoy USA.
Re: Custom Mannlicher Scope Mount [Re: StephenCoker]
      #217494 - 03/10/12 12:10 AM

Very, very interesting! I just bought an M-S carbine in 6.5x54 but it came with Redfield offset mounts, so this option is not one that I can think about. However, maybe in the future . . .

Good hunting!

--------------------
The Ark was made by amateurs. Experts built the Titanic.

Mehul Kamdar

k3030AI
.224 member

Reged: 03/11/12
Loc: Arkan
Re: Custom Mannlicher Scope Mount [Re: mehulkamdar]
      #219924 - 21/11/12 06:58 AM

Well I for one think:

1 - It's a good looking mount
2 - Clearly it gets the job done quite well
3 - It's damn brilliant!

Carpetsahib
.333 member

Reged: 29/04/07
Loc: Western NC
      #220162 - 25/11/12 12:01 AM

I like the design and execution very much. I would buy one if it were commercially available.

One question: If the front mount were extended to meet the rear mount to form a bridge, would it not be possible to incorporate an elevation adjustment as well as the windage adjustment? The present design would allow an elevation change, but at the expense of stressing the telescope. A bridge might prevent that from happening.

MikeRowe
.333 member

Re: Custom Mannlicher Scope Mount [Re: Carpetsahib]
      #220325 - 27/11/12 05:47 AM

Yes, it would be possible to do the things you have suggested. It may be necessary if an older scope is being used that does not have an image moving reticle. A bridge may be a help on a heavy recoiling rifle because of it's stiffness. On a 6.5, I think the extra weight and bulk isn't justified. A scope tube is a fairly stiff beam by itself.

All my projects are approached on a case by case basis, so there's no one-size-fits-all. The modern scopes have plenty of adjustment for such a setup as in the pictures, so there's no reason to go to additional expense, weight and complication if it's not needed.

Edited by MikeRowe (28/11/12 06:06 AM)

Carpetsahib
.333 member

Reged: 29/04/07
Loc: Western NC
      #220380 - 28/11/12 01:11 AM

I think the front mount could be combined with a Redfield rear mount, like the one already mounted on my rifle. With the Redfield front mount in place, use of the iron sights is impossible. Your front mount would eliminate that issue. As I said, I like it a lot.

As far as the bridge idea, it might allow the use of a Lyman Alaskan scope without internal adjustments (which I have) on a M-S rifle. That would be a good thing.

kuduae
.400 member

Reged: 13/01/10
Loc: middle of Germany
      #220395 - 28/11/12 03:18 AM

Quote:

By the way, trigger guard and magazine looks a little strange. Where they are from ?

It's the regular pre-WW2 single trigger setup. If a double set trigger was not wanted, the Steyr factory used the two-stage trigger and the triggerguard of the Greek military M1903 action on their sporting rifles.

Igorrock
.400 member

Reged: 01/03/07
Loc: Finland
Re: Custom Mannlicher Scope Mount [Re: kuduae]
      #220456 - 28/11/12 11:41 PM

Quote:

If a double set trigger was not wanted, the Steyr factory used the two-stage trigger and the triggerguard of the Greek military M1903 action on their sporting rifles.

Thanks ! I have seen quite many M-S but never before with two-stage trigger. By the way, does that greek mannlicher trigger fit easy to civilian M-S ?

--------------------
http://promaakari.wordpress.com/

A10ACN
.300 member

Reged: 30/01/05
Loc: USA
      #220643 - 30/11/12 05:53 PM

Boy, that guy shooting sure is ugly! Looks like a Kiwi trying to pass as a Redneck!

MikeRowe
.333 member

Re: Custom Mannlicher Scope Mount [Re: A10ACN]
      #220657 - 01/12/12 12:50 AM

I resemble that remark!

Pages: 1

Extra information
2 registered and 57 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 9403

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com