Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: What animal screams 303b to you?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Lee Speed Forum & Archive

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
Re: What animal screams 303b to you? [Re: HeymSR20]
      #338535 - 29/02/20 08:34 PM

Quote:

Rabbits.

As a member of the Combined Cadet Force (CCF) at School I worked the system. I was in the RAF section so learnt to fly. But also known to be a keen rifleman so I was sergeant in charge of the school range. Monday afternoons I would set up the range with No8s and Martini 22lr and have squads of 13 to 16 year old boys under my instruction. I myself would shoot 200 rounds a week!

As main rifles we had No 4s and a half a dozen Bren Guns - all fully working.

When it came to exercises I would be seconded to the Army as “enemy". Myself and a couple of others would be given a few handfuls of 303 blanks, a Bren and a couple of No 4s and told to go and provide skirmishing and covering fire.

Why Rabbits?

Well a 303 Blank has a hard cadboard wad. Army rations were pretty rank. If you get in close to some rabbits as you are creeping into an ambush. Then instruct your squad to take aim and when the attack is signalled you open up on half a dozen rabbits grazing quietly at 20 yards with a 303 bren and No4s, when the smoke clears there will be three or four rather dazed and stunned rabbits that with a quick rugby tackle can then be turned into a fine dinner over a camp fire!! It happened more than once.

. Guess it worked alright.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: What animal screams 303b to you? [Re: HeymSR20]
      #338542 - 01/03/20 12:17 AM

Quote:

Rabbits.

As a member of the Combined Cadet Force (CCF) at School I worked the system. I was in the RAF section so learnt to fly. But also known to be a keen rifleman so I was sergeant in charge of the school range. Monday afternoons I would set up the range with No8s and Martini 22lr and have squads of 13 to 16 year old boys under my instruction. I myself would shoot 200 rounds a week!

As main rifles we had No 4s and a half a dozen Bren Guns - all fully working.

When it came to exercises I would be seconded to the Army as “enemy". Myself and a couple of others would be given a few handfuls of 303 blanks, a Bren and a couple of No 4s and told to go and provide skirmishing and covering fire.

Why Rabbits?

Well a 303 Blank has a hard cadboard wad. Army rations were pretty rank. If you get in close to some rabbits as you are creeping into an ambush. Then instruct your squad to take aim and when the attack is signalled you open up on half a dozen rabbits grazing quietly at 20 yards with a 303 bren and No4s, when the smoke clears there will be three or four rather dazed and stunned rabbits that with a quick rugby tackle can then be turned into a fine dinner over a camp fire!! It happened more than once.

Great story.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: What animal screams 303b to you? [Re: xausa]
      #338543 - 01/03/20 12:17 AM

Quote:

Tiger! When I think of a Lee Speed, India immediately comes to mind. I once had an Indian classmate, who told me that his father's trophy room was carpeted with tiger skins. When I asked him what caliber rifle his father used, he replied ".303 of course! Ammunition is hard to come by, so he used military surplus. Solids, of course." When I asked him where his father aimed, thinking he would say chest or shoulder, instead he said, "Right between the eyes. Ammunition is expensive and he couldn't afford to expend more than one shot per tiger."

Another cool story.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: What animal screams 303b to you? [Re: xausa]
      #338544 - 01/03/20 12:20 AM

Quote:

This was in 1967, when I was a student in the Goethe Institut in Murnau, Bavaria. I don't think I ever knew Mr. Mukerji's first name (and probably couldn't have pronounced it if I had). I was one of a class which consisted of me as the only American, a Polish lady, a French lady, a Swede, a Belgian and a Norwegian. German was the only language used in the classes. I spent twelve weeks there and came away with an improved knowledge of spoken German and a bride (one of the instructors).

Yet another. And the "student" poaching the teacher.

Sounds like a great experience all round. Plus living in Bavaria for three months.

I assume it was Hochdeutsch not Bavarian lingo?

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: What animal screams 303b to you? [Re: NitroX]
      #338545 - 01/03/20 12:27 AM

Quote:

A .303 British Lee Speed with engraving of a red stag suits Australia and NZ well. A kangaroo of course as well. The .303 or its derivatives has probably killed as many kangaroos as any other cartridge.

More exotic, I like the idea of Indian game. Water buffalo, gaur, tiger. Especially the deer species which are in common, India and Australia, sambar deer, chital of axis deer and hog deer.

If it was mine I would strongly have a preference for water buffalo, tiger and sambar deer. If it was desired to have a common Aussie and Indian theme, water buffalo and sambar deer.

As for Africa, maybe a Maneaters of Tsavo theme. With maned lion and perhaps a suitable antelope theme.

On a completely different note, perhaps an Afghan theme, Mujaheddin and Speztnaz Russian soldiers!

It is interesting to read past comments, sometimes from a couple of decades ago and see if you think the same? I usually do.

I did add Indian Blackbuck to my thoughts this time as well. Tiger, Sambar and Blackbuck. Water buff and gaur.

I don't think of Africa for the .303 as much, except black Askari troopers carrying them, or WW2 North Africa. Africa makes me think of the 7x57, 6.5x54 MS, .375 H&H, .404 and .416.NE DRs etc

For Scottish red deer I think of a .275 Rigby M98.

The Australian theme of water buff and sambar would be great on a DR sideplates in .303 Brit.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

PapaScarface
.224 member

Reged: 28/08/15
Loc: NSW, Australia
Re: What animal screams 303b to you? [Re: NitroX]
      #343464 - 21/07/20 03:54 PM

Did the .303 see much time in India? I always thought it was banned pretty early on? Perhaps I’m wrong, in any case Indian game brings Corbett and his exploits with the 275 and his double to the front of mind.

As it stands I’m torn with 3 species for the bottom of the magazine, or perhaps fitting them all on the dust cover?
Species being the Aussie Sambar Stag, a Roan Antelope, and my dream species to hunt with the rifle, a Leopard.

One day I’ll get this project finished, thanks for everyone’s replies. Some very interesting replies indeed.

93x64mm
.416 member

Reged: 07/12/11
Loc: Nth QLD Australia
Re: What animal screams 303b to you? [Re: PapaScarface]
      #343466 - 21/07/20 09:43 PM

My P14 which is only in its full military trim has taken its share of sized porkers!
150gn Speers at just under 2700fps certainly do what they're intended to do, anchored them every time.
Certainly no fancy Lee Speed that's for sure - but she does it job well.

EDELWEISS
.375 member

Reged: 22/11/05
Loc: Gettysburg
Re: What animal screams 303b to you? [Re: 93x64mm]
      #343483 - 22/07/20 11:41 AM

Am I too late to add Wild Boar? Yes I thought of the Tsavo Kitties too; but for me a 303 screams Wild Boar for today as no one would let you tackle Lions, Tigers, or Bears with a 303 today; but its just about perfect for a charging pig and a military solid FMJ would be great for head shots.

--------------------
If it's not custom, it's just borrowed

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: What animal screams 303b to you? [Re: EDELWEISS]
      #343485 - 22/07/20 01:36 PM

The .303 would be just fine on large black bears, but I agree with those who would suggest something larger for grizzly which would include Alaskan coastal Browns.
For pigs of any size, NP, I am sure.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

mckinney
.400 member

Reged: 29/01/09
Loc: usa
Re: What animal screams 303b to you? [Re: DarylS]
      #343492 - 22/07/20 07:22 PM

My thoughts for the engraving would be a basic scroll design, tight and well done. A Lee Speed to me is a rifle that looks best with good wood, good checkering coverage, a forend cap, rust bluing, trap buttplate with checkering and not much adornment. That said, I haven't seen one with engraving and might like it if I did. If I had to pick an animal I'd probably make it a leopard. I'm sure the cartridge has taken a bunch back in the day and would still do it today with the right bullets.

I haven't handled or shot these rifles so have always wondered how they feel in the hand. How do they compare to a 1903 Springfield or 98 Mauser in terms of smoothness, lockup etc? Any clattering or sloppiness? How about the ones offered by Woodward, Greener, Army Navy, etc?

many thanks

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: What animal screams 303b to you? [Re: DarylS]
      #343535 - 23/07/20 12:18 PM

Quote:

LOL - when I read the title of this thread, I said "MOOSE, then thought 215gr. RN KKSP". BC, of course.

Ha!!

Beat me to it!!

That was the first one that came to my mind.

MOOSE!

And has to be a kitchen table sporterized No 1, also.

Second thought to mind was the first bear I shot many years ago.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
Re: What animal screams 303b to you? [Re: 9.3x57]
      #343544 - 23/07/20 07:49 PM

9.3X57 Nice trophy and your No5 looks to be in good condition.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: What animal screams 303b to you? [Re: PapaScarface]
      #343546 - 23/07/20 08:31 PM

Quote:

Did the .303 see much time in India? I always thought it was banned pretty early on? Perhaps I’m wrong, in any case Indian game brings Corbett and his exploits with the 275 and his double to the front of mind.

I wonder if we can examine this further.

Was the .303 British used a lot in India in the first half plus of the 20th Century in India as a civilian hunting cartridge?

I believe it was. But is this true? I believe I have seen some comments about Indians or resident hunters there using the .303.

But there was also the military calibre ban?

What period of time was the military calibre ban active for?

Comments welcome.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: What animal screams 303b to you? [Re: Rule303]
      #343554 - 23/07/20 10:48 PM

Quote:

9.3X57 Nice trophy and your No5 looks to be in good condition.

It was basically perfect when I got it for $100 except the striker was bent. I replaced that and it became one of the guns I regret selling after I sold it some years later! HA!!

I just remembered that wasn't my first bear, but rather my first in Idaho.

NITRO:

I have always wondered about "The Ban", too, as it included .450 and .303 calibers and as you know, spawned the .470, etc. It is very confusing. Hopefully someone here has more info on the interesting subject.

John Taylor mentions it in African Rifles and Cartridges and it appears elsewhere in hunting literature. My understanding {not from any specific citation, just from tidbits picked up here and there} is that it involved civilian use and thus we see military and police officer use pop up frequently where it does not seem to have been applied, or at least enforced, and it was only enforced {or legally applied} in India and in African countries, not of course in Australia and NZ and Canada and also excepting South Africa where it does not seem to have been enforced at all {if it applied there?}, the .303 being quite common there among locals going back to the capture of many British service Lees in the Boer War.

As for a caliber ban generally, it's pretty common actually, with the French and Italians and many Latin American countries banning current military calibers. Technically, we have a caliber ban here in the USA, that being nothing over .50 in bottleneck smokeless rounds. Or some such, as I'm not sure of the details!

I wonder if there is anyone who can scout out the specific law itself. I'd be interested in reading the actual code and see what it says and also, its date of introduction and date of abrogation/alteration, etc.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

Edited by 9.3x57 (23/07/20 10:53 PM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 16 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 13137

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com