Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: A Surprise 'Parts' Rifle..!

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Lee Speed Forum & Archive

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Roy
.300 member

Reged: 06/09/15
Loc: New Mexico
A Surprise 'Parts' Rifle..!
      #293346 - 07/01/17 02:23 PM

Hi Chaps,

Well as some of you may remember I have a Greener No1 Lee-Speed which is a long term restoration project, so I recently purchased some parts from a contact of mine, looking mostly for woodwork to go on my Greener. Well one thing led to another and my contact (for no additional cost) actually shipped me the whole rifle..!

The rifle is a very respectable No2 Lee-Speed and was sent to me in pieces. Now the only down side is that the barrel has been well and truly chopped, but considering what I got and the cost, I really can't complain at all.

So it looks like my Greener will have to wait a little longer as I feel my best course of action would be to get this rifle re barreled (make a small repair to the nose-cap of the front stock) and I have a fully working and respectable Lee-Speed.

Not least of which is that I get to rescue an early original (barrel excluding) Lee-Speed and keep this little piece of history alive.

See attached a pic of all the parts (shed some tears over the barrel..!) and I will of course update with photos when the whole thing is repaired/restored, although no idea when that will be.

All in all though I'm really rather pleased, pretty much a whole new rifle for my modest collection and all for little money at all and a splendid early B.S.A. No2 in .303 at that.

Cheerio,

Roy

--------------------
My Website: www.wilkinsonfscollection.com

http://wilkinsonfscollection.com/wilkinsonfscollection.com/The_Lee-Speed_Rifle.html

Edited by Roy (07/01/17 02:36 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Sarg
.400 member

Reged: 20/01/07
Loc: Nil
Re: A Surprise 'Parts' Rifle..! [Re: Roy]
      #293354 - 07/01/17 03:32 PM

That's a beauty of a parts rifle, better than most of my ones, was the barrel cut up with the fore stock on or some thing to cut the horn tip in half ?

Great mag & you get a fore sight, that is the hardest bit to find, I have none, but did just get a take off full rib, only took a day to straighten lol !

Strangely on the rib is - Birmingham Small Arms & Metal Co L#M# ENGLAND - can't make out the L bit but it's not London unless shortened ?

Haven't seen BSA marked on the full rib ones before .

Roy
.300 member

Re: A Surprise 'Parts' Rifle..! [Re: Sarg]
      #293356 - 07/01/17 03:37 PM

Hi Sarg,

Thank for that mate. Yes you are correct the barrel was cut while on the stock, so I will have to replace the nose-cap. Along with the barrel thought I can't complain at all. Especially as I was just expecting the woodwork, magazine and a few parts.

Cheerio,

Roy

--------------------

http://wilkinsonfscollection.com/wilkinsonfscollection.com/The_Lee-Speed_Rifle.html

DoubleD
.400 member

Reged: 23/11/03
Loc: Retired in Oklahoma
      #293361 - 07/01/17 04:12 PM

Not being able to see the cuts and how they were done, have you consider putting barrel back together and the lining the barrel

--------------------
DD, Ret.

Roy
.300 member

Re: A Surprise 'Parts' Rifle..! [Re: DoubleD]
      #293362 - 07/01/17 04:49 PM

Hi DD,

The cuts are pretty rough and a whole section is missing, so I guess it's a lost cause.

Cheers,

Roy

--------------------

Viking338
.333 member

Reged: 11/08/11
Loc: Queensland Australia
      #293374 - 07/01/17 10:16 PM

That is disgraceful, why would some one chop a beautiful old rifle up like that. I would love a Speed and you hardly ever see them for sale here in Aus and then there are "barbarians" cutting them up! There is of course a little tongue in cheek in my rant, I am sure there must have been a reason although I could never cut up a rifle like that. Why not cut just a bit further forward also so you don't cut the Horn tip, very odd but anyway it will turn out lovely and I am jealous.

Roy
.300 member

Re: A Surprise 'Parts' Rifle..! [Re: Viking338]
      #293402 - 08/01/17 03:40 AM

Hi Viking338,

Thank you for that and I totally understand your frustration. Without sharing too many details and reading between the lines, I believe this rifle was originally destined to be destroyed by the powers that be (enough said). Something I think you are sadly all too familiar with Down Under. Needless to say the fact that it has now been rescued (all be it with a trashed barrel) is still quite remarkable.

I thought you chaps might enjoy a more 'sympathetic' photograph!

Cheerio,

Roy

--------------------

Edited by Roy (08/01/17 03:51 AM)

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #293405 - 08/01/17 04:46 AM

More pictures - I see you salvaged the rear sight.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Roy
.300 member

Re: A Surprise 'Parts' Rifle..! [Re: DarylS]
      #293409 - 08/01/17 05:05 AM

Hi Daryl,

Yes, both front and back sights both saved. Some photos added for interest.

Cheerio,

Roy

--------------------

Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
      #293438 - 08/01/17 09:18 AM

G'day Roy, Thanks for posting the eye candy. I do share Vikings sentiments and do know the frustrations of what the authorities here cause. Glad your friend was able to rescue the remains and the whole lot was not lost altogether.

Sarg
.400 member

Re: A Surprise 'Parts' Rifle..! [Re: Rule303]
      #293446 - 08/01/17 09:47 AM

Great photos Roy, thank you for that,need more of the fronts sight on these Speeders so I can make some up I have at least 6 that I need sights & barrels for, getting a few barrels together now BSA Comercial with the BSA crossed rifles on the knox form, had two stuffed ones rebored to 375, now stuck in the US & I'm going to get a Lithgow H barrel rebored to 405 when I can get over to the US !

Yours is a beauty !

DoubleD
.400 member

Reged: 23/11/03
Loc: Retired in Oklahoma
      #293456 - 08/01/17 01:11 PM

With work it could be pieced together and lined, New section made for the missing piece, especially if markings are present. If not the remaining pieces could be used to copy the profile for a new Barrel.

Not original, but restored

--------------------
DD, Ret.

Roy
.300 member

#293461 - 08/01/17 01:58 PM

Hi DD,

Very interesting, I did not know such a thing was possible. Would you happen to know anyone in the US who could do such a restoration?

If so, please feel free to email me with details at royshadbolt@me.com

Cheerio,

Roy

--------------------

DarylS
.700 member

#293462 - 08/01/17 01:58 PM

Bobby Hoyte will duplicate barrels in the States.

--------------------
Daryl

Sarg
.400 member

#293464 - 08/01/17 02:12 PM

A little tricky to duplicate the profile on these, with the Knox form - barrel skank, would be much better to find a commercial BSA barrel some where, even if shot out, it could be relined if you wanted to keep it as 303 or taken out to a caliber of choice !

Roy
.300 member

#293467 - 08/01/17 02:22 PM

Hi Sarg,

Thanks for that. Keen to keep at as the original .303 as this is one of my favorite calibres.

I have been put in contact with one chap who may be able to help, re a replacement barrel, so waiting to hear back from him.

I'm in no rush, just want to make the right choice and get this back to working order and looking as original and nice as possible, so really appreciate all the help and opinions here as I am certainly no gunsmith and have little to know experience in such matter.

Cheerio,

Roy

--------------------

Roy
.300 member

#293468 - 08/01/17 02:24 PM

Quote:

A little tricky to duplicate the profile on these, with the Knox form - barrel skank, would be much better to find a commercial BSA barrel some where, even if shot out, it could be relined if you wanted to keep it as 303 or taken out to a caliber of choice !

Hi Daryl,

Would you happen to have contact details for this gent?

Cheers,

Roy

--------------------

DarylS
.700 member

#293469 - 08/01/17 02:24 PM

Mr.B. Hoyte will contour match any barrel - not a problem - it is his standard operating procedure.
I know he does ML and BP ctg. barrels - I'm pretty sure he makes smokeless-powder barrels as well.

Bores and rifles to desired twist as well.

--------------------
Daryl

lancaster
.470 member

Reged: 06/05/08
Loc: There's a lighthouse in the mi...
      #293486 - 08/01/17 08:12 PM

isnt it possible to make a new one by using an old lee enfield barrel?

--------------------
Norwegian hunter misses moose, shoots man on toilet
bringing civilisation to the barbarians

henry_r
.224 member

Reged: 11/11/16
Loc: nsw australia
Re: A Surprise 'Parts' Rifle..! [Re: lancaster]
      #293491 - 09/01/17 12:17 AM

That was a score and a half. It is a good thing it went to who it did for destruction. Short of not cutting it at all it couldn't have been chopped more sympathetically.
A huge thumbs up to whoever did the work.

I'm sure I'm not the only one that would have loved to get thier hands on some of those parts... but rebuilding the rifle is so much better.

Are there any legal issues to contend with it once it's finished?

Roy
.300 member

Re: A Surprise 'Parts' Rifle..! [Re: henry_r]
      #293499 - 09/01/17 02:06 AM

Hi Gents,

No legal issues as this was not done in this country, enough said. My contact was a real gent to work and we have agreed to keep contact should he get any more examples of this rifle, so I'm really hoping more 'parts' will be available at some point. I did ask that he not cut through the stock next time, so fingers crossed for the future as I know we all need parts for projects and I still have my Greener No1 to re-stock.

A good friend of mine has said that a Lee- Metford barrel is of the correct profile and will fit, also he believes a SMLE barrel may work. As mentioned earlier I have already contacted one chap who is a very experienced Enfield gent who may be able to assist me, but as he is traveling at this time I have to wait for his return home so we can look at options.

Cheerio,

Roy

--------------------

Sarg
.400 member

#293515 - 09/01/17 08:05 AM

As I said before Roy MLM ELM = Lee Metford, BSA commercial barrel is best match as the roll marks are on the barrel with civilian proofs, they are slightly heavy profile & this put the feel off a bit, I had some turned down but it is only a very slight amount .

A SMLE will screw on no trouble but is not what you want for your model there !

Oh you need to fill one hole on these, unless you find a Motty or BSA target barrel, I think you will have contacts to find one or more of these, if more than one drop me a line lol !

Old_Glass
.300 member

Reged: 17/03/10
Loc: BC, Canada
      #294665 - 02/02/17 05:02 PM

Looks like a hand hacksaw job; angry ex or soon to be ex?

Whatever the case, that's a hell of nice parts car. I think your best bet would be to rebarrel it, soldering on the sights, lug, loop and foresight just as per the original. How was the original bore?

If you want you could cut the original Nock's Form off, bore it out and sleeve it over the new barrel to preserve the markings and profile.

Roy
.300 member

Re: A Surprise 'Parts' Rifle..! [Re: Old_Glass]
      #294681 - 03/02/17 05:27 AM

Hi Gents,

Thanks so much for all the comments and advice, goodness knows I need it with this one.

Due to pressing work and personal projects, I will have to temporarily shelve any plans for this, so it will go on my 'to-do' list for the time being. But rest assured as time allows and when I can get back into the project I will for sure keep you all updated.

On another topic - I just heard a rifle I bought some months back has been given the go ahead by the Feds for importing (from the UK to the US), so it's being shipping next week.

A good start to the year!

Cheerio,

Roy

--------------------

Waidmannsheil
.400 member

Reged: 19/04/13
Loc: Melbourne Australia
      #294682 - 03/02/17 05:55 AM

Good to hear Roy, one never knows with government officials whether or not things are going to go smoothly. Looking forward to seeing your new purchase.

Waidmannsheil.

--------------------
There is nothing wrong with vegetarian food, so long as there is meat with it.

Roy
.300 member

Re: A Surprise 'Parts' Rifle..! [Re: Waidmannsheil]
      #294687 - 03/02/17 06:41 AM

Thanks Waidmannsheil,

Very much appreciated. The whole experience has taken a few month, so not quick! And I'm sure I still have some weeks to go.

Still it's a pattern of Lee-Speed that I don't yet have and it looks to be in super clean condition too, so rather excited.

Cheerio,

Roy

--------------------

93x64mm
.416 member

Reged: 07/12/11
Loc: Nth QLD Australia
Re: A Surprise 'Parts' Rifle..! [Re: Rule303]
      #294688 - 03/02/17 07:19 AM

Quote:

G'day Roy, Thanks for posting the eye candy. I do share Vikings sentiments and do know the frustrations of what the authorities here cause. Glad your friend was able to rescue the remains and the whole lot was not lost altogether.

Certainly sad to see such a wonderful piece of history all but destroyed!

I bought many years ago an old M1 carbine (Winchester), I cleaned it all up for my oldest lad for when he progressed up from using a .22; I also had a .243 & a .303 then so bit of a jump up for a young lad - hence buying what I did.
Yes it was a very sad day to take it in to be 'reclaimed' by the government (Never forgiven John Howard for what he did), I had already contacted a local military museum for them to have it passed to - but if it went to the government collectors it would only be destroyed!
So I took it back out of their hands & told them "There is NO price on history" (that what this is really about) & donated it directly to our military museum.
"But you'll get no refund" they said - the look of shock on their faces was enough reward for me! Yes we must have our principles & we must not let these wonderful pieces of working art be destroyed!
So thanks to you Roy we will see it come back in 'restored' form - far better than not at all!
Keep up the good work!
93x64mm

darwinmauser
.300 member

Reged: 07/05/07
Loc: Darwin NT
Re: A Surprise 'Parts' Rifle..! [Re: 93x64mm]
      #294704 - 03/02/17 02:34 PM

Looking at the photo it appears that the barrel stub including the knox form is still screwed into the action, a good gunsmith could bore and thread this to screw a new tube in without losing the knox form or any markings that are there. It's perhaps another option.

Roy
.300 member

Re: A Surprise 'Parts' Rifle..! [Re: darwinmauser]
      #294707 - 03/02/17 03:03 PM

Hi Darwinmauser,

An interesting suggestion and one I had not considered nor knew was possible.

If this was possible it would be nice to retain the markings.

There are certainly more options suggested than I had ever considered.

Cheers,

Roy

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
1 registered and 10 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 7119

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com