Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Lee Enfield help please.

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Lee Speed Forum & Archive

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
JohnK
.275 member

Reged: 02/12/06
Loc: Australia
Re: Lee Enfield help please. [Re: Matt_Graham]
      #199408 - 14/01/12 09:41 AM

Quote:

Hey JWK

As you may have told you before I am building one of these at the moment. Had a new stock design made-up by Gordon Cussens in Tassie... (pretty sure he is a member here) it is a new pattern that we worked on (well, you know - I gave him some thoughts and he made it!!) and he can cut-out extra stocks in that design and he also has a couple other stock patterns I believe. Afro has my stock at the moment and is doing the final metal work and blueing etc and now I 'just' have to get the engraving, checkering and stock finish done. Still got a ways to go yet .. This stock pattern was a little fuller in the grip than a traditional Lee Speed but still keeps the general lines.

I can send you some images if you like?? Will post them here eventually too.... My aim with this project was to make a very high quality Lee Speed 'type' ... I have only been let-down once so far when a certain gunsmith (NOT Afro) bludgeoned the numerals '303' into the side of the new barrel... need to correct/cover-up that somehow!! That was my fault of course... should have told him to do it underside or something but did not occur to me. You live and learn I guess...

Cheers
Matt

Thanks Matt,

That woodwork looks fantastic. Looking forward to seeing the completed rifle. Now I am totally confused as to which way to go.

--------------------
JohnK

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Juglansregia
.275 member

Reged: 20/04/08
Loc: Tasmania
Re: Lee Enfield help please. [Re: JohnK]
      #199503 - 15/01/12 02:17 PM

Thanks for the kind comments.

FROM MEMORY (HAR! Not as good as it used to be), the grip on the new pattern is actually slightly more open than the "typical" original Lee Speed patent rifle I have measured, as far as "trigger-to-grip" measurements are concerned. It is the curve of the grip which is different. I cannot remember the comb dimensions off hand, but they are similar to many Lee Speeds, and suited to open sights. Cast is there, but not extreme.....just enough to make it comforable enough for the mythical average shooter. I can achieve minor dimensional variations when machining, and have the dimensions for this set duly recorded. I also now have a version of the new pattern without a cheekpiece. The cheekpiece on the new pattern has been very slightly changed from the pics. I can machine an integral euro style forend tip dowel on the sets if required.

These are not so easy to make, the forends are a bit of a task to fit up nicely, especially when the stocker infrequently tackles them. Like most jobs there are a few tricks to them. Maybe not a good project for a novice stockmaker.

Matt chose a nice piece of wood, I reckon. A bit cranky behind the wrist, but I feel it should be strong enough for the job. If it does go in years to come, I guess I'll just have to make him an even nicer set gratis. I gotta say, Matt was good to work for and Tony Small kindly facilitated sending/recieving the job to/from me.

Patterns like these take a lot of work, but in this case it is my while doing. A similar pattern for the No4 will be upcoming in a few months. Yes, I have all the Geoff Slee "custom" (I hate that word) patterns. Delivery time for exising patterns is fairly prompt (I machine in stages to allow the wood to relax so it takes some time), around 2-3weeks. New patterns are a different story entirely. I hope the moderators don't mind the info.........edit as you see fit.

Matt_Graham
Sponsor

Reged: 26/02/04
Re: Lee Enfield help please. [Re: Juglansregia]
      #200395 - 23/01/12 05:15 PM

A 'bit' cranky yes. I asked Gordon if he thought it may be too cranky. He said, "Oh I will replace it with another one if you want"...... No, no, no, wait, wait, dont....

--------------------
www.huntaust.com.au

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Lee Enfield help please. [Re: Rule303]
      #201193 - 31/01/12 05:03 AM

While looking through old Rifle and Handloader magazines for a .50 Alaskan article for the Finnish fellows, I came across an article in Handloader #170, 1994, page 36.

The article by Brian Montgomery is about a conversion to .45/90 on a No.IV Mark 1.

I do not know the pressure of the loads, however the author suceeded in chronographing 2,273fps with 350 and 2,130fps with 400gr. bullets using IMR3031 powder in each load along with Remington 9 1/2 magnum primers.
The author felt these loads are suitable for both No.1 as well as the No.4 rifles as he said he kept them under 45,000psi. I do not know how he came up with his pressure numbers, but in comparring to .45/70 data, he is likely quite correct in his estimates.

He used delrin inserts in the magazine to keep the ammo at the rear and to take up slack for single stack loading. It holds 4 rounds and feeds smoothly, according to the text.

The chart I have shows SAAMI specs on the .303 Brit being 49,000psi, while the CIP rating is 53,000PSI.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Old_Glass
.300 member

Reged: 17/03/10
Loc: BC, Canada
      #220039 - 23/11/12 05:58 AM

JohnK I would say that action is a bit too significant to sporterize, being the first year of Edward VII's reign and all that, first full year anyway.

You can see it took a heck of beating when the barrel was removed: look at the peening over of the barrel ring and the lug the front guard screw threads into.

You call of course, but if you want charger loading and a two stage trigger a later action would be easier to use.

LesLeeSpeed
.300 member

Reged: 14/11/13
Loc: Queensland Australia
      #239216 - 13/12/13 10:51 AM

Hi Guys,
How about an update on the LS build.
Regards
Les

Matt_Graham
Sponsor

Reged: 26/02/04
Re: Lee Enfield help please. [Re: LesLeeSpeed]
      #239329 - 15/12/13 11:15 PM

Mine is still at the engraver... still havent finished the stock yet either... lack of time!!!

--------------------
www.huntaust.com.au

JohnK
.275 member

Reged: 02/12/06
Re: Lee Enfield help please. [Re: LesLeeSpeed]
      #239429 - 17/12/13 08:18 PM

Quote:

Hi Guys,
How about an update on the LS build.
Regards
Les

Mate mine is now at the gunsmith, all coming together. Will keep you updated when I get it back.

--------------------
JohnK

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 12 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 21132

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com