Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: poor mans version of the lee speed

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Lee Speed Forum & Archive

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
FrankS
.300 member

Reged: 06/10/08
Loc: New Iberia Louisiana
poor mans version of the lee speed
      #119763 - 29/11/08 04:11 PM

I think "The Ghost and the Darkness" had a lot to do with the popular and increased interest in these rifles. Just like "Matthew Quigly" did for the sharps rifles. Me, well I'm different. Saw some of the posts on these rifles on this forum and was hooked. My rendition may not truely be like the Lee Speed, but it will be a rendition of my own mind. I plan on using military #4 wood as I have seen a coulple in that guise. Walnut of course. Will be sometime before she speaks but will appreciate that even more. I've gone down the "project road" and they always seem to fall by the wayside. Usually its because I run out of patience or money or both. Been whiling away the time working on the parts I presently have. The bolt is almost cleaned up, but thought a bolt with a solid lug on the right side would look much better than one whose lug has been hollowed out. May have a line on a couple #1MKIII cocking pieces so if that pans out I'm just that much closer. Frank

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
darwinmauser
.300 member

Reged: 07/05/07
Loc: Darwin NT
Re: poor mans version of the lee speed [Re: FrankS]
      #131341 - 03/04/09 09:28 PM

Hi Frank, I'm trying to make sense of your post, do you have a #4 lee enfield or a #1 ???,

the inletting on a #4 is very different to a #1 as is the bolt , the 2 rifles look similar but they're not interchangeable.

Sarg
.400 member

Reged: 20/01/07
Loc: Nil
Re: poor mans version of the lee speed [Re: darwinmauser]
      #131391 - 04/04/09 08:15 AM

Hi Darwinmauser ! I sent you a PM did you get it ?

Thank you on the 6.5 ! !

darwinmauser
.300 member

Re: poor mans version of the lee speed [Re: Sarg]
      #131437 - 04/04/09 01:58 PM

Quote:

Hi Darwinmauser ! I sent you a PM did you get it ?

Thank you on the 6.5 ! !

pm sent.

FrankS
.300 member

#131445 - 04/04/09 03:55 PM

darwinmauser,well it started out as a jungle carbine receiver. Since I don't have a milling machine all work was accomplished with files aka "the norwegian milling machine". I removed the charger bridge with a small hacksaw, then settled down listening to celine dion on the radio and commenced filling away. Figure I have about at least 30 hours just in filing. The left sidewall was probably the hardest to do. I didn't cut it down as far as others had. As I wanted a little suport for the receiver ring. Found a spare bolt that wasn't pitted and that also is in the white. That channel in the bolt rib was the hardest of all to do. Made up some wooden forms which when arapped with abrasive paper helped remove all the paint, divots in the metal and basically cleaned it up real nice. Next step is to take a large large semi turned barrel blank and make something useful out of it.Should finish up about 24 inches long. Scope mounting is out for now. But have a nice redfield receiver sight that a friend in california used a surface grinder on the back and this should do well with the 35 receiver. Wood will be ex military from springfield sporters. Got the buttstock, and a few other bits. But have to get the trigger, sear spring,and mag release, as well as the bolt release assembly. So as money becomes available I'm getting the bits and pieces bits and pieces at a time. Only way I can presently afford it. When done will be bead blasted and then blued. So instead of a shiny black finish I'll have a matte finish.So that is where I stand right now. Frank

Huvius
.416 member

Reged: 04/11/07
Loc: Colorado
      #131447 - 04/04/09 05:18 PM

Quote:

I removed the charger bridge with a small hacksaw, then settled down listening to celine dion on the radio and commenced filling away. Figure I have about at least 30 hours just in filing.

Celine Dion? Must have felt like 90hrs!

--------------------
He who lives in the past is doomed to enjoy it.

darwinmauser
.300 member

#131457 - 04/04/09 10:24 PM

Quote:

darwinmauser,well it started out as a jungle carbine receiver. Since I don't have a milling machine all work was accomplished with files aka "the norwegian milling machine". I removed the charger bridge with a small hacksaw, then settled down listening to celine dion on the radio and commenced filling away. Figure I have about at least 30 hours just in filing. The left sidewall was probably the hardest to do. I didn't cut it down as far as others had. As I wanted a little suport for the receiver ring. Found a spare bolt that wasn't pitted and that also is in the white. That channel in the bolt rib was the hardest of all to do. Made up some wooden forms which when arapped with abrasive paper helped remove all the paint, divots in the metal and basically cleaned it up real nice. Next step is to take a large large semi turned barrel blank and make something useful out of it.Should finish up about 24 inches long. Scope mounting is out for now. But have a nice redfield receiver sight that a friend in california used a surface grinder on the back and this should do well with the 35 receiver. Wood will be ex military from springfield sporters. Got the buttstock, and a few other bits. But have to get the trigger, sear spring,and mag release, as well as the bolt release assembly. So as money becomes available I'm getting the bits and pieces bits and pieces at a time. Only way I can presently afford it. When done will be bead blasted and then blued. So instead of a shiny black finish I'll have a matte finish.So that is where I stand right now. Frank

Well OK that makes sense now. Are you keeping it in 303 or is it going to get adventuress ???

I'm also building a speed, one thing led to another and mine's going to become a 375 ,2 1/2 flanged Nitro Express.

FrankS
.300 member

#131528 - 05/04/09 04:53 PM

Actually the caliber of choice is at this time between two calibers. I have a long branch 2 groove barrel thats on another rifle its in great condition and has just been completely cleaned of any copper fouling so as to shoot cast bullets.Has one small pitted area about 8" from the muzzle and that should not present any problems with cast bullets. The other choice of caliber is the 303 british cartridge necked up to take 375 diameter jacketed bullets or 377 diameter cast bullets. That barrel is presently a semi turned barrel blank. I have enough meat at the breech end of the barrel blank to get a good mate up between the receiver and the barrel. Since the 375 blank will probably see more cast bullets than
jacketed ones it just may have a heavy taper to it maybe on the order of .750 at the muzzle.It should finish up about 24" long when all is said and done. Never did any barrel work in a lathe before sso this will be a definite learning experience for me. Will be using military wood for this as I cannot afford a fancy two piece stock set.I already have the butt stock and for end from springfield sporters. The enfield for end will require a lot of cleaning and reshaping as it came of a drill rifle. Will see how well it matches the long branch for end I already have. So that's about it for now. Frank

Rolland
.333 member

Reged: 31/12/06
Loc: Camp Verde, AZ
      #131580 - 06/04/09 09:18 AM

Here are a couple of reworked SMLE's that I have. The top is a 1925 Lithgow that I made into a semi Lee Speed. .303 caliber with a Bishop stock. I cut the magazine to 5 rounds and added a front ramp and peep rear sight. I am not sure what sight would be correct but the peep works very well. I removed the charging clip and welded up the holes. I left the cutoff intact.
The bottom is a 45-70 I made up a couple of years ago for a pig gun but as yet it is not blooded.
I like the SMLE's the action is smooth and really very simple to work on. The brits had it right when they developed this action. I can see why it has stuck around for so long.

Edited by CptCurl (20/10/10 10:09 PM)

Story
.333 member

Reged: 15/10/08
Loc: SE PA, USA
Re: poor mans version of the lee speed [Re: Rolland]
      #131717 - 07/04/09 05:55 PM

Quote:

The bottom is a 45-70 I made up a couple of years ago for a pig gun but as yet it is not blooded.
I like the SMLE's the action is smooth and really very simple to work on.

Did you do anything special for the 45-70 magazine?

Oh, and James Paris Lee was an American. His original design was in .45-70, showing once again how things come full circle.

http://www.remingtonsociety.com/rsa/books/Gene

Rolland
.333 member

Reged: 31/12/06
Loc: Camp Verde, AZ
Re: poor mans version of the lee speed [Re: Story]
      #131866 - 09/04/09 06:59 AM

Story
The magazine in the gun was from Navy Arms, they can be made from the .308 mags by a new follower and reshape the mag lips.

FrankS
.300 member

#131981 - 10/04/09 04:54 PM

Or a second version for the selection of 303 barrels. Have a P14 in 303 british.receiver is toastcould take the good p14 barrel off the messed up receiver and use it to rebarrel the "poor man's lee speed project". Bore dimensions should be tighter, and should be able to get a tight chamber out of it. We shall see cause I have a cheap sporterized P14 coming in shortly. Check out that barrel and see which is the better of the two and use the best one. So actuslly I now have three choices 2-303 barrels and 1 375 semi turned blank. Ah the wheel keep turning. Frank

Story
.333 member

#132140 - 13/04/09 02:33 AM

Frank,
As they're becoming rarer, you'd be better off selling or using a good, un-messed-with P14 barrel to restore a sporterized P14, then finding a chopped or as-issued No 4 barrel for your Lee Speed project.

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #132160 - 13/04/09 09:43 AM

Quote:

Here are a couple of reworked SMLE's that I have. The top is a 1925 Lithgow that I made into a semi Lee Speed. .303 caliber with a Bishop stock. I cut the magazine to 5 rounds and added a front ramp and peep rear sight. I am not sure what sight would be correct but the peep works very well. I removed the charging clip and welded up the holes. I left the cutoff intact.
I like the SMLE's the action is smooth and really very simple to work on. The brits had it right when they developed this action. I can see why it has stuck around for so long.

Roland - your work on those Enfields is inspiring. I have a couple #3 actions and a #4 that I re-chambered to .312 Express than I might convert to something useful, like a .45/70 - or maybe just another .458 2" - hey - be modern a .450 Marlin would also work in the #4 - and with improved performance over the lever gun - really not needed but definitely possible.

The #4 .312 Express gets 2,960fps with 174's.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

FrankS
.300 member

Re: poor mans version of the lee speed [Re: DarylS]
      #132168 - 13/04/09 03:03 PM

Story, well I do have a spare P14 action I've been just saving until the right barrel came along. Has some pitting on the receiver ring and along the wood line. And there is a blonde p14 stock just waiting to be married to the receiver and barrel. It all depends how the new p14 looks when I get it. The receiver has been drilled for both weaver bases and the right side of the receiver for a rear sight.So at the present neither barrel is actually will be wasted or should I say unused.
Almost sent the folks here a missive about not getting the rifle up and firing. Seems I found a winchester high wall rifle chambered in 23-20wcf. Barrel has been relined so the bore was good. Price was right as well.Only bug a boo was that it was a number 1 barrel on the high wall action. After getting it opened to take either the 32-40 cartridge or the 38-55 cartridge. But then the question arouse about the small barrel tennon on the #1 barrel. So would had to get a 30" long 32 or 375 barrel and get it threaded to take either of the two mentioned cartridges. And since I have a perfectly nice high wall action with schutzen trigger guard and set triggers and has the larger barrel tennon I passed on the sale. I'm not one to tempt the fates especially when it comes to safety.So with that said and as money becomes available the calibers will be either the good old 303 british or a version that is the 303 british cartridge case necked up to take 375 cast and jacketed bullets.Still have to get some more parts from springfield sporters such as trigger assembly, mag catch and spring, trigger guard with the two screws, stock bolt, spring and washer, the pins for the trigger set and bolt release assembly. Once I get all that and test fit them, construction can start from there.I find that If I do a project slowley but shuely it gets done. Am looking for a early type cocking piece for my project. The one that has the flat end with the circular ring around it and the knurling. These seem to be kind of hard to locate. So there we are for now. Frank

Story
.333 member

#132212 - 14/04/09 02:14 AM

Quote:

Story
The magazine in the gun was from Navy Arms, they can be made from the .308 mags by a new follower and reshape the mag lips.

Roland,
The next time you make one, would you consider taking step-by-step photos and posting a tutorial?

As a Public Service Announcement, I've seen the following 'For Sale' posted on several other forums within the last 24 hours and figured fans of this thread might want to contact the seller. I have no association with this person and no further information these rifles.

WTS: Antique Lee Enfield #1 rifles $340.00 and up
By:Jim B in Warroad MN <riversidesports@gmail.com> (74.61.156.141)
Date: 4/12/09 11:46

Have here an assortment of historic #1 Lee Enfield rifles in .303 British. All are manufactured prior to 1899 and are exempt from GCA regulation meaning they ship direct without need for FFL. Know your States laws. All have been sporterized in one way or another but each are shooters. These can also be used as the basis for build up of your own Range Rifle using available #1 MkIII furniture, hardware & barrels.
{1} Enfield 1896 SN16XX. Barrel length 21" w/VG bore. No mag, cut forend. $350.00
{2} Enfield 1896 SN81XXX. Barrel length 27" w/VG bore. No mag, cut forend. $325.00
{3} Enfield 1893 SN82XX. Barrel length 25.5" w/Fine bore. No mag, cut forend. $360.00
{4} Enfield 1898 SN63XX. Barrel length 25" w/VG bore. Cut forend, MkIII barrel in exc cond fitted with #1 sights $395.00
{5} Enfield 1892 SN47XX. Barrel length 25" w/Fine bore. Cut forend $385.00
{6} Enfield 1896 SN2XX. Barrel length 21", fitted up with rare original Lee Enfield carbine barrel with fine bore. Cut forend, no mag. $385.00
Lots of potential with these. Actions are clean and undrilled/buggered
Shipping flat $20.00 anywhere in the lower 48' per rifle.

FrankS
.300 member

#132281 - 14/04/09 02:38 PM

Story, is there enough meat left in the breech portion of a #4 barrel to set it back so as to get a decent chamber?. And have enough metal to correctly fit it to the receiver ring?. And you are correct as to the saving the P14 barrel as like you mentioned there aren't many good ones around. Thanks, Frank

darwinmauser
.300 member

#132285 - 14/04/09 04:47 PM

Frank ....your making it hard for yourself here, .A#4 barrel has the same thread as a #1 so it will screw straight on, but....the barrel timing is different so the extractor slot will be on the wrong side,so ...all you need to do is machine half a thread+ or- off the breach and the same amount off the shoulder,recut the extractor slot, tidy up the chamber and Bob's your uncle.

cheers
Pete

Story
.333 member

#132353 - 15/04/09 10:05 AM

Frank
What DarwinMauser said, although stripped No 1 barrels are $42 (these had been out of stock, guess they found more) and No 4 barrels $63 at Numrich.
http://www.e-gunparts.com/DisplayAd.asp?chrProductSKU=486190&chrSuperSKU=&MC=
http://www.e-gunparts.com/DisplayAd.asp?chrProductSKU=306890&chrSuperSKU=&MC=

darwinmauser
.300 member

#132370 - 15/04/09 01:34 PM

Story, the #1 barrels will be to light a profile unless ,they are the Australian made heavy barrels which end up about the same diameter as the #4 barrels.
cheers
Pete

FrankS
.300 member

#132378 - 15/04/09 03:09 PM

Story, sure wish us yanks could get some of the 303 match barrels you seem to have in Australia unfortunately importing barrels is no longer possible. Some more of our shrinking tax dollars at work.
Frank Checked the gun parts section you mentioned. Doesn't say wether or not they are two or five groove barrels. My long branch sporter 1942 has a two groove bbl and my 1949 FAZ has a five groove barrel. Come to think on it, don't remember ever seeing a long branch with anything but a two groove barrel Frank

Story
.333 member

#132470 - 16/04/09 09:47 AM

Frank,
I'm an American in America and those barrels are from Numrich, up in NY.

Carpetsahib
.333 member

Reged: 29/04/07
Loc: Western NC
      #145112 - 04/11/09 02:02 AM

Here is a reworked No.4 that I did a few years ago. This one is equipped with a Parker-Hale target sight.

Edited by CptCurl (20/10/10 10:10 PM)

BillfromOregon
.333 member

Reged: 27/10/04
Loc: Sweetwater, by God Texas
Re: poor mans version of the lee speed [Re: Carpetsahib]
      #145440 - 09/11/09 03:32 AM

Carpetsahib: Nice rifle! Even nicer stock!

Carpetsahib
.333 member

Reged: 29/04/07
Loc: Western NC
Re: poor mans version of the lee speed [Re: BillfromOregon]
      #151603 - 24/01/10 03:23 AM

Thanks, Bill. We initially had a problem with this rifle, in that it exhibited a wandering zero. The rifle made nice little cloverleafs while testing, but the cloverleafs were sometimes several inches away from the desired POA. These variations appeared to coincide with weather changes. Several fixes were contemplated, including using a barrel band to tie the front end of the forend to the barrel.

Then we noticed that the back of the forend was touching the front of the socket; it is supposed to have a clear sight-line from top to bottom, but did not. To correct it, we simply scraped the offending area until we did have a sight-line. Test firing reveals that the zero is holding steady, even after a recent episode of rainy weather. The problem appears to be solved.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 13 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 30794

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com