Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: I have been to the bottom

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Europe

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Chasseur
.375 member

Reged: 18/11/03
Loc: Hunting classic Indian game!
Re: I have been to the bottom [Re: 93mouse]
      #90175 - 30/11/07 06:36 PM

Mouse,

Thanks for posting the wonderful story and the great pictures. That was a beautiful area by the waterfall.

Cheers

--------------------
In regards to action he should devote himself to hunting...
-Machiavelli

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
hoppdoc
.400 member

Reged: 02/03/06
Loc: Southeastern USA
Re: I have been to the bottom [Re: Chasseur]
      #90178 - 30/11/07 07:22 PM

Great story!!

It seems like it's always ugly,dark and down in some hole when you have to go down to get a special one!!

--------------------
An armed man is a citizen of his country, an unarmed man just a subject.

93mouse
.375 member

Reged: 17/08/07
Loc: Slovenia
Re: I have been to the bottom [Re: hoppdoc]
      #90190 - 30/11/07 09:50 PM

Gentlemen the pleasure is all mine - it is always nice to share things in such a nice society!

André
.333 member

Reged: 28/06/04
Loc: Brussels (Belgium)
      #90306 - 01/12/07 11:33 PM

OK, it does indeed look like a buck. That's why I was amazed you mentioned "an old chamois goat" in your post.

--------------------
André
---------------------------------
3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: I have been to the bottom [Re: hoppdoc]
      #90311 - 02/12/07 12:17 AM

Quote:

Great story!!

It seems like it's always ugly,dark and down in some hole when you have to go down to get a special one!!

There are places around here I no longer elk hunt because 1 climb out is one thing, but 7 or 8 trips to get the whole carcass out is quite another thing. I have done that on occaisions and now with age, gray hair and dare I say it...wisdom, yes, that's it...avoid it if at all possible. As for bear, that is different game entirely as we have no control over where they tree or bay up. Of course, we don't HAVE to pull the trigger on a treed bruin, but a bayed bear sometimes demands it. Getting them out is tough stuff. There is a fellow around here that is a butcher. He packs his knives and a saw to the animal, along with freezer paper and a tarp. Right there on the spot the entire critter gets cut-and-wrapped and all superfluous bone and non-edibles are left for the yotes. THAT is good thinking. Then it's only 3 or 4 trips out!!

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

93mouse
.375 member

Re: I have been to the bottom [Re: 9.3x57]
      #90444 - 03/12/07 10:01 PM

Old buck taking a revenge - wound that bitch got from a chamois developed into a haematoma - so I had to reopen the wound and let the blood and pus out - lymphatic gland got swollen too, but as I wright this down (with a healthy dose of antibiotics) condition is getting better...

JabaliHunter
.400 member

Reged: 16/05/07
Loc: England
Re: I have been to the bottom [Re: André]
      #90456 - 04/12/07 03:53 AM

Quote:

OK, it does indeed look like a buck. That's why I was amazed you mentioned "an old chamois goat" in your post.

You've lost me

93mouse
.375 member

Re: I have been to the bottom [Re: JabaliHunter]
      #90470 - 04/12/07 06:18 AM

Jabali - it must have been a "linguistic" difference - I assumed the goat refers to a male while Andre thought I meant female. One of the differences in sex with chamois is a shape of hooks - if you look them from side - males are usually shorter buth thicker with more like "U" shape, while with females horns are thinner but longer with shallower - more like "L" hooks.

Here is a pic for ilustration - left 1 yo male, right 16 yo female:

André
.333 member

Reged: 28/06/04
Loc: Brussels (Belgium)
      #90549 - 04/12/07 09:45 PM

93mouse is assuming correctly. I assumed that a chamois goat is a female, while a male would be called a buck. Isn't that so ?

--------------------
André
---------------------------------
3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.

armbar
.300 member

Reged: 25/05/05
Loc: So Cal USA
Re: I have been to the bottom [Re: André]
      #90853 - 07/12/07 05:03 PM

Mouse,

Fantastic story, thank you.

Is that public land that you hunt on? Here in the states we hunt on National Forest land that anyone with a tag (for the particular animal ie bear, deer) can legally hunt on.
Are there many other hunters that you have to compete with?

Also, I've used Google earth to look at country that I haven't been to, and I agree, it's always steeper than it looks on Google!

Nice going!

Armbar.

93mouse
.375 member

Re: I have been to the bottom [Re: armbar]
      #90868 - 07/12/07 08:16 PM

In Slovenia game is a property of the state, no matter where (public or private land). Hunting areas are out on lease to the Hunting associations (around 200+ of them) that pay for land based concessions. Owners of the land where concession is leased, have preempted right to membership. Concessions are leased for 20 years (new law proposal is 10 years). Previous leaser has a preempted right on next concession period. Inside our association (60 members) we divide the hunting ground in smaller parts that 4-5 hunters should take care for. On our concession (6000 Ha) we shoot 40 red deer, 30 wild pigs, 120 roe deer, 8 chamois...per year...

It is a good system that supports wild life on long term and offers a lot quality hunting if one desires. We inhabited this system from communist times, but now there are growing appetites from landowners to claim the game for themselves – it will be a blow to the wildlife and hunting rights no doubt.

armbar
.300 member

#90897 - 08/12/07 05:24 AM

It sounds like a decent system. Is it expensive?

Armbar.

93mouse
.375 member

Re: I have been to the bottom [Re: armbar]
      #91170 - 10/12/07 09:41 PM

Not at all - in fact it can't get cheaper I guess - membership fee is ~ 100 €/year - you get 12 issues of our national hunting magazine included. However in our local society you have to work out min. 25 hours in the field - you get a permission for 1 trophy/present year. If you work 50 hrs you get 2 trophies and for 75 hours you get 3 trophies/present year - it is only permission inside quota available - who comes first... If you can't work out minimum 25 hours you have to pay 15€/missing hour and you get that 1 trophy permission but can't upgrade i.e. can't buy 2nd and 3rd trophy permission. Nontrophy game is considered management and there are no restrictions inside quota available - in fact you are more than wellcome to take as many as you can.

P.S. Trophy animals are: Bear, Boar (male tusker), Red stag (grown male), Roe buck (grown male), Chamois (both sexes - grown animals)...

EricD
.416 member

Reged: 27/02/04
      #91180 - 11/12/07 02:57 AM

Quote:

However in our local society you have to work out min. 25 hours in the field - you get a permission for 1 trophy/present year.

When you mention that you have to work in the field for a minimum of 25 hours, what does this mean? Thinning brush, planting trees etc?

Erik

armbar
.300 member

Re: I have been to the bottom [Re: EricD]
      #91255 - 11/12/07 04:19 PM

Mouse,

I'm curious about the bears. What kind do you have over there? Similar to our Black Bears? How big are they?
Are they common?

Thanks,

Armbar.

93mouse
.375 member

Re: I have been to the bottom [Re: EricD]
      #91265 - 11/12/07 07:12 PM

Yes Erik stuff like that: First thing in the spring is distributing of the salt into salt lickers and clean up of puddles from fallen branches, stones…later (April, May) boars hit the meadows and we patch up the turf so we can cut the grass lately, dry it and store it in feeders that game visit frequently in the winter when natural food become scarce, we also plant some corn on our own fields – after pheasant hunts in October we collect the corn and distribute it in the feeders as well…there are old high seats to be repaired and new ones to put up…stalking trails also have to be maintained every 3 years or so…lots of work to be done and it is a great way to introduce youngs to the hunting – they get the feeling that hunting is not just about shooting, it also intensifies hunters bound to the hunting ground and the game – you simply care more.

Armbar we have Brown bears (Ursus arctos) here. They are frequent - you stumble upon one at least 5 times/year and they are more of a nuisance than anything else (tho I like them). Grown males can reach over 300 kg here (old ones around 20 years old) ~ 150 on average, while females are smaller ~ 120 kg on average.

93mouse
.375 member

#103914 - 30/04/08 05:37 PM

“If I succeed - to get the hooks…
…and a shaky tuft - of Goat,
Then all the rest is vain - I know”

tarawa
.333 member

Reged: 21/10/07
Loc: South Florida
      #104639 - 09/05/08 10:00 PM

Thanks for sharing this great experience.

--------------------
Life is for Service

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 7 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 9018

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com