Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Handicapped hunting!

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Europe

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
EricD
.416 member

Reged: 27/02/04
Handicapped hunting!
      #63917 - 12/10/06 08:52 PM

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
EricD
.416 member

Re: Handicapped hunting! [Re: EricD]
      #63918 - 12/10/06 08:56 PM

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #63927 - 13/10/06 02:03 AM

Note all the lead on the jacket as it was peeled back. That's due to the bonded nature. Taht the bulelt didn't disintegrate is due to the bonded nature. The jacket material is quite soft by appearance.
: Considering what it went through, I'd say it acted quite well. Much tougher, and it might not expand sufficiently on a lung's-only hit, most common in this country.
; Another possible good bullet, judging from a single animal kill only, is the Combined Technology Silver Tip. At point blank range, through both shoulders of a 200 pound whitetail, with impact velocity over 2,800fps, the 7mm 140gr. S.T. held together after going through both shoulders. I'd have expected most guilding metal/soft lead core bullets to blow apart under that condition, but it didn't.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Double_Trouble
.375 member

Reged: 27/04/06
Loc: Canada
      #63929 - 13/10/06 02:19 AM

WAY TO GO ERIK!!!

great post and photos! well done !

I leave mfor moose/bear next week and hope to have the same kind of success as you and the "B" team had !

I should add that that is one keen and fine looking dog and he also did an admirable job!

--------------------
Double Trouble,
Speak not of what you do not know.
Listen up when it's time to.

EricD
.416 member

Re: Handicapped hunting! [Re: DarylS]
      #63933 - 13/10/06 03:05 AM

Daryl,

The Fusion bullet is to a certain degree what can be considered bonded, as the jacket is electo-chemically applied to a lead core. Or something like that from what I've read on the ammo box! Unlike a traditionally bonded bullet where the jacket is filled with molten lead and then heat treated.

Either way, it killed the moose. But remember than this was just a small 1 1/2 year old, which we later weighed to be 117 KG gutted, skinned, no legs, etc. A decent bull would be between 250-300 KG, and twice the width.

There is one guy with us who uses Silver Tips, but that's mainly because he has a ton of them laying at home. We've found that they don't always hold up well on bigger moose.

I've had excellent experiance with Swift A-Frames, Trophy Bonded Bear Claws, Rhino, and North Fork bullets on our moose, while using .308 Win, 30-06, 375H&H and 300 Wby. Althought the Weatherby created too much meat damage for my liking, so I sold it after a couple of seasons.

Erik

EricD
.416 member

Re: Handicapped hunting! [Re: Double_Trouble]
      #63934 - 13/10/06 03:14 AM

DT,

I hope you have fun on your upcoming hunt, and look forward to reading/seeing a report!

As you can see, our moose hunting is a bit different than what is done in the US, but driven hunting with dogs is the way it's been done here in Scandinavia for years, and is the only efficient way to get the numbers of moose on quota, in order to keep the population stable. Although I enjoy doing a bit of sneaking around by myself in addition. Which of course isn't possible for me this year...

As of today, we have 9 of the moose down, and 10 more to go. 3 bulls, 3 cows and 12 calves+1 1/2 years olds in total.

Here's a link to last years moosehunt, to give you a bit more insight: Moosehunting 2005

Erik

Chasseur
.375 member

Reged: 18/11/03
Loc: Hunting classic Indian game!
      #63937 - 13/10/06 04:15 AM

Nice Erik!!

Congradulations! If there's a will there's a way! Kinda like how freshman year of college I still managed to chase after some other game even though I was in crutches (she was real attractive, but the date in all honesty really sucked...)

--------------------
In regards to action he should devote himself to hunting...
-Machiavelli

Yochanan
.375 member

Reged: 26/01/03
Loc: Volksdiktatur Schweden
Re: Handicapped hunting! [Re: Chasseur]
      #63953 - 13/10/06 08:12 AM

Erik,
Congratulations!! I guess you would have gone hunting even with one leg

Cheers
Johan

--------------------
© "I have never been able to appreciate 'shock' as applied to killing big game. It seems to me that you cannot kill an elephant weighing six tons by ´shock´unless you advocate the use of a field gun." - W.D.M. Bell: Wanderings of an Elephant Hunter.

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #63957 - 13/10/06 12:58 PM

Erik - With that shoulder shot, I was surprised the moose went as far as it did. I usually find them 50 yards from impact as they generally want to lay down as soon as possible. Moose are babies that way - at least they are here. Perhaps the wind was bad and she thought she was being chased.
: The fact the bullet was under the hide on the far side with 68% weight retention and after going through bone, shows it did a fairly good job. A non-fusion or non-bonded bullet rarely holds together that well, especially with expansion back to the base like that. Were the lead not bonded to the jacket, the core would probably have separated.
: I-too gained a dislike for the .300 Magnums due to tissue distruction and rapid recoil. I much prefer shooting my big bores - or the 7mm Mauser, whichever I happen to be packing.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

AdamTayler
.375 member

Reged: 22/03/04
Loc: B.C.
      #63961 - 13/10/06 04:54 PM

Erik

Glad to see you were able to get out for a swamp donkey. Have you tried calling for the bulls? Are they pre rut right now or in the middle of it?

Nice rifle by the way.

--------------------
It's the journey, not the destination.

EricD
.416 member

Re: Handicapped hunting! [Re: AdamTayler]
      #63965 - 13/10/06 06:32 PM

Adam,

The rut is over. I take it that it lasts longer into the year over on your side of the pond? I have previously tried to do a bit of calling, although I haven't gotten lucky with that so far (I probably don't sound quite right when doing it). but I have used a contact sound to stop moose that are running past me, and that has worked.

Daryl,

She definately knew that the dog was following her, so even though she wasn't 100% spooked, she undoubtably had a bit of adrenalin flowing. Our moose aren't "hard" either, but then I've also seen many moose that are pumped up with adrenalin that have gone 100-150 meter with a gapping hole in their heart, and ripped up lungs! But then some drop down after a couple of steps. Of the 40+ moose I've shot, I personally have never had one go further than about 50 or so meters that I can recall. And have found that they generally go shorter with a .375 then with a .30 calibre thru them.

Chasseur,

I'm sorry to hear that your date sucked back then. I hope they have improved since.

Johan,

I probably would try to go hunting with one leg. Although I hope this injury doens't come to that. I must admit though that I am inside typing this because the pain is too bad to go out with the others today even for a few hours. This is typical after being abused by the physiotherapist the day before. Hopefully tommorow will be better, and I'll get out a bit.

Erik

AdamTayler
.375 member

Reged: 22/03/04
Loc: B.C.
      #63969 - 13/10/06 07:16 PM

Erik

In northern B.C. the rut is around the last week of September, and as you travel south, the rut starts later.

--------------------
It's the journey, not the destination.

500grains
.416 member

Reged: 16/02/04
Loc: Salt Lake City, Utah USA
Re: Handicapped hunting! [Re: AdamTayler]
      #64267 - 19/10/06 04:54 AM

That is an excellent report! (for a cripple )

EricD
.416 member

Re: Handicapped hunting! [Re: 500grains]
      #64406 - 22/10/06 07:35 AM

Thanks Dan. Having re-read my report, I see from the typing/spelling mistakes that the ankle injury has spread to my brain too!

The other guys have been out for the past few days, but I have not joined them due to my physiotherapy appointments. Maybe I'll get up there next weekend, as there are still a few animals on our quota that need to be dealt with.

Erik

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #64419 - 22/10/06 02:37 PM

Hooray for the B-Team!

I like the photos of the route of the moose through the forest. Really illustrates the commentary in the story.

Also the photos of the forest show what the country and terrain that you are hunting in is like. Again combined with written explanations makes a fine "picture".

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Double_Trouble
.375 member

#64737 - 27/10/06 07:47 AM

Erik:
been back from the Moose/Bear hunt and not a decent opportunity to squeeze off even one round.
we saw game Cow with a calf and then a young bull (probably the cows yearling ) but had no chance on them..... we only had calf tags as none of the five of us drew an adult tag this year. we baited hard for bear as well with a good size pile of edibles but not even a track could be found around the goodies. i guess thats why they call it hunting and not killing. we worked hard at it all day and just as hard all night in the liars den in our camp. i will say this .....i didnt miss one beer that i took aim at !

I am sure that we will have better results on deer in a couple of weeks....i'll keep you posted

How's tha ankle?

--------------------
Double Trouble,

EricD
.416 member

#64819 - 28/10/06 07:45 AM

DT,

The ankle has been a bit painful in the last days, most likely due to an increase in physiotherapy. So I haven't felt up to going out again.

As of today, there is 1 bull, 1 yearling and 1 calf left of our quota, and hopefully the guys will finish up this weekend.

I'm sorry to hear that you didn't get a chance at the moose you saw, nor any bears. Better luck next time, and on the deer in a few weeks.

Interestingly, my mother phoned me today to tell me how the hunting has been in the last couple of days. A few inches of snow has fallen, so fresh tracks are easy to see. While walking thru the forest to where she was going to be posted this morning, see came across fresh bear tracks right were she was supposed to sit! They were only a few hours old at the most! No one spotted the bear itself though, and hopefully it has moved on out of our area. It's presence might explain why we and several nabouring areas have had a hard time getting the quota, as the moose have been fewer then usual, and very easily spooked. The tracks were within a kilometer at most from where we found a half eaten moose calf a couple of years ago. That one moved off eventually, and I hope this one does to. As you may know, we are not allowed to hunt them...

Erik

Double_Trouble
.375 member

#64937 - 31/10/06 03:53 AM

too bad about the ankle ,,,, hope it is feeling better soon
yeah , the deal on the bears surprised us as i figured that we would for sure see some based on the buffet we set out for them but we may still have a chance on them when we deer hunt if they havent denned up by then that is.
i wasnt aware that you couldnt shoot them where you are, there is no season on them at all?

we are planning to set up a quick and dirty blind for the ducks on the pond behind our camp..... if we get out there and sit before sunrise, they should be pretty easy quarry as there are birds in there every morning.

just gotta find someone in camp that knows how to cook one up!

--------------------
Double Trouble,

EricD
.416 member

#64949 - 31/10/06 05:23 AM

DT,

Both bears and wolves are protected here in Norway...

Although occationally, bears that create problems are shot. But such permits are VERY rare, even when they've killed large numbers of domestic sheep...

Erik

Kalunga
.333 member

Reged: 16/06/06
Loc: Germany
      #66250 - 03/12/06 06:53 AM

Erik

Congratulations or "Weidmannsheil" as we German hunters say. Besides, You've got a beautiful dog, looks like a good hunting companion !

Kalunga

EricD
.416 member

Re: Handicapped hunting! [Re: Kalunga]
      #66252 - 03/12/06 07:14 AM

Thank you Kalunga.

You might find last years report interesting ( Moose hunting 2005 ), as I was then able to do my dog handler duties as I usually would. Hopefully my ankle will be fully functional again in a couple of years, so I can get back to sneaking around with my dog.

Erik

Double_Trouble
.375 member

#66471 - 07/12/06 12:09 AM

Well Erik.... the camp got two deer this year.... a miserable showing for 7 guys.
there were however many misses so it wasnt like there was no game to see. We have a tradition in our camp that goes like this ,,,, if you miss a shot at game (which pisses the doggers off to no end) another member of the camp is permitted to cut a portion of the shirt you are wearing off and pin it to the "wall of shame" along with a peice of paper stating your name, the date, and what you missed. suffice it to say that we are either going to have to put an addition on the camp or start taking much smaller portions of shirt.

one fellow who took a young buck this year also missed on two doe from less than 40 yards by his own account. the upside to this is that it was his first time hunting and he did bag one. the downside to it is that he was wearing a nice shirt which now has two good size strips missing from the back of it.

all in all we had a helluva a good time and ate and drank like kings while we were there and still had some meat to bring home.

we still have three weeks left in the season (bow) and i have purchased a crossbow. there is some property (about 100 acres) that i have access to within 15 minutes of home so i will try and get out a couple of times before the year ends and sit patiently and try to bag one.
i left my tree stand stored in the camp so i will find a good stump to park my ass on and wait ,,,,its worth a try and i can think of lot less desireable things to be doing.

since my tag is valid in a different WMU, i am only permitted to take a buck, so my odds are somewhat decreased but what the hell.... its still hunting.

hope you are on the mend with that ankle !

DT

--------------------
Double Trouble,

larcher
.416 member

Reged: 11/01/05
Loc: Saverne, Alsace, France
      #67300 - 18/12/06 04:36 AM

Erik

How about coming in France a couple of days before the end of the hunting season the 1th february? After all You have plenty of time left as far as You are not asked to nurse the kids night and day.?
But we'd have to cheat.

No hunting licenses are issued to disabled people in France

--------------------
"I don't want to create an encyclopedic atmosphere here when we might be having a beer instead" P H Capstick in "Safari the last adventure."

EricD
.416 member

#67348 - 19/12/06 04:24 AM

Quote:

We have a tradition in our camp that goes like this ,,,, if you miss a shot at game (which pisses the doggers off to no end) another member of the camp is permitted to cut a portion of the shirt you are wearing off and pin it to the "wall of shame" along with a peice of paper stating your name, the date, and what you missed. suffice it to say that we are either going to have to put an addition on the camp or start taking much smaller portions of shirt.

I was afraid you were going to finish the story with how one of the guys cut 2 circles out of your shirt, right where your nipples are!

Seriously though, I'm sad to hear that things didn't go as smoothly as one would have wished. But it sounds like a good time was had by all anyway, which is what really counts, and as you said, the season isn't quite over. Maybe you'll get a second chance!

Erik

EricD
.416 member

Re: Handicapped hunting! [Re: larcher]
      #67356 - 19/12/06 05:03 AM

JB,

Popping down for a quick visit before the end of the season would be fun, and the "Boss" would have no trouble taking care of the kids alone for a few days. It would in fact be a relief, since she would then have time off from taking care of me!

So as to not break the law in France, I will camouflage my crutches with green spray paint, so no one sees them in the forest.

I'll send you an e-mail this evening.

Erik

larcher
.416 member

#67473 - 20/12/06 06:08 AM

We'll hunt together the 27 & 28th february, the last driven hunts of the season.
I'll buy some pigs and tether them in the woods.

--------------------
"I don't want to create an encyclopedic atmosphere here when we might be having a beer instead" P H Capstick in "Safari the last adventure."

EricD
.416 member

Re: Handicapped hunting! [Re: larcher]
      #67485 - 20/12/06 07:15 AM

Just make sure they will be tethered with a very short rope, so they can't move around while I pretend to sneak up on them with my camouflaged crutches.

Erik

larcher
.416 member

#67592 - 21/12/06 08:27 AM

careful son!!!!!!!!!!!!, only rutting males.............waiting to be sort of..........milked.

--------------------

Edited by larcher (21/12/06 08:29 AM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 8 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 4513

You rated this topic a 5.
Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com