Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Wild Boar Attacks 2019

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Europe

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
tinker
.416 member

Reged: 12/03/05
Loc: Nevada
Re: Wild Boar Attacks 2019 [Re: 93mouse]
      #330167 - 16/07/19 06:13 AM

Quote:

Daryl spot on. In his book "Shotgunning The art and the science" Bob Brister describes how he taught a teenage girl how to shoot

Fantastic book.
I have a copy of it here.

--------------------
--Self-Appointed Colonel, DRSS--

"It IS a dangerous game, and so named for a reason, and you can't play from the keyboard. " --Some Old Texan...

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Wild Boar Attacks 2019 [Re: DarylS]
      #330172 - 16/07/19 08:17 AM

Quote:

At the ranges presented, instinctive shooting is about all I would need - and a 12 bore with GOOD slugs would be the go-to gun - for me.
When training, we taught our guys to hold a 6" group at 25yards shooting instinctively. My riot squad could all do that. I taught "Big Ron" to do this with his 8 3/8" M29 with factory duplication loads. Gun held at shoulder level, just looking at the centre of the target, no sighting.
It only took 45 minutes of one on one training for him to accomplish this. Afterwards he said:
"I thought this was impossible, you were just blowing smoke. If I hand not just done this myself, I would not believe it."
Having a greased "metal-man" surely helped speed up the process.
I noticed most of the instinctive/pointing shots landed high and/or far back. That is common without 'some' practice at this type of shooting. Hip shooting makes shots land even higher for most people.

Going to try that myself.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
      #330186 - 16/07/19 07:40 PM

Quote:

At the scenarios from the vid any aiming device is superfluous. It is all about point and shoot - a well fitted gun that shoots where you look is worth more than anything else. A good marksman is suppose to hit a dinner plate out to 15m just by pointing without aiming.
Shooting air rifle (.22 l.r. etc) without any aiming device or sporting clays with shotgun is great training for things like that.

Why I said looking over the sights or down the slide. I did this when I had my original Aimpoint and surprisingly the dot was where my pointing the barrel was. For many years now I have not look for the sight when using an Aimpoint, just look where I want to hit and raise the gun to that and the dot is there. Works at longer range's as well. Try it. Just remember do not look for the dot just bore a hole with your eyes where you want to hit and raise the rifle to it.

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Wild Boar Attacks 2019 [Re: tinker]
      #330204 - 17/07/19 04:09 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Daryl spot on. In his book "Shotgunning The art and the science" Bob Brister describes how he taught a teenage girl how to shoot

Fantastic book.
I have a copy of it here.

That is a good book. I will have to get it.

When I spoke of shooting high "from the hip" I was referring to the shotgun. Some are worse for this than others, like very short barreled 12 bores or pistol-griped shotguns seem to really shoot high. Even the standard 18" bls. were really bad for shooting high. Ours (Corrections) were M870's with 20" bls. and tube extenders for 7 rounds total, so with one up the spout, they were 8 shot guns. They were not as bad, but still, the tendency was to shoot high from the hip.
We had to run drills of holding the left arm, hand on the forend, with elbow locked. That usually gave centre of mass hits - with average shaped individuals, locking the elbow for each shot. We also demo'd that mounting the gun for snap shooting was just as fast, or faster then all the second guessing of trying to shoot from the hip.
At this point, I will note, the "token" females we were made to enlist on the riot squad all quit after the shotgun training.

The guys were taught to automatically count their rounds fired and loaded while safety-on & reloading between targets when moving, safety off and shooting. It all became instinctive for them. At any time we'd halt them and ask how many rounds in the gun - they had to know then prove it - and after a few trials & watching others, had to be counting-always, they became not only accurate shooters, but always knew what was in the gun - spectator or shooter had to count as well, as anyone was liable to be asked - CEASE FIRE - HOW MANY ROUNDS IN THE GUN - BOB? - DAVE? - RON? - KEITH? or the shooter would be asked.

That was fun and games & actually quite stressful for the shooter, when running stages - barricade to barricade on multiple targets, ALL called by #, having to reposition to use as much cover as possible.

I loved the training, every spring.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Gundog01
.333 member

Reged: 16/05/15
Loc: Ohio usa
      #333096 - 07/10/19 02:25 AM

Number 5, nothing beats sharing the field with a loyal & courageous hunting dog.

With enough training an aim point or similar red dot sight is far superior to iron sights in close combat. Period.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Wild Boar Attacks 2019 [Re: NitroX]
      #333114 - 07/10/19 06:32 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Wonder why No1 did not fire. Why would you hunt in very close scrub with a scoped rifle. Can't see more than 10 feet, scope would be a big hindrance.

When I use to hunt around the Booligal area in NSW the Hay hospital treated more people for wounds inflicted by pigs than any other type of wound/injury. Mind you blokes use to be on all fours crawling through lignum (type of vine bush similar to lantana) tunnels with a short shotgun or lever action carbine.

Same reason as 'hunters' put 12 - 36x scopes on their "hunting" rifles. They shoot paper, talk on the internet and have no idea.

Many shooters have never shot a rifle without a scope and have no idea about it.

I think every new shooter and especially young boys and girls should all start off with a .22 RF single shot and open sights. And learn with it, and move on from th

Watching the video again, I had EXACTLY the same thought.

Also that some of these guys need to practice with their firearms more, and also learn how to shoot them. One problem is excessive range safety. The dickheads who believe your firearms must be chamber unloaded, safety on all the time, uncocked or even the action broken open all the time. Hunting is hunting, and range safety belongs on the range not the hunting field. However there is also hunting safety of course, and some people fail at it all no matter what.

On the video, I did not, I think it was the first video, where the guys were standing. In a open cut, in a line, and facing the thick forest. So a boar running out, probably is between the hunters. Dangerous. Why aren't they standing on the other side of the cut?

Also not the poor dogs. One dog yelps at the shot, I think it is hanging on the end of the boar when firing. I think he stands then as the boar continues forward. Hopefully was not hit by shot. I would not want my dog being on one of these hunts with these dickheads.

And a couple of times after an incident, the hunter staggers away, in shock at the closeness, meanwhile the dog is doing the work. Why isn't the hunter moving around to shoot the boar again? In one example he wasn't even touched, though it came close.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Wild Boar Attacks 2019 [Re: jgrabow]
      #333115 - 07/10/19 06:38 PM

Quote:

Turn the volume up for #1. You will hear a click just before the boar gets to him. Did he forget to load the rifle, bad ammo?

Probably a range trained shooter who carries his firearm empty chamber until it is "needed".

I have hunted with a host who insisted all guns broken open until shooting! And it was walked up pheasant shoot! So the guns were open and when a pheasant rose, you closed your gun, mounted it to your shoulder to shoot. Called excessive safety and risk worries by the host. Possibly he had an incident with a dickhead.

On the other hand I remember ErikD from these forums. First day I hunted moose with him, and was on the highest furtherest out spot on the mountain. Being new he was going to sit with me the first time. I was to walk the trail first. Then Erik and then a bunch of others. In line, the last person would peel off at the proper spot and head to their "stand". As the first person, Erik had me chamber a round, put the safety on, a Mauser M03 was it was uncocked, in case we bumped into something on the way up. Everyone else had chambers empty on closed guns. A sensible way to do it and safely.

When stalking, still hunting etc, I always carry a firearm round chambered, and usually safety off/cocked. Keep the muzzle in a safe direction. Safety on, when needed.

And the scope usually wound right down, unless in very open country or hunting small game.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

poprivit
.333 member

Reged: 09/04/07
Loc: Las Vegas, NV
      #333145 - 08/10/19 02:25 AM

That was boar hunting?

Looked like a Mongolian cluster F*** from where I stand.

Last guy should take up remedial sewing, or canasta.

Yup - unloaded gun!

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Wild Boar Attacks 2019 [Re: poprivit]
      #333148 - 08/10/19 02:50 AM

Quote:

That was boar hunting?

Looked like a Mongolian cluster F*** from where I stand.

Last guy should take up remedial sewing, or canasta.

Yup - unloaded gun!

On some of these estates guests are invited. Or clients buy a place possibly as a group of hunters. So varying experience from a lot to none at all. All sorts of different standards possible. Some estates would be picky, and invitation only. Others might be whoever buys the spots or day.

Some countries are known for their undisciplined and inexperienced behaviour as well. Generally speaking.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #333163 - 08/10/19 04:31 AM

My hunters had the magazine only, loaded and with bolt closed on an empty chamber when we were hunting moose. My .458 was always loaded, safety on.
Once we got to where we were setting up to call, they were allowed to load. On the way to that location, there was always possibility of having
bear trouble. I always led (of course) and could not trust most 'hunters' with loaded firearms.
I did not trust 80% of the hunters I guided. Some were OK and it only takes a day getting things sorted out before the hunt starts to see who knows
what they are doing and who doesn't. Range checking guns allows an easy observance of competency(safety & knowledge of proper gun handling).

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 7 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 8357

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com