Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Wild Boar Attacks 2019

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Europe

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Wild Boar Attacks 2019
      #330051 - 12/07/19 09:03 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8ia1icbqJc

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: Wild Boar Attacks 2019 [Re: NitroX]
      #330053 - 12/07/19 10:44 PM

The #1 shooter seems to have gotten smoked by the boar..

Think #2-5 should be "Wild Boar Got In The Way" vs attacks

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Wild Boar Attacks 2019 [Re: Ripp]
      #330061 - 13/07/19 02:33 AM

Cool!

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Waidmannsheil
.400 member

Reged: 19/04/13
Loc: Melbourne Australia
Re: Wild Boar Attacks 2019 [Re: DarylS]
      #330071 - 13/07/19 09:15 AM

Certainly can be quite nasty at close range.

Matt.

--------------------
There is nothing wrong with vegetarian food, so long as there is meat with it.

Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
Re: Wild Boar Attacks 2019 [Re: NitroX]
      #330072 - 13/07/19 09:40 AM

Wonder why No1 did not fire. Why would you hunt in very close scrub with a scoped rifle. Can't see more than 10 feet, scope would be a big hindrance.

When I use to hunt around the Booligal area in NSW the Hay hospital treated more people for wounds inflicted by pigs than any other type of wound/injury. Mind you blokes use to be on all fours crawling through lignum (type of vine bush similar to lantana) tunnels with a short shotgun or lever action carbine.

Waidmannsheil
.400 member

Re: Wild Boar Attacks 2019 [Re: Rule303]
      #330077 - 13/07/19 11:17 AM

That's where an Aimpoint is perfect.

Matt.

--------------------

tinker
.416 member

Reged: 12/03/05
Loc: Nevada
Re: Wild Boar Attacks 2019 [Re: Waidmannsheil]
      #330079 - 13/07/19 01:09 PM

Even the aimpoint or similar optic can be difficult in close and fast cluttered situations.

That last one where the hunter got smacked - I wonder if he had a safety get in the way of his shot.

--------------------
--Self-Appointed Colonel, DRSS--

"It IS a dangerous game, and so named for a reason, and you can't play from the keyboard. " --Some Old Texan...

Waidmannsheil
.400 member

Re: Wild Boar Attacks 2019 [Re: tinker]
      #330081 - 13/07/19 01:51 PM

At those distances and at that speed you can easily get the Aimpoint on target specially as you leave both eyes open and when looking down at the target you barely even notice the rim of the optics, at least that has been my experience.

Matt.

--------------------

DarylS
.700 member

#330087 - 14/07/19 01:23 AM

Quote:

Even the aimpoint or similar optic can be difficult in close and fast cluttered situations.

That last one where the hunter got smacked - I wonder if he had a safety get in the way of his shot.

Safety-on, was my thought as well.

--------------------
Daryl

Rule303
.416 member

#330090 - 14/07/19 08:28 AM

Quote:

At those distances and at that speed you can easily get the Aimpoint on target specially as you leave both eyes open and when looking down at the target you barely even notice the rim of the optics, at least that has been my experience.

Matt.

That is why I love my Aimpoints. They have worked for me in similar situations, just like looking over open sights only a red dot is seen.

Edited by Rule303 (14/07/19 08:30 AM)

tinker
.416 member

#330099 - 14/07/19 02:08 PM

The dot optics require training, they're not nearly as intuitive as a solid iron front sight.

I've had them on guns, rifles, and handguns for over 20 years - and still they're not as fast or intuitive as iron sights.
Also if the shooter has an eyeglass prescription for astigmatism, that dot ends up looking like a smidge.

--------------------

"It IS a dangerous game, and so named for a reason, and you can't play from the keyboard. " --Some Old Texan...

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#330101 - 14/07/19 02:13 PM

Quote:

Wonder why No1 did not fire. Why would you hunt in very close scrub with a scoped rifle. Can't see more than 10 feet, scope would be a big hindrance.

When I use to hunt around the Booligal area in NSW the Hay hospital treated more people for wounds inflicted by pigs than any other type of wound/injury. Mind you blokes use to be on all fours crawling through lignum (type of vine bush similar to lantana) tunnels with a short shotgun or lever action carbine.

Same reason as 'hunters' put 12 - 36x scopes on their "hunting" rifles. They shoot paper, talk on the internet and have no idea.

Many shooters have never shot a rifle without a scope and have no idea about it.

I think every new shooter and especially young boys and girls should all start off with a .22 RF single shot and open sights. And learn with it, and move on from th

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Rule303
.416 member

#330102 - 14/07/19 05:09 PM

Quote:

The dot optics require training, they're not nearly as intuitive as a solid iron front sight.

I've had them on guns, rifles, and handguns for over 20 years - and still they're not as fast or intuitive as iron sights.
Also if the shooter has an eyeglass prescription for astigmatism, that dot ends up looking like a smidge.

I disagree. I found I was quicker with the Aimpoint than open sights. Other dot sights I have to hunt for but not the Aimpoint. Others tell me they find Helio sights quicker. In very thick scrub with moving pigs I never got behind the open sights just looked over the barrel. With the Aimpoint the dot was always in sight in these situations.

Waidmannsheil
.400 member

#330103 - 14/07/19 06:56 PM

I have to agree with Rule, I find that the Aimpoint is on target every time and exactly where you want it, especially if you turn the brightness up one notch from where you would normally have it. This focuses your eye on the target with the dot rather than the dot itself. That was one of the things we learned at the Aimpoint training day and it really works. Most of the guys including the older blokes at the BGRC have switched to red dot sights for all the close up rapid fire events as well as those events where the targets move. I often use the Aimpoint when hunting Sambar in dense forest as you often only have a couple of seconds to make the shot and the Aimpoint is on and where you want it straight away. I have been using one for many years now and love them. They are not the best choice for all situations but at close range in darker light they are hard to beat.

Matt.

--------------------

jgrabow
.300 member

Reged: 22/12/08
Loc: Winter Wisconsin
      #330104 - 14/07/19 09:24 PM

Turn the volume up for #1. You will hear a click just before the boar gets to him. Did he forget to load the rifle, bad ammo?

--------------------
Jim

DarylS
.700 member

Re: Wild Boar Attacks 2019 [Re: jgrabow]
      #330113 - 15/07/19 02:03 AM

I agree, Jim - I heard that too, second time I watched it. Miss-fire or failure to load.

--------------------
Daryl

tinker
.416 member

#330128 - 15/07/19 06:58 AM

Good for you guys who get better performance out of the dot sights than the irons.
It's just not that way for me. At this time in my life I am starting to see my eyesight losing it's edge.
I've tried most all of the best optics available, always with the same general results - a bit of hunting for the dot, and for me the dot isn't a dot it's a smudge.

I have a Merkel 375 here today that we've fitted with a Trijicon RMR (I also have a similar product from aimpoint), I'm adjusting it to the rifle. For it's class of sight it's top shelf, but same issues with clarity for me. It's my astigmatism. The 'seeking for the dot' issue is basically me looking for irons - which to be fair to the conversation accounts for only a couple tenths of a second. Together the issues definitely get in the way of a fast shot.

At some time I'll likely need to do something about my eyes getting older and I'll hopefully get some remedy with front sight illumination. I've gotten fantastic results with fiber optic bright day sights. I've worked with tritium lamps, with mixed but mostly positive results. I'll pursue those routes as far as I can.

--------------------

Rule303
.416 member

#330130 - 15/07/19 08:54 AM

Tinker, my eye sight is not what it was but I don't have astigmatism. This I think would make most sights a bit blurry. Most people put Aimpoints in the same dot sight area as others. They are slightly different. They have asymmetrical, I think it is called, Lenses. This means that when zeroed it does not matter if the dot appears to be in say, the top right hand part of the sight, if it is on target it is on. Probably one reason I do not have to hunt to find the dot like I do with any other brand or type of dot sight. With the Aimpoint you are not looking for the dot you look through the scope focusing on the hit area and the dot is there.

The other problems with a Red dot sight is if a person is red/green colour blind. I am told the dot appears as a grey smudge/dot. Also, I have been told, some dot sights wash out with any degree of sunlight directly on the front lens. IE facing a setting sun with less than 3 hours before sunset.

A problem with open sights for me now is I cant see them unless they are very big and then they are blurry. Plays havoc with pistol shooting. I either have to just sight using the flat top of the slide as the sight. ie. make sure it is pointing straight at the target or use glasses that allow me to see the front sight but even targets at ten meters are just a blurred outline. Getting old sucks:-)

I know some have artificial lens placed in their eye to replace damaged/crook eye lenses. I don't know if that sort of surgery is wanted/would work for you.

The 3 fastest sights I have used are Aimpoint, some open/peep sights, Trijacon 1.5-4X24 picket post Accupoints on 1.5 power. Nothing else comes close for me. May I suggest you have have a look through one of the Trijacon Accupoints 1-4X24. These are not quite as for giving as the old 1.5's as their eye box is not as big.

I wish you the best of luck in finding a sighting option that works for you.

Edited by Rule303 (15/07/19 08:55 AM)

93mouse
.375 member

Reged: 17/08/07
Loc: Slovenia
      #330138 - 15/07/19 07:16 PM

At the scenarios from the vid any aiming device is superfluous. It is all about point and shoot - a well fitted gun that shoots where you look is worth more than anything else. A good marksman is suppose to hit a dinner plate out to 15m just by pointing without aiming.
Shooting air rifle (.22 l.r. etc) without any aiming device or sporting clays with shotgun is great training for things like that.

tinker
.416 member

Re: Wild Boar Attacks 2019 [Re: 93mouse]
      #330144 - 16/07/19 12:32 AM

Quote:

At the scenarios from the vid any aiming device is superfluous. It is all about point and shoot - a well fitted gun that shoots where you look is worth more than anything else. A good marksman is suppose to hit a dinner plate out to 15m just by pointing without aiming.
Shooting air rifle (.22 l.r. etc) without any aiming device or sporting clays with shotgun is great training for things like that.

Part of my impression with *any* additional optic on a rifle or handgun in tight/close/fast situations is that it's a distraction. I continue to experiment with low power and dot optics, but in tight and fast situations, especially where the light is low and/or scattered like a bright day in brush the optics slow me down.

--------------------

DarylS
.700 member

#330146 - 16/07/19 12:54 AM

At the ranges presented, instinctive shooting is about all I would need - and a 12 bore with GOOD slugs would be the go-to gun - for me.
When training, we taught our guys to hold a 6" group at 25yards shooting instinctively. My riot squad could all do that. I taught "Big Ron" to do this with his 8 3/8" M29 with factory duplication loads. Gun held at shoulder level, just looking at the centre of the target, no sighting.
It only took 45 minutes of one on one training for him to accomplish this. Afterwards he said:
"I thought this was impossible, you were just blowing smoke. If I hand not just done this myself, I would not believe it."
Having a greased "metal-man" surely helped speed up the process.
I noticed most of the instinctive/pointing shots landed high and/or far back. That is common without 'some' practice at this type of shooting. Hip shooting makes shots land even higher for most people.

--------------------
Daryl

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#330154 - 16/07/19 03:42 AM

Quote:

Tinker, my eye sight is not what it was but I don't have astigmatism. This I think would make most sights a bit blurry.

I used to have perfect eyesight. My eyesight has deteriated with diabetes and horror, age. I used to see perfect circles in dot sights. Now they are little stars. But I can still use express sights most of the time. So far at least. When handgun shooting the close targets are fine. I have a little trouble with the handgun and the 20 or 25 metre target. With the rifle, so far it is fine.

Supposedly per Bob Pretty and the other old Trijicon guys who used to be part of Trijicon in Australia, the triangle dot sights can work better for some people. But no one seems to make them for common sale.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Wild Boar Attacks 2019 [Re: 93mouse]
      #330155 - 16/07/19 03:44 AM

Quote:

Good post.

But being able to hit a smaller clay target is even better and far far cheaper!

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#330156 - 16/07/19 03:46 AM

A charging animal is always different to hitting a target.

However no doubt practising on running charging targets improves mental and muscle memory. In particular if the same firearm is used.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

93mouse
.375 member

Reged: 17/08/07
Loc: Slovenia
      #330166 - 16/07/19 06:05 AM

Daryl spot on. In his book "Shotgunning The art and the science" Bob Brister describes how he taught a teenage girl how to shoot - part of it is available on Google books - scroll to page 15:

https://books.google.si/books/about/Shot...p;q&f=false

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 8353

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com