Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Chamois hunt report

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Europe

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
DORLEAC
.333 member

Reged: 22/01/12
Loc: Perpignan, France
Chamois hunt report
      #275171 - 17/12/15 04:12 AM

Mid November, in the French South Alps, in the area of Belvedere in Vésubie, on the "Castellas", bordering the Mercantour park.
At 2600 meters, after a positive 3500 feet climb on a 38% average slope.
Start at 6 o'clock back at 15... two chamois have paid the price !
Hope you will enjoy the photos.

DORLEAC
www.dorleac-dorleac.com

…hard country

…the climb

Good chamois "bock"

One victim

***For info, I use a technical D&D 6,5 Creedmoor rifle built on a much modified Remington Seven action, fitted with a match grade SS Lothar Walther 23" barrel, bedded in a Mc Millan Edge composite stock.
The scope is a Swarovski Z5 and my binoculars are Swarovski EL 10x32.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
gryphon
.450 member

Reged: 01/01/03
Loc: Sambar ground/Victoria/Austral...
Re: Chamois hunt report [Re: DORLEAC]
      #275175 - 17/12/15 06:59 AM

WHAT? No double rifle? ha ha

Thats a great photo capture of the chamois bedded down too.

--------------------
Get off the chair away from the desk and get out in the bush and enjoy life.

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: Chamois hunt report [Re: gryphon]
      #275183 - 17/12/15 11:31 AM

That is a really nice chamois---I actually hunted one myself about 10 days ago--it was not as good yours..but an incredible hunt just the same. they are a great animal to hunt..used a Blaser R93 in 300 Win Mag..

thx

Ripp

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Chamois hunt report [Re: Ripp]
      #275184 - 17/12/15 11:41 AM

That's great climbing country for you kids.
Well done, both of you. I AM jealous.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
      #275188 - 17/12/15 02:40 PM

DORLEAC, I hate you...................Not really just envious of those who can cover that sort of climb in that time.

Good trophy's and those mountains are far more barren then the New Zealand Alps where I have hunted Chamois. Do you use the hide and meat?

Rip, good animal, to me any Chamois is a good trophy, mind you I do not handle heights to well. I just look at the ground in front of my eyes going up and worry about getting down when the time comes. Figure that when I get hungry enough the hunger will over come the fear

Where did you take yours.

Rule303
.416 member

#275189 - 17/12/15 02:46 PM

Meant to add. I picked the rifle as a modified Rem 700 with what looks like a 783 bolt handle.

Ripp
.577 member

Re: Chamois hunt report [Re: Rule303]
      #275197 - 17/12/15 04:59 PM

Quote:

Where did you take yours.

Northern Spain..

Quote:

That's great climbing country for you kids.
Well done, both of you. I AM jealous.

Oh, Trust me..I am no kid...

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

DORLEAC
.333 member

#275223 - 18/12/15 06:57 AM

Ripp, you chamois is an Isard (Rupicapra pyreneica).
It's the sub-specie that lives only in the Pyrenean Mountains. The South Catalans (incidentally I'm a French North Catalan) hunters name it "rebeco"
To my eyes it's much nicer than the Alpine chamois with a very nicely colored hide.

Rule303, it's a Seven action I have modified for my own use. Have a close look at the picture and you will notice that I use an old, slightly modified, Buehler mount.

Daryl_S, alas, I'm not a kid…I'm 68 years old now. I have two passions: building fine rifles (I try..) and hunting chamois and isard (I do that since 1967 and hope to last some years more !)

DORLEAC
www.dorleac-dorleac.com

Rule303
.416 member

#275226 - 18/12/15 08:57 AM

DORLEAC I do like what you have done with the Model 7.

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #275230 - 18/12/15 09:20 AM

DORLEAC - your rifle work is exemplary and being able to still hunt and climb in the mountains - that also is a wonderful accomplishment. Perhaps once I get over the tendenitis in my new left knee (patella tendon in strife) for over a year now - I too might be able to climb again. It is slowly getting less painful going up and down stairs.
I'd like to do some high country goat, sheep, elk & moose hunting, right here in BC.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

gwh
.333 member

Reged: 28/01/08
Loc: Cairns Australia
      #275231 - 18/12/15 09:20 AM

Fantastic, Great looking country to hunt in.

--------------------
Hunt hard, shoot straight

"I speak of Africa and golden joys; the joy of wandering through lonely lands; the joy of hunting the mighty and terrible lords of the wilderness, the cunning, the wary and the grim"

Theodore Roosevelt, Khartoum, 1910

stug
.275 member

Reged: 20/08/14
Loc: Canterbury, New Zealand
Re: Chamois hunt report [Re: gwh]
      #275254 - 18/12/15 06:37 PM

Lovely looking country, very close to some parts of New Zealand. I also use a modified Rem Model 7 but in 7SAUM.

I think you do better than try to make fine rifles, yours are the benchmark that I judge others against.

Ripp
.577 member

Re: Chamois hunt report [Re: stug]
      #275266 - 19/12/15 01:27 AM

Dorleac

Thank you for the info. and great looking animal you have taken.

Really nice work on the rifle as well..good job on hunting as you do.

I was surprised when in Europe a couple weeks ago how many people use Swarovski. Virtually 90% of everyone I come in contact with had Swarovski binos, scopes or spotting scopes. I have been using them as well for over 20 years but are not as prevalent here in the U.S. I have 3 Z5's on various calibers along with a few earlier models...really satisfied with them and never a problem.

How do you like that stock? I was looking at one of those earlier this year.

You are an inspiration on how you are hunting in your youth..

Thank you and Merry Christmas

Ripp

--------------------

93mouse
.375 member

Reged: 17/08/07
Loc: Slovenia
      #275283 - 19/12/15 04:53 AM

Dorleac - Weidmannsheil!

While I don't agree that Isard is better looking, I can only wish to pursue the dearest game there is when (if) I will be of your age.

Excuse me to take advantage and post a pic of mine Chamois from this year - December the 3rd, 2000 m above sea level SE (Julian) Alps here in Slovenia - took 6 trips to get him - in his 9 year, partly blind and infected with scabies...

DORLEAC
.333 member

Re: Chamois hunt report [Re: 93mouse]
      #275289 - 19/12/15 06:49 AM

Ripp,
While it is true that the high quality SWAROVSKI products are very widespread, it does not mean that they are optically the best for all their models.
In terms of pure optic I think that ZEISS, with its Victory HT series, produces the best scopes. Alas their range of models is reduced and they do not offer an equivalent to the Z5.
Currently the Z3 and Z5 are made in the USA but their quality remains good enough for mountain hunting.
Regarding binoculars I believe that the ZEISS Victory SF 10x42 is the best optical instrument of its kind presently offered on the market, but for weight and size reasons I prefer to use either the LEICA 10x32 HD+ or the SWAROVSKI 10x32 EL as in mountain we does not need a very large objective lens diameter, the brightness being sufficient.
Regarding the McMillan "Edge" stock, I think that it is excellent even if it absolutely need perfect pillar bedding. I also prefer the type of epoxy finish we use, that is stronger than their original paint.

93mouse,
Do not get me wrong, I like as much chamois as isard, although I consider that the isard is more stylish, slimmer and much livelier than the chamois.
Instead of being uniformly black, his coat is a color mixing from dark gray to light brown with a beautiful beige scarf behind the neck and shoulders.

ozhunter
.400 member

Reged: 18/08/04
Loc: Sydney, Australia
      #275296 - 19/12/15 08:24 AM

Absolutely love it! One day with your nice 6.5x57;)

93mouse
.375 member

#275300 - 19/12/15 10:17 AM

Quote:

93mouse,
Do not get me wrong, I like as much chamois as isard, although I consider that the isard is more stylish, slimmer and much livelier than the chamois.
Instead of being uniformly black, his coat is a color mixing from dark gray to light brown with a beautiful beige scarf behind the neck and shoulders.

No problem - I've put it with tongue in cheek - we don't have them here so they look odd (too good to be true) - you know mountain people don't have much appreciation for foreign things

P.S. Same goes with optics - Swarovski or Zeiss I have a Zeiss Diavari VM V

Rule303
.416 member

#275301 - 19/12/15 11:02 AM

Mouse that Chamois is, to me, a very worthwhile trophy. I would rather take an older animal than one with bigger horns. Mind you, the only Chamois I have taken was in New Zealand and I didn't worry about horn size, age or sex but I have a Chamois.

Louis
.375 member

Reged: 13/05/15
Loc: France
      #275314 - 19/12/15 12:05 PM

My contribution to this post:

1. Eight-year old Isard buck harvested in early November 2015 in the central part of the Pyrenean range (Ariege - France):

http://i1042.photobucket.com/albums/b430...zpswigmdzzd.jpg

2. The Mont Vallier area in Ariege:

http://i1042.photobucket.com/albums/b430...zpsnzhedope.jpg

3. The rifle used is a Mauser 66 Model Europa (1972), fitted with a Zeiss Diavari Z 1.5-6x42, and the ammunition used is RWS KS 123 grains:

http://i1042.photobucket.com/albums/b430...zps8xdzdc13.jpg

Louis

--------------------
"Everything that doesn't kill me makes me stronger"

DORLEAC
.333 member

#275333 - 19/12/15 06:19 PM

You are right, the hunt itself is much more important than the trophy and an old animal is alway preferable to a big horned younger.
However on chamois the horns grow with age, the biggest part in the five first years.
Best.

DORLEAC
wwww.dorleac-dorleac.com

DORLEAC
.333 member

Re: Chamois hunt report [Re: Louis]
      #275334 - 19/12/15 06:22 PM

Nice contribution friend Louis...
Mount Vallier isn't for kids !

DORLEAC
www.dorleac-dorleac.com

93mouse
.375 member

#275338 - 19/12/15 08:29 PM

Rule303 - picture doesn't do the trophy justice - visually they don't get much bigger - it actually scored CIC 104,2 that is just shy of 105 scoring silver medal

110 would be gold and the difference isn't obvious to untrained eye - like this one that got away:

...I guess Dorleac's with its horn's spread is very near that.

Just prior that one I got this yearling - and I respect it just the same

Quote:

You are right, the hunt itself is much more important than the trophy and an old animal is alway preferable to a big horned younger.
DORLEAC
wwww.dorleac-dorleac.com

This says it all - every chamois is to be respected - as a trophy but furthermost as a hunt. We - the Chamois hunters are a Tribe - I would swap every stag I shot for the smallest Chamois anytime.

The ambience of the hunt in the mountains, terrain, silence, solitude, even danger sometimes, climbing, usually long shooting distances with extreme angles and nevertheless once you shot Chamois it is only half way since it has to be carried back...there are times when you think to yourself "What the hell am I doing here?" or "Do I really need this?". But once looking back - it is just priceless.

Some more pics from this year

DORLEAC
.333 member

#275340 - 19/12/15 08:59 PM

Quote:

"The ambience of the hunt in the mountains, terrain, silence, solitude, even danger sometimes, climbing, usually long shooting distances with extreme angles and nevertheless once you shot Chamois it is only half way since it has to be carried back...there are times when you think to yourself "What the hell am I doing here?" or "Do I really need this?". But once looking back - it is just priceless."

All is said !

DORLEAC
www.dorleac-dorleac.com

Ripp
.577 member

#275346 - 20/12/15 12:47 AM

Quote:

Quote:

"The ambience of the hunt in the mountains, terrain, silence, solitude, even danger sometimes, climbing, usually long shooting distances with extreme angles and nevertheless once you shot Chamois it is only half way since it has to be carried back...there are times when you think to yourself "What the hell am I doing here?" or "Do I really need this?". But once looking back - it is just priceless."

All is said !

DORLEAC
www.dorleac-dorleac.com

Have only hunted them once so far, but plan to be back next year..agree with ALL that is said above. it is very well stated. Had a chance to shoot ibex while there as well and got lucky enough to shoot a fairly large boar walking back to the vehicle one evening..Was one of the best hunts of my life actually, can not wait to get back.

We actually had this discussion while on my last hunt..personally I feel there is way too much pressure and emphasis put on score versus the actual thrill and enjoyment of the hunt. Personally feel every animal taken is a trophy..

Ripp

--------------------

Rule303
.416 member

#275385 - 20/12/15 11:44 AM

Quote:

Quote:

All is said !

DORLEAC
www.dorleac-dorleac.com

Very true.

Mouse those pictures of the mountains are excellent.

Ripp, I agree totally with what you have said about too much emphasis being put on score and not enough on the actual hunt.

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 6 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 10506

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com