Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Eastern European Traditions

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Europe

Pages: 1
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Eastern European Traditions
      #246675 - 29/04/14 09:53 PM

What are your traditions of the hunt?

Respect and reverence is very highly valued. Before the shoot, a ceremony is held in which all guns gather to acknowledge the game that will be pursued over the course of the day. In front of a wooden bothy a roaring fire lights the Vryad, a rectangle of conifer sprigs where the day’s game will eventually be laid. Guns stand on the bothy side, backed by the loaders, beaters and pickers-up opposite. Three musicians with their hunting horns open proceedings with a gentle fanfare while the estate manager welcomes the group. The closing ceremony arranges the birds in an elaborate pattern while music is played and the group pays homage to the bag. This display indicates the reverence that the Eastern Europeans maintain for the birds and for centuries of tradition.

http://www.theshootingsociety.com/the-gu...cy#.U1952VWSzYR

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Edited by NitroX (30/04/14 06:07 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
AkMike
.416 member

Reged: 19/11/05
Loc: Anchorage, Alaska
Re: Eastern European Traditions [Re: NitroX]
      #246737 - 30/04/14 04:40 PM

I'm a bit further east than those countries mentioned now. We're (finally) about ready to have open season declared on another invasive species that is migrating down into this country.

--------------------
"When you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing; when you see that money is flowing to those who deal not in goods, but in favors; you may know that your society is doomed." Ayn Rand

Sville
.400 member

Reged: 23/03/10
Loc: Sweden
Re: Eastern European Traditions [Re: AkMike]
      #247388 - 13/05/14 04:51 PM

There are not much of traditions like this in Skandinavia. If there are they are influenced by Germany and English traditions, and mostly on estates owned by noble people. Ordinary people mostly shoot and load the animals on a truck. No horns and such things.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Eastern European Traditions [Re: Sville]
      #247392 - 13/05/14 05:08 PM

Lots of traditions can either be good or bad.

They can add to the experience and culture. Add something extra to the hunt, the kill, the butchering and eating of the game. Some fun and often comradeship.

If the traditions are more like excessive rules they can be a real pain. Lots of people looking sideways, talking behind backs etc and often not for real purpose but instead because some petty rule or tradition has been breached.

This is especially difficult for strangers, newbies or foreigners. I was once pigeon decoying in East Anglia in the UK, shooting wild pigeons over decoys. My spot was completely dead and no action, so I walked to stand with two other guys and watch them from behind and have a chat. My mistake was I did not sheath my shotgun into its gun bag and while half way across did consider having a shot at some pigeons flying by. The two guys didn't have any problems with it, ie were not upset, but did tell me, walking with a shotgun not in a gunbag is considered "rough shooting" and we only had rights to "decoy" ie from a fixed position. Some Duke or other person had the rough shooting rights on the property. Rules and traditions ....

I like good natured traditions which add richness to the experience. Where martinettes rule, they have the opposite effect. Some rules and traditions have real reasons for existing too.

Would be interesting to hear of anyones own traditions whether ad hoc, personal to themselves, or part of a bigger culture.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Eastern European Traditions [Re: AkMike]
      #247393 - 13/05/14 05:16 PM

Quote:

I'm a bit further east than those countries mentioned now. We're (finally) about ready to have open season declared on another invasive species that is migrating down into this country.

Mike,

Which one?

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#247394 - 13/05/14 05:26 PM

Quote:

There are not much of traditions like this in Skandinavia. If there are they are influenced by Germany and English traditions, and mostly on estates owned by noble people. Ordinary people mostly shoot and load the animals on a truck. No horns and such things.

Hi Staffan,

From your viewpoint, but you might not realise you do have some traditions, simple ones perhaps. Maybe not all the Germanic ceremony of Central Europe, of horns songs to celebrate the taking of a pheasant, or a boar or whatever tune is called for. All the special language and words, the waidmannsheil etc etc.

But one of the simple Swedish traditions is their love of a camp fire. A fire is built for a get together for morning tea, and the toasting of a sausage over the open fire with long telescopic tongs or a small tong fitted to a light branch. Coffee and sausage, not tea. Again for lunch with a soup. And finally even at the end of the day, another fire is built.

Not sure if this is a peculiarity of Sweden? Because as when I was in Norway last year before heading off to Sweden, one of the Norwegian hunters asked whether the hunting parties in Norway build lots of camp fire.

However even in Norway I was surprised that some moose/elg/alg hunters build little camp fires to sit beside, while on station! On station where they hope to shoot a moose if it runs by. Personally I would worry the small fire might aid in alerting the moose a hunter is there, but maybe they know better than me?

I always try to be careful when hunting in especially Europe not to step on anyone's "toes" as what many take for granted, I may have no idea about. Like taking a beer to the skinning shed. Everyone else had finished theirs in the hut, but I took my unfinished beer with me, and got some looks. Scandinavians are a good and friendly lot of people and very welcoming hosts so usually nothing serious.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Sville
.400 member

#247397 - 13/05/14 06:33 PM

Quote:

This is especially difficult for strangers, newbies or foreigners. I was once pigeon decoying in East Anglia in the UK, shooting wild pigeons over decoys. My spot was completely dead and no action, so I walked to stand with two other guys and watch them from behind and have a chat. My mistake was I did not sheath my shotgun into its gun bag and while half way across did consider having a shot at some pigeons flying by. The two guys didn't have any problems with it, ie were not upset, but did tell me, walking with a shotgun not in a gunbag is considered "rough shooting" and we only had rights to "decoy" ie from a fixed position. Some Duke or other person had the rough shooting rights on the property. Rules and traditions ....

But that is more of a security rule than tradition. Like ours that donīt leave a stand without permission or some directions you are not allowed to shoot at.
I like the German tradition with hornblowing for every specie shot, animals laying on beds of spruce, fires in the corners of the exhibition of the animals. Nice to be guest on such hunts, a lot of work for those doing the arrangements.
I have a hard time with the tweed look at hunts, with tie and that other stuff. Typical English tradition, not very practical.

Sville
.400 member

#247398 - 13/05/14 06:36 PM

I think itīs a good tradition to take care of trophies and in that way honour the animal. I donīt like when people have shot an ok trophy and just throws it away.

HuntingSchneider
.333 member

Reged: 02/04/06
Loc: Tamworth, NSW
      #247403 - 13/05/14 07:35 PM

Quote:

I think itīs a good tradition to take care of trophies and in that way honour the animal. I donīt like when people have shot an ok trophy and just throws it away.

I detest when I see them putting their foot on it, or similar.
I once saw a video of a bloke who'd shot a rhino. Magnificent animal. I'd have been a bag of blithering shit, but this dickhead sat on it's back and pretended to be riding a bucking bronco. Turned the DVD off and returned to owner, the rest unwatched.

--------------------
Liberals, stealing firearms since '96.
Steal one firearm, you're a thief. Steal a million, you're a Prime Minister.

Deutsche_Vortrekker
.333 member

Reged: 27/04/08
Loc: From the Kalahari to the USA
Re: Eastern European Traditions [Re: HuntingSchneider]
      #247407 - 13/05/14 09:58 PM

In the United States when an animal is killed it is like scoring the goal that wins the Stanley Cup ; High fiving ,and big celebration. This really disgusts me .In our family we had always been brought up to respect and honor the game animal for the life it has given us. Not a lot of ceremony ,but respect. To be fair not all Americans do this loud celebration but it seems like so many do and it always embarrasses me when I watch these hunting shows on tv. To us ,it was always the great joy of the hunt ,the mountains ,forest and friends. The kill was always the anti climax to it.

AkMike
.416 member

Reged: 19/11/05
Loc: Anchorage, Alaska
      #247428 - 14/05/14 11:26 AM

Which country or species?

I was in Ukraine and the invasive species is from Russia.

--------------------
"When you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing; when you see that money is flowing to those who deal not in goods, but in favors; you may know that your society is doomed." Ayn Rand

Lutz
.224 member

Reged: 06/05/14
Loc: Germany, Brandenburg
      #247436 - 14/05/14 06:45 PM

On german hunting forums this thread would be a 'chips and beer' topic. Because there we have the ultra traditionalists and ultra 'oekos' (ecological oriented hunters) and ervery mind between those.

Quote:

Everyone else had finished theirs in the hut, but I took my unfinished beer with me, and got some looks.

In Germany you had to be sure to hold your beer only in the left hand!

Quote:

I like the German tradition with hornblowing for every specie shot, animals laying on beds of spruce,
fires in the corners of the exhibition of the animals. Nice to be guest on such hunts, a lot of work for those doing the arrangements.

Today this traditions are only celebrated on driven hunts with many guests. At least where I am hunting its like that. It is a bit of tradition, folklore and not missing a joke.
Every driven hunt has 'king'. Usually it is the college with the biggest or highest animal shot. Highest(?), yes there is a ranking, common is roe deer < wild boar < red deer.
The boss has to say some words about the day...and so on.
On individual hunts (the most practised form) we (I) do not so... I think it is more important to be respectful or ethical to the animal you killed.

Quote:

Yes it is, but on the other hand we have a lot of people (hunters) that do not understand or don't want to understand that hunting in Central Europe (or Germany) is more a wildlife managment.
They are just looking after good trophies, thats all. Sure, they are also shooting female and young game but a doe is boring for them...and that are not the ethics I prefer.

Are my bad rests of school denglish understandable?

It is not the biggest hunting bag.

Edited by Lutz (14/05/14 07:32 PM)

Waidmannsheil
.400 member

Reged: 19/04/13
Loc: Melbourne Australia
Re: Eastern European Traditions [Re: Lutz]
      #247437 - 14/05/14 07:53 PM

Lutz, your English is fine. Unfortunately hunting for "Trophies only" is all to common and popular around the world. Many hunters here in Australia don't eat any of the meat from the animals they kill, which is a disgrace as far as I am concerned. When you explain to these morons about the strong hunting traditions and rules regarding ethical hunting that are practiced in Europe, they laugh and tell you how glad they are that they don't have to do any of that crap. You can't fix stupid and unfortunately these people give hunters a reputation for being blood thirsty killers.

Weidmannsheil.

--------------------
There is nothing wrong with vegetarian food, so long as there is meat with it.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2915

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com