Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: .327 Federal Magnum--Ruger Pistol

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Handguns

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
.327 Federal Magnum--Ruger Pistol
      #92172 - 20/12/07 03:08 PM

Federal has just come out with an "improved version of the 32 S&W and 32H&R--calling it a .327 Federal Magnum--apparently they lengthened the case 1/8th inch to 1.200 inches.

In the test it states that Federal teamed with Ruger. The gun used in the test was a Ruger 101. First load tested was a 85 gr Hydra shock with a muzzle velocity of 1330 from a 3 1/2 in barrel. I t has also been tested in a carbine with an 18" barrel--velocity at 1830 fps.This is considered a "reduced " load.

Another load was 100 grain Sofpoint at about 1400 fps from the handgun and 2101 from the carbine.

Finally the third load is a 115 gr Speer Gold Dot with a mv of 1300 fps and 432 ft-lbs of energy from the handgun.

Article states for defensive purposes it outshines the 38 Special considerably and still allows smaller handguns to have 6 rounds vs the typical 5 such as the S&W J-Frame model 60--I have one of those I carry most days--awesome little gun in .357..

Those interested might want to check this out on their web-site..

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Ripp
.577 member

Re: .327 Federal Magnum--Ruger Pistol [Re: Ripp]
      #92224 - 21/12/07 12:43 AM

Forgot to mention one other item--thoughts of a Marlin lever action for this calber are being tossed around as well

Ripp

--------------------

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: .327 Federal Magnum--Ruger Pistol [Re: Ripp]
      #92234 - 21/12/07 01:55 AM

I give up...

I have been begging {literally, I call...} SIG and Ruger to come out with a auto pistol in 7.62x25 for years, ballistics that hover around what you describe. They staunchly refuse. Grip frame depth issues probably involved.

I carry a Tokarev in that caliber and it is hard to describe just how useful it is around the ranch and in the mountains. 85-86 grain bullets at 1400-1550 fps. Accurate, flat shooting, light recoil, and very lethal on varmints and butcher stock.

I predict the revolver cartridge will struggle and probably not make it, but the superb ballistics can't be denied.

BTW, a 6-inch barrel {for even a smidge more velocity} auto pistol chambered for the 7.62x25 and setup in a modern DA/SA mode pistol with a trim frame like the Tokarev would be the best general use field pistol {big game hunting not included} ever made.

I admit, I like it.

The Tok is a fine pistol, too, except it cannot be carried with a round in the chamber due to the positive firing pin.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: .327 Federal Magnum--Ruger Pistol [Re: 9.3x57]
      #92237 - 21/12/07 02:16 AM

Does this ctg. not sound like a modernized .32/20?

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Ripp
.577 member

Re: .327 Federal Magnum--Ruger Pistol [Re: DarylS]
      #92244 - 21/12/07 03:57 AM

sure does--hey--they need to sell something new...

--------------------

9.3x57
.450 member

Re: .327 Federal Magnum--Ruger Pistol [Re: DarylS]
      #92245 - 21/12/07 03:57 AM

Quote:

Does this ctg. not sound like a modernized .32/20?

Ballistically, yes.

But I suspect the gun companies & ammo makers are loath to chamber high pressure loads in older cartridges. Also, high pressure bottleneck catridges don't work too well in revolvers.

For my purposes, I do not like revolvers much at all, but an SP101 or 640 would be a good start for the new Federal round. Though it may be deserving of better, I suspect it'll die a reasonably quick death.

I still want a fast .30-.32 cal auto pistol round chambered in a modern light, flat pistol with good sights and good trigger pull.

The Tok meets all the size/sighting/trigger pull requirements but the action is out-dated.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

Tatume
.400 member

Reged: 09/06/07
Loc: Gloucester, Va USA
      #92352 - 21/12/07 11:28 PM

Quote:

I still want a fast .30-.32 cal auto pistol round chambered in a modern light, flat pistol with good sights and good trigger pull.

I've always been interested in the AMT 30 carbine. Not sure why.

9.3x57
.450 member

Re: .327 Federal Magnum--Ruger Pistol [Re: Tatume]
      #92357 - 22/12/07 01:43 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I've always been interested in the AMT 30 carbine. Not sure why.

I've wondered about that one, too. Grip frame is very deep and feels a bit worse to me than a CZ52 which I don't like. There is a lot of flash with a .30 Carbine pistol, too as is demonstrated with the Ruger Blackhawk version as well.

But the ".30-cal" pistols have a lot going for them. Few people seem to give them much of a try, as most seem to gravitate to the deer-killers and from there on up. But the current trend in field handguns totally leaves me dry. I am not a "handgun hunter" per se, but carry a handgun daily, and shoot mostly vermin with one. Carrying around a .460 Ruger does not appeal to me at all.

Funny thing is that it seems to be easy to make converts to the flat .30's. All that needs to be done is to turn a fellow loose in the woods with one {ditto the .22 pistol for that matter}!!

John Barsness wrote an interesting article some years ago about his packin around of a .30 Luger and how much pure fun he had with it. Absolutely true, and that cartridge falls a bit behind the 7.62 Tok. He found the truth about handguns and the woods, however; for 90% of the critters to be shot in the field, a .44 is totally unnecessary and in fact may be something of a detriment.

--------------------

NE450No2
.375 member

Reged: 10/01/03
      #92372 - 22/12/07 05:52 AM

9threeXfifty7

I know Jeff Cooper liked his 6" barreled LW Commander in 38 Super for a field pistol.

Not exactly the same as your 7.62 Tok, but the same principle.

Could something like a 1911 or a Hi-Power be rebarreled and worked over to take the 7.62?

NE450No2
.375 member

Re: .327 Federal Magnum--Ruger Pistol [Re: NE450No2]
      #92373 - 22/12/07 06:01 AM

Also on carrying a live round in the chamber.
I saw this somewhere, cannot remember where, but a fella got a piece of leather that would fit between the hammer and the firing pin.

This piece of leather was thick enough to keep the pistol from firing.

It was attached to the holster. So when he drew the pistol he would pull back the hammer just a little to release the hammer's grip on the piece of leather, then he would cock the pistol.

This was not done for a "fast" draw, but so he could quietly draw a cocked pistol in the field.

Ie. not have to "rack" it to chamber a round.

Tatume
.400 member

Reged: 09/06/07
Loc: Gloucester, Va USA
      #92377 - 22/12/07 06:26 AM

I do something similar with my muzzleloading rifle. It works very well.

Paatti
.333 member

Reged: 18/01/07
Loc: Finland
Re: .327 Federal Magnum--Ruger Pistol [Re: Tatume]
      #92390 - 22/12/07 07:55 AM

Cz-52 is bit more modern than tokarev and in my opinion it is much more accurate and extremely strong.

I do also could easily find some tasks for .327 FM. Sinle action ( DA is also exeptable) revolver and handy lever action carbine for varmints and for small game. 22 lr is bit too light for big badgers on caves and 38 bit too much. 32H&R mag is quite ideal but bit flattened trajectory is not bad on field use.

9.3x57
.450 member

Re: .327 Federal Magnum--Ruger Pistol [Re: Paatti]
      #92400 - 22/12/07 12:03 PM

450: Frame sizes of many modern pistols are not quite deep enought to handle the length of the round. Not sure about the 1911,as I don't own one anymore. The Browning GP/High Power is too short, but was chambered in .30 Luger and they can from time to time be found on Gunbroker in that caliber etc. It isn't quite the 7.62 Tok, though.

The leather thing idea sounds do-able. I use such a gizmo on guns with weak FP's like the CZ52 for dry firing, so I see no reason why such a "block" wouldn't work as a safety. I make my own holsters, so I guess it wouldn't be too difficult to arrange something to act as a safety.

Paati: I and some friends have had several CZ52's. All of the guns we owned had very hard triggers, and the mechanism is a bit tricky to work on, though the pistols are accurate, just as you say. My current Tok is a Polish model that is very well made and has proved to be as accurate as the CZ's we had. I had a Norinco Tok that placed its first shot about 6 inches high at 15 meters {slide lockup issues}, then clustered the rest in a nice tight group below it. I got rid of it.

Also, over on the gunboards forum there was a poll of CZ users experiencing cracked slides. Slides seemed to let go at at about the 4,000 round count, and when they did they cracked at the roller lock recess on the slide which is the thinnest portion of the slide. I suspect some of these guns were shot extensively with certain lots of very high pressure Bulgarian subgun ammo that came into the USA some time ago, but I can't be sure. Some suggested that due to the radial locking lugs, the Tok might in actuality be stronger. I am not too sure about that. I used to shoot a lot of Sellier & Bellot FMJ from my CZ, but at 1550 fps it is a petty hot load and I use such sparingly in the Tok. Mostly I shoot Wolf "Gold" {actually, loaded by Prvi Partizan in Serbia I believe} 85 grain Hollow Point from my Tok.

What load do you shoot normally? Do you handload for it?

Both the CZ52 and the tokarev are very flat and easy carrying pistols. I carried my CZ many miles on my skis in the winter time, but now the Tokarev has taken its place. I like those pistols, but I'd like to see a modern, flat, steel-framed version. I doubt I ever will...

--------------------

9.3x57
.450 member

#92420 - 22/12/07 04:28 PM

By the way, 450, another excellent round that is quite similar to the .38 Super is the .357 SIG. It provides some velocity increase over the regular 9x19, recoil is very light in my SIG 226 and it is maybe the most accurate stock pistol I've ever owned. Also a bottleneck auto pistol round...I like them!

The SIG 226 is a large pistol, however, and I somehow leave it home more than take it with me anymore. For our area it is a great backcountry companion for ski jaunts though. For that matter, so would a hotloaded .38 Super.

--------------------

9.3x57
.450 member

#92510 - 24/12/07 03:14 AM

Yesterday's jaunt reminds me of why I like the Tok. Light and handy, a fine trail companion!

Revolver fans would probably like one of those .327's with a 3 or 4 inch barrel and adjustable sights for similar activities.

--------------------

NE450No2
.375 member

#92565 - 24/12/07 09:23 PM

Nice photos.

What is the oal of a Tok round.

45 ACP ball is 1.269 [longest of several measured].

A friend of mine carries a adj sighted S&W Mod 60 in 357 Mag when he wants to travel light.

Me, I am a 4" 44 Mag kind of guy for a field gun.

In non bear areas I will carry a Light Weight Commander if I want to "go light".

9.3x57
.450 member

#92569 - 25/12/07 12:46 AM

Quote:

Nice photos.

What is the oal of a Tok round.

45 ACP ball is 1.269 [longest of several measured].

A friend of mine carries a adj sighted S&W Mod 60 in 357 Mag when he wants to travel light.

Me, I am a 4" 44 Mag kind of guy for a field gun.

In non bear areas I will carry a Light Weight Commander if I want to "go light".

450:

OAL is:

7.62x25 Wolf 85 grain HP = 1.347
Wolf 85 grain FMJ = 1.368

.357 SIG S&B 140 grain FMJ = 1.134
Win WB 125 grain HP = 1.129

As you can see, the 7.62x25 is a very long auto pistol round. There ARE legitimate reasons for the refusal by various companies to build a gun around it, as it would require a new frame than most that are out there. Have said that, I am betting a Glock high capacity 7.2x25 built around the 10 mm auto frame with a lightened slide would be just the pickles for me. Magazine capacity might be 20?

The poorly designed but wonderfully accurate and performing {strange combination, I know} .357 SIG was designed around an OAL to accomodate pistols built around the .40 S&W OAL, and that one was built around the ability to beef up existing 9x19 frame/slides. I very much like the .357 SIG, but the miniscule neck has been noted to have caused some problems. A little more length there would be nice.

I have carried many different revolvers and many different auto pistols in the field and for my purposes and for personal reasons I just do not like carrying a revolver, my .44 Magnum, or the others I've owned. I do have reason occaisionally to use my .44, but only for specific purposes where the lighter auto rounds might not work. Heavy frame revolvers are just plain too bulky for me and particularly in winter, they fill up with snow and ice and generally are a mess to handle. I make 1/2, 3/4 and full flap holsters and can keep them reasonably clean, but even so, blowing snow and that from falls gets all inside the cylinder mouths and extra care must be taken to make sure the gun is clear. My autos are much easier to get clean inside. And the Tok and CZ52 are incredibly light and FLAT pistols, and make for a very trouble-free carrying package.

We have bear here, mostly black, a few grizzly to the east and southeast, plus wolves and lion but of course, no bear of any sort this time of year. And in many of the areas where I am skiing right now, there is no game or wildlife of any sort, as they have all moved down to the low country. Maybe a few hares, the odd moose, but not much else. It is later in the season, with the first melts, that game moves back into my ski areas and the wolves follow in force.

Regardless, they don't scare me much. For winter jaunts, I do, however, want a pistol package that has some capacity, or spare magazines that are reasonably closed up and self-contained, as if I get hurt and stuck, the wife wants me to start signalling 2 hours after dark on a day I "should be home for supper". I have some milsurp 7.62x51 NATO tracer bullets a friend loaded for me for the Tok that can be fired singleshot, too, and give a decent trace for several hundred yards. All purely personal stuff, as others disagree and like revolvers {like I used to}.

--------------------

NE450No2
.375 member

#92613 - 25/12/07 12:43 PM

Looks like you have a system that works for you.

I have carried the 44 for so long I do not even notice it is there.

I also get a lot of use out of the Speer shot shells. In 44 and 45 ACP.

Those 308 Tracer bullets sound like a good idea for sure.

9.3x57
.450 member

#92658 - 26/12/07 10:12 AM

Quote:

I have carried the 44 for so long I do not even notice it is there.

I ain't getting any younger and I notice, seems like every year I notice more and more...

Here in the mountains on my ski jaunts, I shave off every ounce of weight I can, and I have to admit I betcha after a steep climb of a few miles I could tell you whether I have 7 or 8 rounds of ammo in the clip without looking and sometimes I feel like firing off a few rounds just to lighten the load!!

Seriously, now, for those that aren't familiar with them, tracers are VERY flammable and can cause fires in dry weather if still burning when they strike the ground.

450, do you load your own shotshells for the .44 & .45? I've used .22 and .38 shotloads but not the bigger loads that I can remember.

--------------------

NE450No2
.375 member

#92669 - 26/12/07 12:13 PM

I used to load my own for the 44, and 38, but since Speer started making them I just buy theirs.

The 45ACP Speers work as good as their 44,s.

I have used the 38 and 9mm ones as well, but the 44 and 45's seem more effective.

zimhunter
.333 member

Reged: 05/02/04
Loc: Southern Arizona
      #93305 - 03/01/08 11:57 AM

My memory really fails me sometimes but I remember having two auto pistols that I liked very much one chambered for the 30 Luger or 30 Mauser and one chambered for the 32H&R. They were both Benelli's and I do remember they were without fault on accuracy and I liked them Very,Very much especially the 30. Must have been a 30 Mauser as I couldn't afford ammo for it. Had some weird features but one of the best feeling and pointing pistols I ever had. Don't remember much about the 32 except it was precision pesonified. Shot far,far better than I could.

zimhunter
.333 member

#93306 - 03/01/08 12:02 PM

Heed the warning on the box of 45acp Shot and do not use in a revolver. I did in my scandium/titanium S&W and was days cleaning it after 2 shots. Could not make the third shot it was locked (glued rather)so tight. I now load my own using plastic shot cups as normal.

9.3x57
.450 member

Re: .327 Federal Magnum--Ruger Pistol [Re: zimhunter]
      #93311 - 03/01/08 12:46 PM

Zimmy:

Not to speak for you, but I'm thinking the Benelli was a .30 Luger, one of the models B76, B77 or B80?

They produced a fairly nice pistol in 9mm and .30 Luger and some were sold in .30 here. Evidently had some hammer-breakage problems early on. Had a sort-of Luger-like grip angle. There are a few of them floating around these parts for some reason.

The .30 Luger was popular in Italy due to the restrictions on 9mm pistol sales. IIRC, many .30 Luger Browning HP's were sold there also. .30 Mauser is essentially the same case as the .30 Tok/7.62x25 and too long for the Benelli grip frame.

The .32 S&W was indeed loaded in several autos for target use. It is a low powered load producing velocities far below that produced by the .30 Luger and even less so the .30 Mauser/7.62x25 which are very fast indeed.

--------------------

zimhunter
.333 member

#93327 - 03/01/08 03:22 PM

I'm sure it was a 30Luger also. It had a selective double/single action, but the other gun was a 32 S&W long wadcutter, probably, not the 32 H&R Magnum. It was a target gun and super accurate. I liked both guns very much but never could get another barrel to convert the 30 Luger to 9mm and the 30 Luger was hard to get. Don't know what It was I had in 30 Mauser but definitely had one and it was even harder to get ammo for and I got tired of chasing ejected cases to reload. Some guy in Tucson reloaded for it. I really thought it was also a Benelli. I know I had one in Gunsmith school but it was a Bolo Mauser, but that was many many years ago. There are not many handguns I HAVEN'T owned as up till I started wearing bifocals I hunted with them . Never could convert to scoped handguns. Might could make it with one of the red-dots but have never tried one.

Rolf
.333 member

Reged: 26/02/07
Loc: Germany, Bavaria
Re: .327 Federal Magnum--Ruger Pistol [Re: zimhunter]
      #103598 - 26/04/08 08:23 PM

30 Luger

a family member has a SIG P210 in 9 Para (9mm Luger).
Just out of couriosity I bought years ago a drop-in-barrel from SIG in 7,65 Para (= 30 Luger).
The gun was (and is still...) precise and functiones flawlessly, even with the spring for the 9 Para barrel!
Velocity is of course lower than the 7,63 Mauser (7,62 Tokarev), but sufficient for hollow point bullets.
If you have a gunsmith who can manufacture a 30 Luger barrel with the outer dimensions of the standard barrel for the basic SIG Sauer gun types (P228, P 229, P 239), that should be a workable (and expensive, I admit) solution for a carry gun (both cartridges function in the grip size of 9 Para).
In the first time of production of the SIG Sauer P 220 (Standard caliber = .45 ACP) there were additional barrels offered by SIG Sauer in .38 Super, 9 Para and 7,65 Para.

Rolf

PS: My father bought two months ago a SIG Sauer P 220 in 45 ACP through the SIG Sauer custom shop in an all-steel version. That is an incredible gun! Functions 100% and shoots very good, even with me as shooter... I can only recommend the guns of this company!

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 22 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 5470

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com