Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Why I carry a Handgun--

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Handguns

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: Why I carry a Handgun-- [Re: Rick_R]
      #104913 - 13/05/08 02:32 AM

I really appreciate your info---especially considering your background...and agree totally, not too often while I am traveling, walking, whatever that I don't have a handgun or long gun handy...no reason not too

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
williepete
.224 member

Reged: 07/05/08
Loc: MS
Re: Why I carry a Handgun-- [Re: Ripp]
      #105024 - 14/05/08 10:48 AM

my true story--

about 12 years ago i was working for the DOT. i was in engineering school and on a coop job semester. i was out on a job site all by myself inspecting drain pipe placement. some guy in a dually pulling a large horse trailer pulls over. walks way down the road, crossing it to my side, past me and to the woods for a pit stop. after he finishes, he walks up to the road and, with pistol in his sob now visible, begins to strangely look up and down the road, satisfied with what he didn't see, he pulls his gun and turns toward me. i, in the mean time have done the second best thing i could do (1st: run) by putting my state truck between him and me. no sooner than he has moved toward me than a car pops up over the hill. he very quickly hides the gun, gets in his truck, and takes off. i was so shaken by the event that i never thought to call anyone-including the highway patrol-and didnt talk about it until much later that day.

i realize there have been closer calls, but that was enough for me; i never forgot it. i now have a colt commander full of black talons that goes just about every where i do.....

hoppdoc
.400 member

Reged: 02/03/06
Loc: Southeastern USA
Re: Why I carry a Handgun-- [Re: williepete]
      #105075 - 14/05/08 10:14 PM

Makes no sense unless he had stolen the rig he was driving and wanted a different vehicle!!! I assume you were in your private vehicle.Alternatively he may have wanted to rob you. Worst case, he wanted to rob you and dispose of you as a witness.We are in scary times these days---

You are very lucky and fortunate the other car popped over the hill into view.Things coulda gone bad indeed--

The more tales I hear the more I realize the need to all and their loved ones to carry SOMETHING for self defense, day or night.We are rolling into a bigtime recession with signifigant inflation(watch the gas prices and everything related to petrol manufacturing go up and up). Watch--Those who consider themselves have nots will FORCEFULLY TAKE what they want from others.Not to alarm but everyone had Best be Prepared!!

I feel using your wits and carrying a handgun is part of a reasonable response.

--------------------
An armed man is a citizen of his country, an unarmed man just a subject.

Ripp
.577 member

Re: Why I carry a Handgun-- [Re: hoppdoc]
      #105082 - 14/05/08 10:28 PM

Hoppdoc.

come on ..the cops will protect you...

Ripp

--------------------

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
      #105087 - 14/05/08 11:02 PM

Quote:

Makes no sense

Stop right there. That's all you need to say.

I worked in Camden, NJ near where I grew up, and have spent a fair amount of time in very bad inner city environments including Detroit, MI. "Makes no sense" describes life as-usual in some of those places, and trying to figure out the why's and wherefore's is a waste of time.

As you have said, best to be prepared for anything.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

hoppdoc
.400 member

Re: Why I carry a Handgun-- [Re: 9.3x57]
      #105139 - 15/05/08 11:27 AM

The wife tried the little Ruger LCP today--

No Dice!!!

Why??

She didn't like the recoil in her hand(?WHAT RECOIL?)
and is going to stay with her 32 semiauto--
Betcha she wouldn't feel recoil if she were in the survival mode!!

Oh well-- I tried--

--------------------

9.3x57
.450 member

#105141 - 15/05/08 11:57 AM

Hoppdoc:

A few years ago we had some old layer hens to put down and I wandered around the ranch here plugging them with my then-Browning 1910/22 .32 ACP with RWS FMJ ammo.

It took and average of around 4 hits to knock down an old hen.

Use good HP ammo or sharpen the front of her gun and tell her to use it like a set of brass knuckles...

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

Ripp
.577 member

#105178 - 15/05/08 08:32 PM

Quote:

The wife tried the little Ruger LCP today--

No Dice!!!

Why??

She didn't like the recoil in her hand(?WHAT RECOIL?)
and is going to stay with her 32 semiauto--
Betcha she wouldn't feel recoil if she were in the survival mode!!

Oh well-- I tried--

It is amazing how different people handle recoil..a friend of mine recently bought a Sig in 9mm for his wife who probably weighs 90lbs..--I thought there is no way she will handle that even though it is only a 9mm...she did not only handle it but did so with very good accurracy...and is now shooting that on a regular basis...

I guess my point is maybe as your wife is used to the 32 --after a few more practice sessions she might not find the .380 difficult...just an idea...

Ripp

--------------------

hoppdoc
.400 member

Re: Why I carry a Handgun-- [Re: Ripp]
      #105997 - 24/05/08 07:34 PM

Took the wife out and she worked with a Glock 9mm, a 32 Berreta, and a 38 Special bellygun and did fine but she still didn't like the little Ruger!! I looked and the little 32 Berreta has a fatter backstrap for dispersing recoil. She still doesn't want a LCP!

Been carrying the Ruger more lately when only slacks and a shirt are appropriate/possible.Its better than nothing when having to bank and sign papers where a robbery had occurred several weeks earlier!! Carrying a big semi underneath a light slicker would definitely seem out of place with our current weather!! Unfortunately you can't choose the gun first, you must choose the clothes and THEN choose the gun possible!

Just gotta remember only penetration working for you with a mousegun so theoretically you have to go midline and CNS and choose your shots quickly.God forbid that such a handgun would ever be needed but the boyscout inside screams be prepared!!

--------------------

nhdblfan
.300 member

Reged: 31/08/07
Loc: NH
      #106003 - 24/05/08 11:56 PM

I found this on another board and found it made me change my "maybe I will leave it home today" attitude.

""Amateurs talk hardware. Professionals talk software. It doesn't matter what's in your hand or between your legs. It matters what's in your heart and in your head." - Lt. Col. Dave Grossman "

http://killology.com/art_buckeye.htm

hoppdoc
.400 member

Re: Why I carry a Handgun-- [Re: nhdblfan]
      #106047 - 25/05/08 11:30 PM

""Amateurs talk hardware. Professionals talk software. It doesn't matter what's in your hand or between your legs. It matters what's in your heart and in your head." - Lt. Col. Dave Grossman "

I agree.

I think most of us here do not consider ourselves professionals with handguns except for the firearm instructors and law enforcement who have so kindly contributed their thoughts.

I feel the most important thing is to HAVE A GUN and shoot it regularly.No situation will be the same.Betcha most people with carry permits do not carry.

The next is the attitude to ACT if the situation warrants.Hopefully those who carry possess that as well as reasonable judgement in a crisis situation.

--------------------

Rick_R
.300 member

Reged: 03/07/03
Loc: WV, USA
      #106164 - 27/05/08 11:25 AM

Quote:

Unfortunately you can't choose the gun first, you must choose the clothes and THEN choose the gun possible!

Gotta disagree, You pick a decent carry gun and then dress accordingly.

Shirts a size too large, safari vest (this is the Nitro Express forum ), camp shirts, the inside the waistband holster that attaches to a pager, some of the various bags and packs.

I sometimes wear a dress shirt with my pistol carried cross draw and buttoned up under the shirt, pretty common practice in Texas where I started in law enforcement. Takes a while to get used to but is very concealed even with my full sized 1911. One of my co workers accused me of carrying a Browning Hipower in my underwear.

The smaller guns are great backup guns, but it may be your wife and kids you need to save. Life insurance begins at 9mm/.357 caliber, IMHO.

Rick

Edited by Rick_R (27/05/08 11:31 AM)

hoppdoc
.400 member

Re: Why I carry a Handgun-- [Re: Rick_R]
      #106178 - 27/05/08 06:16 PM

For me the toughest way to carry a gun-is not necesarily light shorts cause you can carry a 357 belly gun on your belt even wearing a tee shirt untucked. Lighter guns do help when dressed for physical activity.The big stuff hurts and rubs your ankles with ankle carry and pulls your pants down!!

When you are a professional and must wear a dress shirt/golf shirt tucked in and slacks everyday without a coat it is VERY HARD to carry serious hardware without obvious bulges and eyecatching changes in your clothes contour. Can't carry IWB even under a shirt cause the world will know!! Sort of dangling a revolver on a lanyard I have found no decent way to carry a serious caliber daily during work.Can only have one close at hand.The mouseguns do have a role when dressed in this fashion.The heavy stuff goes on when outside the office with the mousegun as b/u.

--------------------

Edited by hoppdoc (27/05/08 08:25 PM)

9.3x57
.450 member

#106211 - 28/05/08 09:45 AM

Hoppdoc, I hear the lab coat is coming back for Doc's. Maybe Concealed Carry is the reason!

--------------------

nhdblfan
.300 member

Reged: 31/08/07
Loc: NH
Re: Why I carry a Handgun-- [Re: 9.3x57]
      #106672 - 04/06/08 08:54 PM

Here are two other suggestions then the conventional holster.

Perhaps with a camera logo patch for camo?
http://www.blackhawk.com/product1.asp?P=40BP&C=C2313

or thease two but a jacket,loose shirt would be required;

http://www.clipdraw.com/

http://www.baramihipgrip.com/

I might give that clip draw a try with my Mod 36 summer gun,I also use a PP both with clip on holsters and no tucked in shirt or jacket.

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Why I carry a Handgun-- [Re: nhdblfan]
      #106701 - 05/06/08 12:38 AM

Why I wish I could carry a my .44 legally.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

rigbymauser
.400 member

Reged: 15/05/05
Loc: Denmark
Re: Why I carry a Handgun-- [Re: DarylS]
      #106721 - 05/06/08 02:31 AM

I only have one handgun (revolver)...a Colt New Frontier in .44 special. maybe one day overhere it will be nessesary to "carry", but as so far things overhere are pretty peacefull.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 26 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 11436

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com