Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Which Colt?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Handguns

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
EDELWEISS
.375 member

Reged: 22/11/05
Loc: Gettysburg
Re: Which Colt? [Re: CptCurl]
      #353273 - 10/05/21 02:16 AM

No Im not happy that Colt became a CZ company; but Colt has been in the check out lane for awhile (just like Remington and you see where that ended). CZ pretty much saved Dan Wesson and made it better.

Before CZ, the Colt re-introductions of the Python et'al were poor copies at best. They may be branded "Colt Python" but they clearly arent old school Pythons. Maybe CZ can do it better. It would certainly be hard to do it worse.

Today for a SAA to do more than hang on the wall, Id choose an Uberti or Pieta (and a Ruger if I wanted HEAVY loads), over a Colt. Yeah Colts are Colts they look pretty but they arent what they used to be.

--------------------
If it's not custom, it's just borrowed

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Which Colt? [Re: EDELWEISS]
      #353276 - 10/05/21 02:51 AM

The old grey mare comes to mind.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Huvius
.416 member

Reged: 04/11/07
Loc: Colorado
Re: Which Colt? *DELETED* [Re: CptCurl]
      #353286 - 10/05/21 06:10 AM

Post deleted by Huvius

--------------------
He who lives in the past is doomed to enjoy it.

vykkagur
.300 member

Reged: 28/11/19
Loc: Canada
Re: Which Colt? [Re: Huvius]
      #353292 - 10/05/21 11:55 AM

Where to start?

First, as far as CZ buying Colt: As a long-time admirer of Czech weapons, I'm actually relieved. "Shareholders" are only concerned with money, and have no compunction about selling off their history to foreigners. If ownership must go overseas, then there can't be anyone better than the Czechs with their long history of fine gunmaking. At least it didn't go to the usual lot (don't get me started on Indian Land Rovers and Chinese Volvos....)

Second, .45 ACP vs 9mm: the old Ford/Chevy thing all over. Split the difference - 10mm Auto. If you want more weight than the 9mm, or more velocity and capacity than the .45, there you go, and more power than either of them. AND it's available in a Colt auto.

That brings me to my third point: If you must use a 9mm, dictated by policy, or law (sorry Aussies), or personal preference, why the hell would you chose the 1911??? It's the worst of both worlds. You have all the disadvantages of the bulky, low-capacity old platform, but still firing the little round. Lose/lose. If I were mandated to use the 9, I wouldn't chose the fine old 1911, nor would I go to a plastic flexi-gun, with their clunky square slides. (What is it with square slides, anyway? I hate the lack of "pointability" of them. They compel you to use the sights for everything beyond pointblank. Every time I hold one, I feel I should be scanning barcodes in a supermarket.)

No, compelled to go 9mm, I would avail myself of the 1911 Improved, alias the Browning Hi-Power. 13+1 rounds (more if you know where to look), slimline contoured slide with beautiful pointability, and rock-solid John M. Browning logic. And my choice is only partly influenced by the fact that the best action shot with a sidearm I ever managed was with the Browning, even though 9mm wouldn't be my first choice. But then, this thread is about Colts.

In answer to your question John, FN only ceased production of the Hi-Power two years ago.

vykkagur
.300 member

Re: Which Colt? [Re: DarylS]
      #353293 - 10/05/21 12:02 PM

Quote:

Most personal applications I have read/heard, are 3rnds or less - usually less.

I'm sure it's all changed now, but at one time, combat handgunning used to preach the 3-3-3 rule: Almost all engagements took place within 3 yards, in 3 seconds or less, with no more than 3 shots. It was often cited as the reason police departments clung to the revolver for so long.

FlatTop45
.300 member

Reged: 31/05/16
Loc: South Texas, U.S.A.
Re: Which Colt? [Re: vykkagur]
      #353313 - 11/05/21 07:18 AM

Quote:

(What is it with square slides, anyway? I hate the lack of "pointability" of them. They compel you to use the sights for everything beyond pointblank. Every time I hold one, I feel I should be scanning barcodes in a supermarket.)

Fucking Brilliant!!!

J

Edited by FlatTop45 (11/05/21 07:21 AM)

vykkagur
.300 member

Re: Which Colt? [Re: FlatTop45]
      #353339 - 12/05/21 07:13 AM

Quote:

Quote:

(What is it with square slides, anyway? I hate the lack of "pointability" of them. They compel you to use the sights for everything beyond pointblank. Every time I hold one, I feel I should be scanning barcodes in a supermarket.)

Fucking Brilliant!!!

J

We aim to please!

Valley Forge?

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: Which Colt? [Re: EDELWEISS]
      #353365 - 13/05/21 02:30 AM

Quote:

No Im not happy that Colt became a CZ company; but Colt has been in the check out lane for awhile (just like Remington and you see where that ended).

/quote]
---
---

FYI..The Fat Lady is still singing..

REMINGTON GUN PLANT IN NEW YORK REOPENS
Associated Press
May 12, 2021
Updated: May 12, 2021 10:27 a.m.

-
https://www.nhregister.com/news/article/Remington-gun-plant-in-upstate-New-York-reopens-16170949.php

Edited by Ripp (13/05/21 04:08 AM)

Ripp
.577 member

Re: Which Colt? [Re: NitroX]
      #353368 - 13/05/21 04:35 AM

Quote:

Quote:

really like my Gold Cup..its an older model I bought new in the late 1980's..

Have quit a few 1911 Kimbers.. but still prefer the Colts ...

Interesting, so Kimbers aren't worth considering?

Found this article per your question..

https://www.pewpewtactical.com/kimber-warrior-review/

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Ripp
.577 member

Re: Which Colt? [Re: NitroX]
      #353546 - 19/05/21 12:06 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Info for John on some offers from Colt
saw an article this morning they are coming out with a new group of 1911's chambered in .454acp..
https://www.colt.com/category/pistols

Which Colt would you choose and why?

I was interested in an STI Trojan, a basic 1911 style handgun in 9 mm.

Maybe a Colt would be a solution?

Aussies, are they imported into Australia?

Per my PM I sent you earlier, had the opportunity to shoot a variety of Colt 1911's this past weekend.. My father-in-law has a serious collection of them.. over 2 dozen 1911's in various configurations.. some never fired..many that are..

He came by the ranch for the weekend and brought along 4 of them along with other firearms..Sunday morning we went down to my pistol range to try a few out..Loaded the first one in 9mm.. was a ton of fun to shoot. Very accurate, no malfunctions.. and quicker, at least for me, on follow up shots.. then loaded up another he had chambered in 10mm.. It was very interesting watching the metal targets movement when hit with the 10mm.. The targets were moving all the way to the back of their travel pattern and hitting the stop.. This one proved to be very accurate as well with zero malfuntions... I had brought along my Glock model 20 chambered in 10mm as well as a Glock model 19.. While they also functioned without the hitch, I MUCH prefer the fit and feel of the 1911's. I have said before and will say again, IMHO, there is not pistol I have felt that feels as good in the hand as a 1911.. which is probably why 100+ years later, its still so popular..

I do feel having a 1911 in 9mm is a good training handgun choice.. cheaper to practice with, less recoil for those less experienced and allows for long training sessions...

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Which Colt? [Re: Ripp]
      #353547 - 19/05/21 01:41 AM

1911's always felt good to me for rapid fire - no need for sights at 25 yards or so, at least on the "metal" man.

I am reminded of a shoot many years ago, an IPSC match, through the bush on a trail. Had to take the targets as you found them, could only take one step back - standard IPSC target of 1976.
Jay Right, an RCMP "competition" PPC shooter chose to use his wife's 1911 .45, Bomor sighted 1911 - standard WW hardball load.
He won the match. One of the match coordinators noted, "don't know how you major'd all of the targets - I adjusted your rear sight a good 10 clicks left windage. Jay just smiled and said "who uses the sights?"

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 17 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 6317

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com