Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Movie Guns--you know you want

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Handguns

Pages: 1
EDELWEISS
.375 member

Reged: 22/11/05
Loc: Gettysburg
Movie Guns--you know you want
      #352134 - 08/04/21 09:58 AM

Over the last couple years Ive moved from wanting all the cool (Tacti-cool) beltfed flame throwing grenade launchers to 18th and 19th century guns. While some guys wanna dress up in camouflage to go hunting, I want a Zulu War tunic and pith helmet, then relax in Boer War Khaki...

The Covid stay at home seige, had me watching too much TV. Last week I binged watched the Expendables movies. Six plus hours of modern rapid fire, and all I kept waiting for was Sylvester Stallone's 1873 Colt with the fanning hammer, 3.5" barrel with no front sight and "muzzle break". Its a total fantasy gun (not even "legal" for real Fast Draw competition) BUT it meets the so crazy its cool requirements. I still havent figured how to post pics, so youll have to Google Expendables Revolver to see what Im talking about.

Pre-Armageddon they were available but since then they are now made with "Unobtanium". The factory guns were Italian Colt clones, so I started with the 5.5 inch Pieta that I bought "just to have" and talked our gunsmith into another box of crazy. His job is to shorten the barrel to 3 1/2 inches and shorten the ejector rod as well, then add three cuts on the top of the barrel for the muzzle break.

Stallone's gun had a fancy raised hammer with a roller for fanning. I had planned to do that as well, then I read about how much wear fanning actually does to the gun and the custom work thats done to compensate for the extra stress. So Ive decided to keep the fanning to a minimum. OK there will be some testing but lots of isnt this is "cool". Stallone carried to 1911s at 9 and 3 O'clock and the Fanning gun in the small of his back (butt up with a thumb snap). There are some holster makers doing similar rigs. Ive got a Sheriff's model (3" no ejector) that I carry sorta SOB (but with a more downward angle) so I know its not uncomfortable.

Stallone says "Its faster than light" and of course never misses--I'll let you know.

Whats you favorite Movie Gun?

--------------------
If it's not custom, it's just borrowed

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Movie Guns--you know you want [Re: EDELWEISS]
      #352138 - 08/04/21 11:38 AM

Fanning is very hard on the bolt (cylinder locking peg), the Hand, the cylinder notches and the cylinder's indexing plate/star.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

EDELWEISS
.375 member

Re: Movie Guns--you know you want [Re: DarylS]
      #352140 - 08/04/21 12:12 PM

Quote:

Fanning is very hard on the bolt (cylinder locking peg), the Hand, the cylinder notches and the cylinder's indexing plate/star.

Yep everyone says dont do it. Maybe thats why its so cool. I dont plan to do (much) anyway. I just think the gun is cool, with or without the fanning hammer.

Whats your favorite Hollywood gun? Im watching Mad Max now, that shotgun is kinda cool too.

--------------------

vykkagur
.300 member

Reged: 28/11/19
Loc: Canada
      #352155 - 08/04/21 06:06 PM

Quote:

Whats your favorite Hollywood gun? Im watching Mad Max now, that shotgun is kinda cool too.

So many, where to start, where to start....

Webley hinge-frame with a 4-inch barrel (any historically accurate movie about soldiering for the Empire) or a Bulldog or any short-barreled, big bore in general ("Have you got your revolver, Watson?") Going from the classic end of the spectrum all the way over to the fantasy end, Edward Fox's takedown skeleton rifle from "Day of the Jackal", but in a man's cartridge, not a silly .22 Magnum.

I guess the Webley doesn't qualify, since I said historically accurate, while you specified Hollywood. The two are mutually exclusive.

EDELWEISS
.375 member

Re: Movie Guns--you know you want [Re: vykkagur]
      #352164 - 09/04/21 12:24 AM

When I said Hollywood--I meant movie.

Ive been scheming about the the Edward Fox Jackal rifle on and off for a few years. For meeeee Id want it in 22 mag; but thats just meeeeeee. Ive seen some good and bad attempts, never what Id want. The best "looking" one was based on a Cricket, so 22lr only. Finding a 22mag as a donner is the first mountain to climb.

--------------------

lancaster
.470 member

Reged: 06/05/08
Loc: There's a lighthouse in the mi...
      #352204 - 09/04/21 02:24 PM

you mean this one? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90ZyH8yBTck

--------------------
Norwegian hunter misses moose, shoots man on toilet
bringing civilisation to the barbarians

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Movie Guns--you know you want [Re: lancaster]
      #352210 - 09/04/21 04:12 PM

Quote:

Quote:

leghunter
2 months ago
The special lightweight rifle that The Jackal concealed in a crutch was a genuine working model. Two of them were made for this movie. One was handed over to the British authorities, and the other now resides in the Paris Cinematheque.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
Re: Movie Guns--you know you want [Re: NitroX]
      #352216 - 09/04/21 05:44 PM

Since this is in the handguns forum I'll stick to sidearms and say that my favorites are the pair of 6-inch barreled 1902 .38 Colts wielded by Billy Zane in his rendition of "The Phantom".

Used to be an avid reader of "the Ghost Who Walks" comics when I was a kid. Always thought I'd own a pair of those early Colt automatics but good ones are pricey and I always seem to have other priorities when nice examples come up for sale (like now!)

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

vykkagur
.300 member

#352242 - 10/04/21 08:56 PM

Quote:

Ha! Great minds think alike. I have that very same clip saved, along with a good file of photos, including screenshots from the clip. I could never quite identify exactly which rifle they used as a donor.

vykkagur
.300 member

#352244 - 10/04/21 09:21 PM

Quote:

When I said Hollywood--I meant movie.

Ive been scheming about the the Edward Fox Jackal rifle on and off for a few years. For meeeee Id want it in 22 mag; but thats just meeeeeee. Ive seen some good and bad attempts, never what Id want. The best "looking" one was based on a Cricket, so 22lr only. Finding a 22mag as a donner is the first mountain to climb.

I meant movies, definitely, and Hollywood's dismal record for butchering history in the name of making "a good story".

I don't hate the .22 Magnum. As a kid, I shot a family friends' Martini bull-barrel in .22 Mag, and made some of the most incredible shots of my young life. However, as a silent sniper round, it's useless. To be effectively suppressed, it must be subsonic. There's a name for a subsonic .22 Mag: it's called the .22 Long. Or .22 LR subsonic. The only advantage of the Magnum is it's higher speed, which renders it non-silent. Same bullet, just longer case and more powder, more speed, more noise.

The man's round to which I refer is the .22 Hornet. Centerfire, so it can be easily reloaded to perform well at lower velocities. Loaded with shotgun powders, using heavy bullets and high twist rates, it's tailor-made for the job. I've seen a test comparing penetration of a .22 LR subsonic with a Hornet handload using a heavy bullet, and the penetration in timber by a round that fired with a "click" was about 4 times that of the Long Rifle. Just what you would have needed for penetrating a hard-head like DeGaulle.

And as Marrakai pointed out, this is a handgun forum, and I've gone off on a blatant tangent. My apologies!

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #352251 - 10/04/21 11:24 PM

Seeing it is a handgun forum, I would like a howdah .577 with breech loader brass case chambers. No idea what movie one was in? But someone somwhere probably knows a movie featuring one.

Secondly a Webley in .455, as in my "Handguns of the Empire" thread. Dozens and dozens of films and TV shows featuring them.

Handgun of the Empire

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Edited by NitroX (10/04/21 11:31 PM)

vykkagur
.300 member

Re: Movie Guns--you know you want [Re: NitroX]
      #352256 - 11/04/21 01:14 AM

Quote:

Seeing it is a handgun forum, I would like a howdah .577 with breech loader brass case chambers. No idea what movie one was in? But someone somwhere probably knows a movie featuring one.

Secondly a Webley in .455, as in my "Handguns of the Empire" thread. Dozens and dozens of films and TV shows featuring them.

That's more like it! A Webley full of "Manstoppers" and a set of Prideaux loaders and you can take on all comers.

My second choice for favourite film handgun would be the Broomhandle Mauser, as in "Young Winston" or (all right, don't laugh too hard) "The Second Best Secret Agent in the Whole Wide World". Lots of screen time in that one (check Youtube).

lancaster
.470 member

Reged: 06/05/08
Loc: There's a lighthouse in the mi...
      #352266 - 11/04/21 05:00 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Ha! Great minds think alike. I have that very same clip saved, along with a good file of photos, including screenshots from the clip. I could never quite identify exactly which rifle they used as a donor.

if you want to know the difference between europe and america- thats what tinseltown made of this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyXdB_AYiDs

--------------------
Norwegian hunter misses moose, shoots man on toilet
bringing civilisation to the barbarians

EDELWEISS
.375 member

#352269 - 11/04/21 06:41 AM

Well theres suppressed and suppressed. YES 22 magnum wont be quiet like a quiet 22LR; but as I recall from the movie I think it will quiet "enough" for the mission given where it was fired. The suppressor (or at least a good suppressor) will silence the blast but not the sonic crack, so some along its path will hear "something?"; but will they know what it was and will they really "hear it" with all the background noise.

Given the mission Id want a bigger/better cartridge too BUT what size package would it need and would it still fit into a convincible crutch? IDK

--------------------

vykkagur
.300 member

#352276 - 11/04/21 10:13 AM

Quote:

if you want to know the difference between europe and america- thats what tinseltown made of this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyXdB_AYiDs

EXACTLY! They took a taught, procedural thriller and turned it into an "action movie" for teenagers. Don't get me wrong; I think Bruce Willis is an excellent action/comedy star, and he played a terrific role in this frat-boy film, but why did they have to rip off a classic?? Come up with your own damned story for your crash-and-burn shoot-'em-up, don't sully Fred Zinnemann's cerebral masterpiece. At least they changed the title.

Zinnemann is more or less unknown to everyone but film buffs, despite making numerous classics in his quite short list of films, including High Noon and From Here To Eternity. His work is so compelling that, even though I've watched Day of the Jackal numerous times, I never noticed until someone pointed it out that there is NO MUSIC whatsoever, beyond the marching bands in the parade.

Handgun reference: The other weapons in the original all appear quite authentic, including the commander of the firing squad using a Model 1892 revolver, and not some prop department Colt Police Positive.

Checkman
.333 member

Reged: 15/03/08
Loc: Idaho
Re: Movie Guns--you know you want [Re: DarylS]
      #353250 - 09/05/21 03:19 PM

Not a movie gun, but a television gun. I would like the Colt MKIV/Series 70 Government Model, 9×19mm Parabellum, serial number 70L33101, (currently owned by the National Firearms Museum) that Tom Selleck carried throughout the run of "Magnum P.I." (1980 - 1988).

EDELWEISS
.375 member

Re: Movie Guns--you know you want [Re: Checkman]
      #353263 - 09/05/21 11:07 PM

Hahahaha, if we're doing TV handguns, then Id like the Man from U.N.C.L.E. P38 with all its gizmos and the I Spy version too. I actually prefer the I Spy version as a practical carry gun BUT who can resist the Napoleon Solo kit version

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 11 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2858

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com