Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Does your holster match ???

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Handguns

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
EDELWEISS
.375 member

Reged: 22/11/05
Loc: Gettysburg
Does your holster match ???
      #350396 - 16/02/21 05:12 AM

I occasionally open carry. Its rare and typically only in the gun shop. Its more of a fashion statement and yes, as a sales display for guns and gear. Now lemme be clear, Ive always been a shoes must match belt and clothes shoe coordinate kinda guy. Today as I look around, I think I must be the last of my breed. About the only place I do see a fashion sense, is in the courtroom amongst attorneys; but even there thats failing. It wasnt that long ago that I heard a judge ask a defense counsel if his suit was in the cleaners because he was wearing a sport coat instead of a suit.

Im the guy that matches his holster with his belt. It doesnt have to be an absolute match; but no brown holster on a black belt! Thats why I have similar brown and black holsters. Style matters!

--------------------
If it's not custom, it's just borrowed

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Does your holster match ??? [Re: EDELWEISS]
      #350397 - 16/02/21 05:20 AM

Black holster, brown belt, blue jeans - & only at the range.
LOL- my 4" M29 perfectly fits my Crossman cordura holster for some obscure BB gun, probably one of the semi-autos.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

tinker
.416 member

Reged: 12/03/05
Loc: Nevada
Re: Does your holster match ??? [Re: DarylS]
      #350404 - 16/02/21 05:39 AM

I have an old Wilson IWB holster in black color.
I don't worry about belt color with it.

For open carry, which happens here on the ranch and elsewhere, I tend to match leather finishes.

--------------------
--Self-Appointed Colonel, DRSS--

"It IS a dangerous game, and so named for a reason, and you can't play from the keyboard. " --Some Old Texan...

EDELWEISS
.375 member

Re: Does your holster match ??? [Re: tinker]
      #350410 - 16/02/21 10:01 AM

Hahaha. The guys at work make fun of me too; but I laugh back because they wear shorts... Ive tried to explain that men dont wear shorts outside of the desert or further than 10 miles from the beach, (the same is true for sandals). Theres a scene in one of the Titanic movies from the 50s. In it a boy asks his father if he can wear (long) trousers, since hes now 13 years old... Its just a gentleman thing for me.

They make all shades or leather and kydex, even cordura (gag); so its not too difficult to have your holster match your belt and shoes. If youre a hiking boots kinda guy, you can even find black and brown so the you have a choice of your belt colour. Then you only have to match your holster

Its not that hard

--------------------

3DogMike
.400 member

Reged: 29/01/15
Loc: Western Slope, Colorado USA
      #350413 - 16/02/21 02:57 PM

Wha?....YGBSM.
That's nice, but.......Here in the mountains of Western Colorado only East Coast/Left Coast/Aspen wannabe dudes worry about such things as "coordinated' outfits, and the fairies from Aspen would not go heeled anyway.
(IMO black leather holsters are for Cops, 1950's fast draw, and Hollywood, ....LGBT&Q diversity you know)

EDIT: That said; non horseback, the holster for my little Kimber is a black PLASTIC IWB and goes well with my black Wranglers and black El Paso Saddlery Ranger Belt, all coordinated with black Luchese ropers.

.....For a real life experience please drop in to "Shooters Grill" in Rifle, Colorado if you are out West.
The owner is Lauren Bobert, new member of US House.....great 2A kind of representative.
- Mike

BTW: no shorts....not now, not ever, not since I was 12

--------------------
"Here's to killing people you don't like with people you do"

"Will Rogers never met a fighter pilot"
- Anon

“Always carry a flask of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore always carry a small snake."
-- W. C. Fields

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Does your holster match ??? [Re: 3DogMike]
      #350415 - 16/02/21 04:25 PM

I am wearing safari style green shorts right now. Its mid 39;s deg C. And I am wearing a black leatherman knife pouch on a brown belt. No handgun holster unfortunately.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

EDELWEISS
.375 member

Re: Does your holster match ??? [Re: NitroX]
      #350428 - 16/02/21 11:34 PM

I started this with a bit of humor intended; that being said short of the homeless, dressing like a gentleman isnt that hard but dressing like a slob is just lazy-look at the walmart pics. Do you want to look like Walmart or Wall Street? Dont care, OK wear your "Lounge" pants and slippers to the store.

If you really think its THAT hard to dress like a gentleman look at the historical pics of hunters, many, most are wearing a tie, if not a tie then at least a scarf AND a proper hat. Check the pics of TR while hunting in the West and Afrika, even without a tie, hes dressed like a gentleman.

I remember my father wearing a fedora to cut the grass and work on the car. He might have been wearing "work" Pants but they were clean and pressed. He grew up through the depression and WW2 and he always said that you could tell a gentleman by how he was dressed AND that you could be dirt poor and still dress like a gentleman--it started by being clean and wearing clean clothes to start the day. I asked him what he thought about Gen Patton requiring the troops to wear ties. He said he wasnt a fan; but it did make the men look like soldiers.

As for shorts in the heat, well I leave you to determine how hot is hot enough; but Ive lived in temps regularly over 98F and temps in the 100s wasnt unheard of, and I never wore shorts (or sandals)

Wear what you like but dont be surprised how folks act because of it. A few years back, I was in my bank making a deposit. The outside temp was high 70s, a man came in the bank. He was wearing shorts a tee shirt and sandals. He asked to speak to someone about a home loan. The same day I was wearing slacks and a shirt with a tie. As soon as I heard him ask about the loan, I knew what my thoughts on the loan were. Maybe he was the next Howard Hughes? Maybe? but Id take that bet.

--------------------

Homer
.416 member

Reged: 07/04/09
Loc: Canberra, Australia
      #350434 - 17/02/21 07:01 AM

G'Day Fella's,

I agree Edelweiss, "The Times, They are a Changing".

It was the same down here in Australia.
Men used to dress in Wool suits, with a tie and hats, in stinking Hot, Summer conditions.
But these days, things are a lot more relaxed.

If it is Hot, I generally spend most of my time, in the "Funshop", dressed in a pair of shorts and thats it (No A/C!).
Customers of mine are used to seeing me, dressed this way and I make no appoligies for it.
If I'm working on a job where stuff is going every where, I will where an apron, but I'm usually bare chested.
But I only go as far as the front yard/lettebox, dressed like this, as I like to try and set a good example.

As for my handgun carry, colour co-ordination, I have always worn or made Brown holsters and belts.
These days, my main IPSC competition pistol, is a Steyr-Mannlicher, M9-A1, in 9x19mm.
Getting a shop bought holster for these, is difficult. So I machined up a dummy slide from a slab of Aluminium, of the same dimensions, and then use a heat gun, to reshape Glock Kydex holsters to match.
My belt these days, is usually a 1 1/2" - 38mm wide, of platted Kangaroo leather, that a mate/customer made for me.

D'oh!
Homer

--------------------
"Beware the Lolly Pop of Mediocrity,
Lick it Once and You Will Suck Forever"

Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
      #350449 - 17/02/21 10:14 AM

Quote:

I occasionally open carry. Its rare and typically only in the gun shop. Its more of a fashion statement and yes, as a sales display for guns and gear. Now lemme be clear, Ive always been a shoes must match belt and clothes shoe coordinate kinda guy. Today as I look around, I think I must be the last of my breed. About the only place I do see a fashion sense, is in the courtroom amongst attorneys; but even there thats failing. It wasnt that long ago that I heard a judge ask a defense counsel if his suit was in the cleaners because he was wearing a sport coat instead of a suit.

Im the guy that matches his holster with his belt. It doesnt have to be an absolute match; but no brown holster on a black belt! Thats why I have similar brown and black holsters. Style matters!

Fashion Sense, what the hell is that? As you may gather I was never gifted with this, unfortunately. I do, however try to get it right and dress clean and neatly. being from Australia where shorts are part of the excepted fashion, I do wear them and they are far more comfortable then long pants in the heat.

I don't wear sandals but do wear thongs-flip flops, to non Aussies- but generally around the house.

Holsters for my Glock is a black polymer job by Safariland when at the range.

3DogMike
.400 member

Reged: 29/01/15
Loc: Western Slope, Colorado USA
Re: Does your holster match ??? [Re: Rule303]
      #350452 - 17/02/21 11:49 AM

East Coast, Left Coast, Aspen USA gunslinger........Bwa Ha Ha Ha........oh yea, gotta be a Poof, so where's his "man bun" .....

--------------------
"Here's to killing people you don't like with people you do"

"Will Rogers never met a fighter pilot"
- Anon

“Always carry a flask of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore always carry a small snake."
-- W. C. Fields

DarylS
.700 member

#350455 - 17/02/21 01:15 PM

Yikes!

--------------------
Daryl

tinker
.416 member

Re: Does your holster match ??? [Re: DarylS]
      #350456 - 17/02/21 02:41 PM

I have no idea of what's happening in the photo seen above

--------------------

"It IS a dangerous game, and so named for a reason, and you can't play from the keyboard. " --Some Old Texan...

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#350458 - 17/02/21 05:13 PM

He does have a steely gaze ... probably looking at "outfits" in the Aspen designer clothing store window ...

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#350459 - 17/02/21 05:32 PM

Quote:

As for shorts in the heat, well I leave you to determine how hot is hot enough; but Ive lived in temps regularly over 98F and temps in the 100s wasnt unheard of, and I never wore shorts (or sandals)

98 F that's pretty cool.

Wore shorts to the indoor gun range yesterday and a polo shirt. That;s pretty fashionable. But not sandals, I have misplaced mine. So I wore my leather Rossi (like Blundstones for Aussie Eastern staters) work boots with socks. Now that is looking dorkish. What I wear normally in Summer, except on the farm a safari short sleeved shirt.

Edelweisee, you misunderstand the East African chic. It was VERY much dress down in the day and for the rich, dress up at night. Safari clothes, trousers, even shorts and shirts, dusty, dirty whatever, during the day. Black Tie and Ballgowns/dresses at night.

Thankfully I live in Australia where as Homer says, things are more relaxed. In business circles it was once suits and ties. I had a German lass come over from Germany to work at a local accounting firm. She said Australia was much more formal than Germany. This was a Chartered Firm, not a genera office environment so she was correct. Suits were expected at Chartered Accounting firms. When I was in London at a CA firm I was probably the best dressed in the 1800 staff, having six tailored suits, and tailored monogrammed business shirts. One or two partners were the same, earning some twenty times what I did. However my clothes were "Bee Chow" of Hong Kong, not Saville Row tailors.

When I worked for a winery, the standard was trousers and a business shirt. No tie required. But we aren't just office bound dorks, even though the CFO I often visited the winery, cellars, crushers etc. When visiting the bank, yes a suit was worn. When the bankers visited us at the winery, yes I worse a suit. And found out my boss had ordered them to dress casually! So my tie quickly came off, and a jumper instead of a suit jacket.

Bankers which decide purely on clothing are not bankers capable of doing a good job these days. I know multi millionaires who are very casual. Part of the times.

A smart person dresses appropriately for the venue and occasion. And doesn't need to play dress up.

Yes when I visit my club, the standard depends on the room! Trousers, never jeans, and a button shirt is expected these days. And suit and tie for some rooms, and black tie for many events. Polished shoes of course. I still will wear my "work" boots, my good, well polished pair. Even at the club, one week we were told short sleeves were allowed for a formal room, as it was so hot. But no shorts. At some club shoots there is a "dress up" competition for the person wearing the best tweeds. At a pheasant shoot I hope to attend oneday in Victoria, tweeds are expected. I will have to get some!

I prefer safari clothing anyday and everyday compared to stuffy shirts, ties and jackets.

Back to the holster stuff. IF I wore one, I would wear a brown holster with a brown belt.

However the most important question these days, is does your face mask match your clothing or make a fashion statement or not?

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#350460 - 17/02/21 05:33 PM

PS Does your sling colour match your belt colour? Very important. Ha ha.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#350472 - 17/02/21 10:50 PM

PPS Having a look at some colonial era African photos it reminded me. A reason I rarely wear shorts when hunting in Africa is all the horrible thorn bushes and trees. Long trousers do a better job protecting your legs from being torn up. And also when crawling around, one's knees. The trousers on a vigorous hunt might be holy by the end.

Another reason if is one is out in the hot sun all day, trousers and long sleeves protect one's skin from burning. If one has not been out in the sun enough in the months before. Long sleeves can be rolled up or down. One can have zip on and off trousers/shorts but I never or rarely use those for real hunting.

If tough enough one could hunt in the nude like John Taylor. :O

--------------------
John aka NitroX

EDELWEISS
.375 member

#350474 - 17/02/21 11:37 PM

I see Im surrounded by neanderthals hahahaha.

Let see, yes my sling does match; but thats more by happenstance than planning, or perhaps its just because my hunting gear is brown, IDK??? On the other hand, when I wear camouflage, I refused to mix patterns with pants and shirts and boots. I also dont shop in my hunting clothes or wear them on non hunting days.

Short and no shirt, IF you can get the ladies to join you in that (half) attire; I might have to visit. Whats next just a Speedo? Maybe add a potato for extra padding; but make sure its in the front not back???

I last visited London in 2016, during a heat wave, in a city largely without A/C. When I visited Holland & Holland, I felt sloppy for only wearing a dress shirt and slacks (no tie). EVERYONE in the shop was wearing a Day Suit, even the doorman was better dressed.

Fashion sense? Hmmmm dress like youre in Walmart I dont care or maybe I do, and others too. About 100 years ago on so it seems, one of my guys was working undercover and ended up in bad part of Baltimore City. He was dress casually for those times (jeans and a T shirt) when he requested assistance from the local PD they were slow to provide info. I showed up in a store bought suit and got a better response, then when our commander arrived in full Brooks Bros and they suddenly found what we needed. Later when I was back in uniform, you could tell what some officers had had for lunch for the last week by the stains on their tie while some officers looked like they had just left the supply room with a fresh issue. Which would you prefer handling the attack on your daughter>

Guys as Ive said before, this was meant to be whimsical.

--------------------

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#350475 - 18/02/21 12:05 AM

Quote:

Short and no shirt, IF you can get the ladies to join you in that (half) attire; I might have to visit.

One of my photos never before published from a hunting expedition ... btw what brand of rifle and dog breed is that?

PS I hope the carpet matches the curtains, otherwise how uncouth ...

--------------------
John aka NitroX

tinker
.416 member

#350477 - 18/02/21 01:18 AM

Looks like a drilling is on the menu...

--------------------

DarylS
.700 member

#350488 - 18/02/21 04:18 AM

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

--------------------
Daryl

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
      #350498 - 18/02/21 06:48 AM

Quote:

Wha?....YGBSM.
That's nice, but.......Here in the mountains of Western Colorado only East Coast/Left Coast/Aspen wannabe dudes worry about such things as "coordinated' outfits, and the fairies from Aspen would not go heeled anyway.
(IMO black leather holsters are for Cops, 1950's fast draw, and Hollywood, ....LGBT&Q diversity you know)

EDIT: That said; non horseback, the holster for my little Kimber is a black PLASTIC IWB and goes well with my black Wranglers and black El Paso Saddlery Ranger Belt, all coordinated with black Luchese ropers.

.....For a real life experience please drop in to "Shooters Grill" in Rifle, Colorado if you are out West.
The owner is Lauren Bobert, new member of US House.....great 2A kind of representative.
- Mike

BTW: no shorts....not now, not ever, not since I was 12

Mostly concealed carry, IWB... or winter, OWB, and frankly dont care what matches and doesn't as no one see's it..what matters to me is comfort.. otherwise most don't carry as its NOT comfortable..

Even on the ranch, mostly its a S&W in .357.. at 3 o'clock.. but under a loose shirt or vest of some sort.. along with a knife or two..

As to shorts.. NOT on the ranch.. but once spring hits, absolutely .. pretty much all I wear, everywhere.. even to church.. hate pants in the heat.. I can understand if you have chicken legs or some other ailment.. etc..

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Edited by Ripp (18/02/21 06:53 AM)

DarylS
.700 member

Re: Does your holster match ??? [Re: Ripp]
      #350501 - 18/02/21 08:15 AM

again = HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I wear shorts in the summer, if vacationing, like in Australia in the heat of their winter, or when in Hawaii. Around here, not so much - mosquitoes are bad, or the sun too fierce. I'm allergic to the sun, but less so it seems, ever year.

--------------------
Daryl

Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
      #350507 - 18/02/21 01:40 PM

Quote:

I see Im surrounded by neanderthals hahahaha.

Later when I was back in uniform, you could tell what some officers had had for lunch for the last week by the stains on their tie while some officers looked like they had just left the supply room with a fresh issue. Which would you prefer handling the attack on your daughter>

Guys as Ive said before, this was meant to be whimsical.

Those with food stains on their ties, buffoons the lot of them. All proper edumicated types know that when eating a right handed person flicks their tie over the left shoulder and a left handed person over their right shoulder. When meal is finished tie is lowered in to correct position to hide the food stains.

As for which I would rather have working a case. The sloth, as he is probably burnt out and lost interest but knows all the tricks,contacts etc. I would just give him a bit of incentive.

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
      #350557 - 19/02/21 09:28 AM

Quote:

Looks like a drilling is on the menu...

THAT is some funny shit right there...

With perhaps a bit of sushi as an appetizer??

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

DarylS
.700 member

Re: Does your holster match ??? [Re: Ripp]
      #350559 - 19/02/21 09:37 AM

You mean sashimi, RIPP!

--------------------
Daryl

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 35 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2481

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com