Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Fading away?? The 45 ACP isn't going anywhere....

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Handguns

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: Fading away?? The 45 ACP isn't going anywhere.... [Re: Rule303]
      #346003 - 21/10/20 04:01 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I was running a .45 this weekend.
Nothing wrong with it at all.

WE have a lot of handguns in our house.. as to semi-auto's..NOTHING feels as good in the hand as a 1911.. as least not to me...

The ones available today can be on the spendy side, but they are super reliable, accurate and just plain fun to shoot...

True. The 1911 and Browning Hi Power to my hand have the same grip angle. I like my Glock but wish it had the Colt/Browning grip angle. Points so much more natural for me.

They say technology has made the 9mm almost as effective as the 40 cal and 45ACP. Well the same technology applied to them would make them better again, I would think. After all the bigger the hole the quicker the nervous system is negatively effected and the quicker blood is lost. Remember we are talking slow velocity rounds here not something doing 2500fps+

Other than the Glock as to plastics, have you tried the H&K VP9?? I like the grip angle much better.. its still no where near the all time classic 1911.. but better than the Glock, IMHO

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: Fading away?? The 45 ACP isn't going anywhere.... [Re: Ripp]
      #346009 - 21/10/20 04:26 AM

From many years ago!!! Pair of grouse my old Franken1911...Essex frame/Ithaca slide, mostly GI surplus parts.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
      #346031 - 21/10/20 06:13 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

WE have a lot of handguns in our house.. as to semi-auto's..NOTHING feels as good in the hand as a 1911.. as least not to me...

The ones available today can be on the spendy side, but they are super reliable, accurate and just plain fun to shoot...

True. The 1911 and Browning Hi Power to my hand have the same grip angle. I like my Glock but wish it had the Colt/Browning grip angle. Points so much more natural for me.

They say technology has made the 9mm almost as effective as the 40 cal and 45ACP. Well the same technology applied to them would make them better again, I would think. After all the bigger the hole the quicker the nervous system is negatively effected and the quicker blood is lost. Remember we are talking slow velocity rounds here not something doing 2500fps+

Other than the Glock as to plastics, have you tried the H&K VP9?? I like the grip angle much better.. its still no where near the all time classic 1911.. but better than the Glock, IMHO

Ripp, no I have not. I haven't even seen one. Think I'll have to check out some gun stores.

9.3x57
.450 member

#346038 - 21/10/20 11:32 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Ripp, no I have not. I haven't even seen one. Think I'll have to check out some gun stores.

Check out the SIG P320, also!

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

lancaster
.470 member

Reged: 06/05/08
Loc: There's a lighthouse in the mi...
Re: Fading away?? The 45 ACP isn't going anywhere.... [Re: 9.3x57]
      #346184 - 26/10/20 06:30 AM

--------------------
Norwegian hunter misses moose, shoots man on toilet
bringing civilisation to the barbarians

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Fading away?? The 45 ACP isn't going anywhere.... [Re: lancaster]
      #346185 - 26/10/20 06:41 AM

Now THAT is a good annalogy, lancaster.
Well done.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Ripp
.577 member

Re: Fading away?? The 45 ACP isn't going anywhere.... [Re: DarylS]
      #346195 - 26/10/20 12:31 PM

Quote:

Now THAT is a good annalogy, lancaster.
Well done.

IF true, makes me realize why I like HK and Sig so much..

--------------------

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Fading away?? The 45 ACP isn't going anywhere.... [Re: NitroX]
      #346204 - 26/10/20 03:13 PM

Quote:

Quote:

NOW LET ME GET BACK ON TRACK WITH THIS THREAD!

Hmmmmm, the classic 1911 design. Do I love it, or do I hate it? You decide:

But wait a minute! So far nobody has even mentioned the Super .38 auto. Now that's a story in itself.

Curl

I just want ONE .45.

PS One of the guys at my club, had a STI Trojan in 9mm with a beautiful wooden grip and blued steel frame. It is discontinued,. I want ONE!

A .38 Super would be nice as well. For us bigger than .38 deprived Aussies.

OK seeing this thread is still going.

With the STI Trojan is discontinued, which handgun would be similar for me to acquire in Australia? It will have to be in 9mm.

Please make suggestions. I liked the STI Trojan and shot it well. I want a 1911 handgun. Thanks. Please suggest.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

lancaster
.470 member

Reged: 06/05/08
Loc: There's a lighthouse in the mi...
      #346207 - 26/10/20 03:23 PM

take it easy, buy a FN high power

--------------------
Norwegian hunter misses moose, shoots man on toilet
bringing civilisation to the barbarians

Ripp
.577 member

#346213 - 27/10/20 12:07 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

NOW LET ME GET BACK ON TRACK WITH THIS THREAD!

Hmmmmm, the classic 1911 design. Do I love it, or do I hate it? You decide:

But wait a minute! So far nobody has even mentioned the Super .38 auto. Now that's a story in itself.

Curl

I just want ONE .45.

PS One of the guys at my club, had a STI Trojan in 9mm with a beautiful wooden grip and blued steel frame. It is discontinued,. I want ONE!

A .38 Super would be nice as well. For us bigger than .38 deprived Aussies.

OK seeing this thread is still going.

With the STI Trojan is discontinued, which handgun would be similar for me to acquire in Australia? It will have to be in 9mm.

Please make suggestions. I liked the STI Trojan and shot it well. I want a 1911 handgun. Thanks. Please suggest.

https://www.gunsandammo.com/editorial/nighthawk-custom-agent2-commander-review/380529

--------------------

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#346234 - 27/10/20 10:59 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

https://www.gunsandammo.com/editorial/nighthawk-custom-agent2-commander-review/380529

Thanks for the suggestions. But want old school, blued metal and wooden grips.

FN High Power might be a possibility if a second hand model is available. But surely there are more modern makers making something?

Edited by NitroX (27/10/20 11:05 PM)

Ripp
.577 member

#346237 - 28/10/20 01:39 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

FN High Power might be a possibility if a second hand model is available. But surely there are more modern makers making something?

There are a LOT of manufacturers still making the 1911...
Here is a brief sampling of some available..

https://www.pewpewtactical.com/best-1911-pistols/

https://www.kimberamerica.com/pistols/1911

https://www.colt.com/category/pistols

--------------------

Edited by Ripp (28/10/20 01:47 AM)

Rule303
.416 member

#346251 - 28/10/20 08:39 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Yes, the CZ75and the IMI copy the Jericho

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#346265 - 28/10/20 02:48 PM

Quote:

There are a LOT of manufacturers still making the 1911...
Here is a brief sampling of some available..

https://www.pewpewtactical.com/best-1911-pistols/

https://www.kimberamerica.com/pistols/1911

https://www.colt.com/category/pistols

Have to have a look at these. The Kimber sounds like a possibility? I wonder which are available in Australia? Kimber? Will need to look. And of course the Colt, that one makes sense.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Edited by NitroX (28/10/20 02:49 PM)

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#346266 - 28/10/20 02:51 PM

Quote:

I did like the CZ75. It was my second favourite club loan handgun. I originally preferred using that one to the STI Trojan. Bit I found I simpler shot just a little better with the Trojan. And I think most people did, as it was in more demand. But a CZ75 is a possibility.

Forgive my ignorance, but what is a Jericho? A form of Browning FB Hi Power?

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Ripp
.577 member

#346279 - 29/10/20 12:42 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I did like the CZ75. It was my second favourite club loan handgun. I originally preferred using that one to the STI Trojan. Bit I found I simpler shot just a little better with the Trojan. And I think most people did, as it was in more demand. But a CZ75 is a possibility.

Forgive my ignorance, but what is a Jericho? A form of Browning FB Hi Power?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IWI_Jericho_941

The Jericho 941 is a double-action/single-action semi-automatic pistol developed by Israel Military Industries (now: Israel Weapon Industries) that was launched in 1990.

It was first imported into the US in 1990 by K.B.I., Inc. of Harrisburg, Pennsylvania. It was later imported by O.F. Mossberg & Sons and named the Uzi Eagle and by Magnum Research, Inc. as the Baby Eagle until the end of 2008. Some pistols from Magnum Research are marked Desert Eagle Pistol. Despite these names being used in the US market, the Jericho 941 is not related to the IMI Desert Eagle other than its manufacture and design by IMI, and bears only a slight cosmetic resemblance to the larger pistol. From January 2009 until they ceased business in January 2010, K.B.I., Inc. (which also imported Charles Daly firearms) imported the handgun as the Jericho. Magnum Research, now a division of Kahr Arms, announced a renewed importation of the Jericho.

In December 2014, IWI US, Inc. announced they would begin importing both the steel and polymer versions of the Jericho 941 in early 2015.[1]

--------------------

Ripp
.577 member

#346280 - 29/10/20 03:16 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Agree with the above..I know I have used this example before.. but years ago I was in pistol competitions shooting bowling pins..could shoot whatever caliber you wanted.. those shooting a 9mm would at times have to shoot the pins 2 to 3 times to get them off the table--not so with the 45acp--if a direct hit, 1 shot was all it took, they were gone.. and yes, all things being equal, if modern bullet design made the 9mm ALMOST as good, then wouldn't that same bullet design also make the 45acp that much better as well?? More marketing bullshit..

--------------------

9.3x57
.450 member

#346281 - 29/10/20 04:07 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Agree with the above..I know I have used this example before.. but years ago I was in pistol competitions shooting bowling pins..could shoot whatever caliber you wanted.. those shooting a 9mm would at times have to shoot the pins 2 to 3 times to get them off the table--not so with the 45acp--if a direct hit, 1 shot was all it took, they were gone.. and yes, all things being equal, if modern bullet design made the 9mm ALMOST as good, then wouldn't that same bullet design also make the 45acp that much better as well?? More marketing bullshit..

For a carry pistol, I respectfully disagree.

First, a bit of backstory. For years on the ranch here we used service pistols to kill butcher stock. Mostly this involved sheep but also included goats and steers. The sheep were sort of semi-wild and shot in various sized paddocks and one corral. Long story short, I had been a great devotee of the .45 ACP till I started killing stuff with one. I used many different service pistol calibers and finally settled on the 9mm as I could see no difference until one got outside the type and into the heavier calibers like .41 and .44 Mag. The 9 was cheaper to shoot, too.

The point being, at the very low energy levels we are dealing with, the 9 and .45 produced no discernible difference in effectiveness. Observers simply could not tell me which round was used unless they saw me load the gun. As I see it, this has implications for concealed carry, as even if we assumed the 9 was somewhat effective {debatable of course} the general type of concealed carry pistol available almost always provides an advantage of magazine capacity to the 9 and while neither are hard to shoot, the 9 produces less recoil and is thus even easier to shoot than the .45. There are numerous examples of felons requiring multiple hits to stop regardless of what caliber the service pistol used was chambered in.

My son sort of summed it up years ago when he said "Dad, after being in on the killing of many critters in the 70 to 250 pound class with service pistols, if I had to go to Afghanistan and had my choice, I'd take the 9 with higher cap magazines every time". I'd do the same thing.

Just my $.02.

--------------------

Ripp
.577 member

#346283 - 29/10/20 04:40 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

For a carry pistol, I respectfully disagree.

First, a bit of backstory. For years on the ranch here we used service pistols to kill butcher stock. Mostly this involved sheep but also included goats and steers. The sheep were sort of semi-wild and shot in various sized paddocks and one corral. Long story short, I had been a great devotee of the .45 ACP till I started killing stuff with one. I used many different service pistol calibers and finally settled on the 9mm as I could see no difference until one got outside the type and into the heavier calibers like .41 and .44 Mag. The 9 was cheaper to shoot, too.

The point being, at the very low energy levels we are dealing with, the 9 and .45 produced no discernible difference in effectiveness. Observers simply could not tell me which round was used unless they saw me load the gun. As I see it, this has implications for concealed carry, as even if we assumed the 9 was somewhat effective {debatable of course} the general type of concealed carry pistol available almost always provides an advantage of magazine capacity to the 9 and while neither are hard to shoot, the 9 produces less recoil and is thus even easier to shoot than the .45. There are numerous examples of felons requiring multiple hits to stop regardless of what caliber the service pistol used was chambered in.

My son sort of summed it up years ago when he said "Dad, after being in on the killing of many critters in the 70 to 250 pound class with service pistols, if I had to go to Afghanistan and had my choice, I'd take the 9 with higher cap magazines every time". I'd do the same thing.

Just my $.02.

Your .02 are very well accepted and appreciated

ALL of the special forces guys I train JJ with basically say the same thing for a carry guy..

However when I am on the ranch I carry 1 of 4 normally.. 454 Casull, 44mag S&W Titanium, Kimber 45acp with 4 " barrel, or S&W J-Frame titanium in .357 Mg..

For SD of the 2 legged variety in town or in my vehicle --normally a Glock 19X, Sig 365 or H&K..but all high capacity 9mm..as it seems they are running more in packs now days ..

I really enjoy these discussions.. always good to get more info.. AND I know you are using real world info.. not something you read in a magazine..
thx

--------------------

9.3x57
.450 member

#346284 - 29/10/20 06:19 AM

+1

Those bigger guns are a definite improvement for sure.

Jack Lott, the creator of the .458 Lott and of course a well-known fan of bigger is better, got curious about the Philippines Insurrection "Charging Moros" story that drove US Army development of the .45 ACP. He wrote an article about it many years ago and totally debunked it. I've got a copy around someplace. The problem w/ the previous guns, the Colt .38 Colts involved really anemic ammo and the guns were junk. Even General Hatcher admitted that. Lott dug into the after action reports and Army personnel were complaining that their M1897 Winchester 12 ga pump guns w/ buckshot and their Krag .30-40's were not always effective at stopping rushes by Moros...so how could the .38 be singled out as a loser!

I have a monograph here on US Army Trials of the 1907 Luger in..... 7.65/.30 Luger. Some of the cavalry units issued these pistols reported "stopping power" as a feature of the gun!

The whole subject is fraught with inconsistencies, contradictions and...as you say...marketing BS for sure!

--------------------

Ripp
.577 member

#346285 - 29/10/20 07:41 AM

Quote:

+1

Those bigger guns are a definite improvement for sure.

Jack Lott, the creator of the .458 Lott and of course a well-known fan of bigger is better, got curious about the Philippines Insurrection "Charging Moros" story that drove US Army development of the .45 ACP. He wrote an article about it many years ago and totally debunked it. I've got a copy around someplace. The problem w/ the previous guns, the Colt .38 Colts involved really anemic ammo and the guns were junk. Even General Hatcher admitted that. Lott dug into the after action reports and Army personnel were complaining that their M1897 Winchester 12 ga pump guns w/ buckshot and their Krag .30-40's were not always effective at stopping rushes by Moros...so how could the .38 be singled out as a loser!

I have a monograph here on US Army Trials of the 1907 Luger in..... 7.65/.30 Luger. Some of the cavalry units issued these pistols reported "stopping power" as a feature of the gun!

The whole subject is fraught with inconsistencies, contradictions and...as you say...marketing BS for sure!

IF you ever get a chance to dig that article up would enjoy reading that.. really interesting info..

AS to the ineffectiveness of the 38--always found it interesting how many use the .357 Mag. for bears.. same diameter.. just a bit faster.. NO human is as tough as a bear.. no matter what they snort before an attack..

I have shot several deer size animals with a 38 special..had no issue dispatching them..

--------------------

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #346286 - 29/10/20 09:53 AM

.45ACP worked for me - so did a rifle in .44 Mag. on bears. I never got to shoot a bear with the .44 4", but I'm sure it would have worked a treat.
A .45 Colt in a Win. Trapper M94 worked just fine on 2 elk as well.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Ripp
.577 member

Re: Fading away?? The 45 ACP isn't going anywhere.... [Re: DarylS]
      #346316 - 30/10/20 12:03 AM

Quote:

.45ACP worked for me - so did a rifle in .44 Mag. on bears. I never got to shoot a bear with the .44 4", but I'm sure it would have worked a treat.
A .45 Colt in a Win. Trapper M94 worked just fine on 2 elk as well.

OR, the 10mm seems to be very effective..
https://www.shootingillustrated.com/articles/2020/10/23/5-reasons-to-choose-a-10-mm-for-self-defense

--------------------

Rule303
.416 member

#346366 - 31/10/20 09:07 AM

Gents, some very good info in the above posts. I will disagree with the 9mm been as effective as the 45 as a stopper if using bullets of the same design. If you are dispatching an animal and brain, neck shooting it then yes, both the same. Shooting in the heart/lung area with rounds that are not fast then the bigger calibre damages more tissue and lets blood out quicker so incapacitates quicker. e.g. The Moros in the Philippines. The bullets back then were not much chop and a 45 Long Colt carried a bit more punch than a 38 simple physics. Both tended to just put straight holes and not readily expand . The rifles were probably using FMJ's or hard projectiles so just needle holes, later FMJ technology had the bullets bend on impact so cut much wider wound channel.

I to now days would rather carry a high capacity 9mm or 40cal. Reason for the 40, if shooting a two legged type and going for a brain stem shot from the front a 40 will get through all the bone without deviation, not all 9mm's will. Yes this is a very specific shot but when needed it is needed.

John, the Jericho was copied by Tanfoglio you might know this pistol.

Rod4861
.300 member

Reged: 12/06/07
Loc: Queensland, Australia
      #346379 - 31/10/20 03:15 PM

Quote:

Gents, some very good info in the above posts. I will disagree with the 9mm been as effective as the 45 as a stopper if using bullets of the same design. If you are dispatching an animal and brain, neck shooting it then yes, both the same. Shooting in the heart/lung area with rounds that are not fast then the bigger calibre damages more tissue and lets blood out quicker so incapacitates quicker. e.g. ol.

Yep I agree Greg. From my limited and non recent experience with pigs and pistol cartridges I found that big holes matter. A round through the chest of a pig with a 44, 357/38 or a 9 mm all resulted in a dead pig eventually. But the bigger the hole, preferably 2, entry and exit , usually meant the easier and shorter the track.

Diameter matters 👍

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 23 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 9335

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com