Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Fading away?? The 45 ACP isn't going anywhere....

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Handguns

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Fading away?? The 45 ACP isn't going anywhere....
      #345751 - 13/10/20 12:47 AM

https://gunandsurvival.com/2020/10/09/fading-away-the-45-acp-isnt-going-anywhere/

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Fading away?? The 45 ACP isn't going anywhere.... [Re: Ripp]
      #345752 - 13/10/20 03:31 AM

Yep. A very good round indeed, for self defense purposes. Mine did a good job on 2 fairly large black bears. One would have been well over the 300 lbs. The other would have been close to that. They were both fall boars. (Boars shot in the fall)

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

tinker
.416 member

Reged: 12/03/05
Loc: Nevada
Re: Fading away?? The 45 ACP isn't going anywhere.... [Re: DarylS]
      #345755 - 13/10/20 07:57 AM

I was running a .45 this weekend.
Nothing wrong with it at all.

--------------------
--Self-Appointed Colonel, DRSS--

"It IS a dangerous game, and so named for a reason, and you can't play from the keyboard. " --Some Old Texan...

Wayne59
.400 member

Reged: 20/06/15
Loc: Lagrange Ga. USA
Re: Fading away?? The 45 ACP isn't going anywhere.... [Re: tinker]
      #345758 - 13/10/20 12:11 PM

The 45acp is a lot like the 45/70. Some one is always preaching glum and doom but it will never recede into history.

Ripp
.577 member

Re: Fading away?? The 45 ACP isn't going anywhere.... [Re: tinker]
      #345766 - 13/10/20 01:18 PM

Quote:

WE have a lot of handguns in our house.. as to semi-auto's..NOTHING feels as good in the hand as a 1911.. as least not to me...

The ones available today can be on the spendy side, but they are super reliable, accurate and just plain fun to shoot...

--------------------

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #345772 - 13/10/20 05:48 PM

I would own a .45 ACP 1911 in a flash.

And if I was a crim would own several! I noticed decades ago, a person could buy frames in Victoria and every thing else except for the barrel for a low price. The barrels were registered in Vic. In SA the frame was registered but not the barrel. Put them together and voila!!!

Mr Plod I unfortunately never did it. No need for a raid! And I read bikie gangs were doing it a few years later.

The .45 1911 was reportedly one of the most popular handguns in Australia pre the gun steal off Mark 2 when most handguns greater than .38 and 9 mm were slen off law abiding Aussie shooters because some chink student in Melbourne murdered maybe three persons with a handgun. A massacre!!! The steal off was designed to eliminate as many handguns as possible with calibre restrictions and barrel lengths. A lot of manufacturers thankfully immediately offered slightly longer barrels and foiled the evil dwarfs plans. But not the .45 ACP.

Some target disciplines are permitted larger calibres, such as metal silhouette and even IPSC in some states but not SA.

U would own one without a doubt if not more than one. A true classic and still as relevant today.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Fading away?? The 45 ACP isn't going anywhere.... [Re: NitroX]
      #345774 - 13/10/20 05:53 PM

Quote:

Even groundbreaking cartridges such as the 6.5 Creedmoor have struggled with maintaining relevance. The greatest merit that the 6.5 CM had was that it offered an improvement over .308 Winchester in an identically sized rifle. There are already rounds that exceed the 6.5 CM in many arenas: 6mm Creedmoor, 6.5 PRC and others like them.

Ha ha ha ha

Especially when far better rounds existed even before it was created!

--------------------
John aka NitroX

93x64mm
.416 member

Reged: 07/12/11
Loc: Nth QLD Australia
      #345781 - 13/10/20 10:49 PM

A brilliant design of simplicity & functionality.
Hopefully one day I will get to own a 1911, unfortunately it will not be in .45ACP due to our stupid laws!
Yes I'll have to do so many shoots per year to maintain my license, will I be competitive - most probably not, but who cares!
I'll still be have a great old time reloading & shooting!

Ripp
.577 member

#345784 - 14/10/20 01:10 AM

Quote:

I would own a .45 ACP 1911 in a flash.

And if I was a crim would own several! I noticed decades ago, a person could buy frames in Victoria and every thing else except for the barrel for a low price. The barrels were registered in Vic. In SA the frame was registered but not the barrel. Put them together and voila!!!

Mr Plod I unfortunately never did it. No need for a raid! And I read bikie gangs were doing it a few years later.

The .45 1911 was reportedly one of the most popular handguns in Australia pre the gun steal off Mark 2 when most handguns greater than .38 and 9 mm were slen off law abiding Aussie shooters because some chink student in Melbourne murdered maybe three persons with a handgun. A massacre!!! The steal off was designed to eliminate as many handguns as possible with calibre restrictions and barrel lengths. A lot of manufacturers thankfully immediately offered slightly longer barrels and foiled the evil dwarfs plans. But not the .45 ACP.

Some target disciplines are permitted larger calibres, such as metal silhouette and even IPSC in some states but not SA.

U would own one without a doubt if not more than one. A true classic and still as relevant today.

I have a older Colt Gold Cup, from back in the early 80's.. stainless, like new in the box .. hidden away.. thinking perhaps I need to break that out and use it.. Who the hell am I saving it for? Not like I am going to sell it..

Have several other models in 45 ACP.. was actually carrying a 4" on me last weekend while riding my horse through the forest looking for stray cattle... Like Daryl states, I am reasonably confident whatever I run into out there the 45 will handle..

--------------------

aromakr
.375 member

Reged: 20/04/11
Loc: Hamilton, Montana
      #345786 - 14/10/20 02:44 AM

The 1911 is my favorite and I've owned a number of handguns over the years. I have 5 if I remember correctly. a 45 super, 2 45ACP's, a 40 S&W and a 9mm./22TCM. The super pushes a 180gr Truncated cone at 1100 fps from a 4" barrel. I'm very confident it will be effective in the field.

Bob

Edited by aromakr (14/10/20 04:02 AM)

DarylS
.700 member

Re: Fading away?? The 45 ACP isn't going anywhere.... [Re: aromakr]
      #345788 - 14/10/20 03:24 AM

Is Winchester W630 still available? Perhaps with a Hodgdon designation?
The reason I ask, is this powder used to be listed for the .45 ACP in a 1911 for use with the 260gr. Speer HP. That is the bullet I used on the second bear, a 230 FMJ on the first, same load. Speer listed 11.9gr. of W630 with the 260gr. HP. That is the load I used, "give" or take 1/10th gr.
It chorno'd 960fps in my Wilson 5" bl. & shot into 2" at 50 yards off a rest. It was "lightly" tuned.
Hell of a good load.
I sold it to a fellow employee who "needed" it for her husband for his birthday.

--------------------
Daryl

Ripp
.577 member

Re: Fading away?? The 45 ACP isn't going anywhere.... [Re: DarylS]
      #345796 - 14/10/20 12:27 PM

Quote:

Is Winchester W630 still available? Perhaps with a Hodgdon designation?
The reason I ask, is this powder used to be listed for the .45 ACP in a 1911 for use with the 260gr. Speer HP. That is the bullet I used on the second bear, a 230 FMJ on the first, same load. Speer listed 11.9gr. of W630 with the 260gr. HP. That is the load I used, "give" or take 1/10th gr.
It chorno'd 960fps in my Wilson 5" bl. & shot into 2" at 50 yards off a rest. It was "lightly" tuned.
Hell of a good load.
I sold it to a fellow employee who "needed" it for her husband for his birthday.

MY father-in-law loaded up a couple thousand rounds for me last winter.. used 230gr FMJ.. 5.3grs of 231.. CCI primers.. about 825fps... super accurate round in every 45 I shoot them in ..
https://shop.hodgdon.com/winchester/winchester-231

BTW--took a quick run around .. see we currently have 8 in 45acp.. thought we had more.. may have missed one of two laying elsewhere..

--------------------

Vladymere
.300 member

Reged: 11/08/15
Loc: North Carolina, USA
      #345797 - 14/10/20 01:03 PM

I only have two 1911s. One is an Argentine air force and the other is one I built on a Paraordinance frame when they first came out.

The Paraordinance is an alloy frame with a double stack magazine, 13 in the mag and one in the pipe. The grip on the Paraordinance is only an 1/8" wider than a standard government model.

If I am doing open carry then the Paraordinance is the the one that carry.

Vlad

Postman
.375 member

Reged: 25/09/13
Loc: Canada
Re: Fading away?? The 45 ACP isn't going anywhere.... [Re: Vladymere]
      #345801 - 14/10/20 10:52 PM

Got a 1911 Les Baer back in 2000. After shipping, taxes, duties, and the dreaded brokerage fees coming cross border, the pistol cost more than a good used econo car at the time!

Anyhow, 5000 round thru it and it is as tight as it was the day it was bought. Extremely accurate and as reliable as a quality swiss watch, it keeps running perfectly!!! Not a single FTF or a jam of any kind!!!! I’m still waiting for the day I can call it “broken in”

I use the old standby of 4.8 grains of bullseye under a 200 grain hard cast SWC lead bullet. The powder is a bit dirty, but it doesn’t bother the pistol at all.

Great gun and after going on 20 years, it is a pistol I will NEVER part with!!!!!!

Edited by Postman (14/10/20 11:00 PM)

Ripp
.577 member

Re: Fading away?? The 45 ACP isn't going anywhere.... [Re: Postman]
      #345804 - 15/10/20 12:26 AM

Quote:

Got a 1911 Les Baer back in 2000. After shipping, taxes, duties, and the dreaded brokerage fees coming cross border, the pistol cost more than a good used econo car at the time!

Anyhow, 5000 round thru it and it is as tight as it was the day it was bought. Extremely accurate and as reliable as a quality swiss watch, it keeps running perfectly!!! Not a single FTF or a jam of any kind!!!! I’m still waiting for the day I can call it “broken in”

I use the old standby of 4.8 grains of bullseye under a 200 grain hard cast SWC lead bullet. The powder is a bit dirty, but it doesn’t bother the pistol at all.

Great gun and after going on 20 years, it is a pistol I will NEVER part with!!!!!!

The Les Baer you have is an incredible handgun. Have had the opportunity to fire one or two through the years... very high quality.. can think of none better... and yes, they are not cheap but worth every penny.

--------------------

Edited by Ripp (15/10/20 12:27 AM)

Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
      #345813 - 15/10/20 02:35 PM

From an historical/heritage arms collector's point of view, the .45 ACP couldn't possibly fade away, due to its indelible mark on world history.

It doesn't hurt that the Colt 1911 Government Model was its primary platform for the Allies through two world wars!

Apart from the 2 Argentinian .45s mentioned in an earlier thread, I have a 1911A1 in my gunsafe that was a Korean War battle-field pick-up by my late good mate Don Davie. He removed it from a dead Chinaman after leading his Section on a bayonet-charge into the enemy trenches at Kapyong on 24 April 1951. He brought back a Military Medal, a US Presidential Distinguished Unit Citation, and the Colt.

How could that ever fade away!

On a more contemporary note, all 3 Colt .45s in my custody seem to like a modest charge of W231 under the 230-grainer. In an attempt to replicate military hard-ball for our collector-club shoots, I have been loading Frontier copper-clad bullets that look like FMJ but were much cheaper to run here in Oz. Unfortunately my stash of both powder and projies is dwindling and future supply is uncertain locally.
Hate the thought of messing with a load that has been functioning perfectly!

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

Ripp
.577 member

Re: Fading away?? The 45 ACP isn't going anywhere.... [Re: Marrakai]
      #345823 - 16/10/20 12:41 AM

Quote:

From an historical/heritage arms collector's point of view, the .45 ACP couldn't possibly fade away, due to its indelible mark on world history.

It doesn't hurt that the Colt 1911 Government Model was its primary platform for the Allies through two world wars!

Apart from the 2 Argentinian .45s mentioned in an earlier thread, I have a 1911A1 in my gunsafe that was a Korean War battle-field pick-up by my late good mate Don Davie. He removed it from a dead Chinaman after leading his Section on a bayonet-charge into the enemy trenches at Kapyong on 24 April 1951. He brought back a Military Medal, a US Presidential Distinguished Unit Citation, and the Colt.

How could that ever fade away!

On a more contemporary note, all 3 Colt .45s in my custody seem to like a modest charge of W231 under the 230-grainer. In an attempt to replicate military hard-ball for our collector-club shoots, I have been loading Frontier copper-clad bullets that look like FMJ but were much cheaper to run here in Oz. Unfortunately my stash of both powder and projies is dwindling and future supply is uncertain locally.
Hate the thought of messing with a load that has been functioning perfectly!

That's a great story on finding the 1911A1....sounds like your friend was a remarkable person...

In case you do need to look for another load, I found this on-line to start a few new recipes...231 is still readily available here..

https://www.gunsandammo.com/editorial/reloading-45-acp/361509

--------------------

Edited by Ripp (16/10/20 02:03 AM)

Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
      #345896 - 18/10/20 12:02 AM

That's a fair list of powder options right there Ripp.

But when my 231 runs out I should probly "buy Australian-made" and move to ADI powder for the .45. Thales have been moving the goal-posts around a bit lately though...
I'm happy with ADI for all my rifle loading BTW, only
use WSF for bismuth shotshells and 231 for .45 and .380.

None of the projectiles illustrated in that article would pass for military ball though!

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

FrankS
.300 member

Reged: 06/10/08
Loc: New Iberia Louisiana
Re: Fading away?? The 45 ACP isn't going anywhere.... [Re: Marrakai]
      #345923 - 18/10/20 05:33 PM

Only have 2 45's One is a 1943 Ithaca 1911A1 I got in a swap session from a WWII vet. The other is a Springfield Armory 1911A1 with all the bells and whistles. Started shooting the Ithaca in steel plate matches as it was the only 45 I had at the time. Then found the Springfield Armory a year or so later. I've shot only hardcast 230 grain round nosed bullets in both. I'll play around with my 9mms. But always come back to the 45's. Frank

CptCurlAdministrator
.450 member

Reged: 01/05/04
Loc: Fincastle, Botetourt County, V...
      #345968 - 19/10/20 10:24 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Even groundbreaking cartridges such as the 6.5 Creedmoor have struggled with maintaining relevance. The greatest merit that the 6.5 CM had was that it offered an improvement over .308 Winchester in an identically sized rifle. There are already rounds that exceed the 6.5 CM in many arenas: 6mm Creedmoor, 6.5 PRC and others like them.

Ha ha ha ha

I would be a bit circumspect here. The 6.5mm Creedmoor was designed for a specific application: It will function in an AR-10. In that application the question is whether it provides some advantage over the 7.62x51 NATO (.308 Win.), when employed in a long range precision semi-automatic sniper rifle (SASS). In tests by the U.S. military the round excelled. It has been adopted by various branches of the U.S. services for the purpose mentioned.

So, yes there are other big bangers in 6.5mm caliber, but those bangers won't work in the AR-10 platform.

One might ridicule the .308 Win. in similar vein. However, that cartridge isn't going away any time soon in favor of the .300 Win. Mag. or other boomers.

I'm not being snide or snippy. I just wanted to point out that the 6.5 Creedmoor was designed for a specific task on a specific military platform. Hornady knew what it was doing and did succeed in the endeavor.

NOW LET ME GET BACK ON TRACK WITH THIS THREAD!

Hmmmmm, the classic 1911 design. Do I love it, or do I hate it? You decide:

But wait a minute! So far nobody has even mentioned the Super .38 auto. Now that's a story in itself.

Curl

--------------------
RoscoeStephenson.com

YOUR DOUBLE RIFLE IS YOUR BEST FRIEND.

Ripp
.577 member

Re: Fading away?? The 45 ACP isn't going anywhere.... [Re: CptCurl]
      #345974 - 20/10/20 05:25 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Ha ha ha ha

I would be a bit circumspect here. The 6.5mm Creedmoor was designed for a specific application: It will function in an AR-10. In that application the question is whether it provides some advantage over the 7.62x51 NATO (.308 Win.), when employed in a long range precision semi-automatic sniper rifle (SASS). In tests by the U.S. military the round excelled. It has been adopted by various branches of the U.S. services for the purpose mentioned.

So, yes there are other big bangers in 6.5mm caliber, but those bangers won't work in the AR-10 platform.

One might ridicule the .308 Win. in similar vein. However, that cartridge isn't going away any time soon in favor of the .300 Win. Mag. or other boomers.

I'm not being snide or snippy. I just wanted to point out that the 6.5 Creedmoor was designed for a specific task on a specific military platform. Hornady knew what it was doing and did succeed in the endeavor.

But wait a minute! So far nobody has even mentioned the Super .38 auto. Now that's a story in itself.

Curl

THAT IS AWESOME...

I might be going out on a limb here but I guessing you are rather fond of the 1911??

--------------------

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
      #345980 - 20/10/20 06:44 AM

My favorite .45 bullet;

Lyman 454190 cast of wheelweights and weighing 262 grains. I get 839 fps from it.

The 454190 is the original old semi-pointed Army bullet. Feeds slick thru 1911's and my SIG and penetrates very deeply. Old Elmer had some good things to say about it before he drummed up the Keith type, but only for its penetration.

Here's my test plate for various calibers/ranges. In line w/ other .45's on steel, it doesn't get thru the plate but on "soft" targets; critters, etc, punches very deeply.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Fading away?? The 45 ACP isn't going anywhere.... [Re: CptCurl]
      #345987 - 20/10/20 03:30 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Ha ha ha ha

Pffffffttt! You need to keep up Curl. The Swede have also have good shooting semi autos in 6.5x55 for decades as well.

And yes I am laughing at this confirmation quotation.

Quote:

Even groundbreaking cartridges such as the 6.5 Creedmoor have struggled with maintaining relevance.

Quote:

Curl

Every Tommygun owner needs at least two .45 1911's in open holsters on his belt!

Ffff it is annoying seeing all of them, I just want ONE .45.

PS One of the guys at my club, had a STI Trojan in 9mm with a beautiful wooden grip and blued steel frame. It is discontinued,. I want ONE!

A .38 Super would be nice as well. For us bigger than .38 deprived Aussies.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Edited by NitroX (21/10/20 02:11 AM)

Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
      #345997 - 20/10/20 08:59 PM

Quote:

Quote:

WE have a lot of handguns in our house.. as to semi-auto's..NOTHING feels as good in the hand as a 1911.. as least not to me...

The ones available today can be on the spendy side, but they are super reliable, accurate and just plain fun to shoot...

True. The 1911 and Browning Hi Power to my hand have the same grip angle. I like my Glock but wish it had the Colt/Browning grip angle. Points so much more natural for me.

They say technology has made the 9mm almost as effective as the 40 cal and 45ACP. Well the same technology applied to them would make them better again, I would think. After all the bigger the hole the quicker the nervous system is negatively effected and the quicker blood is lost. Remember we are talking slow velocity rounds here not something doing 2500fps+

DarylS
.700 member

Re: Fading away?? The 45 ACP isn't going anywhere.... [Re: Rule303]
      #346002 - 21/10/20 03:47 AM

My 1911 Colt, purchased in 1981 or 1982, was in .38 Super.
I only ever had 2 boxes of brass for it - hard to find brass,
so I made my own out of .38 Spl. brass of which I had thousands.
Due to the problem of brass, (I hated losing my home made brass) I converted the .39 Super to .45 ACP with a Wilson barrel. I bought spring guides, bushings and links to play with the barrel to slide "fitting".
Got it to 2" at 50 yards off sand bags, shot the bears with it, used it in little 'shoots' I put on for the local RCMP and my riot squad guys who liked to shoot. I then sold it in a weak moment. One of the gals at work wanted it for her husband for Christmas. Story of my life, that happens so often.

--------------------
Daryl

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 26 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 9333

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com