Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: 45 auto

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Handguns

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: 45 auto [Re: 93mouse]
      #99560 - 19/03/08 02:47 AM

Quote:

I use 45ACP with 230gr FMJ for finishers only (neck shots - must break vertebra - in/out clean wounds ~ 3/4 cal. dia) - for hunting .45ACP just gasps for velocity as 57 said - I'd limit myself for distances max. 25m with tad faster (P+ if it works in your gun) and lighter JHP on critters up to 80kg (broadside behind the shoulder shots). No point in comparing it with .44 Mag.

93, very interesting. Exactly the reason we've used FMJ loads in various service calibers for stock shooting for years; very little internal trauma and no lost meat if a body shot becomes necessary. Also the exact reason such bullets should not be used for HUNTING deer, etc.

My son has seen enough mayhem with skittish sheep and pistols he has more or less given up on handguns for butcher stock shooting. He uses our Winchester Trapper .44 with JHP or LSWC loads. Even slightly "off" headshots stun and drop the animal long enough for him to kill them with his knife. Since we stick them all anyway, I have to admit his practicality in this regard is hard to argue with. I have seen sheep take head shots with several calibers including the .45 ACP {FMJ's} and just shake their noggins and proceed with life more-or-less as usual, but I have never seen one tagged with a .44 Mag in the head that didn't find the ground fast.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

Edited by 9ThreeXFifty7 (19/03/08 02:48 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
buckbrush
.300 member

Reged: 23/08/07
Loc: Alberta
Re: 45 auto [Re: 9.3x57]
      #105129 - 15/05/08 09:49 AM

how about a .45 Super- 460 Rowland- 45-08? Same firearm but much more power. I know a pistolsmith in Prince George B.C., that has built several 45-08's for people for bear protection sidearms. He uses cut down .308 cases and loads the snot out of them, I think he gets well over 1200 fps with 230 gr jsp's and swc's.

He recomends Norinco 1911 frames for this, they are tougher than a woodpeckers lips!(5100 series steel.)

bigmaxx
.375 member

Reged: 13/06/07
Loc: Bowling Green KY U.S.A.
Re: 45 auto [Re: 93mouse]
      #105148 - 15/05/08 01:47 PM

First let me say that my chosen caliber for hunting deer is .44 remington magnum. I have used .454 casull also. I would not hesitate to use the .45 acp for deer at bow ranges, 25-35 yds. I think i would use a 230 grain hydrashok. In defense of the 9mm, i believe it is capable of stopping quite well with +p+ ammo if you do your part and put it where it's supposed to go. I carry a Glock 26 sometimes and hit very well with it. I do however usually carry a Glock 21 or 30 with corbon +p ammo. I really like hunting in dense woods from a treestand with a scoped handgun. You can shoot in almost any direction without the twisting and movement required with a rifle.

--------------------
One day at a time...

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 24 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 6230

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com