Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Glocks! Thoughts?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Handguns

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Ash
.400 member

Reged: 10/05/11
Loc: Australia
Glocks! Thoughts?
      #288360 - 26/09/16 06:25 PM

Hey guys!

Any thoughts on Glocks? Seem to be bloody popular, so must be alright?

What about the Glock 37 in .45 GAP? (Sometimes someone just "wants" a certain caliber, despire performance or similar cartridges (thinking someone is going to go "why not 45 ACP") :P.

Cheers!

--------------------

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
Re: Glocks! Thoughts? [Re: Ash]
      #288362 - 26/09/16 08:08 PM

Proven to be one of the most reliable sidearm's going. Up there with the Colt 1911, Browning Hi Power and CZ75. Will run reliably with most ammo. The grip angle is not as good as the Hi Power and 1911 at least for me.

Viking338
.333 member

Reged: 11/08/11
Loc: Queensland Australia
      #288363 - 26/09/16 08:18 PM

I had a 21 and loved but went back to 38Super when the Govt stole them off us as I couldn't be bothered shooting Metallic Sill just to keep it and the STI suits the IPSC better I think.

Iowa_303s
.400 member

Reged: 22/03/13
Loc: Iowa, USA
Re: Glocks! Thoughts? [Re: Viking338]
      #288366 - 26/09/16 09:19 PM

Ash,
As it was stated earlier, Glocks are ultra reliable with any type of ammunition.
I carry a G19 (9x19) daily and have the utmost faith that it will work any time I call upon it.
As to your caliber choice, I have not seen a box of .45 GAP for sale in the USA for many years.
I'm sure its out there, but it ain't popular!

--------------------
Matt

formerly known as Iowa_303

"Once your reputation is ruined you can live your life quite freely."

"Enkelkinder über alles"

Postman
.375 member

Reged: 25/09/13
Loc: Canada
Re: Glocks! Thoughts? [Re: Iowa_303s]
      #288370 - 26/09/16 10:46 PM

OMG!!!!!! Tupperware in my gun safe????? At least when you clean it, the thing is dishwasher safe....... I made that comment to a lady cop friend of my social planner when the ladies were gathered at the kitchen table yammering on about girl stuff while I was loading the dishwasher (pardon the pun) before going out to shoot IPSC. She was left a little bit speechless and chose to politely ignore my baiting comment. The cops up here don't get to choose their own. They must carry what their masters issue to them.

Almost all IDPA or IPSC shooters will shoot a 1911. The best of the best shoot 1911s. Why? Because it is the fastest and most effective sidearm for the "play combat" gamers, and one will struggle to be competitive if one chooses an alternative. The Glock double action trigger is not a friend of speedy-accurate shooting, particularly for a shooter is habituated to single action triggers, and one must learn to shoot it effectively.

As for the Glock, they are incredibly strong, accurate, utterly reliable to a fault, and relatively cost effective. Oh, and did I mention how utterly reliable they were? I have seen two Glocks outright fail in all the years I've been at this shooting thing. And the cause of the failure? The incompetent owner had a habit of seriously over charging his cases and blew them both sky high. On the second blow up, he lascerated his trigger finger and thumb pretty badly but other than that, He was pretty much unscathed. Not the Glock's fault at all and it would seem to prove out the statement that you can't fix stupid, repeating a serious and potentially fatal mistake more than once.

As for .45 GAP, I've never even heard of that caliber. Most guys shoot .40 cal, and a fair number shoot .45ACP. If it makes you happy and brass isn't an issue, then have at it.

I honestly can't give you a personal experience based opinion on its suitability for a daily carry gun because we are not allowed to do that in Canada. Only the criminals are armed in Canada. The police forces like 'em because the accidental discharge likelihood is greatly reduced with the Glock design, ergo it is a much safer issue firearm than having to deal with the additional training issues and scary looking public presentation that is associated to the open holster cocked and locked 1911 carry condition.

As a side note, and at the risk of hijacking the OPs thread, here in Canada, a previous Liberal justice minister, Alan Rock, brought in bill C68, a highly flawed and highly restrictive piece of anti-firearms legislation, and upon doing so, loudly declared that only the police and military should have firearms, and if you wish to shoot firearms, you should join the police or military. His words almost verbatim were the same words spoken many decades earlier in the late 1930s by Heinrich Himler as the Nazi party was rising to power in pre war Germany.

Edited by Postman (26/09/16 11:24 PM)

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: Glocks! Thoughts? [Re: Iowa_303s]
      #288372 - 26/09/16 10:56 PM

Glocks became part of my "go to" hangun arsenal later in life as I didn't like the grip angle and feel like a 1911..BUT, I now have a 17, 19,20, 23, 34 model...carry the 19 fairly often and really like it..Had some custom work done to it such as change the angle of the trigger guard a bit to eliminate "glock knuckle" .installed night sights, stippled the grip and removed the finger groves...did similar to the model 34 that I use for more of a target shooting format or lesson gun along with custom trigger and cerakote finish on it..

They are as stated "ultra reliable"..you pull the trigger and they go boom...:)

Here is a pic of my model 34 after-.

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Edited by Ripp (26/09/16 11:34 PM)

Ripp
.577 member

Re: Glocks! Thoughts? [Re: Ripp]
      #288383 - 27/09/16 03:19 AM

In case there were any doubts on Glock..

here is a guy fishing(unusual method) under water with one..

https://youtu.be/6lG-snJZIV8

--------------------

Ash
.400 member

#288466 - 29/09/16 09:29 PM

Haha thats cool (the lion fish)

Ripp, nice Glock. Ive never seen a cut out of the slide before. Please explain?

I was thinking for fun maybe one day getting a Glock 21 and a .50 GI kit :P (for the lols ).

Although i do wonder - how would that cartridge go as? Do you think it may have too much penetration or be alright? 185gr .500 bullet @ 1200fps. Same ballistics as a .45 ACP just a bigger bullet i think?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twq-0LgY_vI

--------------------

gungadoug
.333 member

Reged: 13/08/12
Loc: NM
      #288469 - 29/09/16 11:05 PM

A lot of the police depts here tried the Glock, then went back to whatever they were using before as a result of excessive self- inflicted gunshot wounds. Seems the officers were not able to keep the finger out of the triggerguard when re-holstering. By excessive I mean 100% increases, or so. Excellent pistol, but ya need to keep your finger off the trigger!!!
Doug

Ripp
.577 member

Re: Glocks! Thoughts? [Re: gungadoug]
      #288472 - 29/09/16 11:38 PM

Quote:

A lot of the police depts here tried the Glock, then went back to whatever they were using before as a result of excessive self- inflicted gunshot wounds. Seems the officers were not able to keep the finger out of the triggerguard when re-holstering. By excessive I mean 100% increases, or so. Excellent pistol, but ya need to keep your finger off the trigger!!!
Doug

Not trying to be over critical here..but that is just plain really pathetically poor training...WTH???

Really, your finger is on the trigger has you are pulling or putting away in your holster??? Perhaps the policy dept in question needs to up their budgets to allow for more handgun practice?? It is quite obvious training is NOT a priority if this is occurring with that much frequency..Just say'n...sorry, to go off a bit, but WOW, really???

I do know some holsters that are meant to retain the firearm have a little plastic button you push as you are drawing the weapon which puts the finger in a bad position when drawing..but NO police dept should be using those anyway as they can also be purchased with the release by the thumb and a number of other restraining types...so that should not be an issue..

Ripp

--------------------

Edited by Ripp (29/09/16 11:53 PM)

Ripp
.577 member

#288473 - 29/09/16 11:46 PM

Quote:

Haha thats cool (the lion fish)

Ripp, nice Glock. Ive never seen a cut out of the slide before. Please explain?

I was thinking for fun maybe one day getting a Glock 21 and a .50 GI kit :P (for the lols ).

Although i do wonder - how would that cartridge go as? Do you think it may have too much penetration or be alright? 185gr .500 bullet @ 1200fps. Same ballistics as a .45 ACP just a bigger bullet i think?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twq-0LgY_vI

On the model 34, that is how they come from the factory..with the cutout..

I dont know anything about the cartridge you describe above..best left for someone who does...initially one of the issues with the 10mm was over penetration when first picked up to be used by law enforcement..that, and the recoil was found to be excessive for many, especially for those with smaller hands.. (but those with smaller hands have other problems as well --

Here are ballistic charts I found on the 10mm and 45ACP..impressive velocity on the 10..many here carry it as a bear defense gun while out bow hunting or hiking..I still prefer my wheel gun in 44mag. ..perhaps I am just old fashion...

http://www.ballistics101.com/10mm.php

http://www.ballistics101.com/45_acp.php

--------------------

Edited by Ripp (29/09/16 11:48 PM)

Postman
.375 member

Re: Glocks! Thoughts? [Re: gungadoug]
      #288475 - 29/09/16 11:51 PM

Quote:

Doug

You absolutely MUST be kidding!!!!! Wow!!! I would have expected the opposite when comparing to a 1911.... Cocked and locked, a 1911 commands and demands good gun handling. I would have thought the Glock would have prevented ADs from touchy 1911 triggers and a safety that can easily be snikked to the fire position...... Best send them LEOs back to basic training and requalify the lot..... Again, WOW....

Rule303
.416 member

Re: Glocks! Thoughts? [Re: Postman]
      #288492 - 30/09/16 08:21 AM

What Ripp and Postman said about Glock handling.

Ash
.400 member

Re: Glocks! Thoughts? [Re: Rule303]
      #288496 - 30/09/16 08:58 AM

Thanks for the responses.
Ripp I had no idea they came like that. Your Glock looks fantastic! I'm saving those images.

Moving to the US hopefully, gotta look into gun laws to see what'll allow me to own. Or if they'll just all be my wife's guns lol. Going to enjoy the freedom.

About the 10mm - the police here carry Glock 22's in .40 S&W. Wonder what made them go that choice? Maybe it's just the movies but I always thought police just generally carried 9mm's.

--------------------

iomskp
.300 member

Reged: 10/11/08
Loc: Cairns Queensland Australia
      #288498 - 30/09/16 11:30 AM

I have not had a lot of semi autos, but that little bit of wood that rattles around in my head from time to time told me I had to have a Glock, so I go and by a 34 in 9 mm with 4 mags and I pick up a 6 inch target barrel, it works like a dream providing I load the rounds correctly how ever the trigger is crap I have replaced some parts to make it better but the trigger is still crap, the gun hits where you point it, loads and unloads well, mag release is great for me, all in all I wish I still had my CZ 75 or bought a SIG and yes the Glock is for sale.

Regards Trevor

Wayne59
.400 member

Reged: 20/06/15
Loc: Lagrange Ga. USA
      #288499 - 30/09/16 11:35 AM

I don't remember seeing or hearing anything about the criminals accidentally shooting themselves with Glocks. Maybe it is because they hold them on there sides wile shooting.

Rule303
.416 member

#288514 - 30/09/16 05:43 PM

Ash the police went with 40cal as it is a better stopper than 9mm.

The Glock was designed as a combat handgun with reliability as its foremost feature, as such it's trigger is great. As a competition gun the trigger needs work. I'll stay with the factory trigger. Also if you only let the trigger out to the reset notch-when you hear and feel a click- then the trigger is very light and requires very little movement.

Mike_Bailey
.400 member

Reged: 26/02/07
Loc: GB
      #288517 - 30/09/16 06:03 PM

Love that underwater shooting clip. Can anyone give me an idea why he has that stainless "tube" on the end ?
best

Postman
.375 member

Re: Glocks! Thoughts? [Re: Wayne59]
      #288520 - 30/09/16 09:35 PM

Quote:

I don't remember seeing or hearing anything about the criminals accidentally shooting themselves with Glocks. Maybe it is because they hold them on there sides wile shooting.

Yo mama!!!!! Ya caint be killin' no home boyz wit out cha holdin' da gun gansta style mon!!!

Edited by Postman (30/09/16 09:56 PM)

Well_Well_Well
.333 member

Reged: 03/01/07
Re: Glocks! Thoughts? [Re: Postman]
      #288521 - 30/09/16 09:44 PM

I think you mean "mon".

Postman
.375 member

Re: Glocks! Thoughts? [Re: Well_Well_Well]
      #288522 - 30/09/16 09:55 PM

Quote:

I think you mean "mon".

Yup. I suck when it comes to speaking gangsta...... I hold my pistols upright. Maybe that's why I can't break into IPSC master class. Post corrected.

Edited by Postman (30/09/16 09:57 PM)

Ripp
.577 member

#288523 - 30/09/16 10:46 PM

Quote:

Ash the police went with 40cal as it is a better stopper than 9mm.

The Glock was designed as a combat handgun with reliability as its foremost feature, as such it's trigger is great. As a competition gun the trigger needs work. I'll stay with the factory trigger. Also if you only let the trigger out to the reset notch-when you hear and feel a click- then the trigger is very light and requires very little movement.

Agree with above..and yes, while the triggers are certainly not a 1911 style pull there are a couple things you can do without switching them..polish up the trigger assembly is one..also when shooting--pull trigger to point of the reset and once fired only release trigger to the point of reset again, you will hear an audible click..works very well for multiple shots..

I have replaced the trigger on the model 34 as I use it more for target style shooting..but have not and will not replace my carry gun which is a model 19 that has been worked..but still factory trigger...working on a weekly basis with some local law enforcement individuals training in martial arts, their advisement is leave it as is..if one actually does get into a confrontation and shots are fired, the trigger could become an issue..especially if the 15 round clip is dumped into the dead person's chest..

As to 9mm vs 40..that is correct..it was stated back some time ago when law enforcement was toying with the idea of the 10mm (which proved to be to much for some) alas the 40 S&W was born which some say stands for short and weak.. However with the advent of better ammo, bullets, etc..the FBI is now going back to the 9mm..not sure if it is more of a issue with hiring more females and they cant handle the recoil but my thoughts are if Phil Shoemaker can kill a brown bear at 6ft with a 9mm, odds are there aren't too many humans that cant be stopped with the same weapon..

One final issue with the Glocks is that it is stated or rumored that you are NOT to use hard cast bullets in the standard factory barrels of a Glock..in my model 20 10mm I actually installed a KKM and had the port modified a bit to accept most any rounds ..and now carry it with hard cast bullets while hiking in the woods with my family ..or as stated earlier take my S&W model 329 in 44 mag loaded with 300gr hard cast ..have to admit 14 rounds from the 10mm is formidable

Ripp

--------------------

Ripp
.577 member

#288532 - 01/10/16 01:37 AM

More interesting info...

http://www.shootingtimes.com/gunsmithing/glock-conversion-9x23-winchester/

--------------------

Ripp
.577 member

#288533 - 01/10/16 01:44 AM

Quote:

Thanks for the responses.
Ripp I had no idea they came like that. Your Glock looks fantastic! I'm saving those images.

Moving to the US hopefully, gotta look into gun laws to see what'll allow me to own. Or if they'll just all be my wife's guns lol. Going to enjoy the freedom.

About the 10mm - the police here carry Glock 22's in .40 S&W. Wonder what made them go that choice? Maybe it's just the movies but I always thought police just generally carried 9mm's.

_____

Let me know if you do move here..

As to freedoms, your about 25 years to late.. kidding in a way, however freedoms here are not what they once were...and that I am not kidding about...The planet has become so politically correct its enough to make you puke.. BUT still a pretty cool place to live...based on my conversations on this site, we have many firearms freedoms many no longer enjoy...sad but true story..

Here in the gold old US of A, you will find a variety of calibers being carried..the guys I workout with from the local Sherriff's office carry Colt 1911's in 45ACP...local police carry mostly 9mms Glocks..friends of mine in the Forest Service here carry Sig 40's...so, take your pick..

Ripp

--------------------

Rule303
.416 member

#288542 - 01/10/16 07:13 AM

Re the cast lead bullets. I have fired several thousand cast lead bullets through my Glock 22 with no ill effect. Didn't hear about the Glock warning of not using lead projectiles in the polygon barrels until several thousand had gone through the barrel. In my 19 I use coated lead bullets ratted to 1500fps from memory. I did clean the 22 with a mag of jacketed rounds at the end of each range session and a cyclone brush. No need for this when using coated lead.

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 15 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 7991

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com