Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Best handgun for self defense

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Handguns

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: Best handgun for self defense [Re: Der_Jaeger]
      #144075 - 21/10/09 03:37 PM

Quote:

I carry a S&W model 640. .357 Mag with a 2" barrel

Your gun's little brother, a .38:

Leather by yours truly...

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Empire375
.300 member

Reged: 18/08/09
Loc: Victoria, Australia
Re: Best handgun for self defense [Re: 9.3x57]
      #144084 - 21/10/09 07:33 PM

I just wish I could have a handgun !
Sadly in Australia only druglords and crims are qualified to have em !!

Der_Jaeger
.375 member

Reged: 09/10/08
Loc: SE Pennsylvania
Re: Best handgun for self defense [Re: Empire375]
      #144087 - 21/10/09 10:14 PM

Quote:

Sadly, that is the very expected outcome when honest, law-abiding citizens CANNOT have them.

--------------------

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: Best handgun for self defense [Re: Der_Jaeger]
      #144095 - 22/10/09 01:16 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Sadly, that is the very expected outcome when honest, law-abiding citizens CANNOT have them.

AGREED--find it aweful ironic---the largest number of firearms sales in history in the U.S. and crime is at a 50 year low per an article I read a few days ago..you would think the politicans would get their heads out of their ass and realize that..but as we all know it has nothing to do with facts..but more so to move forward with their personal political agenda..

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

500grains
.416 member

Reged: 16/02/04
Loc: Salt Lake City, Utah USA
Re: Best handgun for self defense [Re: Ripp]
      #144100 - 22/10/09 02:25 AM

Best is relative I suppose. What is best and what is easy to carry are two different things. A great handgun that gets left home due to its size or weight does not do anyone any good.

The Ti or Sc S&W .357 revolvers get my vote when travelling in non-hostile areas. It fits IWB or in the pants pocket no problemo.

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Best handgun for self defense [Re: 500grains]
      #144104 - 22/10/09 02:57 AM

Handguns? M29 4" would be my favourite for carry but isn't legal here at this time, for me. If my back gets straightened up and I get into guiding full time in my retirement, then my old 4" will be my companion in the bush. The 275gr. SWC at 1,210fps works well in my revolver.
I used to pack one just like it when a policeman - eons ago, loaded with 180gr. JHC Sierra's at 1,550fps - that was a descent self-defence load for 2 legged critters - easy to hit with, accurate and good on vehicle penetration as well as my actual testing showed. Never got to use it in self defence - maybe that's good.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

mehulkamdar
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/04
Loc: State of Ill-Annoy USA.
Re: Best handgun for self defense [Re: DarylS]
      #144317 - 24/10/09 08:48 AM

COnsidering that I live in that land of peaceful dead people aka the murder capital of the USA, Chicago Ill-Annoy, where no one needs to carry a gun, and considering that I had asked a question about this some time ago here and received excellent advice, I have two .38 cal revolvers at home - one a Colt Detective Special and the other an old Iver Johnson which is useless unless you put it onto a target and fire. My wife is small made and has a weakness as she broke her arms when she was a child and cannot tolerate recoil - the Detective Special works for her.

I have been looking at buying an automatic pistol for myself and recently tried and then shot one of the new SIGs with the Short Reset Trigger and I really loved it. It will be my at home pistol shortly.

--------------------
The Ark was made by amateurs. Experts built the Titanic.

Mehul Kamdar

ChinaFleetSailor
.224 member

Reged: 19/11/05
Re: Best handgun for self defense [Re: Empire375]
      #145330 - 07/11/09 02:30 PM

Quote:

Which is unfortunately the case in most of the world.

I've been reading a lot of responses from members from your part of the world, who for the most part are of the opinion that you don't need handguns in Australia.

Fair enough.

But I would counter that if you wait until there is a need, it won't be available.

Most cops in the states will never need their handgun. Most will make it through their careers without ever drawing it from their holsters.

Frankly, I'd say that our attachment to our handguns is just a reflection of our attachment to our rights, and we exercise them not so much because there is a need but instead simply because we can.

DarylS
.700 member

Re: Best handgun for self defense [Re: mehulkamdar]
      #145364 - 08/11/09 06:10 AM

Mel- for a few years I used a M1911 for IPSC and came to love the gun for that purpose. For a self-defence gun, I'd gravitate to the larger bore and .45 just seems right. Speer's 200gr. Flying Ashtrays worked well in my .45 at right around 1,000fps.

--------------------
Daryl

Checkman
.333 member

Reged: 15/03/08
Loc: Idaho
      #145382 - 08/11/09 12:05 PM

I carry a GLOCK 19 as my duty gun. For backup and off duty I go between my GLOCK 26 and my S&W Model 49 Bodyguard. However there are times that I will carry my G19 off duty. Especially in the winter when heavy coats and sweaters are the norm.

The S&W Model 49 tends to see more carry time in the summer in an ankle holster. It might not be the perfect arrangement but it beats nothing at all.

I guess it's blasphemy to say this on Nitroexpress, but I like the 9mm. I also like 38 special and .357 magnum. Never been a big fan of the 4 calibers. No reason just me.

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: Best handgun for self defense [Re: Checkman]
      #145392 - 08/11/09 01:32 PM

Quote:

I guess it's blasphemy to say this on Nitroexpress, but I like the 9mm.

No disagreement here.

Or put another way, based on shooting butcher stock, dogs, coyotes and other varmints, trapped and Born Free, I'm not particularly impressed with any service pistol cartridge.

But I like the 9x19 NATO.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

88MauSporter
.375 member

Reged: 06/06/07
Loc: Alaska / Texas
Re: Best handgun for self defense [Re: 9.3x57]
      #145394 - 08/11/09 02:53 PM

I have carried a number of handguns over my several (many) years. Early 1970's in Alaska I carried a Colt model .357, .357 Magnum. It was rugged and accurate with full load 158 grain jacketed or hard cast. I could feel fairly confident for about any situation. I couldn't afford a .44 mag then. My .44 cap and ball gun did fairly well also, but I usually ended up carrying my Cold woodsman for pot meat.

When I was in law enforcement, I carried .357 M.66 S&W 4 inch, 9MM Berreta or a well worn but battle ready .45 1911 A1. I never felt undergunned with any one. As concealed carry, I carried a Colt Agent 2 inch. It is very light, holds 6 round to the J frame S&W 5. It was always on my belly band holster, inside the waistband holster or a nifty ankle rig. I used 125 gr +P. I still carry it or a S&W .38 like 9.3s.
Now that I am back in Alaska (all law abbiding citizens can carry here), I am going through the debate again. With bear attack not unheard of, even in populated areas the last few years, I am think about my.45 Colt SA with heavy cast bullet or one of my Webley's with 260 grain when we are out hiking, fishing or cross-country skiing. No, it isn't a .454 Cas. or a .500 S&W, but it is what I have and they do have a good reputation for deep penetration and knock down. I guess I could also pull out the old 1911 again as well. As far as best handgun for self defense? I guess it depends on what you are most likely to run into.
this is a good post thread. I has been running since 2003!

--------------------
"A hunter should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everthing goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." 88MauSporter

Checkman
.333 member

Reged: 15/03/08
Loc: Idaho
Re: Best handgun for self defense [Re: 88MauSporter]
      #145435 - 09/11/09 03:09 AM

9.3X57

Quote:

Or put another way, based on shooting butcher stock, dogs, coyotes and other varmints, trapped and Born Free, I'm not particularly impressed with any service pistol cartridge.

But I like the 9x19 NATO.

You know the old saying about only bringing a handgun if you know you're going to be in a gunfight. However as a cop the handgun is what I always have on my belt and I thinks it's important to have confidence in your ability with the handgun as well as the caliber you use.

I used to carry the Sig Sauer P220 in 45 acp. I was a good shot with it, but I have always preferred the 9mm Parabellum. I don't care what all the tactical gurus say I like having magazines with seventeen cartridges (I carry the G17 mags for my reload) and with my smallish hands I don't feel comfortable with the GLOCK 21 - which is the model carried by the majority of officers with my department. Yes I can shoot the G21 and I can qualify with it, but I don't like that big blocky grip. Don't even like the G21SF with it's slimmer grips design. I worry that under stress I might fumble the G21 and I believe that a locak of confidence can be fatal. And again I like having lots of bullets. It's probably all in my head but I like having lots of bullets.

I can get hold of the G19 grip and put the bullets on target.That's important to me.

I carry the Federal 124 grain +P HST jacketed hollowpoint. Good load. The 45 guys carry the 230 grain +P HST Jacketed Hollowpoint in case you're curious.

mehulkamdar
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/04
Loc: State of Ill-Annoy USA.
      #145446 - 09/11/09 03:59 AM

Daryl,

Thanks for the suggestion. I shall check one of the 1911s out. They always confuse me because there are so many different brands and variations in configuration and price ranging from well below $ 1000 to over $ 3500. With the SIGs there is less confusion and they have a buyback for "clunker" handguns in the USA at the moment. I thought I'd get rid of some junk that I have . . .

Good hunting!

--------------------
The Ark was made by amateurs. Experts built the Titanic.

Mehul Kamdar

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: Best handgun for self defense [Re: ChinaFleetSailor]
      #149272 - 02/01/10 05:07 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Which is unfortunately the case in most of the world.

I've been reading a lot of responses from members from your part of the world, who for the most part are of the opinion that you don't need handguns in Australia.

Fair enough.

But I would counter that if you wait until there is a need, it won't be available.

Most cops in the states will never need their handgun. Most will make it through their careers without ever drawing it from their holsters.

Frankly, I'd say that our attachment to our handguns is just a reflection of our attachment to our rights, and we exercise them not so much because there is a need but instead simply because we can.

Read with NEW insight into this thread. Spent most of last week in Houston.. not exactly a crime free area in the U.S. --the next door neighbor to my sister and her husband is a 24 year veteran of the Houston Policy department. He basically stated what has been said in this thread so many times...if you are in a situation that requires the police you had better be able and prepared to handle it yourself with "your weapon"..because in most cases by the time the cops get there all will be over and the only thing they are doing is filling out police reports...He was a very strong proponent for one being able to carry a handgun and protect yourself. There is NO way cops can or should be everywhere...which, I guess, is why the states with the "right to carry" laws here in many cases have lower incidences of ugly crimes that states who don't...

My time there only reiterated the fact you have to be able to take care of yourself..whether that is with a handgun, martial arts training, or whatever...

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

86thecat
.224 member

Reged: 14/07/05
Loc: Black Hills SD, USA
Re: Best handgun for self defense [Re: Ripp]
      #157781 - 29/03/10 06:17 PM

My choice for every day carry is a Glock 20 10mm in a Galco Jackass shoulder rig. Load full house 180gn XTP's in town and 200gn soft points in the woods. Don't find the recoil any heavier than a compact G27 in 40S&W. Recoil in a steel framed 10mm pistol though seems harsher. IMHO the 10mm is still very much alive and the best choice for a concealable city & trail gun. For true wilderness the 454 gets the call.

kamilaroi
.400 member

Reged: 18/12/04
Loc: sydney, new south wales, Austr...
Re: Best handgun for self defense [Re: 86thecat]
      #157788 - 29/03/10 08:47 PM

"Tactical". How much the frock does that mataphor bore the living crap out of me!

(aka big kid/d***k on block syndrome)

BigBoreRS
.224 member

Reged: 17/02/07
Loc: Hyderabad,India
Re: Best handgun for self defense [Re: kamilaroi]
      #164956 - 25/07/10 03:14 PM

Given a choice, I would carry a Ruger SP101 in 357 Mag. I think it is a good option keeping in mind that is it easily concealable. I understand that it only has 5 rounds but if you cant stop an aggressor with 5 rounds of 357 Mag, then he dosent deserve to be stopped.

My 2 cents!

BigBoreRS

--------------------
Its not the gun, its the man behind the gun!

Homer
.416 member

Reged: 07/04/09
Loc: Canberra, Australia
Re: Best handgun for self defense [Re: BigBoreRS]
      #164964 - 25/07/10 06:29 PM

G'Day Fella's,

BigBoreRS, I have to agree with you as the SP 101 in .357 Mag is a Sweet Little Revolver!
You are correct, they are a Five Shot but that is no real disadvantage unless there are 6 or More Villains attacking you!

Unfortunately, Australians are no longer trusted with a .357 Mag SP 101, as the longest barrel its available in, is 3 1/2" and 4" is the minimum barrel length we are trusted with!

HooRoo
From
Homer

--------------------
"Beware the Lolly Pop of Mediocrity,
Lick it Once and You Will Suck Forever"

taw1126
.333 member

Reged: 24/07/07
Loc: Texas
Re: Best handgun for self defense [Re: BigBoreRS]
      #165002 - 26/07/10 03:22 PM

Quote:

I would carry a Ruger SP101 in 357 Mag. I think it is a good option keeping in mind that is it easily concealable.

BigBoreRS

"Easily concealable" varies tremendously depending on your environment and how many hours per day you're going to carry the thing. I have two .45 ACP 1911's (full-size Colt Gunsite, and Commander-length Ed Brown) and they are my favorite self defense platform. Toting around a couple of magazines worth of standard-pressure 230 grain bonded hollow points will give you a comforting feeling. But it's not necessarily comfortable, and it's very difficult to "accessibly conceal" a 1911 under business casual clothing even with very high quality gunleather (Milt Sparks' VM-II is my personal favorite). So I rarely carry a 1911.

For several years I carried a little Kel-Tec P3AT (.380 ACP) in a pocket holster. Extremely light, and simply vanishes in the front pocket of dress slacks. I carried mine with FMJs to maximize the potential for reaching something vital but I've never been comfortable staking my safety on the .380 ACP. I still own a .380 PPK but it's really heavy for the firepower it provides, and I only keep it around for the James Bond factor.

A few months ago I bought a 9mm Kahr PM9 for pocket carry. It's a small pistol, but still much heavier and larger than the Kel-Tec. I can pocket-carry it, but it "prints" worse in dress pants due to the additional size & weight. The upside is that I'm toting around 147 grain bonded hollow points that pass the FBI's penetration tests instead of the 90-grain FMJs.

I guess my points are as follows:
- it's only worth owning if you have it with you
- there's a very real trade-off between firepower and ease of carry/concealment
- what looks good in the store or on paper might be a real bitch to deal with when you try to conceal it for any length of time
- be realistic about the amount of training you're going to do, and what you're going to be capable of in the confusion/stress/excitement/fog of a life threatening situation

bigmaxx
.375 member

Reged: 13/06/07
Loc: Bowling Green KY U.S.A.
Re: Best handgun for self defense [Re: Nick_Adams]
      #165016 - 26/07/10 11:46 PM

Well, I cant get a Remington 870 in my pocket, but I can my model 37 S&W! My prefered defensive handgun is a Glock 21 (.45 acp +p), 3rd generation with nite sights. I sometimes carry a Ruger Speed Six in .357 Magnum. Don't underestimate revolvers. They are great defensive tools. I also own and carry: Ruger LCP, Glock 19, Ruger Super Blackhawk SS 4 5/8" Magnaport.

--------------------
One day at a time...

DarylS
.700 member

Re: Best handgun for self defense [Re: bigmaxx]
      #165018 - 26/07/10 11:56 PM

I firmly believe the BEST self defence handgun for anyone is one that has sufficient power, and that can be shot accurately and swiftly by you.

--------------------
Daryl

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 27 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 42080

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com