Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Best handgun for self defense

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Handguns

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)
iqbal
resigned as a member

Reged: 05/02/03
Loc: Karachi,Pakistan
Best handgun for self defense
      #2733 - 10/05/03 02:04 AM

The answer to this question may be debatable but personally i rate the 9mm.as the most suitable and versatile in the sense that it can be used by other members of the family i.e. wife,teenage son & daughter.As far as stopping power is concerned it may be on the lower side as compared to a 45 or 357 mag.but then these weapons are not easy to handle and require lots of practise.
The other gun that i prefer and sometimes carry is the 32mag.snub nose by Charter Arms.At close range this one is lethal,especially when using hollow points.
What are your preferances.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DaveJames
.275 member

Reged: 04/01/03
Loc: Tidewater,Virginia
Re: Best handgun for self defense [Re: iqbal]
      #2783 - 12/05/03 07:24 PM

igbal, I have carried a hand gun of one type or another for over 30 years now,and have tried just about every new one that has come on the market here in the States, for work its the department issued SIG-229 in 40 calibere,for off duty its the 220 in 38super, I carry a Khar in 9mm as a back up and a Kel-tec in 32acp in the vest pocket on the body armour,for just bumming around the woods I use my old pre-model 27, 3 1/2" bbl. in 357mag. shooting the standard Keith load.
Your 9mm will work,and if you can shoot the hollow point load, thats better

--------------------
"I am always willing to learn,but not always willing to be taught."
Sir Winston Churchill

Nick_Adams
.300 member

Reged: 20/12/03
Loc: USA
Re: Best handgun for self defense [Re: DaveJames]
      #7004 - 16/01/04 08:38 AM

While a lot of people in the U.S. like the old .45acp, many speak very highly of the 10mm AUTO.

This cartridge was developed in the early 1980s. It was heralded as the perfect service round for law enforcement and military use by well-known .45 guru Jeff Cooper. Many here feels it's currently the most versatile and powerful cartridge you can fit into a pistol of reasonable size and weight. Loaded ammo is available not only in many bullet weights & styles, but also in power levels.

The 10mm offers more knock-down punch than a 45acp or 9mm, while also, in certain pistols, having a mag capacity level closer (or equal) to a 9mm - except in the U.S. where, in the absence of owning any so-called high capacity "pre-ban" mags, a buyer is typically limited to "post-ban" 10rd mags (regardless of caliber).

10mm pistols are available from Glock (20 & 29), Kimber, Dan Wesson, and Tanfaglio (the Witness, in large & compact models). Some older used guns also exist in 10mm, like the S&W series (10XX - 1006; 1076), and Colt's Delta Elite)

--------------------

Remember ...

"Only accurate rifles are interesting."

.300 H&H.

NONE
.300 member

Reged: 15/12/03
Re: Best handgun for self defense [Re: Nick_Adams]
      #7007 - 16/01/04 10:04 AM

I carry and prefer the .45APC. I have over the years tried them all but I keep going back to the .45 . I find that for myself its the most knock down power in a small controllable package, I prefer the Colt Commander lightweight series, full length grip for control yet shorter slide for concealed carry and light weight.

I am a bit biased toward the .45 after carrying one for a career for some time in custom built colts of various types and stocked with the 230gr federal hydra-shock I always felt well protected.

I to loved the idea of the 10mm and belive it to be a wonderful cartridge, its only draw back for me and the reason I don't carry one is the recoil and affect it has on my second shot quick double tap and multiple string accuracy. I carried a custom Bren-Ten years ago one of the first 10mm to come out and love the pistol as well as the Delta Elite.

As always practice and bullet placement is much more important the caliber with in reason. I do not feel under gunned with a .380 if need be because I trust my shooting and bullet placement, the saying goes "a .44mag at home is not near the stopper as a .22 in the pocket when you need it" (Clint Smith) My sea camp .32 is a backup because I don't feel safe with it as a "bad situation" stopper but in certain times it beats nothing.

James F. Nixon III

Holmes
.300 member

Reged: 01/12/03
Loc: Wyoming, USA
      #9516 - 19/02/04 04:49 PM

I'm a 45ACP guy. Not opposed to the others, but I've carried for a living and three decades of 1911-style conditioning does not convert easily!

Most of my time has been spent with Colts but I switched several years ago to Kimbers. Current carry piece is an Ultra Compact. Very dependable and recoil is reasonable. Eats most anything I feed it.

Regards,

luv2safari
.400 member

Reged: 09/11/03
Loc: United States
      #9613 - 20/02/04 03:41 PM

For my personal use I prefer my 45ACP LW Commander. To have for ready use by household members and for the wife...38 spl/357 DA revolver with a 3"-4" barrel. I like a Smith on a K frame.

I think that simple is better for those who don't use handguns often enough to be familiar with a semi-auto...even in DA.IMHO

--------------------
Hunt with Class and Classics

Bigfive
Sponsor

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Freestate,South-Africa
Re: Best handgun for self defense [Re: luv2safari]
      #9632 - 20/02/04 06:05 PM

My personal favourite is a 9mm CZ 75 wich I carry with me at all times.(you have to if living in South-Africa ,)
I think the reason is totally personal and you cant tell anybody wich is better.It is what you are comfortable with shooting.Left and right I can group all 16 my shots in a 4" grouping at 15 meters wich I think is absolutly enough for self defence.I battle to shoot revolvers and this is why my 38 S&W never gets used.
Coiuncidently I am in the market for another handgun for my wife but I'll let her shoot a couple before SHE makes HER decision.I only made a few suggestions but it is up to her.

To get back to the question most of the stats I ever came across showed that a 9mm is the ideal.

If a guy pulls a knife on me I would'nt mind pulling a 454 Casull.Just imagine the look on the batards face

--------------------
"Hunting is a way of life"
Bigfive,South Africa

ChuckWagon
.275 member

Reged: 09/02/04
Re: Best handgun for self defense [Re: Bigfive]
      #9638 - 20/02/04 11:53 PM

I carry a Kimber 45. My wife uses a Smith Airweight Ti in 38+P with Laser grips. Its reliable fast and BRUTAL to shoot !

--------------------
Life is more like a jar of Jalapeno's than a box of chocolates. What you do today might burn your butt tomorrow !

Hobie
.224 member

Reged: 15/01/04
Loc: Staunton, VA, USA
      #9691 - 21/02/04 07:40 AM

For years I carried a .45 Colt Combat Commander. Given the clothing I was wearing, it was easy to conceal AND with small kids in the house, I wasn't going to leave a gun out anyway. At night I took it off and then set it up at bedside. However...

The wife took exception to my having a cocked pistol next to the bed. Explanations of the mechanics were futile. Now the kids are grown, the daily clothing and work schedule have changed and has been easier to have a S&W M13 3" or Ruger Speed-Six (both .357s) for both uses. When I leave the house (I now do most of my non-profit work at the house), it is easy to pick it up and go. The springs are always at rest and the cartridge will do what I want including required applications at the farm.

Sometimes either of these guns is just too big. Then I carry a S&W M36. Very little transition needed.

I have used an alternative which I consider inadequate for winter work due to the heavy clothing some people might be wearing. That is the Pistolet Makarov using the 9x18mm cartridge. Pluses include low cost (VERY important to some people) of both the firearm and the ammo (which you can get for $60 for 500 rounds delivered!), light recoil (like the .38 Special), moderate capacity (8-9 rounds or more), and the double action feature (which makes MY wife very happy). Negatives are the bulk of the gun for the round utilized, what might be considered under-penetration by the 9x18 HP round, relatively limited effective range (compared to the heavier .38/.357 and .45 bullets), and limited range of support equipment such as holsters (although this has improved).

Most people don't have to use their carry gun on the farm but many do have families with whom they want to or must interact and whose skill set they must consider. For me, a .357 Magnum or .38 Special level load (including the 9x18mm Makarov) in a double action pistol or revolver.

--------------------
Sincerely,

Hobie
"Duty is the rent we pay for life." The Queen Mother
116th Infantry Regiment "The Stonewall Brigade"

M82A1Barret50Cal
.275 member

Reged: 12/04/04
Loc: ACT, Australia
Re: Best handgun for self defense [Re: Hobie]
      #13847 - 22/04/04 02:33 PM

Unfortunatly we are not allowd to carry handguns for self defence in Australia. If we could though...

.22!!! It is the easiest to shoot due to low recoil. All self defence happens at very close range and at 10 metres a .22 will do plenty of damage to said target. If you miss with a big cal handgun then you want to be able to make a very quick follow up shot and you are going to get a follow up shot in a heck of alot quicker with a .22 than you will with any other cal. Just remember this, a .22 bullet that hits will always do more damage than a .50cal bullet that misses!!!

M82A1

iqbal
resigned as a member

Reged: 05/02/03
Loc: Karachi,Pakistan
Re: Best handgun for self defense [Re: M82A1Barret50Cal]
      #13880 - 23/04/04 03:25 AM

Agreed a .22 is easier to shoot and has less recoil,but its not a stopper i.e.unless you hit a vital organ.For self defense you perhaps need a caliber which will stop the perpetrator in his tracks and not allow him to fire back.The trauma or shock of a heavy caliber can do this.

M82A1Barret50Cal
.275 member

#14005 - 26/04/04 06:52 PM

If you shoot someone in the knee then in the shoulder, even with a .22 they are going to be in too much pain to get another shot in...

M82A1

475Guy
.400 member

Reged: 22/08/03
Loc: Kali, US
      #14036 - 27/04/04 11:51 AM

Not necessarily, there are documented cases where someone was hit with a 22 and the shootee killed the shooter by beating him to death. If the ass-hole is under the influence by either drugs of choice or alcohol or both, he won't feel a damn thing. I can't give you specifics as that would be time consuming trying to go through thousands and thousands of cases done by the FBI's NCIC.

--------------------
Lo do they call to me,
They bid me take my place among
them in the Halls of Valhalla,
Where the brave may live forever.

M82A1Barret50Cal
.275 member

Re: Best handgun for self defense [Re: 475Guy]
      #14048 - 27/04/04 08:11 PM

Hmmm, I never really thought about the effects drugs would have on someone's ability to feel pain. Now that you mention it I seem to remember hearing about someone having their heart pulped by bullets while they were on PCP and the person got up and continued attacking. Well know that I've thought about it you may have just changed my opinion, if we are ever allowd to have a handgun for self defence in Australia or if I ever move to a country where I am allowd one I might go for something a bit bigger now, probably a .357mag or a .38 special or maybe even bigger. Thanks mentioning that because it may just save my life one day in the future, 20 years from now...

M82A1

475Guy
.400 member

#14190 - 01/05/04 12:41 PM

Dude, don't count on twenty years from now. Shit happens every day and with some bad luck going my way, I've had it happen more often than not. When you get complacent, that's when it'll catch up with you. I've been told that I look around me (360) for no reason. Little do they know. If I seem to expect anything to happen, then I'm mentally prepared for it because it didn't surprise me. Since you guys down there are limited to .355 to .357 size, get the hottest load/gun combination that you can handle.

--------------------
Lo do they call to me,

M82A1Barret50Cal
.275 member

#14198 - 01/05/04 06:19 PM

1 problem though, we are not allowd handguns for self defence so that why I said in 20 years, if I decide to move overseas (or the government decides to stop being an asshole).

M82A1

475Guy
.400 member

#14199 - 01/05/04 10:28 PM

Well then, good luck on your relocation. When man's law abrogates God's law for self-defense, it is time to move. We got to remember that Moses was told that it is the duty of the good citizen to do in the wrongdoer.

--------------------
Lo do they call to me,

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #14209 - 02/05/04 03:41 AM

In reply to:

If you shoot someone in the knee then in the shoulder, even with a .22 they are going to be in too much pain to get another shot in...

Victorian police training is to shoot them and keep shooting them until they are on the ground. As they ca still cover a fair distance with a knife even when fatally wounded. Something the media would not believe having watched too much TV.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

475Guy
.400 member

Re: Best handgun for self defense [Re: NitroX]
      #14211 - 02/05/04 06:49 AM

Nitro, you bring up an interesting point. Stateside, it is commonly called the 21 Feet rule discovered and put forth on paper by then-peace officer, Dennis Tueller of Salt Lake City PD, Utah.

--------------------
Lo do they call to me,

rgp
.333 member

Reged: 17/06/04
Loc: TX & VIC
      #15900 - 17/06/04 06:35 PM

1911's are neat but if I were still carrying a handgun for protection from meanies I'd probably go for a SIG in .45 acp or .357 SIG or a Glock in 9mm. They seem to be better out of the box than most 1911's. That said, I like 1911's a hell of a lot better than any of the Yurp guns.

Also regarding the 10mm, the only police officer I know of who had to use one on a bad guy immediately got rid of the 10 and went back to carrying a .45 acp...he said the 10 was pretty much a failure.

Currently the only handguns I own are single action revolvers since I am not in any business requiring social interaction.

Richard

cowboyhat
.224 member

Reged: 31/05/04
Loc: Indiana
      #16002 - 20/06/04 07:16 AM

The best handgun for your personal defense and the defense of your family, is on you have confidence in and you can shoot well. I have carried them all, 380, 357, 44 mag and 45 ACP. I prefer the 45, but any in a gun that you can shoot well, will put down your assailant, and keep him down.

--------------------
RJW

It is not about being the fastest, and it is not even about being the most accurate....it is about being willing

ALAN_MCKENZIE
.400 member

Reged: 24/03/04
Loc: Western Australia
      #17739 - 09/08/04 09:56 PM

Well I hate to dissagree with you fella's however the best close range defence weapon is a REMINGTON 870 Pump loaded with OO Buckshot.
Ive never seen anybody survive a good dose of OO buck.
Its a bit messy but who cares.
Al

--------------------
"Dogs always bark at their master"
Sir Seretse Khama.25th June 1949

Gibbs505
.333 member

Reged: 09/08/03
Loc: BC, Canada
      #19096 - 09/09/04 02:12 PM

A couple of shoots into the head and it won't matter what drugs they are on!!

--------------------
So I can't spell, so what?

Those who beat their swords into ploughshares, will plough for those who don't!

Those who fail to learn from history will be doomed to repeat it

475Guy
.400 member

Re: Best handgun for self defense [Re: Gibbs505]
      #19103 - 09/09/04 08:36 PM

Only if the dude stands still when you pull out your iron. Every time I've had to pull mine out, there was an automatic reaction in trying to duck on their part. Gotta remember that these street toughs have had various weapons pulled on them on a regular basis.

--------------------
Lo do they call to me,

Nick_Adams
.300 member

Reged: 20/12/03
      #19151 - 12/09/04 11:04 AM

Get a 10mm Auto, like the Glock 20. The G20 holds 15 rounds of 10mm, which, in its mid-to-high performance range, has more "knock-down" punch than either the .45acp or the 9mm wuss ball.

Double Tap Ammo, Texas Ammo, Corbon, Georgia Arms, ProLoad and a number of others produce full-strength 10mm loads.

As 10mm fans in the States like to say:

"When you're finally serious about stopping power, then you're ready for the 10mm Auto."

Nick Adams carries a 10mm. You should too.

--------------------

Remember ...

"Only accurate rifles are interesting."

.300 H&H.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 16 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 41867

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com