Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: stopping small animals

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Handguns

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Tatume
.400 member

Reged: 09/06/07
Loc: Gloucester, Va USA
stopping small animals
      #159185 - 19/04/10 05:41 AM

Hello Folks,

Several years ago I switched from 230 gr Golden Saber ammo to 185 gr +P Golden Saber in my 45 ACP carry gun. My brother was bitten by a rabid fox, and I decided that this was at least as great a risk as two-legged threats. Now I'm considering changing ammo again. I have a couple of ideas, but if any of you have experience, I'd like to hear about it.

What is the most effective ammo in the 45 ACP for stopping a rabid animal? I'm leaning towards the Glaser 145 gr #12 shot cartridge, but want to hear from experienced woodsmen.

http://www.safetyslug.com/

Thanks.

--------------------
Take care, Tom
NRA Life Member

Edited by Tatume (19/04/10 08:21 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
poprivit
.333 member

Reged: 09/04/07
Loc: Las Vegas, NV
Re: stopping small animals [Re: Tatume]
      #159189 - 19/04/10 08:14 AM

You want the animal go go down with a good hit? Stick with your current load. Shot is not very effective past 10 feet. Especially #12. (Known here in Nevada as "dust".)

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: stopping small animals [Re: poprivit]
      #159193 - 19/04/10 10:52 AM

Tom, I think the Glasers might be perfect for small critters. Only problem is they are pricey and shooting alot is the key to killing small stuff with a handgun.

We shoot varmints quite a bit with our sixguns and pistols. Here are a couple from the past week or so.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

Shackleton
.300 member

Reged: 11/08/07
Loc: Iowa
Re: stopping small animals [Re: 9.3x57]
      #159195 - 19/04/10 11:06 AM

I agree that shot in a handgun is a poor choice for actually killing something-I was messing with some and shot a piece of corrugated cardboard at about 10 yards. The shot didn't even penetrate both walls. I shook the cardboard and could hear the pellets rattling inside. This isn't reinforced stuff either-just the layer dividers that Walmart puts between bags of meat in the boxes. The box will have 2-4 bags of meat, each with 2-6 individual packages in it. These dividers make great targets, so I have them save me 20 or 30 at a time. If the pellets wuldn't go through cardboard I wouldn't trust them to kill a starling, much less something with rabies.

--------------------
"I do not kill with my gun, he who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father. I kill with my heart."--Stephen King

450_366
.400 member

Reged: 17/01/07
Loc: Sweden, west-coast.
Re: stopping small animals [Re: Shackleton]
      #159200 - 19/04/10 03:40 PM

Its not a #12 shot shell gentlemen, its a "varmint" bullet, see the link.

--------------------
Andreas

"Yeas it kicks like a mule he said, but always remember that its much worse standing on the other end"

Tatume
.400 member

Re: stopping small animals [Re: 450_366]
      #159207 - 19/04/10 08:55 PM

According to Cor-Bon:

The #12 shot is capped with a Blue ball. It produces immediate energy
dispersal, creating abrupt stopping power. It is optimally designed for
warmer climates and lighter clothing.

The larger #6 shot is capped with a Silver ball. It will typically give an additional two inches
soft tissue penetration, controlled energy release and target accuracy
with a self-defense handgun. This load is designed for colder climates and
heavier clothing.

Caliber: 45 Auto Plus P
Bullet Wt.: 145gr
Velocity: 1350fps
Energy: 587 ft lbs
Test Barrel Length: 5.0 Inches

--------------------
Take care, Tom
NRA Life Member

9.3x57
.450 member

#159213 - 19/04/10 10:34 PM

I think they are confusing Glasers with pistol shot shells. I've shot some numbers of critters, mostly rabbits, with pistol shotshells and as mentioned, they are pretty poor performers.

Glasers are IMO rightly criticised for shallow penetration and overall poor performance for defensive work due to the fact that they cannot penetrate barriers, etc, but as I suggested above, actually, for small animals I think they should be perfect; foxes, cats, skunks, etc.

But as mentioned, the biggest problem with stopping small stuff is hitting it. That takes lots of practice.

We have rabies here, but it is confined mostly to the bat population. We are now facing a new vector though, wolves, and that leads many to wonder what might occur if rabies gets into the wolf population as it did in 1916 when the disastrous rabies epidemic spread thru the US West. Over 1500 people bitten, many died. Wolves cover so much ground so quickly, that the possibility for fast spread of the disease is certainly more likely now than it was before they were introduced. Rabies was one of the many reasons wolves were extirpated.

One only needs to think for a moment about setting up camp, or taking a walk, or sitting on the creekbank fishing, or logging, or some other such activity when a rabid wolf {or any other critter, coyote for example} comes boiling out of the brush with your thigh in mind. Maybe the endemic condition of rabies was the real reason Westerners packed sixguns back in the day...

Regardless, we take every opportunity to practise with our pistols and always have. Good practise and we keep the woods as clean as possible of trash, too. For example, I "Elmered" another big black cat at the garbage dump last Friday with my .44. Nosler 240 JHP over 18.5 grains 2400 {my standard load} and it died fast.

But don't expect even little stuff to give up quick when shot with service pistols and hardball. The .45 ACP, 9x19, .38 Special, etc, are really poor performers when stoked with military FMJ's. We use military ammo and service pistols for butcher stock shooting {it's cheap and we use mostly head shots} and can vouch for the really lousy performance of hardball even in .45 ACP on all manner of critters from squirrels to dogs to sheep, etc.

Glasers are too pricey for me but they should work on the small critters really well I think.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #159218 - 19/04/10 10:53 PM

I-too was a bit surprised with the lack of knowledge on the Glasers - they've been around since the late 70's. Perhaps my library is more extensive than others. Those bullets, which are probably a good choice in a .45 for fox, have been noted and mentioned in about every gun annual since the 70's. G&A, Handloader and Gun Digest - with many articles on them over the years.

Maybe I'm merely getting a bit long in the tooth. I also remember stuff that's been out of print for decades.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Shackleton
.300 member

Reged: 11/08/07
Loc: Iowa
Re: stopping small animals [Re: DarylS]
      #159234 - 20/04/10 12:38 PM

I'll admit I thought the OP was talking about shotshells. Haven't seen the Glasers that were mentioned for several years, and actually thought they had been taken off the market. Looks like I was wrong.

--------------------
"I do not kill with my gun, he who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father. I kill with my heart."--Stephen King

tophet1
.400 member

Reged: 15/09/07
Loc: NSW, Australia
Re: stopping small animals [Re: Shackleton]
      #159243 - 20/04/10 07:31 PM

I'd use the Aussie method. Get the nearest big Waddy Stick and wail the @#%$ out of it.

Tatume
.400 member

Re: stopping small animals [Re: tophet1]
      #159247 - 20/04/10 08:33 PM

Quote:

I'd use the Aussie method. Get the nearest big Waddy Stick and wail the @#%$ out of it.

My brother did that. He is a forester, and this was not his first attack. The animal kept coming back, and finally he tripped and fell over backwards while fending off the animal. The fox rushed in and bit him. He eventually killed the animal and brought it with him to the hospital.

--------------------
Take care, Tom
NRA Life Member

beleg2
.375 member

Reged: 15/08/07
Loc: Bahía Blanca - Argentina
      #159249 - 20/04/10 09:06 PM

If he can use a revolver a load with 2 or 3 round balls looks good.(Daryl: )
Aslo, the new Taurus Judge shooting .410 slugs or RBs looks pretty good.
JMHO

Martin

9.3x57
.450 member

Re: stopping small animals [Re: beleg2]
      #159254 - 20/04/10 10:27 PM

We will soon be testing the Judge w/ various loads on paper and in the media. Initially, it looks...bad. Very inaccurate pistol tho I am thinking a CLOSE range shot load might be worked out using something like #2's for ranges just beyond where you can place your foot. Tho my buddy has killed a number of grouse with his, the gun throws very poor patterns. Initial impressions are that the short barreled gun shoot better patterns than the long barreled guns, probably due to the additional damage done to the shot column by the rifling in the longer tube {?}.

I really liked the concept of the gun, but the one I have used {not mine} is quite unimpressive.

.410 Buckshot is pretty poor stuff in the best guns, but in the Judge, well, we will see.

IIRC, John Wooters once wrote that the most dangerous charge he ever faced in his career was stopped with a .22 pistol, that being from a rabid fox. He and a friend were finishing a quail hunt and putting their guns in the rig when a fox came hauling out of the brush right toward John. He jerked the {Colt Woodsman?} out and killed the thing at a few feet.

Wherever we have long-roaming canids the rabies issue will rear its head again, no doubt.

--------------------

Tatume
.400 member

#159256 - 20/04/10 11:10 PM

I used to have a 10" 410/45 Colt barrel for the Contender. The shot patterns were very poor, with or without the "choke" insert. Also, 45 Colt ammo was very inaccurate. I traded it to someone who wanted it, in spite of all this.

--------------------
Take care, Tom
NRA Life Member

450_366
.400 member

Reged: 17/01/07
Loc: Sweden, west-coast.
      #159257 - 20/04/10 11:25 PM

Quote:

We will soon be testing the Judge w/ various loads on paper and in the media. Initially, it looks...bad. Very inaccurate pistol tho I am thinking a CLOSE range shot load might be worked out using something like #2's for ranges just beyond where you can place your foot. Tho my buddy has killed a number of grouse with his, the gun throws very poor patterns. Initial impressions are that the short barreled gun shoot better patterns than the long barreled guns, probably due to the additional damage done to the shot column by the rifling in the longer tube {?}.

I really liked the concept of the gun, but the one I have used {not mine} is quite unimpressive.

.410 Buckshot is pretty poor stuff in the best guns, but in the Judge, well, we will see.

IIRC, John Wooters once wrote that the most dangerous charge he ever faced in his career was stopped with a .22 pistol, that being from a rabid fox. He and a friend were finishing a quail hunt and putting their guns in the rig when a fox came hauling out of the brush right toward John. He jerked the {Colt Woodsman?} out and killed the thing at a few feet.

Wherever we have long-roaming canids the rabies issue will rear its head again, no doubt.

Is it rifled? That would account for the bad patterning, something to do with centrifugal forces i believe.

--------------------
Andreas

"Yeas it kicks like a mule he said, but always remember that its much worse standing on the other end"

DarylS
.700 member

Re: stopping small animals [Re: 450_366]
      #159259 - 21/04/10 12:50 AM

Multiple balls is not a bad idea and is one that should be tested.

Years ago, I purchased a Marlin .444 due to an article in Gun Digest on the Marlin .444 being one of the best survival guns. I never got around to trying shot loads in it, but did use shot loads in .444 brass in my .410 shotgun with excellent results, as good as comercial 2 1/2" shot shells.(which are better than 3")

The 'best' loads were with 3 .451" balls, sized down (lube sizer) to .430". These were loaded in triple ball loads, and would stay in about 13" at 100 yards, 3 or 4" 'patterns' at 50 yards.

Double or triple ball loads might be interesting in that .45/410 reveolver. Seems to me the shot load required 12gr. Unique was the load in a .444 or .410 hull. Pressure was not a problem at all with velocity in the 1,600 or 1,700fps range from the rifle. This gave virtually identical ballistic results to a .45 muzzleloader, except for the multiple balls making virtually instantaneous impact for even better results on 'game'. They were the 'assault' load for the .444. - 6 rounds of 3 balls each = 18 projectiles in a very short period of time delivered on target.

--------------------
Daryl

beleg2
.375 member

Reged: 15/08/07
Loc: Bahía Blanca - Argentina
      #159273 - 21/04/10 11:16 AM

This is was I was talking about:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttFslPwNEuc

There is an old/new idea, a multiple bullet (4 bullets IIRC).
I may try the Judge one day.

Martin

Edited by beleg2 (21/04/10 11:17 AM)

tinker
.416 member

Reged: 12/03/05
Loc: Nevada
Re: stopping small animals [Re: beleg2]
      #159274 - 21/04/10 01:50 PM

I once put three 180gr jacketed split hollowpoint bullets into a raccoon by way of a 1911, at about 5 feet distance, and the little bastard just cruised away down the driveway.
The first shot was center of mass, set him back a foot or two and he just looked up at me with a 'WTF?' kind of expression - the second one got him to step down a stair or two, and the third one finally got him into full retreat mode.

No exit.

Masked bandit made it off my lot, never saw it again - damn Oakland Coons.

Glaser Safety Slugs or shotshells? I don't know.
I think it (as it always seems to) boils down to solid CNS hits and good luck with anything else.

Cheers
Tinker

--------------------
--Self-Appointed Colonel, DRSS--

"It IS a dangerous game, and so named for a reason, and you can't play from the keyboard. " --Some Old Texan...

9.3x57
.450 member

Re: stopping small animals [Re: tinker]
      #159295 - 22/04/10 01:43 AM

Ramblings...

I don't trust any of the .410 roundball loads as they do not have sufficient velocity from a revolver to provide any hydraulic effect to tissues. Accuracy of the Judge has been very poor for us, and we need to work up better loads overall. I really wanted one badly for a grouse gun to carry while deer hunting, but my experience with the things is so poor that I think I might just buy a cheap 20 gauge single shot shotgun, saw it off to an 8 or so inch barrel, have a PolyChoke fitted, chop the stock down and of course pay Uncle Sam the 200 simolions for the Tax Stamp. The whole affair would still be cheaper than a combination gun!

CNS hits are of course the thing, but reality is they haven't occured for most of my pistoling. And we shoot a lot of little stuff with pistols on the ranch here and while trapping; coyotes, ragged out old layer hens, squirrels, skunks, dogs, cats, coons, etc, along with butcher stock.

Tinker's experience is common. I can relate experience after experience where a pistol shot has failed to stop a smaller animal decisively. Service pistols are poor stoppers because they simply do not have enough energy to "explosively" disrupt tissue AND penetrate like a high velocity rifle round does. With a pistol round, normally you get penetration OR substantial tissue disruption, but not both. And rarely except for the really high velocity rounds is tissue disruption massive.

We have over the years shot many, many critters with .22LR, .32 ACP, .22 Mag, .38 Spec, .38-200/.38 S&W {a real loser if there ever was one...}, 7.62x25, .357 SIG, 9x19, .44 Special, .45 ACP, .45 Colt, .44 Magnum, .357 Mag and all except the higher velocity loads in the high velocity rounds perform similarly and unimpressively. Just a few days ago I shot another Ground Squirrel with a solid body hit from a .44 Mag and had the animal crawl into its hole sporting its .44 cal hole. Normal.

From what I've observed, at impact speeds of about 1400 fps and above, SOME fairly dramatic hydraulic effect begins to be noticeable. It is demonstrable in tissue disruption on large muscle groups and can be seen easily when butchering a larger animal. And with smaller ones they begin to be "blown up" noticeably more so than when hit with rounds running slower.

That is one of the reasons I like the 7.62x25 so much. VERY little recoil, very dramatic terminal effect on small animals.

Nothing I've written here should be interpolated to larger animals. On deer-sized game or larger, penetration and heavy bullets are important and the Keith-type bullet is a good choice I suppose, but still, even the .44 Mag is a pop-gun compared to say a .308 at 75 yards, for example. On small animals, those same pistol-round-deer-killers will often perform very poorly. Lethality is certain with all of the above-mentioned rounds, even the pathetically-anemic .32 ACP, but "right-now" stopping power? Not much with most.

Where is the breakoff? An example; Head shot sheep will of course fold if the brain is hit. But often a sheep's head will turn a bullet, or the bullet will not strike brain because of the size of the tiny thing {brain...} and the mass of bone, depending on angle of shot. The .22LR, .38 Spec, 9x19, .45 ACP with solid or FMJ bullets have all failed on head shots from time to time. HP's in 7.62x25, .357 Mag and .44 Mag provide much more dramatic effect precisely and observably because they send bone shards all over and provide much more dramatic trauma even on marginal head shots. Seems simple, but until a fellow sees a sheep shot in the head with a .45 ACP that simply looks at him and runs off, the guy is probably thinking the .45 ACP is a "stopper" that would drop a sheep on any solid head shot. Not so.

As for FMJ's, I cannot tell the difference between the .45 ACP and 9x19 on body shots on small stuff or sheep to over 200 lbs. None at all.

So what to use for the rabid fox?

IMO, based on my experience, the 7.62x25 with a good fast-opening HP. Only problem is that none of the pistols that chamber it can safely be carried with a round in the chamber. I carry my Tok's everywhere, but am forced to rack the slide before shooting and unload chamber before holstering. THAT is why I desperately want to see a modern pistol chambered in that superb caliber.

Or in a modern wheelgun, tho I don't own one, the .327 Ruger HAS to be superb, and IMO probably the best pistol made for 99.9% of what a pistol is called upon to do in the field for 99.9% of the people. I want one.

--------------------

DarylS
.700 member

#159298 - 22/04/10 02:37 AM

What about the .32 mag with 75gr. to 85gr. HP's? Quite similar to the .325, I'd guess, in performance.

Seems to me velocity is needed for dramatic tissue disruption and a .22 Hornet (or .22 Jet-type) handgun with very soft bullets might be better yet on the small game.

--------------------
Daryl

SharpsNitro
.375 member

Reged: 12/08/08
Loc: Arizona, USA
      #159306 - 22/04/10 03:59 AM

Quote:

What about the .32 mag with 75gr. to 85gr. HP's? Quite similar to the .325, I'd guess, in performance.

Seems to me velocity is needed for dramatic tissue disruption and a .22 Hornet (or .22 Jet-type) handgun with very soft bullets might be better yet on the small game.

How about something in .30 carbine? I know a few revolvers chamber it and seem to recall AMT made an autoloader for it.

9.3x57
.450 member

Re: stopping small animals [Re: SharpsNitro]
      #159307 - 22/04/10 04:20 AM

Bottleneck revolver loads are not known for reliable performance as they can tie up the cylinder.

Some report the .32 Mag does well with max loads.

.30 Carbine in a pistol also has a good varmint rep except that the Ruger was a boat anchor and the AMT was known for operating as a reliable single shot...........

I failed to mention what might be as good as the 7.62x25, the 5.7 FN PDW round in the FN FiveseveN pistol. There is a cult following for that one and its ballistics look very good for varmints. I have no experience with it as I have my Tokarevs and the price of gun & ammo has scared me off. But I'd like one at least to try it out.

--------------------

tinker
.416 member

Reged: 12/03/05
Loc: Nevada
      #159310 - 22/04/10 06:13 AM

We have a nice little Ruger in .32mag, built on the small frame (same frame as the .22) that's sweet to carry and shoot.

I don't recall having killed anything with it yet, but once I get it and the rest of my loading kit out of storage and fired up I'll test drive it on coyote or jackrabbit and report back (some day...)

Cheers
Tinker

--------------------
--Self-Appointed Colonel, DRSS--

"It IS a dangerous game, and so named for a reason, and you can't play from the keyboard. " --Some Old Texan...

SharpsNitro
.375 member

Reged: 12/08/08
Loc: Arizona, USA
      #159316 - 22/04/10 10:40 AM

Quote:

I failed to mention what might be as good as the 7.62x25, the 5.7 FN PDW round in the FN FiveseveN pistol. There is a cult following for that one and its ballistics look very good for varmints. I have no experience with it as I have my Tokarevs and the price of gun & ammo has scared me off. But I'd like one at least to try it out.

I didn't think of that one. Another plus is with the magazine capacity you get a lot of chances to get in a hit.

DarylS
.700 member

Re: stopping small animals [Re: SharpsNitro]
      #159346 - 23/04/10 12:57 AM

Ahh - .360 Mars! 120gr. @ 1,600fps - something like that. Just have to find a Mars 4 lug, rotary bolt semiauto handgun - very rare - none known to exist.

--------------------
Daryl

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 12 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 9924

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com