Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: A well armed man.

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Handguns

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
bonanza
.400 member

Reged: 17/05/04
Loc: South Carolina
A well armed man.
      #149332 - 03/01/10 02:26 AM

This new chick I'm dating thinks its sexy that I have gun (glock 21) beside my bed.

--------------------

"Speak Precisely" G. Gordon Liddy.

"Life is absurd, chaotic and we must define its purpose with our actions" Abert Camus

"I''m the dude playing a dude disguised as another dude."

"Yo! Mr. White"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: A well armed man...and woman... [Re: bonanza]
      #149333 - 03/01/10 02:30 AM

I think it's sexy my wife of 24 years has a Smith 640 beside ours.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

bonanza
.400 member

Re: A well armed man...and woman... [Re: 9.3x57]
      #149336 - 03/01/10 02:48 AM

Sweet!

--------------------

"Life is absurd, chaotic and we must define its purpose with our actions" Abert Camus

"Yo! Mr. White"

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: A well armed man. [Re: bonanza]
      #149338 - 03/01/10 03:45 AM

Quote:

This new chick I'm dating thinks its sexy that I have gun (glock 21) beside my bed.

That's great...I have one there as well (H&K 45)--but perhaps I will go home and put out more around the room for bait...

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: A well armed man. [Re: Ripp]
      #149341 - 03/01/10 04:22 AM

Hmmm - not allowed here - but I do have a 30" blade handy.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

JabaliHunter
.400 member

Reged: 16/05/07
Loc: England
Re: A well armed man. [Re: DarylS]
      #149346 - 03/01/10 05:35 AM

They frown on baiting here too!
And Handguns

Edited by JabaliHunter (03/01/10 08:58 AM)

Metalguy
.300 member

Reged: 25/10/09
Loc: Northern WY
      #149349 - 03/01/10 06:55 AM

I got the good ole 1911 in my nightstand with 8 rounds of nasty little hollow points

bonanza
.400 member

Re: A well armed man. [Re: Metalguy]
      #149351 - 03/01/10 08:28 AM

Let's face it. Most women and wimps are terrified of hands guns. When a woman see a man exhibiting his mastery of a hand gun, it makes them wet. Especially in the defense of the home.

--------------------

"Yo! Mr. White"

Ripp
.577 member

#149383 - 03/01/10 04:28 PM

Quote:

When a woman see a man exhibiting his mastery of a hand gun, it makes them wet. Especially in the defense of the home.

Just what exactly are you doing with that handgun??

Ripp

--------------------

iqbal
resigned as a member

Reged: 05/02/03
Loc: Karachi,Pakistan
      #149389 - 03/01/10 07:43 PM

My wife frowns on my keeping a handgun by the bedside. A CZ 999 in 9mm.

Homer
.416 member

Reged: 07/04/09
Loc: Canberra, Australia
Re: A well armed man. [Re: iqbal]
      #150494 - 13/01/10 11:09 AM

G'Day Fella's,

Iqbal, your wife will until the day/night that you put it to good use on an intruder!
Once her hearing recovers, I hope she thanks you for the fore thought of having the CZ by the bed.

Just remember to Identify you Target!
You don't want to spill any of your Families Blood!!!

Whilst it was good that Australia won (from my perspective),the recent three Cricket, Test matches against Pakistan, I have to say that it was really good to see Pakistan bore it up Ponting's Chargers!
Yes, I'm an Australian but I'm No Fan of Ricky Ponting!
The Pakistan Team Members are very talented Cricketers!!!

The future is Looking Great!

HooRoo
From
Hommer

--------------------
"Beware the Lolly Pop of Mediocrity,
Lick it Once and You Will Suck Forever"

buckeyeshooter
.275 member

Reged: 04/02/04
Loc: ohio, USA
Re: A well armed man. [Re: Homer]
      #151440 - 22/01/10 02:32 PM

colt 45 autoloader by mine.

Empire375
.300 member

Reged: 18/08/09
Loc: Victoria, Australia
Re: A well armed man. [Re: buckeyeshooter]
      #151444 - 22/01/10 03:19 PM

My wife has a substantial temper. Ask me how I know.
I dont need a gun beside my bed. I could just wake her up and hide in the cupboard while she sorts things out herself.

iqbal
resigned as a member

Reged: 05/02/03
Loc: Karachi,Pakistan
      #151501 - 23/01/10 02:22 AM

Thanks Hommer.Right now you are the only one who has any praise for the Pakistani team.People here are cursing the hell out of them especially after handing the second test to the Aussies on a silver platter.

450_366
.400 member

Reged: 17/01/07
Loc: Sweden, west-coast.
Re: A well armed man. [Re: Empire375]
      #151504 - 23/01/10 02:55 AM

Quote:

My wife has a substantial temper. Ask me how I know.
I dont need a gun beside my bed. I could just wake her up and hide in the cupboard while she sorts things out herself.

If i had a handgun at arms reach from bed, it would take my 2 year son 10minutes to find it and get a shot off, my 4 year old doughter would probably need another 5m.

--------------------
Andreas

"Yeas it kicks like a mule he said, but always remember that its much worse standing on the other end"

500grains
.416 member

Reged: 16/02/04
Loc: Salt Lake City, Utah USA
Re: A well armed man. [Re: 450_366]
      #151519 - 23/01/10 05:05 AM

Quote:

would take my 2 year son 10minutes to find it and get a shot off, my 4 year old doughter would probably need another 5m.

Your kids just need training. My kids know where all the loaded guns are and they know they can handle them at any time if they just ask. That takes the curiosity out of it and they leave the guns alone.

450_366
.400 member

Re: A well armed man. [Re: 500grains]
      #151521 - 23/01/10 05:22 AM

Didnt work with me when i was a cid, cant take the chance it skipped a generation. But you are right, its the best way to handle all the dangerous things is as you discribe, but then again cids have friends.

--------------------
Andreas

"Yeas it kicks like a mule he said, but always remember that its much worse standing on the other end"

Homer
.416 member

#151549 - 23/01/10 08:50 AM

G'Day Fella's,

Iqbal, I watched the One Day International (ODI) game, last night.
Again, Australia was lucky to win!

I believe the Pakistan team is still a little bit young and not used to the World Wide exposure.
But I believe in time, they will give the rest of the cricketing world Stick (Pun Intended), when they get more and more exposure to other First Class opposition!

They have the talent, they just need the confidence and this comes from experience!!!

Looking forward to the next ODI!

Also, remind me to steer clear of Empire 375's Wife!!!

HooRoo
From
Hommer

--------------------

MacNaughton360
.275 member

Reged: 10/12/07
Loc: Indiana, USA
Re: A well armed man. [Re: buckeyeshooter]
      #151601 - 24/01/10 02:11 AM

Glock 23 by mine. It once belonged to a detective, and has Meprolight sights (Not my favorite daytime sights). It now also has a Crimson Trace Laser as well.

Ripp
.577 member

#151606 - 24/01/10 04:08 AM

Quote:

Didnt work with me when i was a cid, cant take the chance it skipped a generation. But you are right, its the best way to handle all the dangerous things is as you discribe, but then again cids have friends.

It DID with me and my brothers and sisters. Furthermore, I had 5 boys in my house---a gun was always loaded in my home--they had friends over all the time..no issues what so ever...it starts with proper parenting and teaching... the kids, children, etc have to understand no means NO..period.

Furthermore handguns are NOT the big bad boogy man the corrupt goverments of this world would like for their subjects to believe they are..

Ripp

--------------------

450_366
.400 member

#151611 - 24/01/10 04:30 AM

Good to hear it worked, and for the record my father teached me good but do you really trust your kids that much? just that you never did anything as a kid wont mean they wont either. And for the record my father still to day dont know anything.

Now we are not allowed to keep our guns anywere then in a safe IF we are not at home, so if i did keep it by the bed i would carry it with me as soon as i got out of bed. But then we are only allowed to carry it on person if we were on the way to or from a range, so if i wanted to keep a handgun next to my bed it would be in a drawer in my closet, this would hypothatical mean i needed 20-30sek to wake up and walk 4 meters open the drawer and be ready.

My two dogs will esally give me 30sek even if the doors are kept unlocked.

Hanguns or rifles are the same in my eyes, and sadly in my goverments also.

--------------------
Andreas

9.3x57
.450 member

#151613 - 24/01/10 04:47 AM

I have no problem with a fellow that keeps his guns locked up.

As for us, we consider a gun to be worthless unless it is loaded. So they are, in the safe and out.

My kids were raised around them, and literally anytime they wanted to look at one or shoot it, I let them.

They were shown the effect of a gunshot and told that once the bullet leaves the barrel it ain't coming back. Various objects proved the devastation a gun causes and to be honest, I was so graphic in my demonstrations that I'm a bit surprised they are interested in them at all.

Guns never worried me too much.

Because they were raised around ram stock, bolo knives, swathers, herbicides, LP gas torches, drill presses, haystacks, horses {mean and nice, made no difference}, manure forks, toasters, cattle, kitchen knives {left strewn about like most everybody does...}, hair dryers, steep slopes, medicine and each other.

Most of the folks that fear guns don't spend too much time really evaluating the safety of their own homes. Home life is dangerous!!

We each have our tolerances I guess. I'll never forget the total mortification I felt in "safe" Denmark when for Christmas the folks I stayed with lit real candles that were hanging on their Christmas tree. Talk about "Nuts" I thought...

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

Ripp
.577 member

#151614 - 24/01/10 04:48 AM

Quote:

Good to hear it worked, and for the record my father teached me good but do you really trust your kids that much?
Hanguns or rifles are the same in my eyes, and sadly in my goverments also.

+++++++++++

YES, I really do/did. My kids are all gone now, but there was always a loaded gun in the house without incidence.

I grew up on a farm with many more dangerous items around than a gun...like cutting hay with a $80,000 tractor and a double $30,000 cutter behind with 2 moving blades--driving around fields at 10 years old. My father trusted me with that as well...he also trusted me to pick bales all summer long and have them in the yard by fall to feel our cattle. He trusted that I would get up at 4:30 AM and milk 40 dairy cows..go eat breakfast and work in the fields until 5 PM --drive home, milk the cows again, head back out to the fields until dark..

My point is, it was a different world then..or was it?? Or, perhaps the difference is how we are teaching our kids in today's world. Now there are some places, by law, you are not allowed to discipline your child..really??? the government now tells you how to raise your family??

As to the difference between a handgun or rifle..unfortunately, in many governments the handgun has a much more aggressive stance against them by law than a rifle..which is terribly misguided and more "feel good" legislation without any scientific facts to back it up..don't forget, the last thing you want to do is confuse a liberal with facts..that really pisses them off..

Ripp

--------------------

Ripp
.577 member

Re: A well armed man. [Re: 9.3x57]
      #151615 - 24/01/10 04:52 AM

Quote:

Because they were raised around ram stock, bolo knives, swathers, herbicides, LP gas torches, drill presses, haystacks, bolo knives, horses {mean and nice, made no difference}, manure forks, toasters, cattle, kitchen knives {left strewn about like most everybody does...}, hair dryers, steep slopes, medicine and each other.

Rather ironic you were typing this about the same time I was ..

Great minds...or at least life experiences...

Ripp

--------------------

9.3x57
.450 member

#151620 - 24/01/10 05:44 AM

RIPP:

You are right.

Kids are not morons, unless we teach them to be. And our culture is doing its level best to eradicate the last vestiges of common sense from every living soul it influences. ALWAYS if somebody gets hurt, it is somebody else's fault.

I confess, we did keep guns away from the kids till they could walk, use eating utensils and understand English.

Were there injuries?

Of course.

My son and a friend when little guys were told to bring in the horses, which they did. Horses being the obstinate creatures they are at times, they saw the boys coming and made for the far end of the pasture. Boys being the equally obstinate creatures they are, decided to make the horses pay by carrying them back. No halters, just lead ropes, they mounted up and hell for leather went for the gate. No control at a gallop, they did well till the pair started to pull up at the sight of the gate. Friend went off first around the neck and under, the horse taking the kid's teeth with her shod feet on the way over. My son left his mare when she tried to clear the whole mess steeplechase-style. He was uninjured. Must have landed on his head.

My wife once dropped a bolo knife of mine and opened her leg to the bone. Thing was so sharp she never felt it until she looked down fearful she broke the handle of the knife on the concrete floor {she did}.

God didn't bless me with with gal-attracting dimples, but Rosie did, that is, one at least. She was a foal of ours that permanently added a cute little divit to my face with the application of one of her hind hooves. My gal loves it!

My daughter at diaper-sporting age climbed the washer and jimmied the lock on the medicine cabinet and downed a half bottle of some nasty meds once, too, and spent the night getting her stomach pumped for it. So much for locks.

And same tike at a friend's house crawled out of her car seat and though she couldn't reach the pedals somehow got the pickup in gear and headed for the river, it hanging up on a stump our neighbor's wife had been hounding him for a year to remove! Thanks God for procrastination!

My son was bit by a guard dog. The dog paid by becoming the testing media for a cylinderfull of Lyman cast 454190 .45 Colt bullets, adding yet more proof to the addage that there is no such thing as stopping power when it comes to non-expanding pistol bullets. Dropped at round 6.

But ya'know what?

None of my kids ever shot anybody, and they didn't drop the hairdryer into their bath water, either. They never shoved a butterknife into the toaster, and they never put their hands on the business end of a running chainsaw and they never shoved a pencil into a dog's ear and they never pushed their faces into a pot of boiling water, either.

They must be brilliant, extraordinary people and lucky, too!

Frankly, I wish I'd applied the gun safety training to medicine cabinets and gear boxes. We live and learn. Every bolo knife I make now has a lanyard for retaining it in the scabbard.

--------------------

Story
.333 member

Reged: 15/10/08
Loc: SE PA, USA
      #151621 - 24/01/10 05:47 AM

1. What I have is a surprise.
2. As 450 366 mentioned, it takes awhile to wake up and get the synapses firing properly. Be sure and set your dead bolts before you go to sleep, folks. It's surprising how many people do NOT - and the bad guys take advantage of that.
3. Recommended reading for all US defensive pistol owners and suggested for our foreign friends as well
http://www.amazon.com/Stressfire-Vol-Gunfighting-Police-Techniques/dp/0936279036
4. For our Canadian brethren reduced to midnight swordfights with bad guys, I'd like to suggest
http://www.paladin-press.com/product/Bowie_and_Big_Knife_Fighting/Knife_and_Sword_Fighting
If you're without your sword and all you have is a 16" meat knife, the information above will come in handy.

450_366
.400 member

#151623 - 24/01/10 05:48 AM

Please dont take this as a fight agains handguns, locked up or in a bedstand. But kids are kids, they are programed to test boundrarys and limits, to explore and to challenge authorities (parents and later law). They will do so and the only thing i can do on the way is to minimize the danger.
As you say they are around enough thing anyway, and thats why i unplug all my powertools as soon as i or they used them, i take the keys out of any tractor,car etc. as soon as we are done with them.
I agree its more likely they get hurt playing around the farm, but if i did leave my hayfork upsidedown under the barn hatch, and some kid fell ower it, i shoot myself. The same thing if i would leave a firearm loaded and a frind of a frend from my kids found it and hurt anyone.

I know most people at the country in your continent probably are keeping a shotgun or handgun loaded, you are brought up this way and know it, in my eyes thats a perfect thing.

Here the possibility that a kid doesent even know what it is, is huge, and it only need to be one, probably one of you neighburs or your kids schoolmates, are from a less educated family , could also be quite large. Could you live with yourself is something happend? Nowing it could have been avoided. I couldnt.

My god i start to sound as my father.

--------------------
Andreas

450_366
.400 member

Re: A well armed man. [Re: Story]
      #151626 - 24/01/10 06:01 AM

Quote:

1. What I have is a surprise.
2. As 450 366 mentioned, it takes awhile to wake up and get the synapses firing properly. Be sure and set your dead bolts before you go to sleep, folks. It's surprising how many people do NOT - and the bad guys take advantage of that.

Here in europe they use gas to keep you from waking , no firearm or knife will help there. A gas alarm is the best way to keep safe from the pros.

Fire is my fear, its sneaks up on you and if you are lucky the alarms is triggered and you are ably to save the family. Then its all the creepy crawlers that are loose on the streets, no training of mine will help if im not there when my kids are grabbed.

My point is that a burglary at knight is one of my least.

--------------------
Andreas

Story
.333 member

Reged: 15/10/08
Loc: SE PA, USA
      #151697 - 25/01/10 04:54 AM

Quote:

Here in europe they use gas to keep you from waking , no firearm or knife will help there. A gas alarm is the best way to keep safe from the pros.

Wow, that's a new one - and it hasn't shown up here yet. Are most bedrooms in Sweden on the first floor?
http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/s/206/206175_costa_brits_gassed_by_gangs.html
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1560520/Beware-sleeping-gas-gang-caravanners-told.html

For whatever it's worth, I also read on a South African forum where the burglars where burning CD's to create the fumes. Sounds potentially lethal and low-tech, but about what one could expect from Nigerian or Congolese criminals.

450_366
.400 member

#151711 - 25/01/10 05:44 AM

Almost all new houses are only one floor, but many older ones are built two stage and many of them have at least one bedroom on the second floor.
Its not that common in sweden at burglarys for now, but on caravans and motorhomes its frequent accouring.

--------------------
Andreas

Ripp
.577 member

#151712 - 25/01/10 05:46 AM

Quote:

Please dont take this as a fight agains handguns, locked up or in a bedstand. As you say they are around enough thing anyway, and thats why i unplug all my powertools as soon as i or they used them, i take the keys out of any tractor,car etc. as soon as we are done with them.
I agree its more likely they get hurt playing around the farm, but if i did leave my hayfork upsidedown under the barn hatch, and some kid fell ower it, i shoot myself. The same thing if i would leave a firearm loaded and a frind of a frend from my kids found it and hurt anyone.

My god i start to sound as my father.

Absolutely do NOT take it as a fight..actually find this really interesting..seeing how things are very different..by reading your memo it really makes me aware of how different people really are. And makes me realize how much more open we all need to be to other cultures, views, etc.

When I was growing up or when I lived on the farm with my family, we did not take the keys out of anything..in fact some of our tractors were so old, they didn't have keys..so no worries there.. We were expected to get our work done, period. Even at a very young age..believe me, when we had free time the last thing we wanted to do was go near a tractor again..

All I know is, I was literally shooting a .22 rimfire on a regular basis when I was 5 and 6 years old with my brothers who were 7 and 8 years older than me..so, guess I was lucky to be that much younger..got my first .22 rimfire for Christmas when I was 9..still have it..shot one trillion gophers with it.. ...not really, but as a kid it seemed like it..no suppervision after the first week or so..was left on my own--once my work/chores were done I was free to go shoot...for my work I got one box of .22 ammo per week..which was usually gone by Monday..

As 9.3 and I have stated...when and where we grew up --there were many more dangers than a firearm to ones life..in todays world things are a bit different...but, as I stated earlier, are they or do we believe they are---personally think if we still raised kids the way they were raised 30 to 40 years ago--a lot of our problems today would not be problems.. and God willing--will apply the same to my grandkids...if I ever have any...

Ripp

--------------------

450_366
.400 member

#151716 - 25/01/10 05:55 AM

Quote:

All I know is, I was literally shooting a .22 rimfire on a regular basis when I was 5 and 6 years old with my brothers who were 7 and 8 years older than me..so, guess I was lucky to be that much younger..got my first .22 rimfire for Christmas when I was 9..still have it..shot one trillion gophers with it.. ...not really, but as a kid it seemed like it..no suppervision after the first week or so..was left on my own--once my work/chores were done I was free to go shoot...for my work I got one box of .22 ammo per week..which was usually gone by Monday..

Ripp

Thats the kind of childhood that makes honest people, those days are sadly gone for most of us, the only thing to do now is to make the best out of it. Nowdays most work at least 40 hours a day and drive another hour, then the kids "need" all the recreation activities as sports and so on. If the modern human gets one good hour a day with his kids he is a lucky man. Sadly most will spend it in front of the TV.

And we wonder why the world looks as it does.

--------------------
Andreas

Homer
.416 member

#151739 - 25/01/10 10:35 AM

G'Day Fella's,

It was very enlightening to read what you blokes have to say about your part of the planet and the need to have a loaded firearm within easy reach.

I just have to say that I'm really pleased I have grown up and live where I do, as we have never had to even contemplate, such situations!

But as they say at the start of that absolute cracker of movie "LA Confidential", Welcome to the Future!!! Unfortunately, the social fabric of even our part of the planet is now, Going to the Dogs!

I have a couple of nice handguns that I imagine might be handy for personal protection. They are a Sig Sauer Mosquito in .22LR, a S&W M63 in .38 Special, a couple of others and then a Glock 20 in 10mm Auto!
I have also been shooting IPSC for 30 years now, so I might be able to use them reasonable well but shooting paper and people is miles apart!

HooRoo
From
Hommer

--------------------

Ripp
.577 member

#151747 - 25/01/10 01:19 PM

Quote:

G'Day Fella's,

It was very enlightening to read what you blokes have to say about your part of the planet and the need to have a loaded firearm within easy reach.

I just have to say that I'm really pleased I have grown up and live where I do, as we have never had to even contemplate, such situations!

HooRoo
From
Hommer

Hommer

Actually where I live or have lived I have never really felt the need to have one loaded..but I do anyway..just like to keep them handy....

I firmly enjoy the right to be able to make that decision for myself versus the goverment making it for me...

Where I live or have lived, it is much more probable to need a firearm for some pesty skunk, badger or whatever as you will for those with 2 legs... I NEVER go hiking without one someone for that reason..never know when you will run into that 1 in a 100,000 encounter...would much rather be on the plus side of that statistic...

Having said tha, have traveled many places here in the US where I would not go very far without one on me there as well..and has saved my bacon on 2 different situations..hoping if and when number three comes around I will have one then too..

Ripp

--------------------

9.3x57
.450 member

#151756 - 25/01/10 02:07 PM

Here we have a necessity to keep one loaded and ready for a variety of reasons, mostly involving DOGS.

So, while the 640 is handy, so is the scoped rifle that leans by the bed.

Just about 2 weeks ago or so I shot what turned out to be a about 90 pounds of a neighbor's dog.

During the midday it made an attempt to get thru our front gate, probably after our sheep. My son's Springer Spaniel ran it off.

Then it looped up a half mile and came back, this time clearly chasing the sheep and among the horses.

Stupidly, I felt heart strings pulled when I saw the purple collar. I know better, sweet as can be, they all are sheep killers and horse chasers. Anyway, I gave it another chance and chased it off. I should have shot it then and there.

Strike 2.

Then later it came back and faced off with the steer. The steer charged it. I was at this point standing by the barn with the .264 leaning on the fence post and in my mind I said "If it runs off, leave it alone, but if it stops and comes back, break the trigger". It came back and I broke the trigger.

Strike 3. Yer out.

I suppose a .264 would change the mind of an intruder, too.

PS: I didn't know whose dog it was as tho it had a collar, it had no tags. It is illegal to let a dog run at-large here. Turns out the neighbor searched all over the place and finally found blood on the snow and came to my place asking why I shot his dog. I told him. We shook hands, he apologized, and that is the end of it. Nice fellow.

I have stitched up too many sheep. People, don't let your dogs roam.

--------------------

Homer
.416 member

#151767 - 25/01/10 04:05 PM

G'Day Fella's,

(Edit- I forgot to say, I'm glad to hear you blokes aren't constantly confronted with a need to defend yourselves with firearms! Hommer).

Ripp, I used to work as the gunsmith at a local gun shop and I once had a customer who was a "Digger" (this is the affectionate name Australians give to Australian Soldiers/Servicemen (as they were always "Digging Bloody Fox Holes"). In this case, this gentleman was a WW II Veteran) and he told me that "If you are a good person and you didn't start the fight, it is always better to be tried by Twelve than to be carried by Six"!
No truer words were ever spoken!!!

9.3, you won't get any complaints from me!
Canberra is the Capital City of Australia and is also referred to as "The Bush Capital".
We have a series of closely settled urban areas with substantial areas of rural land, reserves etc, separating these urban areas. The rural areas are generally farmed by "Lease Holders" and a couple of mates of mine have leases.
"M.T." in particular has always had problems with Town Dogs chasing and or attacking his stock (sheep & cattle), so "M.T." prefers the .220 Swift for fixing this problem!

The up side of this for me is that within 15 minutes of leaving home, I can be hunting anything from Rabbits, Foxes and at times, Goats ,Pigs and Fallow Deer!

It's not all "Beer and Skittles" though, as I also have to do my bit for social responsibility/volunteer work and this comes in the form of helping these mates and other Lease Holders to cull the Kangaroos on these leased rural areas. While the people of Canberra do a pretty good job of culling hundreds of "Roo's" with there cars each year, I generally still manage to shoot at least 300 Roo's, most years.
The culling is done by spotlighting at night, with my .222 or .223 and head shooting the poor bloody creatures. It may sound glamorous but it really is, a prick of a job!!!

HooRoo
From
Hommer

Edited by Hommer (26/01/10 10:03 AM)

Checkman
.333 member

Reged: 15/03/08
Loc: Idaho
      #153334 - 11/02/10 08:18 AM

I'm a police officer. In a couple months I'll observe my tenth anniversary as a cop. I live in the same city that I work for and over the years I've had many an individual tell me they know me and where I live. Often these moments have occurred when I'm on a call and the person telling me they know who I am is a possible suspect. Usually it's not at all threatning I should add. They're just trying to make conversation with me. Police work is a strange job. But when I was new it was disconcerting to hear them describe my house.

Well anyway last September I was doing some yardwork. The garbage truck came by to pick up our trash and the guys were kind enough to wait for me to bring the trashbag full of grass clippings over to them. Suddenly one of the workers smiled and told me that I had arrested him in the past. Of course I didn't recognize him. He told me I arrested him on Halloween night 2000 (October 31, 2000) for domestic battery. Then I remembered. He had punched his old lady a couple times because she told him they couldn't afford to get pizza delivered and when she went to call 911 he pulled the phone jack out of the outlet (911 Interference is a criminal offense in Idaho). He was really drunk that night and had been unemployed for several months.

Anyway our encounter was fine. He shook my hand and told me thanks. Yes he said thanks. He evidently had to go to court ordered drug addiction counseling as part of his probation.He got clean, got the job with the trash company (probably earning more than me) and he and his wife were doing just fine. He shook my hand and off he went. That was a good encounter and a good story, but it made me think. It was nine years later and he remembered me. Fortunately his experience actually turned into a positive thing and he actually thanked me for getting the ball rolling. But I'm pretty sure that he's the exception not the norm. So yes I'm armed and I have no trouble with the law abiding citizen being armed becasue whose to say that they might not have pissed somebody off in their past as well - for example.

I keep my GLOCK 19 loaded and next to my bed at night.I move it every morning to a more secure location, but I can access it without any difficulty if need be. I also keep my GLOCK 26 close by where I can get it. I've never needed to use them at home (thank god), but it's good to be prepared. And I have no trouble with anyone who wants to do the same.Whether that person be a cop, a stock broker or a plumber. I've walked into many a home with loaded firearms and often the owners are very quick to tell me. I don't have any trouble with that. There are many many weapons in a house and the fact of the matter is that there is always at least one handgun at every call I go to - mine. It's just a fact of life. Dosen't change my belief in the 2nd Amendment and I've been a card carrying member of the National Rifle Association for twelve years.

Empire375
.300 member

Re: A well armed man. [Re: Checkman]
      #153364 - 11/02/10 04:08 PM

In Australia Checkman you would make the papers and be jailed. Your story is a valid one however

9.3x57
.450 member

#153373 - 11/02/10 11:34 PM

Quote:

In Australia Checkman you would make the papers and be jailed. Your story is a valid one however

What part of his story is a jailable offense??

--------------------

Empire375
.300 member

#153393 - 12/02/10 04:06 AM

Having a pistol for home defence is not a legally accepted "Valid Reason". For the pistol shooters who do have pistols at home the guns must be in a locked and bolted down steel safe that renders the pistol useless if you home is violated.
If you had a loaded pistol next to your bed and were caught with it there then you would get hammered.
I said that only because Checkman is a law officer. It strikes me as unreal that Checkman is a lawman in another western society and yet the laws are so different that in Australia he would be in deep doo doo.
I'm not having a go at him. Its just an observation thats all.

Grenadier
.375 member

Reged: 20/02/08
Loc: North of the Columbia, USA
      #153395 - 12/02/10 04:36 AM

I can, and do, keep a couple of loaded handguns within easy access. I use a wall safe with a biometric lock. Once I make the three steps from my bed, all I have to do is push a button and put my finger on a pad. A door then instantly drops revealing two loaded pistols ready for action. My wife's fingerprint will do the same thing. The safe allows fast access but keeps our loaded firearms out of a child's reach. Even well behaved children trained in firearms safety should be kept from loaded firearms unless under direct adult supervision.

The ability to own and use handguns is one of the few things still differentiating the USA from the EU. The number of concealed carry licensees has been continuing to grow. A big surge in applications came just before the presidential election. The surge turned into a tidal wave and it has yet to recede. About half of the licenses are going to first time concealed carriers and a big portion of those are new handgun owners. Sales of handguns and ammunition were so great that stores were cleaned out and the back-orders are just catching up after over a year. Many, many people now own handguns. Any new national move to ban handguns will be met with a resistance unlike any seen before.

--------------------
~

Ripp
.577 member

#153399 - 12/02/10 05:24 AM

Quote:

Having a pistol for home defence is not a legally accepted "Valid Reason". For the pistol shooters who do have pistols at home the guns must be in a locked and bolted down steel safe that renders the pistol useless if you home is violated.
If you had a loaded pistol next to your bed and were caught with it there then you would get hammered.
I said that only because Checkman is a law officer. It strikes me as unreal that Checkman is a lawman in another western society and yet the laws are so different that in Australia he would be in deep doo doo.
I'm not having a go at him. Its just an observation thats all.

EMPIRE 375,

Another observation or questions on my part..Does the goverment require thieves, robbers, murderers and such to have their handguns locked up also???

I say that in jest, but really, some laws, many of which are here in the US, have ruled out all common sense...

Take care

Ripp

--------------------

Empire375
.300 member

#153402 - 12/02/10 05:39 AM

Hi Ripp
My experience says that the thieves, robbers, murderers are in fact exempt and are actually given unofficial conceal carry permits. They are also not required to have permits to purchase as I do.

Grenadier
.375 member

Reged: 20/02/08
Loc: North of the Columbia, USA
      #153409 - 12/02/10 07:02 AM

Checkman may or may not know that because he is a police officer he can carry a concealed pistol just about anywhere in the USA, even down the streets of Manhattan, if he chooses. The USA has a law called the "Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act" (LEOSA) signed into law on 22 July, 2004 by President Bush as 18 U.S. Code 926B and 926C. There are some conditions but basically it means that he can carry in any state. It overrides local and state laws as well so, for example, he can carry concealed in an area like San Francisco where the citizens themselves are banned from carrying.

--------------------
~

Checkman
.333 member

Reged: 15/03/08
Loc: Idaho
Re: A well armed man. [Re: Grenadier]
      #153450 - 12/02/10 03:58 PM

Yes I'm familiar with 18 U.S Code 926B and 926C. But it is not a blank check. I do have to follow the various state laws as regarding firearms on private property and state, county and local goverment property. And I also have to obey all Federal laws regarding firearms on Federal property.

My concealed carry piece has to be one approved by my department and I have to have my badge and police photo I.D. card with me as well. When I go to Oregon I leave my G26 in my car if we're going to walk on the beaches. It's my understanding that under Oregon state law only law enforcement personal on duty can have firearms on the beaches. I might be wrong but I'm not going to chance it.

Having said all that I also have a CCW through Idaho mainly because I support the program.

shorthair
.224 member

Reged: 24/04/07
Loc: wasington
      #158241 - 05/04/10 05:37 AM

My wife sleeps with a .44 bulldog in her side of the headboard & i keep a 1911 .45 in mine.

carpediem4570
.300 member

Reged: 28/06/08
Loc: Alberta, Canada
Re: A well armed man. [Re: shorthair]
      #174984 - 06/02/11 02:55 PM

Not allowed to keep a firearm next to the bed, as specified by Canadian law, BUT, I keep my phone in the bedroom with 911 on speed dial cause I KNOW the police will be at my house the second I make the call and the bad guy will be scooped up and my wife and I will be able to go back to sleep knowing that justice was served.

Carpediem
DO not fear the night
Fear what hunts at night

--------------------
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways-Chrdonnay in one hand-Chocolate in the other-body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WHOO-HOO, WHAT A RIDE!!"

bonanza
.400 member

#175012 - 07/02/11 02:06 AM

I have these.

http://www.taylorbrothersdoorlock.com/

--------------------

"Yo! Mr. White"

tinker
.416 member

Reged: 12/03/05
Loc: Nevada
Re: A well armed man. [Re: carpediem4570]
      #175024 - 07/02/11 07:39 AM

Wow!

Quote:

...I KNOW the police will be at my house the second I make the call...

That's Faith!

Cheers
Tinker

--------------------
--Self-Appointed Colonel, DRSS--

"It IS a dangerous game, and so named for a reason, and you can't play from the keyboard. " --Some Old Texan...

DarylS
.700 member

Re: A well armed man. [Re: tinker]
      #175071 - 08/02/11 05:55 AM

Carp is being sarcastic - here, were someone to break into your house - attack your wife or kids and you beat him to death with your fists - no weapon used, you'd be charged with third degree murder - and probably convicted unless he was armed or you armed the body. Even then, it would be hard fought and you'd need a very good lawyer - because

"all he wanted was your sterio and you murdered him". (His assault on your house-hold and family was accidental) He never meant to hurt anyone" - "he was a good man, wonderful father/worker/student/a--hole/pin cushion -yadda yadda yadda" -

is the defence - and pretty much all that's needed. The ciminal 'justice' system will do the rest. Such is life in 'Utopia'.

Firearms handy for protection purposes are not allowed here - you might accidently or on purpose shoot a criminal and we can't have that, Old chap!

Yeah- I feel synical.

--------------------
Daryl

DarylS
.700 member

Re: A well armed man. [Re: DarylS]
      #175072 - 08/02/11 06:13 AM

Checkman - that's a good story above re: - the garbage collector - had similar things happen to me a number of times, but due to spending 20 years at the adult correction facility here where my family and I've now lived for 32years.

--------------------
Daryl

Freeloader123
.275 member

Reged: 23/07/10
Loc: Dallas, Texas
Re: A well armed man. [Re: carpediem4570]
      #175652 - 16/02/11 10:13 PM

Quote:

Not allowed to keep a firearm next to the bed, as specified by Canadian law, BUT, I keep my phone in the bedroom with 911 on speed dial cause I KNOW the police will be at my house the second I make the call and the bad guy will be scooped up and my wife and I will be able to go back to sleep knowing that justice was served.

Carpediem
DO not fear the night
Fear what hunts at night

It's kinda nice living in a country where it's entirely up to you if there's a gun next to you when you're sleeping.

There are a lot of things eff'd up around here, but that's not one of them.

It isn't like we're living in the wild, wild west (although the Mexican drug cartels are doing their damndest to change that). I don't think we sleep any more nervously than you Brits, Canucks, or Aussies. The idea that we'll have to use a gun on any particular night is, well, ridiculous.

It's just there because it pisses all the right people off.

Stuart
.275 member

Reged: 24/05/07
Loc: Mission, B.C., Canada
Re: A well armed man. [Re: Grenadier]
      #178333 - 04/04/11 12:12 AM

Quote:

I can, and do, keep a couple of loaded handguns within easy access. I use a wall safe with a biometric lock...

I've just rediscovered this thread. As you have read from Daryl and others living above the 49th, we're not allowed to keep a gun by the bed, for our own safety of course, not to mention that of any enterprising criminal. (We're very egalitarian up here.) We are allowed, however, to use deadly force if we deem our lives to be in danger, but the law makes it pretty difficult to get to a firearm should the need arise. Fortunately, Canadian society seems to be less violent than in the US, generally speaking, so the need to be armed isn't as great... so far. When I read the "Tactical and Personal Defence" threads on the 1911 Forum and see people asking, presumably quite honestly, "What do you carry when you're putting out the garbage/mowing the lawn/taking a c**p" or whatever, I'm appalled! I live in a semi-rural area on the edge of a small town and always say "better wild animals than wild neighbours." Fortunately I have great neighbours; the coyotes and black bears are just around to give the neighbourhood dogs something to bark at- as if they need an excuse.

Grenadier, I'm curious about your biometric safe. I've toyed with the idea of having a handgun stored within easy reach in my new house, (in accordance with federal regs. of course) but have always been suspicious of consumer-grade electronic devices and have been leaning towards a safe with a Simplex (push-buttom mechanical) mechanism such as is made by V-Line. Presumably you have full confidence in yours, though.

Quote:

Freeloader123: "It's just there because it pisses all the right people off."

Not a bad reason at all!

Stuart

Freeloader123
.275 member

Re: A well armed man. [Re: Stuart]
      #178377 - 04/04/11 08:35 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Freeloader123: "It's just there because it pisses all the right people off."

Not a bad reason at all!

Stuart

No, it's not. But there are other "not bad" reasons to keep a gun handy. It turns the (other, entirely different) right people on. Bonanza started this thread by mentioning his girlfriend thought his Glock was sexy. My girlfriend thinks my Colt 1911 is her baby. I tell her that if I don't satisfy, she can always just shoot me with it.

After nearly 4 years I'm still here, so I must be doing something right.

Seriously, all kidding aside, my reckoning is that if you live in an area where you feel the need to install an alarm system in your home, you may one day be well served by a handy firearm. After all, if there are absolutely no threats, what's the alarm for?

I may not be the sharpest tool in the shed, but I have caught on to news reports that indicate that intrusion alarm systems are sold in countries other than the US. Which, if true, leads me to believe that something untoward is going on with some frequency elsewhere. Possibly something even potentially dangerous.

I believe in defense in depth. Alarms are good. Dogs are good. Odds are phenominally stacked against the case, but if I need one guns are also good. Just like the fire extinguishers I've never needed in the shop or kitchen.

Stuart
.275 member

Re: A well armed man. [Re: Freeloader123]
      #178418 - 05/04/11 06:38 AM

Quote:

Freeloader123: Bonanza started this thread by mentioning his girlfriend thought his Glock was sexy. My girlfriend thinks my Colt 1911 is her baby. I tell her that if I don't satisfy, she can always just shoot me with it.

I wouldn't touch that statement with the proverbial 10-foot pole! (And I hope your gf doesn't, either. you might have an off-night, you know.) My gf doesn't like guns but she said that if she lived here, "I'd learn to shoot." Next time she's up for a visit I may take her to the range to try a couple of handguns. But I think she's thinking of bear defence and that's really not a likely scenario here. The only bear I've ever had to shoot was a 2 yr.-old cub that was gnawing on one of the neighbour's alpacas at 3:30am. My Marlin 1894 loaded with 270 gr FP handled that quite nicely. It's probably the only bear in B.C. with an epitaph. The little fella had been tagged by Conservation after being found as an orphan, raised and released 35 miles away.

Stuart

--------------------
Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by
smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles
who really mean it. (Mark Twain)

Freeloader123
.275 member

#178429 - 05/04/11 01:24 PM

Quote:

I wouldn't touch that statement with the proverbial 10-foot pole! (And I hope your gf doesn't, either. you might have an off-night, you know.)

Dude. When I have an off-night it'll be 15 minutes after I'm dead already. She can have the gun, for all the good it'll do her at that point.

The "proverbial 10-foot pole" comment I find rich in potential irony. Do you mind if I mine it?

Stuart
.275 member

#178468 - 06/04/11 10:17 AM

Quote:

The "proverbial 10-foot pole" comment I find rich in potential irony. Do you mind if I mine it?

Whoops...I see what you mean. Well, it's on the Internet now, so I guess it's in the public domain Mine away.

In the meantime, and in deference to the original topic of this thread, I'm going to go back to cleaning my new-to-me-this-morning Ruger Blackhawk .45. Might keep me from putting my other foot in my mouth as I'll need it to get around the gun room.

Stuart

Edited by Stuart (06/04/11 10:18 AM)

Freeloader123
.275 member

#179109 - 15/04/11 06:12 AM

You'll like that Blackhawk, by the way.

I have one in .44 mag.

I used to have one in .357/9mm, but I never shot it so I sold it. Nothing was wrong with it, though.

Stuart
.275 member

#179110 - 15/04/11 06:33 AM

Quote:

You'll like that Blackhawk, by the way.

O yes indeed! I've just made up some test loads with 231 to take to the range. Those cases are sure cavernous. With about 7.5 gr. of 231 I swear there's still an echo in there. I have a .44 Mag (Marlin 1894) as well and am used to seeing a more powder in a case that big. Once I've had a chance to work up some loads I'll take it apart and do some judicious polishing of the internals and slick things up a bit.

Although it might not be my first choice for SD (I'd pick my 1911 for that), staring at the nasty end of that Blackhawk would likely create a lasting impression. Even more sinister than my S&W 625 perhaps.

Stuart

--------------------

Freeloader123
.275 member

#179118 - 15/04/11 09:09 AM

I gave away my one and only .44 mag carbine. A Win. M94. I wanted to leave a friend with no objections about going hog hunting.

Stuart
.275 member

#179119 - 15/04/11 09:30 AM

Quote:

I gave away my one and only .44 mag carbine. A Win. M94. I wanted to leave a friend with no objections about going hog hunting.

The only one with any objections to that would be the hog.

Stuart

--------------------

Freeloader123
.275 member

#179127 - 15/04/11 11:02 AM

The hog didn't have a vote. His wife(not the hog's' the friend's) has gone from "I don't like hunting" to "where's the bacon."

We'll be teaching the daughter how to hunt next year, if the creek don't rise.

Edited by Freeloader123 (15/04/11 11:14 AM)

Freeloader123
.275 member

#192868 - 01/11/11 11:48 AM

I recently had an experience that reenforced my view that it's wise to have a gun handy.

My girlfriend confessed she had a brother who was in prison. The GF wasn't the type you'd suspect to have a family member in prison, but there you go. You can't always judge by appearances.

She didn't tell me her brother was in prison until he was out of prison. She didn't tell me earlier because she was afraid I'd think less of her. But her brother's a serious dope fiend. He'll do anything for drugs. Including armed robbery, arson, and attempted murder. Which is what landed him in prison in the first place. She hoped prison might have changed him. It didn't really, unless you count joining a prison gang "change." When he got out, she saw he was no better than when he went in and then felt she had to tell me about him. Because I was a potential target.

She didn't know who he'd try to kill, but it'd be anyone he thought had enough money to get him his next fix. And while I'm not Warren Buffet or Donald Trump, I'm a moderately successful businessman.

I slept better those few months between his release and his inevitable screw-up that put him back into the system with my buckshot charged Remington 11-87 and my AR-15 within easy reach.

I'm not ashamed to say I simply won't go mano a mano against some hopped up Aryan Brotherhood member, given a better alternative. There are drugs out there that makes the user incredibly death resistant.

Fortunately, a solid hit with some 12 gauge buck or a couple of rounds to the chest from a rifle will normally quiet down a druggie even when fists, feet, knees, elbows, and knives no longer suffice.

As far as I'm concerned, it's a matter of decency for the law to acknowledge my right to possess the tools I decide (not some agency, not some bureaucrat pondering if he/she should give me permission) I need to sleep well, having been informed the odds I'll be rudely awakened have increased dramatically.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 6 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 17891

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com