Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: A well armed man.

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Handguns

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: A well armed man. [Re: DarylS]
      #175072 - 08/02/11 06:13 AM

Checkman - that's a good story above re: - the garbage collector - had similar things happen to me a number of times, but due to spending 20 years at the adult correction facility here where my family and I've now lived for 32years.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Freeloader123
.275 member

Reged: 23/07/10
Loc: Dallas, Texas
Re: A well armed man. [Re: carpediem4570]
      #175652 - 16/02/11 10:13 PM

Quote:

Not allowed to keep a firearm next to the bed, as specified by Canadian law, BUT, I keep my phone in the bedroom with 911 on speed dial cause I KNOW the police will be at my house the second I make the call and the bad guy will be scooped up and my wife and I will be able to go back to sleep knowing that justice was served.

Carpediem
DO not fear the night
Fear what hunts at night

It's kinda nice living in a country where it's entirely up to you if there's a gun next to you when you're sleeping.

There are a lot of things eff'd up around here, but that's not one of them.

It isn't like we're living in the wild, wild west (although the Mexican drug cartels are doing their damndest to change that). I don't think we sleep any more nervously than you Brits, Canucks, or Aussies. The idea that we'll have to use a gun on any particular night is, well, ridiculous.

It's just there because it pisses all the right people off.

Stuart
.275 member

Reged: 24/05/07
Loc: Mission, B.C., Canada
Re: A well armed man. [Re: Grenadier]
      #178333 - 04/04/11 12:12 AM

Quote:

I can, and do, keep a couple of loaded handguns within easy access. I use a wall safe with a biometric lock...

I've just rediscovered this thread. As you have read from Daryl and others living above the 49th, we're not allowed to keep a gun by the bed, for our own safety of course, not to mention that of any enterprising criminal. (We're very egalitarian up here.) We are allowed, however, to use deadly force if we deem our lives to be in danger, but the law makes it pretty difficult to get to a firearm should the need arise. Fortunately, Canadian society seems to be less violent than in the US, generally speaking, so the need to be armed isn't as great... so far. When I read the "Tactical and Personal Defence" threads on the 1911 Forum and see people asking, presumably quite honestly, "What do you carry when you're putting out the garbage/mowing the lawn/taking a c**p" or whatever, I'm appalled! I live in a semi-rural area on the edge of a small town and always say "better wild animals than wild neighbours." Fortunately I have great neighbours; the coyotes and black bears are just around to give the neighbourhood dogs something to bark at- as if they need an excuse.

Grenadier, I'm curious about your biometric safe. I've toyed with the idea of having a handgun stored within easy reach in my new house, (in accordance with federal regs. of course) but have always been suspicious of consumer-grade electronic devices and have been leaning towards a safe with a Simplex (push-buttom mechanical) mechanism such as is made by V-Line. Presumably you have full confidence in yours, though.

Quote:

Freeloader123: "It's just there because it pisses all the right people off."

Not a bad reason at all!

Stuart

Freeloader123
.275 member

Re: A well armed man. [Re: Stuart]
      #178377 - 04/04/11 08:35 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Freeloader123: "It's just there because it pisses all the right people off."

Not a bad reason at all!

Stuart

No, it's not. But there are other "not bad" reasons to keep a gun handy. It turns the (other, entirely different) right people on. Bonanza started this thread by mentioning his girlfriend thought his Glock was sexy. My girlfriend thinks my Colt 1911 is her baby. I tell her that if I don't satisfy, she can always just shoot me with it.

After nearly 4 years I'm still here, so I must be doing something right.

Seriously, all kidding aside, my reckoning is that if you live in an area where you feel the need to install an alarm system in your home, you may one day be well served by a handy firearm. After all, if there are absolutely no threats, what's the alarm for?

I may not be the sharpest tool in the shed, but I have caught on to news reports that indicate that intrusion alarm systems are sold in countries other than the US. Which, if true, leads me to believe that something untoward is going on with some frequency elsewhere. Possibly something even potentially dangerous.

I believe in defense in depth. Alarms are good. Dogs are good. Odds are phenominally stacked against the case, but if I need one guns are also good. Just like the fire extinguishers I've never needed in the shop or kitchen.

Stuart
.275 member

Re: A well armed man. [Re: Freeloader123]
      #178418 - 05/04/11 06:38 AM

Quote:

Freeloader123: Bonanza started this thread by mentioning his girlfriend thought his Glock was sexy. My girlfriend thinks my Colt 1911 is her baby. I tell her that if I don't satisfy, she can always just shoot me with it.

I wouldn't touch that statement with the proverbial 10-foot pole! (And I hope your gf doesn't, either. you might have an off-night, you know.) My gf doesn't like guns but she said that if she lived here, "I'd learn to shoot." Next time she's up for a visit I may take her to the range to try a couple of handguns. But I think she's thinking of bear defence and that's really not a likely scenario here. The only bear I've ever had to shoot was a 2 yr.-old cub that was gnawing on one of the neighbour's alpacas at 3:30am. My Marlin 1894 loaded with 270 gr FP handled that quite nicely. It's probably the only bear in B.C. with an epitaph. The little fella had been tagged by Conservation after being found as an orphan, raised and released 35 miles away.

Stuart

--------------------
Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by
smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles
who really mean it. (Mark Twain)

Freeloader123
.275 member

#178429 - 05/04/11 01:24 PM

Quote:

I wouldn't touch that statement with the proverbial 10-foot pole! (And I hope your gf doesn't, either. you might have an off-night, you know.)

Dude. When I have an off-night it'll be 15 minutes after I'm dead already. She can have the gun, for all the good it'll do her at that point.

The "proverbial 10-foot pole" comment I find rich in potential irony. Do you mind if I mine it?

Stuart
.275 member

#178468 - 06/04/11 10:17 AM

Quote:

The "proverbial 10-foot pole" comment I find rich in potential irony. Do you mind if I mine it?

Whoops...I see what you mean. Well, it's on the Internet now, so I guess it's in the public domain Mine away.

In the meantime, and in deference to the original topic of this thread, I'm going to go back to cleaning my new-to-me-this-morning Ruger Blackhawk .45. Might keep me from putting my other foot in my mouth as I'll need it to get around the gun room.

Stuart

Edited by Stuart (06/04/11 10:18 AM)

Freeloader123
.275 member

#179109 - 15/04/11 06:12 AM

You'll like that Blackhawk, by the way.

I have one in .44 mag.

I used to have one in .357/9mm, but I never shot it so I sold it. Nothing was wrong with it, though.

Stuart
.275 member

#179110 - 15/04/11 06:33 AM

Quote:

You'll like that Blackhawk, by the way.

O yes indeed! I've just made up some test loads with 231 to take to the range. Those cases are sure cavernous. With about 7.5 gr. of 231 I swear there's still an echo in there. I have a .44 Mag (Marlin 1894) as well and am used to seeing a more powder in a case that big. Once I've had a chance to work up some loads I'll take it apart and do some judicious polishing of the internals and slick things up a bit.

Although it might not be my first choice for SD (I'd pick my 1911 for that), staring at the nasty end of that Blackhawk would likely create a lasting impression. Even more sinister than my S&W 625 perhaps.

Stuart

--------------------

Freeloader123
.275 member

#179118 - 15/04/11 09:09 AM

I gave away my one and only .44 mag carbine. A Win. M94. I wanted to leave a friend with no objections about going hog hunting.

Stuart
.275 member

#179119 - 15/04/11 09:30 AM

Quote:

I gave away my one and only .44 mag carbine. A Win. M94. I wanted to leave a friend with no objections about going hog hunting.

The only one with any objections to that would be the hog.

Stuart

--------------------

Freeloader123
.275 member

#179127 - 15/04/11 11:02 AM

The hog didn't have a vote. His wife(not the hog's' the friend's) has gone from "I don't like hunting" to "where's the bacon."

We'll be teaching the daughter how to hunt next year, if the creek don't rise.

Edited by Freeloader123 (15/04/11 11:14 AM)

Freeloader123
.275 member

#192868 - 01/11/11 11:48 AM

I recently had an experience that reenforced my view that it's wise to have a gun handy.

My girlfriend confessed she had a brother who was in prison. The GF wasn't the type you'd suspect to have a family member in prison, but there you go. You can't always judge by appearances.

She didn't tell me her brother was in prison until he was out of prison. She didn't tell me earlier because she was afraid I'd think less of her. But her brother's a serious dope fiend. He'll do anything for drugs. Including armed robbery, arson, and attempted murder. Which is what landed him in prison in the first place. She hoped prison might have changed him. It didn't really, unless you count joining a prison gang "change." When he got out, she saw he was no better than when he went in and then felt she had to tell me about him. Because I was a potential target.

She didn't know who he'd try to kill, but it'd be anyone he thought had enough money to get him his next fix. And while I'm not Warren Buffet or Donald Trump, I'm a moderately successful businessman.

I slept better those few months between his release and his inevitable screw-up that put him back into the system with my buckshot charged Remington 11-87 and my AR-15 within easy reach.

I'm not ashamed to say I simply won't go mano a mano against some hopped up Aryan Brotherhood member, given a better alternative. There are drugs out there that makes the user incredibly death resistant.

Fortunately, a solid hit with some 12 gauge buck or a couple of rounds to the chest from a rifle will normally quiet down a druggie even when fists, feet, knees, elbows, and knives no longer suffice.

As far as I'm concerned, it's a matter of decency for the law to acknowledge my right to possess the tools I decide (not some agency, not some bureaucrat pondering if he/she should give me permission) I need to sleep well, having been informed the odds I'll be rudely awakened have increased dramatically.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 13 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 17832

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com