Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: You Carry? You a "sheep", "wolf" or "sheepdog" type??

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Handguns

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)
Mike_Johnson
.300 member

Reged: 17/10/09
Loc: York, Pa
Re: You Carry? You a "sheep", "wolf" or "sheepdog" type?? [Re: hoppdoc]
      #143921 - 19/10/09 07:35 AM

Sheepdog: GOT SIG?? 226 Combat with Blackwater grips, 20 round mag, or smith 60-3 Pro with night sights, or Bond Derringer .357. Always ready to dance.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: You Carry? You a "sheep", "wolf" or "sheepdog" type?? [Re: Mike_Johnson]
      #143934 - 19/10/09 11:31 AM

Quote:

Sheepdog: GOT SIG?? 226 Combat with Blackwater grips, 20 round mag, or smith 60-3 Pro with night sights, or Bond Derringer .357. Always ready to dance.

Hopefully it will be a tune your are familiar with..

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

ChinaFleetSailor
.224 member

Reged: 19/11/05
Re: You Carry? You a "sheep", "wolf" or "sheepdog" type?? [Re: DarylS]
      #145317 - 07/11/09 10:36 AM

Quote:

I can walk down any street in my fair city at any time of the day or night without a care in the world.

...and I don't need concealed carry!

If that's 'subjugation', I surrender!

It's a good thing you don't need it. Because it isn't an option available to you.

Personally, I enjoy having the option available. I don't have a CHL, because in Texas the restrictions on carrying a gun without a license are so minimal. When I'm on my own property, both at home and work, I can carry. And I can't be arrested for unlawful carry of a weapon in my car. As long as the gun is not in plain view and I'm not doing anything criminal. I'm presumed under the law to be "traveling." And when I am actually traveling, I can carry concealed.

About the only restriction on carrying a gun in Texas that really bothers me is the fact that I'm not allowed to carry a concealed weapon within a thousand feet of a place of execution on the day an execution is to take place.

DAMMIT! That's a lot of territory here in Texas.

In all seriousness, if you're under the impression that we in the states live in fear for our lives and need to pack heat just to work up the courage to head out the door, then get over it.

I live near and work in Dallas. Which is likely a higher crime area than many of those posting so far hail from. And it isn't particularly life threatening. It's pretty safe, actually. If you couldn't walk down the street any time of the day or night, I would have chosen a different spot for my restaurant.

The fact that I can drive around with a loaded handgun in the glove box is just sort of a nice perk for being an American.

Quote:

Look, for the purposes of this thread, you'll just have to ignore us Aussies. We can own as many firearms as we like. We can go hunting whenever we like, there is no bag limit on buffalo and boar, no tags, no open season, no costs other than a tank of fuel and a counter-meal at the pub on the way home. My mates and I can take 7 ducks and seven geese every day of the four-month waterfowl season, at any of the 5 public hunting reserves within 40 minutes of our homes, or on private property of course.

Everything you wrote in that paragraph could apply equally to Texas. Except for the Buffalo. But I think the fact that I can pop a mountain lion any time I run across one sort of makes up for that.

Oh, and the geese. If you think shooting 14 birds a day is something special, you ought to check out our spring snow goose season. Everything short of live decoys is legal, and there is no bag limit.

Think of Texas as Australia but with more options when it comes to personal weaponry. And inferior beer.

Ripp
.577 member

Re: You Carry? You a "sheep", "wolf" or "sheepdog" type?? [Re: ChinaFleetSailor]
      #145370 - 08/11/09 07:39 AM

Quote:

Quote:

The fact that I can drive around with a loaded handgun in the glove box is just sort of a nice perk for being an American.

=================

Agree totally-- I live in one of the lowest crime areas of the U.S.--but I still prefer to carry--for both 2 and 4 legged hostiles..odds are I will never use it--but if I ever do--plan to be prepared..One never knows what kind of crap can come down the road in lifes adventures..even for something as simple as putting an animal out of its misery that has been hit by an auto on the highway --they come in pretty handy..

The U.S. has one of the largest nuclear arsenals as well..Odds are we will never use it but still makes for a heck of a deterrent..feel the same about a handgun or any other gun for that matter...

=============================
Quote:

Oh, and the geese. If you think shooting 14 birds a day is something special, you ought to check out our spring snow goose season. Everything short of live decoys is legal, and there is no bag limit.
++++++++++

As to this --not sure what the limit is now --but back in N Dakota--I know for a while you could shoot geese by the dozens in the spring as there were too many and they were permanently damaging their habitat..kind of like the elephant are now doing in certain parts of Africa..

Ripp

--------------------

Edited by Ripp (08/11/09 08:46 PM)

Checkman
.333 member

Reged: 15/03/08
Loc: Idaho
Re: You Carry? You a "sheep", "wolf" or "sheepdog" type?? [Re: Ripp]
      #145379 - 08/11/09 11:40 AM

I carry both on and off duty. I figure you never know and as the years go by I find myself running into more and more people who remember me.

Just a couple months ago I went home for lunch and the garbage truck was doing it's pickup. One of the garbagemen remembered me taking him to jail on October 31, 2001 for domestic battery. I barely remembered that call. But he was fine and shook my hand. Evidently that arrest got him into AA and he dried out and he and his wife are still together. Actually as a garabage man he probably makes more than me. But the point is as the years go by that experience is becoming common.

However I am a supporter of the 2A and support the Concealed Carry Permit program here in Idaho.

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: You Carry? You a "sheep", "wolf" or "sheepdog" type?? [Re: Checkman]
      #145422 - 09/11/09 02:24 AM

If I lived in the States, I'd be carrying, too.
Pretty safe here, but there's normally a rifle or shotgun handy in the vehicle. I don't walk much, prefer to drive.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Checkman
.333 member

#145425 - 09/11/09 02:44 AM

Chances are I'll never need it, but what if? That's the big thing. What if?

Ripp
.577 member

#145433 - 09/11/09 03:03 AM

Quote:

If I lived in the States, I'd be carrying, too.

The really amazing thing Darryl is in most states where there is concealed carry laws or have just passed such laws..violent crime decreases rapidly...perfect example is Florida--look at their statistics since their laws have opened up more friendly to gun ownership...pretty amazing story really..and yes, if I lived there I too would be packing all the time..

Ripp

--------------------

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #145481 - 09/11/09 05:29 PM

Instead of worrying about carrying firearms during daily life, why not press for removing the criminal problem? Remove the source of the problem. I know easier said than done. Especially with the "ethnic" flavour of much of the problem.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Empire375
.300 member

Reged: 18/08/09
Loc: Victoria, Australia
Re: You Carry? You a "sheep", "wolf" or "sheepdog" type?? [Re: NitroX]
      #145485 - 09/11/09 06:40 PM

Hi NitroX

You have hit the nail on the head. Why are our governments so worried about guns owners when the crim and creeps roam free ?
It seems in Australia we are so entrenched in rewarding or ignoring stupidity that we are going to be in big trouble in the near future (both ethnically and with our own homegrown deadshits)
Its not easier said than done. Its really quite simple. Enforce the law and stop tying up police with politically correct bulldust.
Give them real authority and let them do what we pay them for.

We should all be allowed to carry pistols also

Checkman
.333 member

Re: You Carry? You a "sheep", "wolf" or "sheepdog" type?? [Re: Empire375]
      #145500 - 10/11/09 12:48 AM

I have no answers except that alot of our troubles comes from the fact that there are so many of us. Everywhere. More people equals more trouble.I wonder if nature is going to sock us with some type of massive Die-Off. Isn't that how nature works to keep things in balance? You guys are sportsmen/hunters and know about these things.

Ripp
.577 member

Re: You Carry? You a "sheep", "wolf" or "sheepdog" type?? [Re: Empire375]
      #145501 - 10/11/09 01:30 AM

Quote:

Hi NitroX
Why are our governments so worried about guns owners when the crim and creeps roam free ?

Gee, lets examine that question...
Wwhy would our goverments be so alarmed and worried about US having guns?? Probably because they want FULL power and control over everyone and everything..I know--I sound like a "right wing extremist" when I say that--but, perfect example is the sham for a health care reform package--2000 pages of more useless spending..so the lazy who dont want to work will keep voting the liberal democrates in office...this bill will take care of 2% of the U.S. population--yet with all the fuss one would think the friggin world will come to an end if its not passed...plus the fact more are opposed than support this crap legislation...

--------------------

DarylS
.700 member

#145510 - 10/11/09 02:57 AM

Quote:

Instead of worrying about carrying firearms during daily life, why not press for removing the criminal problem? Remove the source of the problem. I know easier said than done. Especially with the "ethnic" flavour of much of the problem.

Exactly - I spent 30 years of my working life as a Peace Officer & the problem is exactly in the 'court's hands, ie; politics, courts & judiceries ARE the problem, at least here, they are.

For expample - when a proposal was made by the RCMPolice Commission for ammendments to the gun bill to make it workable and have some effect on crime, the Attorney General of Canada stated that: crime prevention and having more criminals doing extended time was not the 'drive' of the legislation. That, my friends is pretty much a quote.

So, yeah - most often, I have 'something' to settle arguements with, if the 'need' arrose, tha this.

--------------------
Daryl

JohnWilkes
.300 member

Reged: 19/01/09
Loc: SA
      #145553 - 10/11/09 09:55 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Exactly - I spent 30 years of my working life as a Peace Officer & the problem is exactly in the 'court's hands, ie; politics, courts & judiceries ARE the problem, at least here, they are.

For expample - when a proposal was made by the RCMPolice Commission for ammendments to the gun bill to make it workable and have some effect on crime, the Attorney General of Canada stated that: crime prevention and having more criminals doing extended time was not the 'drive' of the legislation. That, my friends is pretty much a quote.

Good point Daryl as a former Police officer I wholeheartedly agree, the inability(unwillingness?) of the courts to meet out proper deterrents is largely the cause of much of what we see in terms of unchecked criminality and the disenchantment of law enforcement officers.

Bail in this state is seen as a "comply if you like" option with many offenders in a revolving
door of breach and new bail, breach and new bail. This was not the case 20yrs ago. Non payment of fines and costs warrants are a thing of the past.

Marrakai is right Australia is a lucky country....but, and it is a big but, most Aussies do not know how lucky they are. Because they live in an unarguably safe society they find it hard to grasp the concept of one that is less so. It is very hard for them to understand the volatile dynamics of
much of the rest of the world.I do not say this in anyway to belittle or put down my adopted country
merely to explain to others how it is here.

A simple example: when I first came to this country(late 80s) I went for a walk during my first week down Rundle Mall a pleasant pedestrian shopping street in Adelaide. Outside various shops catering to teenage fashion were piled school bags and backpacks, this was because I later found out these shops were concerned with theft by schoolkids so made them leave bags outside.
Having been living in the UK and Middle East where an unattended bag was (and is) a cause for
concern it struck me most very strongly how lucky and safe Australia was (and still in world terms
is).

Sadly even here violent crime is rising. Shootings involving illegal handguns even in Adelaide (a city not noted as being particularly "hardboiled")are markedly increased. During my time as a copper
the number of knives used in assaults and found in possesion of undesirables in city night spots etc rose dramaticaly.

There is a definite need for a new look at the whole crime and criminality issue. Building super max
jails isn't the answer and nor is the current slap on the wrist and a chat with the psych and the social worker.

Having lived and worked in countries where I had to carry a personal defence handgun I am quite glad I don't have to here. Having said that if I lived in RSA or certain parts of the US etc would I do so again? You bet I would.

--------------------
Horses for courses
Guns for game
Hounds for grounds

ChinaFleetSailor
.224 member

#145580 - 10/11/09 04:07 PM

Quote:

Look at the reaction to the Fort Hood shooting, Nitrox.

As far as the Dept. of Homeland Security is concerned, the major danger is the imaginary anti-Muslim backlash.

Something that has never happened in U.S. history.

The Obama administration, and the political left in general, are convinced that the "right" is the danger. And they won't be deterred from their conviction no matter how many non-Muslims are killed by Muslims and how few are killed by the right. No matter what happens, the left is ideologically committed to the thought that the major danger to the U.S. are the Southern Baptists. Who's only crime against me, as far as I'm concerned, when living in what's known as the Bible Belt, is preventing me from buying beer from midnight Saturday until Monday.

Oh, the horror! I had to buy all the beer I needed for the week-end by sometime on Saturday or else go without.

What you guys outside the country have to understand is that many of us see this expression of our rights is not an expression of our fear over crime.

It's an expression of the fact that we won't be separated from our rights. I jumped on the bandwagon in the late '90's, not because I was mugged or robbed. But because of Janet Reno's attitude toward the fear of crime. It was inappropriate, she said, for people to demand the right to carry when the crime rate was going down. On the other hand, it was perfectly appropriate for the populace to demand the government take greater and greater control over their lives due to the fear of crime, whether or not that fear was warranted.

The fact of the matter is I see these concealed carry laws as the antidote to the left enshrining their political preferences as a matter of law. Part of the antidote, not the entire cure. I'm glad you guys in the Commonwealth feel secure enough in your manhood to walk down the street unarmed, therefore you don't need concealed carry.

But I think you're missing the point. I won't tolerate any infringement on my rights, even if I don't believe I'll need to exercise that right in the near future.

Why do I want liberal concealed carry laws? Because I value freedom.

DarylS
.700 member

Re: You Carry? You a "sheep", "wolf" or "sheepdog" type?? [Re: ChinaFleetSailor]
      #145608 - 11/11/09 04:51 AM

Quote:

But I think you're missing the point. I won't tolerate any infringement on my rights, even if I don't believe I'll need to exercise that right in the near future.

Why do I want liberal concealed carry laws? Because I value freedom.

Hits the 'thread' right on the head. Spot-on, ChinaFleetSailor

--------------------
Daryl

JohnWilkes
.300 member

Reged: 19/01/09
Loc: SA
      #145625 - 11/11/09 12:06 PM

Sorry if my post caused you angst ChinaFleet. Not intended.I am most certainly not claiming any superiority of one nation over another and in fact if you read my post you will see this.
In fact this thread covers two distinct issues:

1. That which pertains to crime and particularly armed and violent crime wherever it may be in the
world and peoples need/legal ability/desire or whatever to carry defensive weapons.

2. The second and USA specific issue being that crime or no crime threat or no threat it is a constitutional right of an American citizen to bear arms.

Thomas Jefferson I believe put it thus "It is the right and DUTY,of the people to be at all times armed".

Not just a right but a duty. I think it is this that some do not understand.

From a personal point of view the American Bill of Rights is the most splendid
political document it is a tragedy to see its erosion. 2nd amendment badly chipped away, 10th
effectivley gone. 1st amendment debased to benefit pornographers and whatever.

--------------------
Horses for courses
Guns for game
Hounds for grounds

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#145653 - 11/11/09 09:10 PM

Quote:

The Obama administration, and the political left in general, are convinced that the "right" is the danger. And they won't be deterred from their conviction no matter how many non-Muslims are killed by Muslims and how few are killed by the right. No matter what happens, the left is ideologically committed to the thought that the major danger to the U.S. are the Southern Baptists. Who's only crime against me, as far as I'm concerned, when living in what's known as the Bible Belt, is preventing me from buying beer from midnight Saturday until Monday.

Well Obama's "origins" show whom he is interested in protecting.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

ChinaFleetSailor
.224 member

Re: You Carry? You a "sheep", "wolf" or "sheepdog" type?? [Re: JohnWilkes]
      #145757 - 13/11/09 05:27 AM

Quote:

Sorry if my post caused you angst ChinaFleet. Not intended.I am most certainly not claiming any superiority of one nation over another and in fact if you read my post you will see this.
In fact this thread covers two distinct issues:

1. That which pertains to crime and particularly armed and violent crime wherever it may be in the
world and peoples need/legal ability/desire or whatever to carry defensive weapons.

2. The second and USA specific issue being that crime or no crime threat or no threat it is a constitutional right of an American citizen to bear arms.

Thomas Jefferson I believe put it thus "It is the right and DUTY,of the people to be at all times armed".

Not just a right but a duty. I think it is this that some do not understand.

From a personal point of view the American Bill of Rights is the most splendid
political document it is a tragedy to see its erosion. 2nd amendment badly chipped away, 10th
effectivley gone. 1st amendment debased to benefit pornographers and whatever.

Your post didn't cause me angst. I must admit my government causes me angst. It seems to have slipped its leash.

I have no interest in telling people how to live their own lives. But here in the states we have a particular theory of government. That a just government derives its powers from the consent of the governed.

Consequently, it is unjust for a government to try to exercise powers that no one consented to give it.

The thing about carrying guns is, it isn't so much that it's dangerous to walk our streets. Although if you believe your TV news, I can understand how you'd get that impression. If I believed one quarter of the crap I was told about the U.S. when stationed overseas I'd have never come home.

It's more of a matter of reminding our government who's in charge. In case you haven't noticed, we have a criminal class in congress that constantly needs reminding.

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
      #145782 - 13/11/09 01:34 PM

Quote:

Well Obama's "origins" show whom he is interested in protecting.

This is absolutely true.

Hussein's first words after the Islamist extremist attack at Ft Hood were to admonish people not to jump to conclusions.

The communist bastard faking his way thru the Presidency is a danger to all freedom-loving Americans, not just those who exercise their right to carry. His inexperience and pie-in-the-sky beliefs are a particular threat to Christians and Jews, though truth is, leftists that support him will have a rude awakening when Sharia law comes to their city or county.

Now we read in the leftist press that Hasan is deranged and crazy because he did what he did. They say his motives weren't political, they were inspired by his insanity...

Who cares?

And those who wear a dynamite girdle and spread their arms, guts and heads all over veggie markets in Iraq, Indonesia and elsewhere are somber, thinking individuals?

Hasan's attack was an Al Queda attack and needs to be treated as such, and the Army needs to get its act together and identify Muslim Islamist extremists within its ranks and deal with them.

Obviously we have a very few members of our armed forces who are commited Islamist extremists, sane or not. Tolerating them or respecting their views is no way to deal with them. Pretending to respect Islam will not protect anyone. Even being a Muslim will not be of any value in protecting oneself from their rampages. Remember Sadat. Sadat though a Muslim was killed by just such people.

There is no rational way to deal with Islamist extremists. Political correctness is no answer to the internal threat.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

Edited by 9.3x57 (13/11/09 10:00 PM)

Dphariss
.300 member

Reged: 18/04/06
Loc: Montana
Re: You Carry? You a "sheep", "wolf" or "sheepdog" type?? [Re: 9.3x57]
      #146150 - 18/11/09 03:09 PM

It is better to be armed and not need it that to need a firearm and not have it.

If I get very far from home I have an AR and at least 4 magazines with me in the vehicle. Its a carry over from my time spent when we were "killing commies for our mommies". I had abandoned this practice for years did not resume until recently. But I find I need a flat-top with a scope now.

The incident at FT Hood could be recreated at a Wal-Mart or mall near you just as easy as not. If it does and you are unarmed you better have a place to hide or a door to get out of and hope its not "covered" from the outside.
The cops will arrive in time to count the dead and wounded.
We, the general population at least, have been put to sleep on the religious war we are fighting and this is very dangerous. Ft Hood was one of many ignored wakeup calls we have had. 9-11, the DC sniper, several fatal attacks by Islamic members of the US military on their comrades both abroad and in the states.
Islam is NOT nor has it every been a peaceful religion. They have converted by the sword from day one. But its not PC to say this.

Dan

Ripp
.577 member

Re: You Carry? You a "sheep", "wolf" or "sheepdog" type?? [Re: Dphariss]
      #305610 - 22/09/17 01:08 AM

Saw this thread from days gone by..perhaps even more appropriate in todays world than a short 9 years ago..my how times change, and sadly, IMHO, NOT for the better regarding the world view...

Ripp

--------------------

DarylS
.700 member

#305614 - 22/09/17 03:19 AM

Amazing what 'changes' have occurred since 2009!

--------------------
Daryl

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#305635 - 22/09/17 08:21 PM

The Sheep, Wolf and Sheepdog analogy is also often used by members of the military and police.

IMO it is a good analogy to get basic and simple attitudes entrenched in the forces that support the system. Nowadays I have a certain cynical view of it all and the "sheepdog" supporting the system is actually the paid simplistic lackey of the "wolves" in charge. After all a sheepdog is a simple disciplined beast that does not question its nmasters.

It is a not warrior, it is largely a willing slave. Patted on the head if it obeys well, beaten if it doesn't. But still happy and loyal after being beaten especially when given a bone.

Therefore my question, "what about lions?" way back on the first page.

Yes, I have become very cynical.

Quote:

Hi NitroX

You have hit the nail on the head. Why are our governments so worried about guns owners when the crim and creeps roam free ?
It seems in Australia we are so entrenched in rewarding or ignoring stupidity that we are going to be in big trouble in the near future (both ethnically and with our own homegrown deadshits)
Its not easier said than done. Its really quite simple. Enforce the law and stop tying up police with politically correct bulldust.
Give them real authority and let them do what we pay them for.

It is simple. The reason they concentrate on the law abiding community is because the crime is merely the excuse to assert controls on so called free people.

As Daryl and Ripp say, a lot has changed since 2009. We have all moved further down the path towards the collars on our necks being tightened another notch.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
      #305660 - 23/09/17 05:47 PM

The OP was taken from the following book, I believe.
On Killing: The Psychological Cost of Learning to Kill in War and Society. by Dave Grossman

I have as yet not read this but believe it to be very good to help understand the psychology behind 3 basic people types. Just remember there are overlapping between groups so there are no clear cut lines.

Australia politically is a Democracy. In reality it is a democratic- in appearance- socialist state at this time. eg. Our constitution states that no part of Aust. can be ceded or controll given to another country/foreign body. Yet we have world heritage listed areas. The UN controls/rules these and we administer them. Re the UN. For a UN resolution to be adopted by the US it has to go before and voted on by parliament. In Aust our Ambassador to UN just has to sign it, no debating it and voting on it by our elected reps. In Aust we live in a fools paradise at this time.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 23 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 24402

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com