Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: the new one

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting dogs

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
peter
removed

Reged: 11/04/07
Loc: denmark
the new one
      #93958 - 10/01/08 06:24 AM

hi all

i lost my golden last spring, and since i never was any good with only one dog(they wear out to soon) i have been looking for the new family member for the better part of a year. the reason for the long wait was that i wanted to try a new breed as a hunting dog.

the alaskan malamute.

the litter was born the day before yesterday(06/01-08), and it went 2 males and 3 females.
i got first choise of the males.

first pic of the pups.

(yes i know hairy little rats at this point.)

i will start to visit the kennel in 3 weeks.

the training will start in 5 weeks.

and i get to take him home after 8 weeks(danish law)

so i will try to do a photo shoot about the training while that goes on and then the usual spamming of your bandwith with photos of the fun in general.

peter

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
AspenHill
Sponsor

Reged: 08/01/03
Loc: Vermont, USA
Re: the new one [Re: peter]
      #93960 - 10/01/08 06:48 AM

Be aware this is a very active breed. They are born to run and it is a strong instinct. The dog will like to go cross country so I hope you have lots of property! What kind of hunting will you do with a malamute?

Nice horses, are they Gypsy Vanners?

--------------------
~Ann

Everyday spent outdoors is the best day of my life.

Aspen Hill Adventures

peter
removed

Re: the new one [Re: AspenHill]
      #93961 - 10/01/08 07:14 AM

thanks ann

i do know the breed, and belive me if you want to se active, take a 2 year old GSP.

the malamutes job will be for the deer hunting. both before and after the shot especially after the shot, it will proberly get its swisshound training merits before year one, thats what the other dogs i had through my fingers did, so we will see.

the horses are indeed gypsy cobs, we are a small studfarm who try to make quality on a yearly bacis.
the term gypsy vanner is californian publicity stunt where dennis made some people belive that he knew something, the original breeders dident, it is turning around and people are leaving him by the boat load now.

the term would be gypsy cob, gypsy horse or heavy cob take your pick and if you get around them, i know you would love them. feel free to look at our website www.axelved.com it is getting a update one of these days.

peter

AspenHill
Sponsor

#93962 - 10/01/08 07:18 AM

My last two horses were draft/thoroughbred crosses and they were good solid mounts. I've always been partial to some color, like your horses. I no longer have any horses, too expensive, but maybe sometime in the future I will have another.

I've never had need to use a dog for deer hunting. In most places here it isn't allowed, that said, I could probably train my bulldog to pull a deer carcass out of the mountains.

--------------------
~Ann

Aspen Hill Adventures

peter
removed

#93963 - 10/01/08 07:51 AM

i hope your future brings horses back into your life, i wouldent know what to do with all the spare time i would have if i didn't have the horses.

having a dog with you hunting, to me is not about need. it is about the entire expirence being out there.
i dont use the dog to haze the deer, i use them for stalking and if i make a bad shot(yes that happens even to me ) the dog will save the day if proberly trained, i have been training hunting dogs for over 20 years now.

i have been hunting with malamutes a few times now and i am impressed with there temper and attitude
and the will to work with you.

peter

Edited by peter (10/01/08 07:52 AM)

AspenHill
Sponsor

#93975 - 10/01/08 10:53 AM

I had horses from age 7 until age 43. I grew tired of farriers and the hay growers jacking prices. With corn now becoming popular as heating fuel and motor fuel, prices continue to climb unreasonably. I don't have the ability to house a horse at present on my land, no barn. Boarding is also very pricey. But we'll see, I can retire in 11 years and will only be mid-50's in age. Perhaps I can still handle a horse then!

Looking forward to your dog diary! I don't think I have ever heard of anyone using a malamute to hunt so it will be neat to see your training program.

--------------------
~Ann

Aspen Hill Adventures

peter
removed

#94183 - 13/01/08 11:23 PM

here are pics of the parents.

the father: Moon Song's Mahogany Kazan

and the mother: Moon Song's Darkblue Misty

I CAN'T WAIT

peter
removed

#94239 - 14/01/08 09:57 PM

new pictures came in today

i will be either this one:

or this one:

shit time slows down when you have to wait for something good.

peter

JabaliHunter
.400 member

Reged: 16/05/07
Loc: England
      #94246 - 14/01/08 10:53 PM

That malamute is certainly a fine looking hound! I envy people who have the time and space fot dogs. I'd love one, but keep moving around and they won't let me take it to the office here!

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: the new one [Re: JabaliHunter]
      #94250 - 14/01/08 11:31 PM

Definitely a cool climate dog.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

peter
removed

Re: the new one [Re: NitroX]
      #94341 - 16/01/08 01:43 AM

Quote:

That malamute is certainly a fine looking hound! I envy people who have the time and space fot dogs. I'd love one, but keep moving around and they won't let me take it to the office here!

change office quick ! on a more serious note i know im lucky to be able to bring the dogs with me everywhere.
Quote:

Definitely a cool climate dog.

oh yeah, they are good in the snow, but i know of a few of them down under, also some in queensland.
so dont let the heat stop you john, they adapt quick. are you still on the lookout for a new one ?
this breed are not for everyone though, you need some dog training under your belt to make these work for you.

alaskan malamute in AUS:

http://www.dogs.net.au/snotreck/
i dont know about the name though SNOT RECK
http://koolrunningsmals.com/

enjoy

peter

Edited by peter (16/01/08 02:01 AM)

Shackleton
.300 member

Reged: 11/08/07
Loc: Iowa
      #94682 - 19/01/08 10:49 AM

Beautiful dogs-unusual choice for hunting purposes(at least around here), but they are definitely smart enough to learn-I heard of a person who had a Doberman trained as a bird dog-the guys hunting with Labs laughed until time to hunt. The Doberman outdid the Labs every time. My wife and I would love to have a malamute but space doesn't permit a dog like that right now.

--------------------
"I do not kill with my gun, he who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father. I kill with my heart."--Stephen King

peter
removed

Re: the new one [Re: Shackleton]
      #94745 - 20/01/08 04:55 AM

hi shackleton

i started with the usual hunting dogs(retrivers etc) and still like them for some work, but it just got to easy training them. i still train other peoples dogs when time permits but wanted something this time with a bit more bite and brains, i claim that i can make any dog fetch in a hunting situation by now so i wanted to raise the bar some.

i was slegdeing with a friend in norway when he got the call, that a turist had run into a moose and could he please go kill it(besides him catering to turists with dogslegdeing tours, he was also the sweissdog handler in that region) so he asked if i would join him for a little hunting in the morning(it was almost nightfall)stupid question.
i got picked up the next morning at my hut and we vent driving for a ½ hour before we arrived at the place where the car crash occured.
we unloaded 3 dogs(alaskan malamutes) and he gave me a belt, a 5 meter line and a dog.
he then put his lead dog on the trail and it went silent away on the track, he then asked me if i was cool with the concept of one dog pulling me on the skies. i nodded and was thankfull that he couldent see my face looking bewilderd back at him in the darkness.

with a HEP, off we went into the dark forest, anybody having expirence with a skilift would know this feeling where you relax and let the dog pull you along with very little effort, the lead dogs traks was getting vicible in the snow, as first light dawned.
we followed the tracks of both dog and moose in the silent forest, wich is one of the most magical moments i have ever expirenced.
There was very few blood drops in the track, just enough so we knew that we were on the right animal. After 3-4 miles we heard the dog make sounds, a barking haul of sorts, a short distance from us in the forest.
Bjoern offered me the rifle for the coup de grace, but i declined as i dident know anything about the weapon in question. it was a remington rolling block in 50-70.
we snuck closer to the animal as the dog was working it by keeping up the barking and hauling, working around it, so the brize couldent alarm it, we came in at about 50 meters and saw a pinn moose with a broken rear leg standing in some small birch.
Bjoern checked where his dog were and then took a quick shot at the moose, KABOOOOM and a large smoke cloud later, i saw the moose bowl over in a way, i never saw them do it, when i shot them with my .30 class guns.
With the animal down i thought that we were in for the work part and then some, but to my supprice we just took the moose out, and tied the legs to the body. bjoern then proceded to fasten the lines from the 3 dogs to the head of the moose.
JEM he ordered and the dogs pulled the moose nice and easy through the snow with us coming up from the rear.
after 30 minutes we had a stop, made a fire and had lunch and took a short nap while the dogs were resting.
after rest and lunch it was getting cold and late, so we set a faster pace making it back to the car in an hour and a half or something like that.
the moose whent in the back of the pickup and we went home to a couppel of hours of skinning and butchering, before we could get fed ourselves.

this was my first expirence with malamutes and hunting with large calibers, after this i was hooked and still am, allthough this will be my first malamute, i know which way to go with them.

peter

Edited by peter (21/01/08 06:32 AM)

Anonymous
Unregistered

#94749 - 20/01/08 05:09 AM

Peter,

Very nice doggies!!

peter
removed

Re: the new one [Re: ]
      #94829 - 21/01/08 06:37 AM

thanks sinner

you should try this, the dbl. fits nicely on the sled and if DG is the order of the day polar bear is always an option, if you need company that knows the way around dogs and sleds just call

peter

AspenHill
Sponsor

#94896 - 22/01/08 01:18 AM

where can one get harnesses made for dogs to pull?

--------------------
~Ann

Aspen Hill Adventures

JabaliHunter
.400 member

Reged: 16/05/07
Loc: England
      #94897 - 22/01/08 01:47 AM

That sounds like a sport that could catch on - cross-country dog snowboarding!!

peter
removed

Re: the new one [Re: JabaliHunter]
      #94924 - 22/01/08 09:15 AM

hi ann

try this link www.sleddogcentral.com there is anything regarding pulling and sleding incl harness

hi jabalihunter

it is a sport allready, its called skijoring and is great fun, try it with rollerblades if you have a deathwish.

regards

peter

AspenHill
Sponsor

#94926 - 22/01/08 09:51 AM

Thanks Peter, I'll have a look. I would like to get my bulldog pulling a sled, mostly to haul firewood. He is strong enough, I think he is half draft horse!

--------------------
~Ann

Aspen Hill Adventures

peter
removed

#94967 - 22/01/08 07:52 PM

your wellcome ann

go for a soft X harness, it is better to start out with regarding adjustment.

New pictures in: puppies 2 weeks old

peter

peter
removed

#95348 - 28/01/08 10:13 PM

so 3 weeks has gone and new pictures arrived

feeding time

up and exploring the world

number 1

number 2

they should be in the 5 pounds class now, they were 4 pounds last week.

peter

AspenHill
Sponsor

#95370 - 29/01/08 03:43 AM

Get a soda can and throw a few coins in it.

When the pups are ready to go to their new home gather the ones you like and shake the can. It doesn't have to be shaken loudly, just enough to get a response from them. The one who is interested in the noise is the one you take and the one who is afraid of the noise is the one you leave.

This was how I chose my lab out of the group of pups.

--------------------
~Ann

Aspen Hill Adventures

peter
removed

#95374 - 29/01/08 04:14 AM

i start the testing in 2 weeks time, it will be with little blood trails about 3-5 feet long with a treat in the end, or a drenched pheasant wing pulled over the lawn for the same distance. the testing will continue up until they are ready to go home. then i will chose.

best regards

peter

peter
removed

#95553 - 31/01/08 03:12 AM

i was down by the kennel today, looking at the pups.

my better half doing some powerlifting(6 pounds now)pup in the picture is fargo

no wonder the little bastards get so big, this little one(frodo) almost drew a quart of blod from my thumb

fun time

feeding frenzy

only 1 ½ week to the testing starts

best regards

peter

AspenHill
Sponsor

#95581 - 31/01/08 11:32 AM

Growing fast!

--------------------
~Ann

Aspen Hill Adventures

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#95607 - 31/01/08 08:54 PM

Those puppies look like trouble.

Get two!

--------------------
John aka NitroX

peter
removed

#95610 - 31/01/08 09:35 PM

yes they are growing fast and they are becoming trouble in the fun way.

john allthough they are cute little hell raisers, i dont think i could raise and train more than one malamute at a time, they are smart as hell. so training has to be very focused. and since im a man i cant do more than one thing at a time.

besides that it would kill sako if i took 2 home with me.

just came to think about it, i can bring the puppy with me roebuck hunting in may that should be a blast.(the f*** comes to mind again)

peter

peter
removed

#96002 - 05/02/08 04:55 AM

just a few new pics:

the evil pack considers how to get the kid away form the mother so they can maul and eat him

plan did'nt work and they went into the box for awhile to sleep the bloodlust off

fargo pup no. 1

frodo pup no. 2

peter
removed

#96561 - 11/02/08 07:57 PM

5 weeks old, now we are getting somewhere.

fargo

frodo

enjoy

peter

peter
removed

#96698 - 14/02/08 06:46 AM

hi all

niicky and i was at the kennel today, this is getting to be better and better.

the boys greeted me by having a tug of war with my boot.

then we went inside, where i snuck me to a picture of niicky, she was long gone in puppy heaven.

then i sat and did some tests(stupid excuse for playing with puppies)

and frodo desided to maul me, he is so big now.

as of today fargo is leading the race, but frodo is very close.

peter

AspenHill
Sponsor

#96735 - 14/02/08 10:11 PM

Wow, they are growing up to be very big boys. Frodo looks to be the largest one?

--------------------
~Ann

Aspen Hill Adventures

peter
removed

#96737 - 14/02/08 10:53 PM

Quote:

Wow, they are growing up to be very big boys. Frodo looks to be the largest one?

he is a real butterball, same bone structure as fargo, he just carries more weight .
at the testing yesterday, fargo was abel to concentrate longer on the task at hand, and that is what im looking for at this age.

regards

peter

AspenHill
Sponsor

#96803 - 15/02/08 09:52 PM

OK, I am picking one - Frodo, he has the look.

--------------------
~Ann

Aspen Hill Adventures

AspenHill
Sponsor

#97137 - 20/02/08 10:58 PM

OK, who did you pick?

--------------------
~Ann

Aspen Hill Adventures

peter
removed

#97165 - 21/02/08 05:06 AM

Quote:

OK, who did you pick?

and the winner is (besides me)

FARGO he came in at the last tests far ahead of frodo, wery strong prey drive and a abillity to focus far better than his age would allow.

he allready knows who to punk to get affection and treats

real focus and a good stare

good build and movments

best regards

peter

AspenHill
Sponsor

#97196 - 21/02/08 12:03 PM

Takes me back to the day I brought my black lab home. As small as she was she learned to sit the very first day. Have fun with the training, playing and growing!

--------------------
~Ann

Aspen Hill Adventures

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#97531 - 24/02/08 11:21 PM

Well done Peter. Fargo looks like a lovely pup.

Good name for an Alaskan Malamute too.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Double_Trouble
.375 member

Reged: 27/04/06
Loc: Canada
      #101946 - 08/04/08 06:48 AM

Peter:
Well done !
what a great looking pup! ,,, you will have a great time with him I'm sure.
I am thinking that both you and Fargo are the winners, he is a lucky dog to be going to a good home and you are fortunate to have such a fine looking dog!

Enjoy the hell out of him !

Congrats !

DT

--------------------
Double Trouble,
Speak not of what you do not know.
Listen up when it's time to.

Double_Trouble
.375 member

#101947 - 08/04/08 06:50 AM

Peter:
I forgot to ask ,,,,how does Sako like his new room mate ?

DT

--------------------
Double Trouble,

peter
removed

Re: the new one [Re: Double_Trouble]
      #101972 - 08/04/08 05:12 PM

sako loves his little pal, they spend all the hours of the day together.

new pics later today

peter

peter
removed

#101974 - 08/04/08 06:20 PM

here are a few new pics of the boys playing.

the proud leader and his sidekick

rough housing

please remove this annoying little prick, he got sharp teeth

enjoy

peter

Double_Trouble
.375 member

#101985 - 08/04/08 10:07 PM

Peter:
Sako looks like the proud new big brother ready to show his new buddy the ropes. It's great that they get along so well and Sako looks as patient as a saint!

We have a cat at home that was there long befor Bosco came and they still dont get along....Bosco only wants to check him out but Bunker (named from the sand trap that i rescused him from off the golf course when he was a kitten i could hold in the palm of my hand)will have no part of that big wet snout in his face and hisses and swats at him if he gets too close.... its a shame but now Bosco rules the house and Bunker rules the garage.

Great photos Peter ...please keep them coming. I have others of Bosco that I will forward when time permits,,,, I am offsite today and not at my own computer but will send tomorrow.

BTW ,,, the name Fargo.... I likes! (very fitting from a climatic standpoint and was a great movie too)

DT

--------------------
Double Trouble,

peter
removed

Re: the new one [Re: Double_Trouble]
      #101989 - 08/04/08 10:48 PM

the problem with the name is that it is to close to sako so his calling name now is balto(yes my daughter picked that)

i will post some more pictures soon.

peter

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#102070 - 10/04/08 12:31 AM

Nice photos of the pair. Looks like the "puppy" won't take long to be the "big" brother.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

peter
removed

#102076 - 10/04/08 01:47 AM

john you are so right.

balto is already 16 kg and with sakos 32 kg he is closing in fast. i recon that in3 months he has past him, but they are good boys when playing and when sako wants to do his things alone he just speeds up.

best regards

peter

peter
removed

#107918 - 23/06/08 03:14 AM

a small update on the little one, well actually not so little anymore, he weighs 32-33 kg(60 pounds) and is a nice looking young dog now,at least we think so.
but niicky, my better, half wanted to see if the breeders society would think so as well. so she went to show him at a local show where several other malamute pup's were shown.

and the verdict was: best pup in the class, very promising, and invited to best in show.

well other people like him too

cheers

peter

AspenHill
Sponsor

#107955 - 23/06/08 10:07 PM

Congratulations! He is really beautiful and he looks like a very nice dog in personality. They way he travels and his facial expression show he is very social.

--------------------
~Ann

Aspen Hill Adventures

peter
removed

#117401 - 22/10/08 07:49 AM

so it has been awhile since news about balto were shared.

first off he is not so littel anymore he has crossed the 100 pounds line and then some.
he is about this high over the shoulder(the barrels are 28")

he is camera shy or im not as good as niicky

good track !!! he is very honest with his tracking, if it is a fresh track he is all over it, if it is old he couldent be bothered.

he found the deer, now he needs to stay down ahh well he is not 1 year yet

i will get better to post pictures, he did his first live track this summer only 150 meters but ace it and proud as hell tryed to pull the roe buck back to me

enjoy

peter

peter
removed

#118198 - 03/11/08 08:51 AM

sako, balto and me

peter

peter
removed

#120610 - 08/12/08 07:51 AM

well he was out working this friday, i had invited a friend of mine, that couldent quite get the stalking of roe deer, to end with a deer on the ground. so he came up to my place to get a little instructions and a nice walk with the rifle.
we had a nice allthough short walk wich turned into a stalk on a young roe and he let the rifle talk at about 80 meters, the caliber was 9,3x62 so the animal should be there on the ground but it was not...
i was not too unhappy with the results(i saw the bullet hit and knew that it would be around there somewhere but the chance of balto getting some expirence was to good to let go.
i told me mate that the animal was dead, but i would get the dog anyway for the training, he agreed allthough with a pale and nervous face

so i let balto go from the place of the hit, lots of blood spoor there. An after 80 meters this:

is it completly dead ?

with that hole it should be !!

yup!! dead at both ends

so he started barking while sitting by the roe

and he wishes you all happy hollidays

peter

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
      #120669 - 09/12/08 01:12 AM

Peter

Great Story...fun to watch them grow up before your eyes...looks like the training is going well..congrats..

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

peter
removed

Re: the new one [Re: Ripp]
      #120672 - 09/12/08 01:32 AM

thanks ripp

yes he is getting to be a big boy now, my only problem is putting a break on his learning curve, because he is getting to smart for his own good(the idea of hunting for himself is getting the better of him every now and then)
still him not being a year old yet, he gets some leeway.

cheers

peter

peter
removed

when pigs fly [Re: peter]
      #122069 - 24/12/08 04:39 AM

i dont know what is up, but depending on your beliefs, it might be the second coming of christ. rebirth of muhammed(by a man as far as i remember), or ragnarok itself.

you deside for yourself.

happy hollidays and a prosporus new year to all

peter

peter
removed

sako and balto [Re: peter]
      #125466 - 31/01/09 03:04 AM

small update:

season is over for me, so the boy's get there well deserved rest.

but being only just one year, 100 pounds and one who bores easy, there is allways a little mischeif or just an annoying streak.

but being old and wiser, some times means that you can ignore them to silence, but only as a compromise, ahh well he is warm at least.

best regards

peter

Edited by peter (31/01/09 03:05 AM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 6953

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com