Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Here's Bosco

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting dogs

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
Double_Trouble
.375 member

Reged: 27/04/06
Loc: Canada
Re: Here's Bosco [Re: Double_Trouble]
      #78002 - 05/05/07 01:07 AM

Here’s the latest on the Bosco broadcast!

Last night my daughter took the big fella out in the backyard and he was off the leash as that part of the yard is fenced. That same part of the yard also has pool in it. Since the weather is not yet warm enough for swimming (mid 60’s to 70’s [mid teens to low 20’s C]) the pool still has the winter cover on it and is laden with water from rain and melted snow.

Now Bosco has been in the yard everyday since Saturday last and has not even bothered with the pool but for some reason (getting older and braver) last night he decided to do his best Jonny Weissmuller imitation and jump in. The only one who saw it was my daughter and she came running in all panicked with Bosco under her arm dripping wet. Well she put him down and he thought that it was great fun being all wet and decided to make a B line for the living room and give a good coat cleaning shake. My daughter thought that by yelling at him to STOP that would do the trick…. I must say I was laughing over the entire escapade unfolding in front of me but so I could be seen.

My wife explained to my eldest that he was just a baby and that yelling at him wasn’t the way to go.
I asked what happened after he hit the water and she said he swam to the edge and I lifted him out (she was on the verge of tears…. She is more than fond of this little guy! And she too is learning)

Bosco was given a good drying and warming wipe with a nearby bath towel and order was once again restored by that I mean the goofy pup could bound and stumble around the kitchen and living room while showing off to all that he was a great swimmer and he was sure that his gold medal presentation would be something that none of us would want to miss!

It’s going to be hell once that pool is opened for the summer… I better stock up on liner patches!

DT

--------------------
Double Trouble,
Speak not of what you do not know.
Listen up when it's time to.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #78027 - 05/05/07 01:50 PM

DT

You are lucky with Bosco. As a pup or even older if I pointed a camera at Siegfried he would run full speed at it and launch himself at it. More than once I got a camera in the eye. He was taught not to jump on people, but he jumped at cameras for a sniff and closer look.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Double_Trouble
.375 member

Re: Here's Bosco [Re: NitroX]
      #78191 - 08/05/07 06:38 AM

Lolol,,,,,Siegfried sounds like he was a fun dog, Ican picture that lunge of which you speak.

yeah Bosco doesnt give the camera a second glance just keeps sniffing and biting at the foilage trying to rid himself of his leash,,,, in the field i let him run without the leash when I know he is still catchable ... those days will soon end and I am trying to train him to the whistle at present but he's got a lot of pup and play in him.

DT

--------------------
Double Trouble,

peter
removed

Reged: 11/04/07
Loc: denmark
      #78228 - 08/05/07 11:40 PM

Hi DT

if you have a controllede place(he cant run to far away) hide when he runs off, and wait for him to find out that you vanished. shouldent take more than 15 min before he come bolting after your. i do so that i can see them but they cant see me, when they start to seem nervous you call or whistle and lots of praise when they return. they learn the whistle real quick and never forget thats why i start training them early, so it will stick for a life time.

peter
(still waiting for the permit for the alex henry)there should be a season for paper pushing scum.

Double_Trouble
.375 member

Re: Here's Bosco [Re: peter]
      #78408 - 11/05/07 04:24 AM

Peter:
I will try this excercise in my backyard as I can hide on the far side of the back deck so that I am obstructed from view by the house.... I am sure that he will get onto the place where I am after a few attempts but its a start.

thanks for the tip!

today is the first day that he is not with me at work... the office feels a liitle empty.... one of my co workers said the he is missing his buddy Bosco!

I will forward you a pic from his intense participation in a meeting I had in my office yesterday... I think he may have some of Sako and Siegfried's bloodline in him!

DT

(EDITED by ErikD to add pictures)

Edited by ErikD (11/05/07 08:13 AM)

peter
removed

#78411 - 11/05/07 06:01 AM

ooohhhhh he is so cute. damn i cant wait till the malamute pup gets here.

a true shorthair conserving energy when not hunting !!!!!!

peter

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#78449 - 11/05/07 02:39 PM

I heard a saying a few years ago and it certains is apt:

"Master is the name of God to a puppy."

Bosco looks like a great little dog in the making.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

peter
removed

#78831 - 18/05/07 05:18 AM

so DT
how is boscoe doing we havent heard from you and him in awhile.

here is a small flick i found on youtube to inspire you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KX7rn6MQEZA

peter

Edited by peter (18/05/07 05:22 AM)

Double_Trouble
.375 member

#78832 - 18/05/07 05:57 AM

hi Peter

Very Cool Video! ( all except the semi autos...only a double for me!)and that location can't be to very far from me.
I haven't had Bosco at the office all week as he is being watched by my wife who has absolutely fallen head over heals in love with him!

My children have been walking him along the tree line and said that "he stopped Dad when he saw a robin and then when it took off,,, he tried to run after it" this weekend will be busy for the family with a massive fund raising garage sale on Sat. and Sun.

I am going to try to get out Sat. morning for one more turkey hunt before the season ends at the end of this month.

If the weather holds like its supposed to then Bosco and I will be playing in the field on Sunday. I have a line on a couple of pheasant wings from a game farm near us and the big fella is going to get his first nose full of what he will be going after.

Do you think that he is too young to be introduced to the sound of a starter pistol? He is growing by the day and is putting on some weight nicely.

DT

--------------------
Double Trouble,

peter
removed

#78836 - 18/05/07 06:49 AM

sounds like you have your day and week cut out for you. good ! makes a man treasure his free time

i never was much for starting gun etc. i go to the clay range during summer time to shoot the bull with the people there, they also got dogs so that shows the new pup that there is nothing to be afraid of. and then you can tell the wife that you are training boscoe all the while you went for a beer with the guys at the range.

peter

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#78854 - 18/05/07 02:20 PM

Quote:

Do you think that he is too young to be introduced to the sound of a starter pistol? He is growing by the day and is putting on some weight nicely.

Personally I would not do it quite yet. And if I did at quite a distance by someone else and see if he notices it. If he doesn't, a bit closer. If he notices it, take him over, let him smell the gunsmoke and gun oil, and give him a treat.

Siegfried knew if I smelt of gunsmoke and/or gun oil and would start doing backward spins and twirls in excitement. "We were going shooting!" Even if I had only handled a firearm in the house.

His introduction to gun fire was by accident. About this time of the year when I had planted a fresh hay crop, galah parrots (native parrots which can be legally shot on crops) would sit on the field a lot and eat the newly planted seed. So lots of shotgun 'work' to do. Seeing maybe a hundred birds on the field I grabbed the gun and ran down and fired off a couple shots. "EEEK" I heard 50 metres behind me. Of course Siegfried had followed and scared by the gun was running frightened back towards home. I called and he stopped and I got him to sit. Came over and patted him, reassured him, let him smell the rifle, reassuring him the whole time. Then off home for a treat.

Next time did it on purpose with a .22. Not a flicker from him. A treat. Two or three goes later a shotgun. Not fear.

Not an expert at all, so if anyone disagrees with how I did it, please tell.

Peter's use of other dogs is a very good method. We used to train our sheep dogs with older sheep dogs. Much quicker and easier to train a puppy if a well trained older dog is available. The young ones watch their older peers and learn from them. Good habits as well as BAD habits! So pick the their peers well.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Double_Trouble
.375 member

#78873 - 18/05/07 09:46 PM

Thanks for the input guys!

I had planned to shoot the pistol from a distance while my daughter walked him but now that you say it Peter, I have two trap and skett ranges that are relatively nearby and I am sure that the guys down at them would be thrilled to meet and greet Bosco... at least two of the guys that I know who still shoot regularlily had GSP's but they no longer hunt as they are getting on in age but I am sure that they would give the big guy a rub behind the ears and shoot the breeze over a beer or 4.

Nitro.... your stories of Siegfried make me miss the ole boy and I never even knew him ,,,, the more I read about him, the more I know you had a helluva good friend!

We are lucky guys Peter,,, now get back in the fold soon Nitro and find yourself a new puppy to get back out in the field with.

thanks again for the advice guys,,,, it's appreciated!

DT

--------------------
Double Trouble,

peter
removed

#79007 - 20/05/07 06:38 AM

now get back in the fold soon Nitro and find yourself a new puppy to get back out in the field with.

i second that john, im mostly a two dog guy myself so the old one can help train the new one but im still waiting for the new pup.

if you are willing to wait sako should become a father this fall and as a reward for his fun i get first pick of the litter. his pedigree is kind of impressive father 4 or 5 times euro hunting champion in the pointing dogs contest.

now DT i think i can say this for all of us we need more photos.

P.S the alex Henry and the H&H is coming next week, will clean them up and let the wife do a photo shoot.

peter

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#79216 - 23/05/07 03:46 AM

Quote:

now get back in the fold soon Nitro and find yourself a new puppy to get back out in the field with.

I may see if I can visit a GSP breeder or two next week when I am in their neighbourhood. About 1200 kms away.

Quote:

i second that john, im mostly a two dog guy myself so the old one can help train the new one but im still waiting for the new pup.

I thought about that with Siegfried. Except he had some bad habits that I didn't want passed onto a puppy. Hopefully my training abilities will be better next time.

Quote:

if you are willing to wait sako should become a father this fall and as a reward for his fun i get first pick of the litter. his pedigree is kind of impressive father 4 or 5 times euro hunting champion in the pointing dogs contest.

Wow. A great record.

That would be fantastic.

The problem with Australia is we have a very strict quarantine requirement and people bringing their dogs with them from overseas need to house their dogs with quarantine for many months (3 to 6 ?). Not workable for a puppy and not pleasant for an adult dog. It must be hard for the human owners to leave their dogs in quarantine for that long, and traumatic for the dogs as well. An American acqaintance of mine said his dogs personalities were changed after it.

Breeders do import dogs for breeding purposes in their kennels. Siegfried had a UK grand champion "grandparent" for example.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

peter
removed

#79423 - 26/05/07 07:23 PM

so here is the new photos of our new hero.

i will leave it to DT to tell the story

peter

P.S he is growing nicely

peter
removed

#79424 - 26/05/07 07:26 PM

John
im checking with my vet because they just send a pup to AUS without any fuss, something about doing the Q time under vet supervision in the home country.

will look into it

peter

Double_Trouble
.375 member

#79570 - 29/05/07 10:37 PM

Peter:
thanks yet again for posting these pics.... I was trying to show that he is growing by the day but I see that these pics dont have anything in them for a scale comparison other than that ball he is standing with. It is a tennis style ball but it is twice the size of a regular one.

the next shots I send will show his size better.
He now sleeps through the night ( if he gets a long enough walk in the evening) and wakes up usually just before 6 AM so it works out good as he beats my alarm clock by 10 or 15 minutes each day and we go out in the back yard so he can perform his morning ritual.... he's a good dawwwwg!

DT

--------------------
Double Trouble,

peter
removed

#79818 - 03/06/07 07:08 AM

and here is a nosy pic of the nitroexpress pup of the year

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#79865 - 04/06/07 02:26 AM

Great photos.

Double_Trouble
.375 member

#79934 - 04/06/07 10:53 PM

Thanks yet again for posting this shot Peter.
And thank you John, I am pretty happy with that last shot and Bosco was more than co-operative.

DT

--------------------
Double Trouble,

peter
removed

#79951 - 05/06/07 06:54 AM

im am happy to post the pics for you DT

this means i get to see them first
peter

peter
removed

#86085 - 22/09/07 08:54 PM

Yes DT got his camera up and running again.

New photos of the NE pup(not so little anymore)

i will let DT ad the comments

good dogmanship

this is DT playground

enjoy all and DT comments please it looks like he is getting along very well

peter

Double_Trouble
.375 member

#86094 - 23/09/07 12:01 AM

Peter:

Thanks yet again for posting these photos.....as you can see Bosco is getting bigger and is losing that "puppy look".
these photos were taken this week while we were out checking the tree stands and bait as deer season opens here on October 1st.

Bosco is about 50 lbs now and has a nose that just wont quit! as soon as he sees my cammo hunting pants come out of the cabinet he knows whats up and starts to whimper with excitement when I get my boots out of the garage its all he can do to hold his water. As I bend over to do up my laces he's all over me lcking me and play growling and prompting me to get my butt in gear and get that back door of the truck open so we can get to the bush.

On this particular day, he was "birdie" from the time we were 50 yds onto the trail..... hugging the left side of the trail like he was on rails. After waklking in about a qtr mile or so I stopped at a small draw that flows into the river from an adjacent cornfield, I was taking my camera out while Bosco was now looking directly left (North) of the trail and I heard a huge crash in the bush about 30 or 40 yds off directly where he was looking. I looked to where the noise came from and saw the familiar white flag just cresting the steep river bank and disappearing into the thick bush....A good sign indeed!
Up to that point the trail was dry so I didnt see any tracks but Bosco didnt need to see track his nose was telling him all along that we were onto something. It was quite a treat to see him work that scent I should mention that I have him on a 25' lead but more and more I dont hold it but rather let him drag it behind him.... it seems that if he feels it attached to his collar he wont bolt off and I still have a fighting chance of stepping on the lead if he decides to.

He is listening to commands better and better by the day and although he dosent heel great he will slow at the command of "easy" and stay within 10 or 15'. He is also now crossing the bridges that we have built on the trails,,, he still checks them out carefully before crossing but I no longer have to carry him across them as I did previously.

As you can see from the photo the tree stands are still up and the one neighbor to the South/East knows where they are and if you can believe it...is planting hay and clover on 40 acres that is adjacent to the bush....he is not a hunter but has no problem with me being there and has told me that if I see a deer on his land its fair game his only request was that if its hit and not downed that it be found....I explained that that is a cardinal rule and I would never think of breaking it! Directly behind the tree stand (which is East) you see in the photo is a 60 acre cornfield and to the North or left of the stand is a bean field.

The other stand is atop a ridge on a small flood plain that is used like a highway for deer and turkey and is flanked by yet anther 60 or so acres of corn and the tracks in the area are fresh as hell and there is a few big bodied deer in there!

A fellow who was riding his ATV on the trails a few weeks ago said he saw a 12 point buck while on his trek....not sure how good a look he got but I am not that good at counting points unless they are in my hands but hell even if it's an 8 pt I'd be more than happy to put an arrow/bolt in it!

Well after our exciting adventure Bosco and I share a couple of bottles of water and I talk to him( as though he understands) and tell him what a good job he did and that it's time to go home and rest up so we can come back another day and do it all over again....
Good DAAAAAWG Bosco!

DT

--------------------
Double Trouble,

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#92198 - 20/12/07 10:50 PM

DT

How is "young" Bosco doing now? He must be a full grown dog or almost?

--------------------
John aka NitroX

peter
removed

#101929 - 08/04/08 01:25 AM

i just recived a photo of the proud young man, and what a man he has become.

enjoy

peter

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 6766

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com