Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Special Thanks to 93Mouse! And you, too, Nitro!

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting dogs

Pages: 1
9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Special Thanks to 93Mouse! And you, too, Nitro!
      #336947 - 24/01/20 09:05 AM

I've been meaning to post this for a while.

Maybe a few remember my work to change Idaho hunting law to allow the use of blood tracking dogs on big game. That was some years ago and as reported before, after a two-year process, I was successful in that effort.

Instrumental to that effort was assistance provided by 93Mouse and I'd like to take a special moment to thank him very much!

I am always awed by his experience there in Slovenia, and I get nothing like his experience here, but I have a couple incidents I'd like to report which will serve to demonstrate my gratitude for his help.

First is a buck we found which my son shot in the season of 2017. It was hit well, but he lost it in the timber and I and my dog were able to find it. I was lame at the time, having torn my right calf while hunting but was still able to get the dog on the trail and she did great!

Next is a really special one. My wife only started hunting about three years ago. This buck she hit very well. In fact, it only went about 125+ yards, but we never would have found it. She watched the buck take off and then she lost it in the dense firs but heard it go down and crash up a draw. She called the shot, knew it was good, and heard the animal go down but swore she heard the crash up the draw where the buck was headed when she lost sight of it. She looked and looked, but found nothing. She got me and we found no indication of a hit, no blood, nothing, but the dog had other ideas!

In fact, what had happened was the buck ran only about 15 yards or so till my wife lost sight of it and then immediately switch directions and ran 180 degrees the opposite direction. There is NO WAY we would ever have looked in that direction and then...it dropped in a dense thicket. Probably due to the lay of the ground, the direction my wife THOUGHT she heard it go down was in fact the opposite of the direction it DID go down!

Two happy hunters!

Me proud as punch!

Somebody wouldn't budge from guarding her treasure!

Finally, a very grateful Waidmannsheil and thanks to 93Mouse. I have no idea how many head of game have been recovered due to the law change, but I couldn't have done it without you, and I know we sure do appreciate your help!

And to you, Nitro, a special thanks as well for running this show here. It's the best and you made it that way!

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
lancaster
.470 member

Reged: 06/05/08
Loc: There's a lighthouse in the mi...
Re: Special Thanks to 93Mouse! And you, too, Nitro! [Re: 9.3x57]
      #336990 - 25/01/20 04:30 AM

old saying: you can hunt without rifles but not without dogs

good to see you can do it now this way, strange to think it was not allowed before.
waidmannsheil

--------------------
Norwegian hunter misses moose, shoots man on toilet
bringing civilisation to the barbarians

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: Special Thanks to 93Mouse! And you, too, Nitro! [Re: lancaster]
      #336995 - 25/01/20 05:44 AM

Perhaps I have been illegal here in Montana..but have only needed to use a dog once when my son wounded an elk bowhunting ..my wirehairs found him for us..

Glad to see this worked out for you in Idaho..

Not as important in Montana as it is generally known we are better shots than the residents of Idaho..

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

lancaster
.470 member

Reged: 06/05/08
Loc: There's a lighthouse in the mi...
Re: Special Thanks to 93Mouse! And you, too, Nitro! [Re: Ripp]
      #336999 - 25/01/20 06:28 AM

--------------------
Norwegian hunter misses moose, shoots man on toilet
bringing civilisation to the barbarians

9.3x57
.450 member

#337000 - 25/01/20 06:45 AM

Quote:

Perhaps I have been illegal here in Montana..but have only needed to use a dog once when my son wounded an elk bowhunting ..my wirehairs found him for us..

Not as important in Montana as it is generally known we are better shots than the residents of Idaho..

You should be!

How hard is it to hit a deer in the head at 15 feet at night with a light over a pile of apples!!!

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

9.3x57
.450 member

#337001 - 25/01/20 06:49 AM

Here's an interesting bit...

One of the interesting details I found out in the research which was provided by 93 was that...get this...in a 10-year study in Slovenia when a dog was placed on shots called a "Miss" by the hunter... 1/4 of them resulted in a found animal!

Imagine what that means for stateside hunting where dogs are not allowed.

--------------------

Ripp
.577 member

#337005 - 25/01/20 07:30 AM

Quote:

Quote:

You should be!

How hard is it to hit a deer in the head at 15 feet at night with a light over a pile of apples!!!

YOU are being very presumptuous .. it's 10 feet.. and its oats not apples..

--------------------

9.3x57
.450 member

#337006 - 25/01/20 07:46 AM

--------------------

Ripp
.577 member

#337014 - 25/01/20 10:23 AM

Quote:

:D

Looking at the pictures of you and your dog..out in the forest you can literally feel the excitement of the hunt..thank you for that...

Dogs are such an awesome companion ..have loved them and horses my entire life...

--------------------

93mouse
.375 member

Reged: 17/08/07
Loc: Slovenia
      #337065 - 26/01/20 07:05 AM

Good goings Rod - the pleasure to see it in works is all mine!

THBailey
.224 member

Reged: 05/05/20
Loc: California, USA
Re: Special Thanks to 93Mouse! And you, too, Nitro! [Re: 93mouse]
      #342714 - 23/06/20 11:10 AM

9.3x57:

I read through this thread with great interest. California is one of the few states that allows the use of one dog per hunter to hunt deer. I am a lifetime resident of California, now pushing 70 years of age, that has deer hunted with my dogs my entire life. Unfortunately a tree hugging gaggle of urbanites from Los Angeles has this year caused a bill to be introduced in Sacramento to totally outlaw the use of dogs. Accordingly, I would dearly love to gain access to the information you successfully used in Idaho.

Thanks so much.

THBaileyesq@sbcglobal.net

--------------------
Tom H Bailey

As Will Rogers likes to say: "Everyone is ignorant, just in different subjects"

Edited by THBailey (23/06/20 11:13 AM)

9.3x57
.450 member

Re: Special Thanks to 93Mouse! And you, too, Nitro! [Re: THBailey]
      #342720 - 23/06/20 12:34 PM

I'd be happy to if I can find it! It's been years and some was taken directly off the internet and I'm not sure what I dd with the primary material... I'll look.

Just to be clear; The material I had was related to blood tracking, not hunting. In fact, I had to be very careful not to even imply the dog would be used to assist in hunting BEFORE the shot.
It is illegal in Idaho to use dogs for "HUNTING" deer and elk. We may however, use them now for "RECOVERY" of wounded game. Dogs are legal here for hunting small game, birds, lion and bear, but not other big game.

--------------------

THBailey
.224 member

Reged: 05/05/20
Loc: California, USA
      #342724 - 23/06/20 01:50 PM

Thanks for the quick response. I do understand Idaho, and some other states, limit the use of the dog to after the shot and on a leash. If nothing else I would like to at least carve this exception out of their total ban. Thanks again.

--------------------
Tom H Bailey

As Will Rogers likes to say: "Everyone is ignorant, just in different subjects"

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 6 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3398

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com