Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Here's Bosco

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting dogs

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Double_Trouble
.375 member

Reged: 27/04/06
Loc: Canada
Re: Here's Bosco [Re: NitroX]
      #101932 - 08/04/08 01:54 AM

NitroX:

Sorry I havent been on in so long that I havent responded to your question ,,, the short answer is that he is doing very well and has become a dog that we enjoy the hell out of!

Like all GSP's he loves the field and WILL NOT stop running and scouring the ground with that keen nose!

I have sent a photo to Peter and he will be posting it soon on my behalf (thanks again Peter!)

This photo was taken 3 days short of his first birthday and as you can see, he has matured and is no longer a pup but has developed that Regal Air! that GSP's can feign on occaision ,,, when they arent running full tilt into a thickett on fresh scent.

I took him for a 2.5 hr walk on Sunday and he kicked up two big tom turkeys, he smelled both of them loooooooong before I saw them, I called him off the first one we came across but on the 2nd one he was 2 meters off its tail feathers when it took flight over a small river that meanders through the property, the water did not deter Bosco in the least and he launched himself in the water in pursuit, the whistle and I convinced him that it would be best to give up the chase and he turned round to me from a lil past the mid point of a pretty good flowing river....... the melt water and recent rains have caused the property to be very tough to navigate and the river to be higher and faster than normal but we do ok getting around and Bosco knows where I want him to go and when to go, for the most part!

Most days I make sure that I keep him where I want him with lee way of course but some days are "Bosco Days" and he is permitted to go where his nose takes him and I follow through the briar and bramble.... hey it cant always be onesided I figure.
In open field he responds to hand signals for left and right direction...not anything I taught him or then again maybe I did,,, his taking hand signaks from me just seems natural (not sure that I have explained that properly)

At the risk of being long-winded need to let you Peter that I still do that hiding excercise with him and its a great time whenever I hide behind a substantial tree at the side of the trail wait for him to realise im not in sight and then hear him ripping back down the trail in search of me. I crack up laughing everytime he goes flying by my hiding spot and applies the brakes when he finds out he just passed me.........there is no way in hell I could ever lose him in the field.

When he gets on fresh deer scent there is NO way to stop him from wanting to pursue!

I have been fortunate on two seperate occiasions where I have got him back on the 30 foot (9 metre) lead just in the nick of time and the we tracked together....

probably enough rambling for now

Bosco says WOOF ! ....

Good DAWWWWWWWG !

--------------------
Double Trouble,
Speak not of what you do not know.
Listen up when it's time to.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Here's Bosco [Re: Double_Trouble]
      #101959 - 08/04/08 11:43 AM

Bosco sounds wonderful. The hand signals part is great, some dogs seem to pick it up naturally.

A GSP swimming across a fast flowing icy river. He's tough compared to my previous GSP, but whom didn't hesitate to go for a (Southern Hemisphere) winter swim, was a real softy when it came to bedtime and warmth.

The "hide and seek" game and training sounds great.

Looking forward to the photo.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

peter
removed

Reged: 11/04/07
Loc: denmark
Re: Here's Bosco [Re: NitroX]
      #101971 - 08/04/08 05:10 PM

john look back to page 2, there he is.

peter

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Here's Bosco [Re: peter]
      #101977 - 08/04/08 07:28 PM

Quote:

Wonderful picture. Worth framing. Very regal.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 6765

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com