Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Heym 26B O/U rifle- opinions?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
sako300
.224 member

Reged: 24/11/07
Loc: BC Canada
Heym 26B O/U rifle- opinions?
      #94794 - 20/01/08 03:51 PM

Hello from BC Canada. I've been skulking around your forum for the last year. I'm nw trying to put my "double virginity" to rest. I have a line on a Heym 26B, but I'd like your opinions regarding this model. I understand it is not a handmade Heym. Caliber is right for me (9.3), but I was initially thinking of a SXS like the Merkel 140. Anybody have one/shot one or have a comment on the gun?

Much appreciated, and I really enjoy the "double talk"!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
CptCurlAdministrator
.450 member

Reged: 01/05/04
Loc: Fincastle, Botetourt County, V...
Re: Heym 26B O/U rifle- opinions? [Re: sako300]
      #94808 - 21/01/08 12:07 AM

sako300,

Welcome to NE.com!

I don't have experience with the Heym 26B, so nothing to add there, but do want to extend the hand of welcome.

Please join in often.

Curl

--------------------
RoscoeStephenson.com

YOUR DOUBLE RIFLE IS YOUR BEST FRIEND.

GarBy
.224 member

Reged: 20/12/04
Loc: Florida, USA
Re: Heym 26B O/U rifle- opinions? [Re: CptCurl]
      #94809 - 21/01/08 12:51 AM

Handled one at the Heym booth in Dallas.....very fast handling and smooth operation. It appeared to be a very well-made piece. If the one you are looking at fits you and you like it....do it. Heym's are well made firearms....I have 2 of them....a SxS and a bolt.

Gary

sako300
.224 member

Re: Heym 26B O/U rifle- opinions? [Re: GarBy]
      #94827 - 21/01/08 05:59 AM

Thanks Guys. I'll be using it mostly to hunt Bullwinkles in Central BC. No dangerous game for me yet.

I noted on the Heym website that the 26B receiver is made of aluminum alloy. Does this concern anyone? I would be getting the 9.3x74, which is, I believe, a low pressure cartridge.

NE450No2
.375 member

Reged: 10/01/03
      #94902 - 22/01/08 03:12 AM

sako

I handled and shot that Heym 26B a few days ago.

It is very lightweight and short, very handy.

However because they are so light weight, they are made for 9,3 bullets lighter than 250 grains only.

I shot it with the 232 Norma Vulcan factory loads.

In fact one of the Heym employes from Germany shot a nice hog with it.

If you do not mind using only the 232 or 250gr bullets, it is a nice double.

The one we had has a single trigger, I am not sure if you can get one with a double trigger or not.

The barrels have scope mount "bases" built in to them.

It has a cocking device like a Blaser, ie when you shoot, then open the gun, it decocks, you reload, close the gun, and then recock the rifle.

The reciever has steel inserts where the cartridge case heads contact the reciever.

sako300
.224 member

Re: Heym 26B O/U rifle- opinions? [Re: NE450No2]
      #94939 - 22/01/08 01:32 PM

Thanks No2. I wasn't aware that I was limited at all! Thats good to know, as I really like the idea of heavier bullets, and flexibility (though the 9.3 has few loads in the 74r).

Is it structurally not able to take it, or are the barrels regulated for the smaller loads?
In any case, I'm glad to know this before I buy.
Cheers.

NE450No2
.375 member

#94949 - 22/01/08 03:08 PM

I was told that the recoil of the heavier bullets would cause the rifle to de-cock.

Rustyzipper
.275 member

Reged: 20/10/03
Loc: North of the Zambezi, in Miser...
      #94975 - 23/01/08 12:47 AM

Perhaps loading of monometal bullets of 250 grains would give you some extra penetration if you needed it? If the barrels are not soldered together it may be safe. Packy

NE450No2
.375 member

Re: Heym 26B O/U rifle- opinions? [Re: Rustyzipper]
      #94997 - 23/01/08 06:52 AM

I do not think I would want to shoot mono metal bullets in its thin barrels.

However, I think the 250gr Swift A Frame would give you all the performance you need in a soft point bullet in this weight range in the 9,3x74 R.

For all game under elk the 232 Vulcan would work perfect.

Probably even for elk, as I saw some tests done by Swedish hunters that were provided with factory 232 Norma Vulcan ammo.

It did very well on their "moose".

One thing for sure this is a very light, short, well handling double.

Would be great for rough country hunting.

JabaliHunter
.400 member

Reged: 16/05/07
Loc: England
      #95044 - 23/01/08 10:54 PM

Quote:

I was told that the recoil of the heavier bullets would cause the rifle to de-cock.

The lighter loads probably say more about the intended purpose of the gun, i.e. large deer and likely boar, rather than heavier game... I don't think I would worry about the reliability of Heym.

I bet the 26B would shoot and handle very nicely... It just depends what you want to use it for

500grains
.416 member

Reged: 16/02/04
Loc: Salt Lake City, Utah USA
Re: Heym 26B O/U rifle- opinions? [Re: JabaliHunter]
      #95056 - 24/01/08 03:54 AM

I have never seen a Heym that I did not like, although sometimes I do not like the price.

sako300
.224 member

Re: Heym 26B O/U rifle- opinions? [Re: 500grains]
      #95065 - 24/01/08 07:52 AM

I want to use it for Moose, but you never know, Grizzly hang out here too. I would like to be as versatile with the bigger loads, and keep the option open. I'm a bit reserved about buying a 9.3x74 (few loads anyway), and restricting it further by only using light loads. It is an O/U, and most 9.3's are regulated with a 286gr.

NE450No2
.375 member

#95083 - 24/01/08 02:42 PM

As I stated earlier, I was told this O/U is for bullets under 250grains.

I was hunting with the Owner of Heym.

sako300
.224 member

#95085 - 24/01/08 04:21 PM

Can't argue with that!

I must say, that would be a treat to hunt with a guy with connections. I'm tossing betwen Heym and merkel, the lower end of their lines, for now. Any thoughts on these two? I understand from the USA distributor that most of the Heyms are hand made. Not so for the Merkels?

John
.300 member

Reged: 23/01/07
Loc: Manitoba, Canada
      #95091 - 25/01/08 01:29 AM

Sako300

I note you are located in Canada, if you like to e-mail me at: John@wolverinesupplies.com we should be able to help you.

I use a Franz Sodia O/U in 9.3x74R, a superb rife/cartridge, Manitoba White tail and African plains game. I have also used the Zoli O/U, Beretta O/U and the light weight Merkel B3, all in 9.3.

I have a Merkel 140 (9.3x74R) not the 141 arriving next month for my personal use and a shipment of 140 in .470 NE expected in March. We can still obtain the 140 model in Canada. I intend to use the Merkel 140 9.3 for African plains game in May.

We can also supply from other manufactures and would be pleased to assit you.

John
Wolverine Supplies
Canada

Edited by John (25/01/08 07:05 AM)

NE450No2
.375 member

Re: Heym 26B O/U rifle- opinions? [Re: John]
      #95108 - 25/01/08 05:24 AM

sako300

I would try to handle and if possible shoot the different rifles and get the one that you like/fits you the best.

I prefer a SXS double rifle, but I will admit I am warming up to the O/U,s in calibres 9,3 and under.

I also handled a Heym O/U 470 that fit me perfect. It was very light.

I really like my Chapuis 9,3 and I have hunted with it a lot.

I have shot both models of the Merkel 9,3x74R.

I think I favor the new model on the 28ga frame. Again it is short and light and would make a great rough country double.

I can say that the 9,3x74R Double is one of the best hunting rifle and calibres on the Planet.

sako300
.224 member

#95156 - 25/01/08 02:10 PM

Thanks John, I will email you shortly about our options. To all of you Canucks out there, I can highly recommend John's shop- Wolverine in Manitoba- I bought my HK Pistol from these guys along with supplies, and have received topnotch service every time.

No.2 - Have you adjusted your own barrels on the merkel 141? I understand it has a "do-it-yourself" adjustment feature. The barrels are quite a bit shorter than the 140 (21 vs 23 inches I think) How's the accuracy?

NE450No2
.375 member

#95171 - 25/01/08 07:49 PM

I do not have a Merkel, but I have shot them.
I have a Chapuis 9,3.

ozhunter
.400 member

Reged: 18/08/04
Loc: Sydney, Australia
      #95172 - 25/01/08 08:02 PM

This Rifle sounds like the ultimate for driven game hunts. But if its not suitable for 286grn soft and solids, I would have an issue with it for some day you might like to use it on Buffalo and the like.
The auto safety is also a point of concern imo.

DUGABOY1
.400 member

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: TEXAS USA
      #95206 - 26/01/08 04:58 AM

Quote:

Thanks John, I will email you shortly about our options. To all of you Canucks out there, I can highly recommend John's shop- Wolverine in Manitoba- I bought my HK Pistol from these guys along with supplies, and have received topnotch service every time.

No.2 - Have you adjusted your own barrels on the merkel 141? I understand it has a "do-it-yourself" adjustment feature. The barrels are quite a bit shorter than the 140 (21 vs 23 inches I think) How's the accuracy?

First let me say all the Heym, and Merkel double rifles are as hand made as any brand is today! All makers utilize the cost saving CNC machine to do the grunt work on making the rough parts. From there on, the rifles are hand fitted, and finished, regardless of brand name! The so-called OFF THE SHELF doubles of today may be fitted to you, if you want to wait for them to be made, but they are no more HAND MADE than the off the shelf rifles.

That being said, I was also on the DRSS member hunt/shoot with the Heym folks, and NE450No2, this month. I also shot the little Heym O/U 9.3X74R double, and I simply did not like it at all! IMO, it was way too light, for the 9.3X74R cartridge, to start with, and the fact that it had to be made to use the light bullets to avoid it de-cocking it’s self, got an immediate thumbs down from me. Secondly I do not like the Blaser type cocking system on any double rifle, and that, and the fact that the rifle is too light, and will not handle the heavy bullets rated ZERO with me.

If one must use an O/U double rifle, then the larger O/U double for NE rounds by Heym, is the one I’d be prone to use. It has a conventional cocking system, and is available with two triggers, negating another thing I do not like in a double rifle, and that is a single trigger, along with it’s attendant auto-safety.

I Love the 88B double rifles made by Heym, and we also shot the new PH model chambered for the 450/400NE 3” cartridge now available loaded in Factory ammo from Hornady. The rifle was 100% in my book, and was very accurate! It’s got me thinking that I must have one. For a hunting rifle that one can buy right out of the store, like the PH model chambered for big game, or the dangerous persuasion, the Heym is as good as it gets.

I have owned many different makes of double rifles, over the years, and I think for, USING, the Heym 88B S/S double rifle is tops. Having said that, in the 9.3X74R chambering, there are several that qualify as worth their asking price. Some are better than others, however, and my pick from Merkel is the 140E, and second is the new 141 from the same maker. The 140E or 140 any prefix, weighs 8.3 pounds compared to the very light 141 which is in the 7 pound range. The 140 is also more on the Britt style of double rifle, and the 20 ga size action places more weight between the hands, making for better balance than the tiny 28 ga, IMO. I have no use for adjustable regulation in a double rifle, and I find the 141 to be too light, for the 9.3X74R cartridge, and this is also one of the reasons I didn’t buy a Chapuis double rifle, that along with the beavertail forend wood. The Chapuis doubles are superbly accurate, and there are many pluses they bring to the table, but I simply prefer a heavier double rifle, so the Merkel 140E is what I shoot. I also have a 140-2 Safari Merkel 470NE that gets the job done quite nicely, and the only thing, NEW, that I would trade my Merkel 140-2 for is the Heym 88B, chambered for the 450/400NE 3”.

This is a personal thing with me, and is not a rule others must live by, but there are a few things I will not have on a double rifle that may have to be used on animals that bite, gore, and stomp. These things are first and foremost, a single trigger, and after that, an auto-safety, an Over Under action, or a double rifle chambered for a cartridge that is rimless, or belted rimless. I have one double rifle that has all these things,except the rimless/belted cartridge, and I rarely shoot it at anything other than a paper target, or a whitetail deer, and if I’m in deer woods where Grizz lives, then it stays home, and the 140E, or other larger S/S double rifles get the nod!

--------------------
..........Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY1, and MacD37 founding member of DRSS www.doublerifleshooterssociety.com
"If I die today, I have had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"

sako300
.224 member

Re: Heym 26B O/U rifle- opinions? [Re: DUGABOY1]
      #95227 - 26/01/08 01:44 PM

Well said Dugaboy. I agree with your comments on the single trigger, lightweight rifle, and cocking lever.

I visited the importer who had several heym 26B's for sale. They were simply gorgeous rifles, and were being sold because they had been damaged in transit, (mostly scratches on the upgraded walnut).

I was astonished how light, short, and quick the rifle was to mount to the shoulder. It was no heavier than my Browning lever action .22 rifle!! The workmanship was stellar. The action clicked shut with exacting precision. The sights were bright and easily visible.

But, even though the rifle was half-price (yes, half-price due to scratches) I could not bring myself to buy a rifle that did not meet my needs. ( Insert crying, sobbing, and moaning here)

The patient search goes on ...... But it is fun looking!

Edited by sako300 (26/01/08 03:20 PM)

sako300
.224 member

#95438 - 29/01/08 05:26 PM

One final note to all regarding the 26B. I got a note back from Chris Sells at heym USA confirming the 26B is regulated with 236gr loads.

new_guy
Sponsor

Reged: 10/08/04
Loc: Texas
      #96024 - 05/02/08 03:05 PM

A little history: The 26B was built to the specifications of HEYM's French distributor. Aluminum frame, weight, O/U and single trigger, etc... were specifications requested for that particular market.

It's not an ideal fit for the US "doule rifle" market, but apparently it's what the French were looking for as they seem to sell quite well there. We've imported a few into the US for customers, but as many have pointed out, it's not exactly what the US customer is looking for in a "double."

The 26's barrels are monoblocked and the rifle is regulated by hand, but it is a volume production rifle and can't be compared to the 88Bs, which are hand made and availble only on a much more limited basis. They represent two different types of production that are carried out by two entirely different teams within HEYM.

Hope that helps.

--------------------
www.heymUSA.com

sako300
.224 member

Re: Heym 26B O/U rifle- opinions? [Re: new_guy]
      #96188 - 07/02/08 02:42 PM

Thanks for the info. It explains a lot. I can say anyone wanting a light , sweet rifle should look at this gem. I'm a bigger guy, looking for a bigger rifle. But I'd probably have bought it if larger loads were an option.

sako300
.224 member

#102772 - 18/04/08 04:17 PM

Well, fellows, heres a follow-up report.

I called the guy back, and ended up buying this gorgeous rifle, mounts and 6 boxes of ammo for a good deal. (2300 cdn dollars). He was a real good guy, and offered a sweet deal.

I now have to select a scope for this little gem. I like the S&B 1.5-6x42, but it might be a bit big. Perhaps the 1.25-4x20 would be better?
I think I'll take it toa smith and have a recoil pad installed too. Its reallllly short for a tall guy like me.
I'm going to keep my eyes out for a SXS Merkel, and maybe my wife will claim this one Eh?

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 74 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 15248

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com