Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Baikals with remington markings on sale in the UK

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
mehulkamdar
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/04
Loc: State of Ill-Annoy USA.
Baikals with remington markings on sale in the UK
      #89834 - 27/11/07 08:05 AM

I wonder why on earth Remington have not started offering them in the US? Also, I know that guns are expensive in the UK but does Pounds 650 sound reasonable for what is being offered?

Thanks for all views in advance and good hunting!

--------------------
The Ark was made by amateurs. Experts built the Titanic.

Mehul Kamdar

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
AkMike
.416 member

Reged: 19/11/05
Loc: Anchorage, Alaska
Re: Baikals with remington markings on sale in the UK [Re: mehulkamdar]
      #89844 - 27/11/07 09:36 AM

They are showing up on the auction sites recently. Only in 30-06 though. The price is about $1000 USD. So far there aren't any reports of the action springing like the last batch that didn't carry the Remmy name tag.

--------------------
"When you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing; when you see that money is flowing to those who deal not in goods, but in favors; you may know that your society is doomed." Ayn Rand

mehulkamdar
.416 member

Re: Baikals with remington markings on sale in the UK [Re: AkMike]
      #89864 - 27/11/07 12:54 PM

Mike,

I find it really strange that the Brits (lucky sods! ) can go to a shop and buy one of these in 30-06 or 45-70 off the shelf while, despite Remington being an American company, we don;t get to see the rifles over here. And, in any case, the 45-70 would most certainly see more use in the US than in the UK - but the Brits are getting them and we aren;t over here.

Someone at Remington need to get their head examined...

--------------------

Mehul Kamdar

AkMike
.416 member

#89867 - 27/11/07 01:28 PM

I'm afraid that there'll be problems with people trying to re chamber them into a 450#2. I doubt it'll handle the extra Ommmph.
Earlier at AR there was a thread by a Canadian with a Bikal 30-06 that sprung the action with stock ammo.
I will not buy one even for a truck gun beater.

--------------------
"When you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing; when you see that money is flowing to those who deal not in goods, but in favors; you may know that your society is doomed." Ayn Rand

500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
      #89870 - 27/11/07 01:48 PM

mehulkamdar

May have something to do with your litigious society
where they heap all the blame back onto Remington.

For the amount of $$$ they may make, they may be
wondering if it's all worth the hassle.

mehulkamdar
.416 member

Re: Baikals with remington markings on sale in the UK [Re: 500Nitro]
      #89885 - 27/11/07 04:37 PM

500 Nitro,

If there are idiots somewhere who believe in taking crap and not suing to punish those who sold them junk, they deserve that junk. What was the old saying about fools and their money...

--------------------

Mehul Kamdar

Michael
.275 member

Reged: 28/07/05
Loc: Darwin, Northern Territory
      #89889 - 27/11/07 07:23 PM

The Baikal (not Remington) doubles have been available here in both u/o and sxs configurations for quite a while and the feedback on any safety or build issues have been NIL.

The sxs is available in only 30/06 and .308 so far (I doubt whether we'll see the 45/70 anytime soon) and the u/o have been available in these plus 9.3x74R. Again saftey problems or reports = NIL. Problems reported with the regulation system also = NIL.

I assume that given the length of time on the market and the adjustable regulation of these doubles that a few have been shot with fairly stout reloads (not recommended) and the problems reported with these also come to the total sum of NIL.

Yes you get what you pay for but to constantly denegrate all these guns based on one bad report is ridiculous. I am sure that the Canadian had a bad experience but who can honestly say that the total production run of all mass produced guns did not include one lemon. To say you would not have one even for a beater truck gun is a bit harsh considering your opinion is based on NIL personal experience.

Get some perspective please.

AkMike
.416 member

Re: Baikals with remington markings on sale in the UK [Re: Michael]
      #89894 - 27/11/07 08:14 PM

Remmy hasn't made a good rifle since the Hepburn!
I own 2 of these and nothing newer!
My "perspective" is that I have other better DR's so why waste $heckles on that thing!

--------------------

AkMike
.416 member

#89895 - 27/11/07 08:18 PM

Quote:

build issues have been NIL.
saftey problems or reports = NIL.
regulation system = NIL.
sum of NIL.
opinion is based on NIL personal experience.

So Michael,do you have any verifiable hard numbers or is your opinion = NIL and your talking to hear your self make noise?

--------------------

500Nitro
.450 member

#89896 - 27/11/07 08:51 PM

Michael

Are you the importer of the Baikals into Australia ?

If not, do you know what the answers is NIL
to all the guns imported ?

peter
removed

Reged: 11/04/07
Loc: denmark
Re: Baikals with remington markings on sale in the UK [Re: 500Nitro]
      #89899 - 27/11/07 09:15 PM

i must say that michael might have a point.

baikals are a lot of things, soft and weak usually is not the problem.

lets give them a fair chance, shit the blazer had a few incindents in europe and that is a very strong rifle, you can take every gun maker and they will have a lemon or two in there past.

mehul

If there are idiots somewhere who believe in taking crap and not suing to punish those who sold them junk, they deserve that junk. What was the old saying about fools and their money...

it just seems to me that quite a few of your fellow americans use your legal system like a lotto ticket. i dont know the details about the incindent with the wrecked baikal but if nobody got hurt then it is just a matter of telling the factory that it is a do over. suing should be the last thing on everybodys mind unless it is a get rich quick sheme.

IMO the legal habits in the us is killing a lot of small buisness ideas due to the insurance they have to keep in case they get sued.

regards peter

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: Baikals with remington markings on sale in the UK [Re: peter]
      #89909 - 28/11/07 12:44 AM

I have seen many and owned four Baikals and had a lot {too much...} of interaction with the old EAA concern.

First, though I loved the concept of the EAA combos and I had one superb one, I did have some troubles with the EAA guns. Regulation was a problem on 3 of them, with no solution. One allowed primers to flow back through the breech and that gun was replaced by EAA. EAA was a difficult outfit to deal with, but in their defence they were very eager to experiment and encouraged the production and sale of Baikals in a whole host of calibers/configurations, some of which I wish were still for sale. My opinion is that they were just about ready to clinch the deal so-to-speak and establish a great line of guns in setups unavailable anywhere else when disaster struck and the marketing rights were sold to Remington. Maybe a good move for EAA. Bad move for the customer.

Remington has in my opinion absolutely screwed the pooch yet again. They eliminated the big game calibers from the combo line and shaved the line down to just a few guns, have made no improvements whatsoever as far as I am concerned and have ruined the entire marketing concept of the Baikals, which was to introduce to the USA very practical European concepts in hunting arms at a very cheap price. Oh, yes, for all this Remington added insult to injury by tagging on an additional $100-$150 Good-Ole-Boy Factor per gun. Your added value for doing business with Remington. Nothing for something.

Remington has a habit of dropping a turd in the punchbowl.

Look at the Mauser 98's they sell, or should I say, catalog. I'm not certain anybody wants them in their clubby plywood stocks. Look at the dandy Yugo .22 they took over. Ditto. Take an inexpensive, Eurostyled, walnut-stocked, practical, trim and slim, sleek little bolt rifle and hand it over to your designers to recreate into a cheap-looking Americo-Frankenstein halfbreed bastardized axe handle you don't even sell spare magazines for and then hand your loyal customers the bill that includes, surprise, yet another Good-Ole-Boy premium.

When Reminton goes out of business I bet they'll have a few '98's and some of these .22's left on the shelf. Unless they are successful at dumping them and the leftover Baikals on the shores of unsuspecting Blighty.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

400NitroExpress
.400 member

Reged: 26/11/03
Loc: Lone Star State
      #89915 - 28/11/07 01:29 AM

Quote:

The Baikal (not Remington) doubles have been available here in both u/o and sxs configurations for quite a while and the feedback on any safety or build issues have been NIL.

The sxs is available in only 30/06 and .308 so far (I doubt whether we'll see the 45/70 anytime soon) and the u/o have been available in these plus 9.3x74R. Again saftey problems or reports = NIL. Problems reported with the regulation system also = NIL.

I assume that given the length of time on the market and the adjustable regulation of these doubles that a few have been shot with fairly stout reloads (not recommended) and the problems reported with these also come to the total sum of NIL.

Yes you get what you pay for but to constantly denegrate all these guns based on one bad report is ridiculous. I am sure that the Canadian had a bad experience but who can honestly say that the total production run of all mass produced guns did not include one lemon. To say you would not have one even for a beater truck gun is a bit harsh considering your opinion is based on NIL personal experience.

My, that's more than a little over the top. I'll bet the degree that he's privy to Remington's testing of this stuff = NIL too.

C'mon guys, garbahhhge is garbahhhge. A $50 gun for $1000. What a deal. There's a sucker born every minute.

--------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

9.3x57
.450 member

Re: Baikals with remington markings on sale in the UK [Re: 400NitroExpress]
      #89919 - 28/11/07 01:45 AM

Quote:

C'mon guys, garbahhhge is garbahhhge. A $50 gun for $1000. What a deal. There's a sucker born every minute.

400, I wouldn't go this far.

I wouldn't call them garbage. The good one I had {.30'06/12 ga} was a 1 MOA rifle with the '06 barrel, shot slugs and rifle bullet to same POA at 40m and sent the shot cloud right around the front sight hold at same. The extractor worked perfectly on the rimless case, no functioning problems at all. Only reason I got rid of it was that the stock was smashed in an accident and I sold it in a act of admitted stupidity.

Too good to be true? Probably.

But I have read of many others that have good ones, too, too many to sweep aside as flukes, and my opinion is that if EAA had kept them going we'd have a line of very useful double and combo guns a fellow wouldn't be afraid to run hard and put up wet.

But it's a moot point.

Remington pounded the last nail into the coffin of that idea.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

watto
.275 member

Reged: 10/06/07
Loc: Victoria,Australia
Re: Baikals with remington markings on sale in the UK [Re: 9.3x57]
      #89955 - 28/11/07 09:09 AM

G'day all,
Well although I have said it before in another post, I had to respond. Several months ago I was looking to purchase my first double rifle and being a bit limited in the purchasing power, I was looking at the lower end of the market. After a kind offer from another member of this forum, I got to shoot half a dozen shots or so from his O&U Baikal in 9.3x74. I looked at the next up the price line at the one with the "pretty" high gloss stock complete with I believe imitation grain, for almost 3 x the price (Fabarm) The Baikal was certainly plainer and the machined checkering wasn't terribly
attractive, but the action was tight with what appeared to be a good fit apart from the but to action timber being a bit proud. I decided on the Baikal and after picking it up set to some loading. I won't quote exact loads here, but I put a few starting loads through first because I too was uncertain of the action strength. No problems picked up there so I progressed up to the load that would approximate the factory 9.3x74 ballistics.

In relation to the regulating device the only problem I had was OVER ADJUSTING, once I realized this fact I quickly had it grouping T & B 1.5 inches at 50m (bad mix there, sorry). I then adjusted my scope to centre of group 1" high at 50m and shot a few more groups for practice. Barring the first few groups over a folded jacket on the cat bonnet, all groups were shot how they would be when I hunt, standing with a side support of the nearest tree. I had loaded 60 rounds and used 55 of them in regulating, sighting in and practice and there were no problems of any sort.

My next days off work I went out to one of my local hunting spots and with only a short walk just on dusk spotted two Sambar hinds in the bottom of a gully at about 125m or so. They had seen me and started to move off slowly. I swung onto the low shoulder of the first and dropped it with a freestanding shot and 30 seconds later had cross hairs on the second one but did not take the shot as I was confident the first was down although out of sight. As it was the one I hit moved about 10m
before dropping.

So that is the extent of my experience with the Baikal 9.3 x 74 and it's sure plain but certainly not rubbish.

PS: I had a look at a beautiful Chapuis yesterday in 375 H&H and if I had $14,000 to spare I certainly would have been tempted. The entry level SxSmodel in 9.3 x 74 was quoted at $6,500AU,
and as much as I would like one I could not justify the extra $4,300 at this time and I am sure there are a lot of others members of this sight that would not call the Baikal crap, but value for money!

All the best and good shooting, Ian.

Michael
.275 member

Re: Baikals with remington markings on sale in the UK [Re: watto]
      #89962 - 28/11/07 11:57 AM

500Nitro I assure you and others on this board that I do not import the Baikals but have not heard of any bad reports either on this forum or other Australian hunting forums who would discuss such issues if they arose. Also more to the point I have had this discussion with my local gun dealer who purchases the doubles direct from the importer and they have yet to hear any negative reports; so far they total NIL. Have you heard something?

AK Mike I am glad that you have other doubles to play with any will not spend the sheckles on a Baikal. But do not denigrate the person who can only afford a Baikal double and this is the only means for them to use this wonderful genre of firearm. Also if you so proudly have never owned a Baikal then how can you even contemplate to comment on something that you have absolutely no knowledge on and attempt to lord over the rest of us on here.

Let me give you some perspective - No I do not own a Baikal rifle but I do own two shotguns a sxs more than 40 years old and a o/u made in the 90's. They have both given years of trouble free service both in the steaming tropical floodplains of the Northern Territory and freezing duck blinds in Gippsland. These are field guns and they do not get any preferential treatment yet function flawlessly. Yes I understand that you are referring to rifles here but I am just highlighting the fact that my experience with Baikal has been nothing but positive.

Also for some very relevant additional perspective - please read Watto's post (he actually owns and uses the said double rifle).

PS. I do not post on here to hear myself talking, as you may notice I have been a member here for sometime and visit regularly yet my post count is still relatively low. If you took the time to review my posts you would find I only bother to put up topics for discussion that I find interesting or comment on things that I may have some knowledge about. Not make personal attacks on people who offer an alternative view or slander a product that I have not had any personal experience with.

AkMike
.416 member

#89966 - 28/11/07 01:23 PM

I do not believe that I ever said anything bad about the owners of these guns. I simply stated that there was a problem with at least one in Canada. I also said I wouldn't own one myself and I won't. I just wondered about the frames springing as stated.
There isn't any attack on you or other owners of Biakals. I know Russian machinery is over built. I've been there several times myself and have examined alot of differnt things. Many are crude in comparison. I have shot the SS Biakal in 06 while I was in Ukraine. It worked for a boar.
If you re-read I believe Watto is using an O/U not the SXS we're talking about.
Chill out Dude!

--------------------

Michael
.275 member

#89974 - 28/11/07 04:57 PM

AK Mike no you didn't say anything bad about the owners, but based on the sum total of one complaint you and others have seen fit to fix a label to these guns, and as infered by another poster there is something about fools and their money. I personally need to see more evidence of problems with these guns before I start to consign them to the scrap heap, regardless of price. Also I know that Watto was speaking about the u/o and in fact I have used a friend's (9.3x74R) on a hunt in the Northern Territory a few months back; but seeing as you are calling them all crap I thought that Watto's experience may be of some value, just for perspective of course.

Also I would like to note that I never sought to represent myself as a person in the know of Remington and their testing results; if anyone does know they more than welcome to post the results here otherwise we are all acting on heresay and that is never a good idea.

Please don't tell me to "chill out dude". I am quite chilled, just keep to the facts, that is all I ask.

mehulkamdar
.416 member

#89977 - 28/11/07 05:18 PM

Peter,

I did run a small business in the USA, quite successfully until I decided to pursue a PhD, something that I want to do before I die. Never bought liability insurance for it and never had a problem myself. There are a few nuts who are addicted to suing, I guess, but there are vastly more people here who like to live quiet and decent lives.

Now, before this gets more off topic, thanks, Watto, for your report about your rifle. I spoke to a very good friend in the UK who is a leading dealer in fine guns (and who sells some of the greatest treasures that I know of to the vastly wealthy in the US and to the monarchs and nobility of the Middle East) some time ago and he told me that he thought Baikals were very strong guns in his opinion, if crude, but then, what does someone expect at the kind of low prices that they sell at? In any case, if remington were to put these guns on sale in the US, I would buy one in 45-70 to have some fun with it. No, I shall NOT buy a 30-06 because that is not what I want - I have a 30-06 Mauser rifle that I bought from Brian Perazone which I dearly like and I think Baikal should have looked at the 303 if they wanted a military medium bore for their rifles (Wolf do make 303 ammunition in Russia after all) instead of the 30-06.

I hope Remington have someone trolling the various forums - if they visit here, they would see how much interest there is in this product and probably offer it on sale instead of dragging their feet like they usually do.

Good hunting, everyone!

--------------------

Mehul Kamdar

AkMike
.416 member

#89979 - 28/11/07 05:24 PM

"but seeing as you are calling them all crap I thought that Watto's experience may be of some value"

You, my friend need to get your head out of what ever anal oriface it's up in!
I never said that they were crap.
You seem to want to play word games and calling everything anyone else says NIL...
You Sir have earned my NIL.

--------------------

Michael
.275 member

#89980 - 28/11/07 05:31 PM

You weren't calling them crap?

Well I must have misread your comment regarding you'll never purchase one even to use as a truck beater gun. Is this a compliment? If so you have my sincerest apologies otherwise don't get personal.

Every gun has a skeleton in the closet, a lemon that was taken back by a dissatisfied owner; lets just give this one the courtesy of failing before we start making judgements.

Is this too much to ask?

AkMike
.416 member

#89981 - 28/11/07 05:39 PM

I won't buy a Rolls Royce either.. But I didn't call them Crap either..
But then again this isn't a Rolls, Or a Chevy, Or a Ford.
Maybe an older Yugo?

--------------------

500Nitro
.450 member

#89982 - 28/11/07 05:50 PM

Michael

As though the importer is going to spread negative rumours about the guns - but I will agree, there are not many.

Just one point - one mans Yugo is another man's Rolls Royce
- people expectations are different so some will think a Baikal is a u beaut, fair dinkum double - fine by me.

watto
.275 member

Reged: 10/06/07
Loc: Victoria,Australia
      #89983 - 28/11/07 06:08 PM

Terribly sorry if my comments were not relevant, but the heading on the posts relates to Baikals not specifically sxs or u&o. I was purely reporting my experience with what I believe to be a value for money double. As a matter of fact I am thinking of adding the 30/06 sxs to my stable. The sighting position is terrible for me but the open sights are no good for my sight these days anyway, so a low power scope or red dot would be going on it. While looking at the sxs I put a red dot on and suddenly
it lined up perfectly. If the rifle worked well then another few hundred dollars would buy a nice walnut blank to replace the very utilitarian standard stock and I could lengthen the pull a little at the same time. As has been reported here by others, I have not heard any adverse reports other than the finish, and most people state that that has improved from a few years ago. If that is correct maybe there has been an overall improvement in the quality compared to earlier models and some faults
may have been addressed and rectified. Finally as one who has had a 45/70 sxs on order for a couple of years, they are not happening yet. I have been told by one of their agents that the demand for other models will not allow the production of the 45/70 for at least another year.

All the best, Ian.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Baikals with remington markings on sale in the UK [Re: watto]
      #89984 - 28/11/07 06:38 PM

Quote:

Terribly sorry if my comments were not relevant, but the heading on the posts relates to Baikals not specifically sxs or u&o. I was purely reporting my experience with what I believe to be a value for money double. As a matter of fact I am thinking of adding the 30/06 sxs to my stable. The sighting position is terrible for me but the open sights are no good for my sight these days anyway, so a low power scope or red dot would be going on it. While looking at the sxs I put a red dot on and suddenly

Ian,

Why aren't your comments relevant? As a post from a user with first hand experience of the rifle, it is probably the most useful post on the thread along with 9ThreeXFifty7's first hand experience with a somewhat similar configuration.

Gentlemen,

I have heard of several U/O Baikals in Australia with no problems and recently it seems the S/S have arrived.

I think the 9.3 mm is a much better choice than a .45/70 any day as a practical hunting rifle calibre. The .45/70 appeals as a pseudo big bore and seems the main target of guys wanting to "upgrade".

I think Mehul is right, a .303 would have been nice too.

Sure everyone would like a Royal Grade vintage DR, or the best modern manufactured Heym they could afford, but a Baikal might still fit the bill as actual usuable game getter for hunters with more limited wallets. Not everyone buys double rifles to sit oiled in a collection. Some will be out there in the rain and mud shooting pigs by the dozen and deer by the handful. If they do that well enough for their owners that is what is needed.

However I am not impressed by how many guys want to immediately "upgrade" them by re-chambering them to something more powerful. This sounds like asking for trouble to me.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

9.3x57
.450 member

Re: Baikals with remington markings on sale in the UK [Re: NitroX]
      #90138 - 30/11/07 12:54 PM

Quote:

I think Mehul is right, a .303 would have been nice too.

Couple things. I agree. A .303 would be pretty neat. In fact, tho, in EAA's defence, IIRC they catalogued a 7.62x54R for a while tho I don't think they ever sold them, and maybe never made them? I suspect though that some were made and maybe sold over in Russia. However, Mehul, on a trivial point, the .303 Wolf imports is, I think, actually made in Serbia. Good stuff though, just the same. I shoot lots of it in 6.5x55 and 8x57.

However I am not impressed by how many guys want to immediately "upgrade" them by re-chambering them to something more powerful. This sounds like asking for trouble to me.

This last bit kind of confuses me, too. I mean, the guns were made in .45-70 {Nitro's pseudo-big-bore. ...I love it...I love the .45-70, too, and don't take it personally. I think of my .45-70 high pressure loads as the "Assault Weapon Loadings" of the .45-70 so I don't run afoul of NitroX... }

Anyway, if the dang gun is made in .45-70, .9.3x74R, .30-06 and 7x57R, why rebore/chamber to some other? I don't know, to each his own, but it confuses me, too... The 9.3x74R is nothing to sneeze at.

As for the reference to Remington trolls. I hope there is a chubby, fat-faced, dirt-under-the-talons troglodyte on the Remington payroll sitting here reading this as I type. Get the "big bore" combo and double Baikals back in the lineup, clean up any warts {read: REGULATION PROBLEMS} you find, and I near double guarantee you that you will sell a boatload of them. And please, keep the Good'Ole'Boy Factor to a minimum...

They are great guns for the quid.

--------------------

mehulkamdar
.416 member

#90213 - 01/12/07 02:49 AM

9ThreeXFifty7,

If Remington were to offer the 7.62x54R I would buy that as ammo would be cheap - there are huge numbers of $ 100 Mosins in use in Wisconsin, Indiana etc and this would be in keeping with the Baikal's status as a low price using gun. The 9.3x74R is a fine cartridge, no doubt, but then it suggests champagne class, not quite the cheap beer budget that, I think, most people would want to address with this rifle whenever/if it comes out.

In any case, yes, if Remington have an ear to the ground instead of having their collective heads buried there, they would know how much interest there really is in buying these rifles. Several forums have gotten tired of speculating on when or whether they would launch these rifles - since they do seem to have found time to launch them on sale in the UK, I hope that we would get them here soon enough. What I cannot understand, though, is their strategy in doing what theya re doing - the US is the world's largest market for guns and ammunition. You would think that they would try to address this first - somehow, they seem otherwise inclined.

--------------------

Mehul Kamdar

9.3x57
.450 member

#90330 - 02/12/07 08:32 AM

Quote:

9ThreeXFifty7,

If Remington were to offer the 7.62x54R I would buy that as ammo would be cheap

Same here.

Really, I can hardly think of a better double/combo cartridge than the 7.62x54R. Rimmed already, great ballistics, a vast amount and variety of loads available. I wonder though, as there are those fellows who say shooting Nosler Partitions and Swift A-Frames is a no-no out of double guns due to the increased resistance the partition offers the barrel steel. Many 7.62x54R bullets use steel or other hard cores with a skin of lead between the core material and the jacket. A problem for a double? I don't know. Might be depending on groove depth.

My hope when Remington took over the sale of the guns was that their engineers might spend a wee bit of time figuring out a regulation method that would be easy to incorporate into production, thereby eliminating that bug-bear from the design which is to say adding an excellent feature to the gun. The guns are "almost" there in my opinion, and just a little more attention would make them quite amazing for the price. Incidently, I shot quite a variety of loads thru my .30-06 and had zero pressure problems with it that I could determine.

--------------------

CptCurlAdministrator
.450 member

Reged: 01/05/04
Loc: Fincastle, Botetourt County, V...
      #90332 - 02/12/07 08:49 AM

A .30-40 Krag would be nice!

Curl

--------------------
RoscoeStephenson.com

YOUR DOUBLE RIFLE IS YOUR BEST FRIEND.

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Baikals with remington markings on sale in the UK [Re: CptCurl]
      #90393 - 03/12/07 05:42 AM

$1,000 US - hmmm - few more months and that might only be $800.00 cdn. Cool!
: Last pole of 2003 - 43% of the US baby boomers planned on funding their retirement with a law suit.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Alberta
.275 member

Reged: 03/12/07
Loc: Canada
Re: Baikals with remington markings on sale in the UK [Re: DarylS]
      #90420 - 03/12/07 12:18 PM

Hey, I am that "Canadian guy" with the springy sxs Baikal in 30-06. My rifle also had an issue with the safety not working correctly. I sent it back, and haven't heard anything about it since. I will be phoning the Canadian importer in Toronto this week, maybe next, no big hurry. The store I bought it at sent it to them a year ago!LOL To be honest I wanted to wait quite a while before getting a new one just to see if any one else is having problems.

So far that was the *only* rifle I have heard of (from an owner) that had any problems what so ever. There was a few of them sold here and I know one guy was really happy with his. I have never ever heard of a problem with a O/U, which have been produced for quite a long time. I have also NEVER had a problem with any Baikal I have ever owned (other than the sxs) so lets be clear on that.

9.3x57
.450 member

Re: Baikals with remington markings on sale in the UK [Re: Alberta]
      #90423 - 03/12/07 01:05 PM

Quote:

Hey, I am that "Canadian guy" with the springy sxs Baikal in 30-06.

What is a "springy" action?

What happened?

Cases stretch and separate?

Please advise...

--------------------

peter
removed

Reged: 11/04/07
Loc: denmark
      #90442 - 03/12/07 07:23 PM

hi alberta

wellcome to the site, it is good to have the one that is in the know about the bad baikal S&S rifle.
so we can get the right info instead of rumors and speculation.

again wellcome to the site.

peter

Alberta
.275 member

#90471 - 04/12/07 06:21 AM

Here is a copy/paste of my range time with the Baikal. Please take note that I have never owned a double rife before, some of my terminology and thinking may be incorrect.

Well, I shot it. I put about 60 rounds through it today. I did all my shooting at 50 yards, standing up and resting my for end hand on a sand bag. I shot 4 shot groups, Right,Left, Right Left bbls without letting bbls cool.

First thing I shot was some very light 150g loads (55g H4350 and a Ballistic tip)that I had made up a year ago. My fist group was not so good my second one was the best of the day, about 1.5". The gun actually regulated well with those loads. Both bbls went to about the same horizontal area but there was a bit of vertical spread. The average group was about 3" and about a foot left of center.

Then I shot some factory Winchester 165g Power Points. This is where things went for s**t. After firing the first two shots I had a hard time pushing the lever over to open the action. I noticed that the primer from the left bbl had quite a big pucker mark where it had flowed into the firing pin hole. The mark is not just around the firing pin but actually raised into the hole. It seems the pins do not remain out after firing, they pop out then go back in. This allows the primer to flow into the hole. I fired to more shots and again had a hard time opening the action. The group was well regulated, the left bbl slightly to the left and the right a little to the right. The group was about 3".

I had a box of Winchester 180g Power Points so I shot those. I fired 2 shots and when I went to open the gun I had a hard time moving the lever. I looked at the Face and saw that the bbls had been pushed off face. I opened the gun and saw the primer pucker mark again. I shot one shot through the Crony, it was 2730 from the 23.5" bbl. I stopped shooting factory ammo. It is too hot for this gun, not that the pressure is to high from the factory loads just that the gun cant handle the regular pressure from the 30-06 . I seriously doubt that the gun would last long shooting loads of normal pressure. I guess it would shoot off face very quickly. I also noticed that the safety would not move to the safe position if the right bbl was uncooked. To put it on safe I had to push the right trigger forward then the safety switch would slide. I know for sure that it worked fine the day before. ARGHH

I then shot a load of 53g IMR 4350 with a 165g Hornady. I had the OAL at 3.210 It seems this gun does not have much free bore. The gun shot a 3.5" group again regulated well. The right bbl printed over the left, making a square. The gun opened normally.

I shot 55g load with the Hornady. It made a nice 1.75" group except for a high flier from the right bbl opening the group to 4" Gun opened normally.

Next was a 57g load. The left bbl shot left and the right right. The group was a 5" square. The qun did not open easily but was not as bad as the factory loads. But still too much pressure!!

I then went home and made up a bunch of 53g loads with the 165g Hornady since it worked ok. I wanted to adjust the jack screw so I turned it 5 clicks towards the butt. It crossed the bullets by 4.75" but at least they were on the same horizontal plane. I began to turn the jack screw back to where it was set before. I moved it a few clicks at a time then shot, then moved it some more. The left bbl did not move much, an inch or two but the right would really move around. I brought both bbls back together so they printed on top of each other again. The left bbl seemed to move quite predictably but the right did not do so well. I quite often had a high flier. BTW the right bbl is the floating bbl and the left is the fixed bbl.

I then shot some light 180g loads, 49g IMR 4350 with a Hornady Interlock BT. I measured this at 2360 FPS These bullets crossed by 6" Normally a heavy bullet will shoot wide of each other, and I saw it happen with the 2 180g factory loads I shot. But due to the low velocity and light recoil these bullets crossed. I adjusted the jack screw, turning it towards the muzzle to bring these bullets together. I ran out of shots and they were crossing but only by 2" Also all the bullets were on the same horizontal plane except one high flier from the right bbl again.

I shot some 180g Hornadys with 51gof IMR4350 at 2430FPS. These bullets regulated perfectly with were I last left the jack screw set . The increased recoil stopped then from crossing like the last load did. Also there was always one high flier from the right bbl to spoil each group. Without that right bbl flier I had 3 shots into an inch, but some times that right bbl (it would be the first shot one time then the second one the next) would print high and opened the groups to 2 or 3"

-So here is what I know. This gun cannot handle factory 30-06 pressure. I don't believe the loads to be over spec pressure I just think the gun cannot handle it. Mid range hand loads only.

-There is something wrong with the safety now, probably needs to get looked at.

-The jack screw works but is quite touchy. Looking at the end bbl band, there is a lot of room left to move the Right bbl towards the left, meaning that I could probably get 200g bullets to regulate (Heavy bullets shoot wide causing you to bring the bbls closer together) To bad I wont be able to load the 200g up to a reasonable velocity.

-The Right floater bbl keeps shooting fliers high. There is room for the bbl to move side to side as the jack screw adjusts it. Unfortunately there is also some play up and down. I can actually see a little gap between the bbl band and the bbl right on the top side of the bbl. I would guess if I could tighten up the bbl band to close that gap and stop the bbl from moving up and down the high flier would go away.

-The gun shoots terribly to the left, I needed to bring the rear sight all the way over to the right to get it on the paper.

-Last but not least YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!!! I don't think the 30-06 is a good Idea in this frame. Mine doesnt seem to be able to handle it. The 45-70 would be much better suited to this rifle.

Alberta
.275 member

#90475 - 04/12/07 06:42 AM

I would just like to clarify a few things
:the primer problem I was having...later after writing that I noticed the one fireing pin hole was greatly over sized causing the pucker.

:when I say "hard to open" I mean 2 thumbs required to get the lever to move when using factory rounds, at first i did not know if it was because it was new but when I clearly saw the BBL being pushed off face when holding the rifle up to the light I know what was going on. There was NO gas blowing and NO brass flowing! and yes I did keep shooting it with lesser hand loads because I have a crazy side to me.

I also spoke with Baikal Canada today and they were VERY good to me, helped me find out what the hold up was (store/Baikal communication snafu). Looks like I can get a new rifle if I so choose.
I don't know if I will or not....ma bey.

Edited by Alberta (04/12/07 06:52 AM)

AkMike
.416 member

#90478 - 04/12/07 06:57 AM

Was this an EAA Biakal or the Remmy?
Could there be a difference in the actions after Remmy took over distributation?
Wouldn't you rather get your money back?

--------------------

Yogi000
.333 member

Reged: 02/03/06
Loc: New York, USA
      #90480 - 04/12/07 07:09 AM

Are these double rifles available yet in the states? Any idea of US prices. I just went to the Remington website and searched and found nothing about double rifles.

So you can get them in Canada now?

I be interested in one, any claibre but in 45-70 or bigger would be terrific.

Alberta
.275 member

#90481 - 04/12/07 07:15 AM

It was a Baikal 221, I don't remember it saying EAA and 100% for sure did not say Remington in it. It also would have been one of the very first sold in Canada.

As far as getting another one or not....hummmmm it was only 1000 bucks....worth a gamble on another????? Quite possibly actually.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #90517 - 04/12/07 02:56 PM

Quote:

This last bit kind of confuses me, too. I mean, the guns were made in .45-70 {Nitro's pseudo-big-bore. ...I love it...I love the .45-70, too, and don't take it personally. I think of my .45-70 high pressure loads as the "Assault Weapon Loadings" of the .45-70 so I don't run afoul of NitroX... }

Hey I'm not anti-45/70. A double in one would make a fine brush rifle or a medium game rifle. A par with a nice vintage BP or Nitro-for-black double rifle in .450.

I just don't see the sense in 'pushing' a modern cheaply made rifle into a NE powered type round if the manufacturers weren't game to do it themselves in the first place.

A Baikal s/s in say a .450 or .470 NE would outsell a .45/70 any day if they were willing to do it.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Alberta
.275 member

#90519 - 04/12/07 03:23 PM

Remember these rifles are mostly geared towards non(or beginner) double rifle aficionados. It is my personal guess that a 45-70 would be a top seller. Guys like me would eat it up, cheap and easy to buy brass bullets and factory ammo to get you started.

As far as simply rechambering to something with more power and shooting I don't know if it would work easily anyhow. There is very limited amount you can do with that jack screw. The floater bbl must always "chase" the fixed bbl when regulating. That means as recoil increases the whole gun will shoot more and more to the left. The rifle I had all ready had the rear sight all the way to the right (gun shot left) there was very little adjustment left. I am left handed, having the rear sight to the right was not a problem, a right hander would have had issues. A scope may solve that problem I guess??? I got the impression that the fixed bbl was not "angled" inwards enough, something I hope they addressed.

Edited by Alberta (04/12/07 03:35 PM)

Fladude
.224 member

Reged: 21/11/07
Loc: florida
      #90524 - 04/12/07 04:33 PM

Quote:

A Baikal s/s in say a .450 or .470 NE would outsell a .45/70 any day if they were willing to do it.

Internationally maybe. In the US, anything that's a .45 has a large and hard core cult following. No one here cares what the manufacturers want. We will have high powered .45's and someone will make them. The people who make them will get the $$$.

As for Remington, I find it humorous that people are talking about it as some local good old boy company. Cerberus is the leading stock holder in Remington. It also owns Bushmaster and Chrysler and about 60 billion dollars worth of other companies around the world.

9.3x57
.450 member

#90570 - 05/12/07 12:52 AM

Quote:

Hey I'm not anti-45/70. A double in one would make a fine brush rifle or a medium game rifle. A par with a nice vintage BP or Nitro-for-black double rifle in .450.

I just don't see the sense in 'pushing' a modern cheaply made rifle into a NE powered type round if the manufacturers weren't game to do it themselves in the first place.

Nitro, I was kidding. I understand your concern about the seemingly common obsession with hotrodding the .45-70 and then proclaiming it the equal of the .458 WM, etc. I agree with you. I am a big fan of the .45-70, particularly in the accurate and handy Marlin, a gun that can stand significantly heavier loads than the old Springfield Tradoor, etc. But I'm not going to proclaim my rifle a .458 Winchester Mag Lever Gun, either and I get a chuckle when I read others doing so.

As for selling more .450's than .45-70's, I'm not so sure. You might have a good point in Australia where they could serve a practical purpose, but I don't think any side-by-side rifle is going to be a BIG seller anywhere, and the .416+ heavy calibers are not really big sellers even in bolt guns. "Classic cordite" isn't going to set any sales records in any guns and I suspect such shells would have a tough run for their money stacked up against the .45-70 in a race in the USA. Big talk always accompanies the heavy calibers by aficionados of them, but as for actually selling them, well, that is a tough job. When I was working in retail, we sold 4000+ guns per year and I considered the .416+ calibers to be "loss leaders" of a sort, making big headlines, attracting many bwana-wanna-be's, but when push came to shove on the sales floor, we sold 100 or more "less powerful" guns {.338, .300, etc} for every one of the .416+ biggies. For simple reasons; A guy could use the smaller bores whereas he could look at and pretend with the big ones. The guy may have come in to the shop to handle a .458, but he went home with a .338. And it happened all the time.

Before I get swamped with howls from the defenders of big-bores, I'm not condemning the ownership or use of them in any way, but I AM stating that from a marketing standpoint, the heavies are tough to send out the door. They are a very slim slice of the gun pie. Sure, there are shops where they are sold, there are dealers that sell them. But for a company to weigh the pretty-popular .45-70 against the not-very-popular .450 NE, and tool up to produce the .450 would be a difficult decision to make and if I was on the marketing board I'd vote .45-70 all the way.

I still think the heavies are great marketing tools for gun companies, but as for mass appeal and big money being made from them? Watch the next economic slowdown. They'll be the first ones to disappear from the catalogues. If there is little market for the .45-70 in the Baikal sxs, I doubt there's a market at all for the .450 NE.

--------------------

mehulkamdar
.416 member

Re: Baikals with remington markings on sale in the UK [Re: Fladude]
      #90606 - 05/12/07 06:38 AM

Quote:

As for Remington, I find it humorous that people are talking about it as some local good old boy company. Cerberus is the leading stock holder in Remington. It also owns Bushmaster and Chrysler and about 60 billion dollars worth of other companies around the world.

If Cerberus have any brains whatsoever, they would look at marketing what hunters have an interest in buying instead of dragging their feet over something that they have been talking about for more than two years now.

its not as if big companies have never screwed up. If Remington and Chrysler were doing well, they would never have gotten sold in the first place.

--------------------

Mehul Kamdar

500Nitro
.450 member

#90611 - 05/12/07 06:41 AM

Ah, mehulkamdar, well said.

But Big Companies know what they are doing !!!!

englishupland
.224 member

Reged: 21/12/07
Loc: MI
      #94407 - 16/01/08 05:26 PM

Any idea where I can get one in the US?? Havnt seen the SXS on any auctions...Dealers dont have any.

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
1 registered and 88 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 8555

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com