Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: henry atkin 450/400 3"(ups i did it again)

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
peter
removed

Reged: 11/04/07
Loc: denmark
henry atkin 450/400 3"(ups i did it again)
      #85983 - 21/09/07 05:49 AM

ah well

holts auction just closed for today, and i hope i did okay. I didnt blow any budgets all though that would have very easy, since prices went very high on some of the objekts today, well that must mean that other people needed the guns more than i did.

this is what i came out with:

** STEYR 6.5mm (MS) 'M.1903' MANNLICHER SCHOENAUER BOLT-MAGAZINE TAKE-DOWN SPORTING RIFLE, serial no. 24262, 57cm. barrel, bead fore-sight, rear-sight of three folding leaves each with platinum-inlaid centre-line calibrated to 300 metres, receiver tapped and with mount for quick detachable scope mounts, the cocking-piece with Parker-Hale mount for a peep-sight, tang-mounted sprung peep-sight, 14 3/4in. pistolgrip stock (some bruising).

according to charles montgomery who found it, this gun has lived most of its life in Zim, and i would get the story on it later this one is for niicky, my wife who has a love affair with the 6,5 caliber and me

HEURTIER (ST. ETIENNE) 9.3X74R BOXLOCK NON-EJECTOR DOUBLE RIFLE, serial no. 970, 23 5/8in. nitro barrels with engraved sight rib, open sights and ramp-mounted bead foresight, manual safety, action face with gas checks, border and scroll engraving, brushed finish overall, 14 5/8in. figured pistolgrip stock with sculpted cheekpiece, palm swell, steel pistolgrip-cap and including buttplate, weight 8lb.

i havent seen this gun yet, because the pic in the on-line catalog werent right, just hoping that it wont hurt my eyes to much when i recive it but at 1200£ i took a chance so we will see
(so i got i pic it is not to bad for the eyes)

A PAIR OF HENRY ATKIN LTD (FROM PURDEY'S) .450 / 400 (3IN) NITRO EXPRESS DOUBLE RIFLE BARRELS, serial no. 3065, for an ejector rifle, 26in. with matt sight rib and doll's-head extension, leaf sights and ramp-mounted bead foresight, sight rib engraved 'HENRY ATKIN LTD (FROM PURDEY'S) 88 JERMYN ST. LONDON. S.W.', the sunken rib engraved '450 / 400. 3" CASE. CHARGE. CORDITE 60 GRS. BULLET 400 GRS

I got a line on a atkin SLE shotgun with blown barrels so i had the idea that it would be the best way for me to have a atkin rifle in a nice little caliber

i will post pictures when the guns arrive x your fingers about the HEURTIER that i dont have to use it as i fishing weight.

peter

Edited by peter (09/03/08 11:51 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Double_Trouble
.375 member

Reged: 27/04/06
Loc: Canada
Re: ups i did it again [Re: peter]
      #85985 - 21/09/07 06:44 AM

Peter:
sounds like you did very well!
I hope that the 9.3 is in good shape!
keep us posted!

DT

--------------------
Double Trouble,
Speak not of what you do not know.
Listen up when it's time to.

400NitroExpress
.400 member

Reged: 26/11/03
Loc: Lone Star State
      #85989 - 21/09/07 08:23 AM

Quote:

A PAIR OF HENRY ATKIN LTD (FROM PURDEY'S) .450 / 400 (3IN) NITRO EXPRESS DOUBLE RIFLE BARRELS, serial no. 3065, for an ejector rifle, 26in. with matt sight rib and doll's-head extension, leaf sights and ramp-mounted bead foresight, sight rib engraved 'HENRY ATKIN LTD (FROM PURDEY'S) 88 JERMYN ST. LONDON. S.W.', the sunken rib engraved '450 / 400. 3" CASE. CHARGE. CORDITE 60 GRS. BULLET 400 GRS

I got a line on a atkin SLE shotgun with blown barrels so i had the idea that it would be the best way for me to have a atkin rifle in a nice little caliber

Peter:

Yes, it would be nice to find an action to fit those barrels to. Having new double rifle barrels made is expensive as hell. The problem will be finding an action to fit them to.

I had seen those barrels in the catalogue. They're from a double rifle that was only retailed by Atkin, built for them by someone else. It was almost certainly a boxlock. Note the Birmingham proof marks. Also note the non-matching trade maker's number on the key rib between the barrels. Atkin's number 3065, trade maker's number 87,933. Also note the doll's head extension. There is very little chance that these barrels will fit an Atkin sidelock shotgun, especially if it is a best, which will have no doll's head extension.

It would be a good idea to find out who the trade maker was. Looking at them, I can't tell. The Atkin number is from 1931 according to published SN tables. However, the proof marks are 1904 rule (no case length mark) which were superseded by new rules in 1925, which added the case length mark (it would say 3" on the flats). The table could be wrong, but the gun may also have laid around for a while. It would be a good idea to contact Ken Duglan at Atkin Grant & Lang to see what Atkin's records say. The records that survive of many of the London firms (day books) generally don't indicate the source of a bought in gun, or even that it was bought in. The availability of that information depends on what records survive.

Still, they're probably worth what you paid for them.

--------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

peter
removed

Re: ups i did it again [Re: 400NitroExpress]
      #86008 - 21/09/07 03:52 PM

Thank you DT and 400NE

I think i will take the barrels to H&H in denmark(aka hunters house ) Ole has a big collection of brit guns in there maybe i will find something that fits.

the atkin SLE that was blown up will actually be a prime candidate for a sleving job, but the deal is not made yet.

i got ken duglans phone nr yesterday because he was sitting next to charles who was acting on my behalf at the auction.so i will call him later next week.

i paid 450£ for the atkin barrels and that was ok with me, im really taking a fancy to the 400 caliber, very nice do anything round.

peter

empirevr
.375 member

Reged: 03/09/06
Loc: England,but now Italy.
      #86091 - 22/09/07 11:49 PM

Hi Peter

-If you can make a nice gun with those barrels let me know if you then wish to sell it!

Surely a 20b action of some kind or am i lost again? Also.....a knackered 450 bpe action isnt ok or is it or? Know where there is one I think.......

Ben

empirevr
.375 member

Re: ups i did it again [Re: empirevr]
      #86093 - 23/09/07 12:00 AM

Hang on......sorry

That is to say a 450 bpe action that has knackered BARRELS.

Ben

peter
removed

Re: ups i did it again [Re: empirevr]
      #86179 - 25/09/07 07:12 PM

Quote:

Hi Peter

-If you can make a nice gun with those barrels let me know if you then wish to sell it!

Surely a 20b action of some kind or am i lost again? Also.....a knackered 450 bpe action isnt ok or is it or? Know where there is one I think.......

Ben

hi ben

it will proberly be a 12 gauge action, correct me if im wrong, but it seems to me that most english db. rifles were made on large actions to get as much weight between your hands as possible for the correct handling.
the german belgium and french guns were usually made on smaller actions to get sleek lines.

i have been thinking about that and think that it maybe because of diffrent hunting styles in continental europe and the brit iles.

a lot moore spot and stalk or high seats in cont. europe where the sleek lines really comes into play

where the brit guns were made for hunting the world in a lot of instintic shooting were the order of the day.

just some thoughts i have been toying around with lately

P.S very few of the guns that makes it into my safe gets sold again, but if i sell out it off course will be put on the classified forum.

peter

CptCurlAdministrator
.450 member

Reged: 01/05/04
Loc: Fincastle, Botetourt County, V...
      #86182 - 25/09/07 08:25 PM

I think the only way to put those barrels back in service would be to have an action custom made for them. It simply would be an incredible coincidence to find an action to which they would just mate up.

You are fretting over what gauge to seek out, but the critical dimension for first consideration is the spacing between the firing pins. This must precisely match the distance between the centers of the bores on your barrels. Start your search there, and maybe you'll get lucky.

Good luck,
Curl

--------------------
RoscoeStephenson.com

YOUR DOUBLE RIFLE IS YOUR BEST FRIEND.

peter
removed

Re: ups i did it again [Re: CptCurl]
      #86183 - 25/09/07 09:41 PM

Quote:

I think the only way to put those barrels back in service would be to have an action custom made for them. It simply would be an incredible coincidence to find an action to which they would just mate up.

You are fretting over what gauge to seek out, but the critical dimension for first consideration is the spacing between the firing pins. This must precisely match the distance between the centers of the bores on your barrels. Start your search there, and maybe you'll get lucky.

Good luck,
Curl

thanks curl

i never hoped for the barrels to mate up to any action, thats where the hand fitting comes into play, but i dont think finding a action will be that hard since although these were hand made there were some standards in the buisness concerning action forgings and caliber size and spaceing between firing pins.

the gauge thing is more a commen denominator between wich actions were used most frequently and the 12 was it in england in most cases

im having the extra frazer barrels that i got with the alex henry fitted to another action(12 gauge underlever exposed hammers) as we speak and it took 2 days of searching to find a nice donor, should be done in about 3 months time.

so if you find an extra set of barrels, dont sweat it go out and find the action that fits and have yourself another dbl rifle.

peter

empirevr
.375 member

#86195 - 26/09/07 04:56 AM

Hmmm

I shall certainly add this to my list of options anyway.....unless luck has it with the 577.....which the owner still doesnt have in his own hands yet....good reason though.

Best wishes

Ben

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #86213 - 26/09/07 12:38 PM

Quote:

im having the extra frazer barrels that i got with the alex henry fitted to another action(12 gauge underlever exposed hammers) as we speak and it took 2 days of searching to find a nice donor, should be done in about 3 months time.

Peter,

I'm confused. So you purchased two(2) sets of double rifle barrels in the same lot ie a set of Fraser barrels and a set of Henry Atkin barrels?

The Atkin barrels are in .450/.400 3". Are the Fraser barrels the same chambering?

Hope it all works out. Sounds like it may be a cheaper way to build a double rifle out of a shotgun than building double rifle barrels to add to a shotgun. Instead add the existing barrels! I don't know the technicalities involved at all however.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

peter
removed

Re: ups i did it again [Re: NitroX]
      #86222 - 26/09/07 04:31 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Peter,

I'm confused. So you purchased two(2) sets of double rifle barrels in the same lot ie a set of Fraser barrels and a set of Henry Atkin barrels?

The Atkin barrels are in .450/.400 3". Are the Fraser barrels the same chambering?

Hope it all works out. Sounds like it may be a cheaper way to build a double rifle out of a shotgun than building double rifle barrels to add to a shotgun. Instead add the existing barrels! I don't know the technicalities involved at all however.

john

no this time i just bought the set of atkin barrels, but when i bought the alex henry there was 2 barrel sets with it, the 20x577 and a set of 450/400 3.25 made by danl frazer, i just for the fun of it had the frazer barrels with me when i went to a gundealer friend of mine.
so we rummaged through all of his hammer underlever guns untill we found something that would be a desent match(had to have a dolls head cutout) luckely we found one so now it is off to the gunsmith for the final handfitting. he actually had a frazer shotgun but without the dolls head and it would have been a crime to cut it just to have a dbl rifle.

so ken duglan is in the states at the moment and will be back in 2 weeks i will ask him then wich action would have been used for the atkin barrels, and then do a search for a action, i talked to the gunsmith yesterday and he told me that it really dident matter wich extension it has as long as the underlugs are close he could reshape or remake the extension to fit what ever i came along with .
so im looking at the atkin SLE again. i would love an atkin SLE dbl rifle but dont think i will be abel to afford it any other way.

finding a set of barrels in good condition is a good way to have that dbl rifle you othervice couldent afford .

peter

peter
removed

Re: ups i did it again [Re: 400NitroExpress]
      #90228 - 01/12/07 05:22 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Peter:

Yes, it would be nice to find an action to fit those barrels to. Having new double rifle barrels made is expensive as hell. The problem will be finding an action to fit them to.

I had seen those barrels in the catalogue. They're from a double rifle that was only retailed by Atkin, built for them by someone else. It was almost certainly a boxlock. Note the Birmingham proof marks. Also note the non-matching trade maker's number on the key rib between the barrels. Atkin's number 3065, trade maker's number 87,933. Also note the doll's head extension. There is very little chance that these barrels will fit an Atkin sidelock shotgun, especially if it is a best, which will have no doll's head extension.

It would be a good idea to find out who the trade maker was. Looking at them, I can't tell. The Atkin number is from 1931 according to published SN tables. However, the proof marks are 1904 rule (no case length mark) which were superseded by new rules in 1925, which added the case length mark (it would say 3" on the flats). The table could be wrong, but the gun may also have laid around for a while. It would be a good idea to contact Ken Duglan at Atkin Grant & Lang to see what Atkin's records say. The records that survive of many of the London firms (day books) generally don't indicate the source of a bought in gun, or even that it was bought in. The availability of that information depends on what records survive.

Still, they're probably worth what you paid for them.

I talked to ken douglan today good news and bad news, the gun was made in 1931 and will proberly fit a boxlock 12. the bad news is that it was made at henry atkin from the ground up, no retailers. the other number is a in factory part no.

so i cant just modify the barrels to fit an action other that an atkin(to me that would be unholy)
but have to find a birmingham action that i can fit to the barrels(in case the action turns up)

oh well all in a days work.

peter

peter
removed

#98829 - 10/03/08 12:24 AM

just a quick update on the henry atkin barrels.

i was told by a very nice man in the trade, that most of the boxlocks from birmingham were anson & deely patent actions and although they differ it is not enough for it to matter to a good gunsmith.

with that in mind, i went to the december auction at holts. and found two actions that could match the barrels.

first action is a henry atkin:

HENRY ATKIN 12-BORE BOXLOCK NON-EJECTOR, serial no. 477, 28in. nitro replacement barrels by Elderkin & Son, 2 1/2in. chambers, bored approx. 1/4 and 3/4 choke, treble-grip action with carved leaf fences, intercepting sears, border engraving, 14 1/2in. figured stock
this is the prime candidate, and i hope that all will work out with this one. firing pin distance is spot on with this one.

second action is a weird purdy(i did'nt know they made boxlocks this early)

J. PURDEY & SONS 12-BORE 'TRADEMARK QUALITY D' BOXLOCK NON-EJECTOR, serial no. 12957, 30in. black powder only (damascus?) barrels, rib engraved 'J. PURDEY & SONS. AUDLEY HOUSE. SOUTH AUDLEY ST. LONDON.', 2 1/2in. chambers, bored approx. true cyl and 1/4 choke, Anson and Deeley patent treble-grip action, manual safety with gold-inlaid 'SAFE' detail, intercepting sears, border and scroll engraving, brushed bright and reblued finish overall, 14 1/2in. figured replacement stock including 3/4in. rubber recoil pad replacement fore-end wood, weight 7lb. 3oz., in a brass-cornered oak and leather case. The makers have kindly confirmed that the gun was completed in 1888 for a Mr Mackintosh
this is a nice one as well, the firing pin distance is good with this one to.

so im waiting for the danish police to getting the last paper work done, so i can get my beautys home to play with.

best regards

peter

Anonymous
Unregistered

#98868 - 10/03/08 05:20 AM

A 12 bore action may be a bit large for those barrels.

peter
removed

Re: ups i did it again [Re: ]
      #98882 - 10/03/08 07:09 AM

Quote:

A 12 bore action may be a bit large for those barrels.

that was my idea as well, but the fireing pin distance matches the barrels center, so it is hard to do anything else. and i found a lot of the dbl rifles in the lower ends are made on 12 gauge size actions.

i found on the few that i had the pleasure to measure, if firing pin size fits, then outside barrel diameter roughly fits as well.

actually thats why i like holts, a lot of different guns to compare and measure. im not sure if the barrels will fit into any of these actions. but i was told that this would be my best bet, if any.

im really interrested to see if this a&d idea has something to it.

funny thing though, the purdy has small pins, and the henry atkin has bushed small pins.

best regards

peter

peter
removed

Re: 450/400 3" henry atkin [Re: peter]
      #101804 - 06/04/08 08:35 PM

so the atkin is safe at home with me: and it can work, but the rifle barrels(the underlugs) would need a lot of work. the good part is that the breech end and the face are a perfect match. so still in the race. but if the purdys underlugs are a closer fit then it will become the purdy.

sadly holts had a brain fart, when my friend came to pick up my toys, they forgot to give him my purdy. it is still in england but i will attend a sale this month so i will bring it home then.

best regards

peter

Edited by peter (06/04/08 08:36 PM)

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 104 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3566

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com