Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: A double rifle affordable for everyone?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
A double rifle affordable for everyone?
      #8544 - 09/02/04 10:44 AM

Is a double rifle affordable for everyone?

Should every hunter/shooter have a double rifle in their safe?

I think with some of the very cheap new double rifles coming out now, one is possible for every shooter. But is this a good idea? Will some of these cheapies be a positive experience or a negative one, or will we see a resurgence of double rifle mania never seen before?

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
nopride2
.300 member

Reged: 03/01/04
Loc: Seattle, Wa.
Re: A double rifle affordable for everyone? [Re: NitroX]
      #8547 - 09/02/04 11:28 AM

Even if a double rifle were affordable enough for everyone, it would not be for everyone. Most riflemen are happy with their bolt, lever, pump, or auto, and have no interest in a double. Now you might be able to hook quite a few single shot guys into a double. Their almost as crazy as we are.

Dave

475Guy
.400 member

Reged: 22/08/03
Loc: Kali, US
      #8551 - 09/02/04 12:38 PM

Nitro, I've found Merkels in the used market for under $7000 a while back. These were only fired a few times by their owners before they found they couldn't handle a 470. Quite a few double buyers don't shoot much anyways, they just buy just to have one.

--------------------
Lo do they call to me,
They bid me take my place among
them in the Halls of Valhalla,
Where the brave may live forever.

atkinson6
.375 member

Reged: 26/01/04
Loc: Idaho
Re: A double rifle affordable for everyone? [Re: 475Guy]
      #8591 - 10/02/04 06:21 AM

The gunlist is full of Merkles for $6000. Must be a reason for that...

mikeh416Rigby
.450 member

Reged: 24/02/03
Loc: The beautiful Oley Valley, PA....
Re: A double rifle affordable for everyone? [Re: atkinson6]
      #8597 - 10/02/04 07:13 AM

Ray, first of all, I hope you're feeling better.

What is your opinion of the Merkel's?

atkinson6
.375 member

Reged: 26/01/04
Loc: Idaho
Re: A double rifle affordable for everyone? [Re: mikeh416Rigby]
      #8651 - 11/02/04 02:44 AM

Mike,
My honest opinnion is Merkles are an inferior double rifle, the engraving looks like Mrs. Piggy did it with a double bitted axe, the inside is rough as a cob, and the parts are not well polished out.. they took a lot of short cuts, probably to keep costs down...These areas were pointed out to me by some of the better double rifle smiths. This is only MY opinnion.

mikeh416Rigby
.450 member

#8656 - 11/02/04 03:05 AM

Ray, I certaintly appreciate the information. I value any information from you quite highly. After all, you've been around the block a few times, while I'm still going out the front door. Thanks again.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#8768 - 11/02/04 05:06 PM

In reply to:

The gunlist is full of Merkles for $6000. Must be a reason for that...

Maybe they sell more than any other maker ?

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#8769 - 11/02/04 05:15 PM

When I raised this thread I wasn't thinking of $6000 rifles. Obviously not "everyone" can afford that sort of expenditure on a single firearm.

I was thinking more along the lines of the following. The EAA or Baikal doubles which should be purchasable for about US$600 to US$800 and in Australia around A$1200.

Side by side

Under and over

Obviously not for everyone as they do look a bit rough and not that pretty. They are also mainly in smaller and medium calibres. Calibres include: .270, .308, .30-06 and .45/70.

BUT if they are functional and work well enough for the purpose don't they mean that now any hunter could afford to have a double rifle.

What made me think this, was I was speaking to a hunter not long ago and he immediately bought one of these doubles. He always wanted a double and could afford one of these.

Or would these cheapies be a disaster and actually a negative to the double rifle shooting world?

--------------------
John aka NitroX

luv2safari
.400 member

Reged: 09/11/03
Loc: United States
Re: A double rifle affordable for everyone? *DELETED* [Re: NitroX]
      #8771 - 11/02/04 05:21 PM

Post deleted by luv2safari

--------------------
Hunt with Class and Classics

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: A double rifle affordable for everyone? [Re: luv2safari]
      #8773 - 11/02/04 05:28 PM

Remington 870 is a pump action isn't it?

--------------------
John aka NitroX

luv2safari
.400 member

#8775 - 11/02/04 05:48 PM

Yes...the old 870's were the standard of the industry here for many years. Remington is now trying to have a presence in the Mossberg segment of the market, and put out a cheaper 870. They are blowing it in a big way, however. The cheaper 870 Express is giving them a black eye and hemorrhoids at the same time. They are gaining a bad reputation for the Remington line, and have many warranty repairs to cope with.

These things are happening all through the firearms makers right now. I am old enough to remember the outrage over the post 1963 Winchester company re-alignment...from the very best US production firearms, to some of the worst. I remember David O'Mannery pimping the "new Mdl 70" as the best rifle for Africa. We all know that they were terrible! It took them until 1980 to make a decent push feed rifle, but by then, it was too late for them to gain their following back.

I fear the same thing has happened to Merkel...

I shot an EEA 12/30-06 about 6 months ago...not too bad for the price of $429.00. I worry about durability, however, and the triggers were awful...ratchets...Still, not bad for the bucks by today's prices.

--------------------

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#8779 - 11/02/04 11:44 PM

So the Remington 870 comments really have nothing to do with double rifles or this thread at all.

Any first hand experience with the Merkel to back up these comments?

--------------------
John aka NitroX

mikeh416Rigby
.450 member

#8783 - 12/02/04 12:00 AM

It sounds as though you like the Merkels. Since I'll consider all makes, what features do they have that you like?

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: A double rifle affordable for everyone? [Re: mikeh416Rigby]
      #8790 - 12/02/04 12:54 AM

Mike

If I was looking for a new factory double I would look at all of them that is in my price range and that are available in Australia.

Krieghioff, Heym, Merkel, Chapuis.

And see which I liked and which I didn't. I liked the Merkel when I handled one before buying my Jeffrey double. I also handled one in Zimbabwe an dit was fine, the stock didn't come to the right point for me and the rear site was not right. I like a shallow V not a notch back site. I understand a shallow V can be ordered. Cutting the buttstock or extending it would have made it point better.

In the USA you have more choices.

BUT I would go for a good English double if I could find one at the right price first.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

mickey
.416 member

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: Pend Oreille Valley, Idaho
      #8794 - 12/02/04 02:26 AM

Nito

What is the procedure and tax liability if you buy a used rifle from a visiting Sportsman? Do you still pay the high tax and such?

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: A double rifle affordable for everyone? [Re: mickey]
      #8795 - 12/02/04 02:45 AM

Still up as I am answering correspondence and working on some photos.

To buy a firearm first you need approval from the state police firearms branch. There is usually not a problem for this. In SA the sale/transfer needs to be done either by a registered firearms dealer or witnessed by a police officer. Some club officials I believe can also do this.

There is a waiting period of I think 21 or 28 days before the approval is given.

Tax liability. If imported correctly a firearm will attract a 10% GST (Goods and Services Tax) on the sales value of the firearm and freight and insurance, costs incurred in importation etc.

It may also be required to be inspected and tested by customs. I am not aware of these procedures but soon may be.

If you import on a temporary basis a firearm as a tourist, I am sure they will want to see it when you leave or see the appropriate documentation.

We can discuss this together directly if you wish as to fine tuning some of this.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

DUGABOY1
.400 member

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: TEXAS USA
      #8811 - 12/02/04 07:43 AM

Well considering the above comments, about the Merkel, I think I will be in for some flame, for my opinion of them! In any event, of those negative comments above, my take is a full 90% of them are by folks who have never owned a Merkel in their lives! and the other 10% have never even seen one in the flesh, and damn few here, or anywhere, has fired, a new one, and some, not new, or old!

With that said, I will say, I have owned many Merkel products, over the years, both shotguns, and rifles, and I will say, emphatically, I have never had a bad one! I own a small S/S double rifle that is only a couple years old, and it is a fine little rifle for the $4710 price. It is chambered for 9.3X74R, and before you say, "well that's a small caliber", the 9.3X74R developes 42,000 lbs of chamber pressure, far more than a 470NE, and I have fired about 200 rnds through it with no problem at all. Where there may be some justification for caution, is with the ones chambered for 375 H&H Belted Mag, or 416 Rigby, because they develope upwards of 60,000 lbs of chamber pressure. That, however, is not unique to Merkel, almost all the makers chamber these cartridges as well, and it is no better idea for them than it is foe Merkel.

My new rifle shoots very well, and the auto selective ejectors work flawlessly, it handles like a fine little 410 shotgun, and ballances perfectly. It is fitted with cocking indicators, and the barrels, are fitted to the action as nicely as any of my Westley Richards doubles. The only place I see any shotcuts, is in engraveing, it is rolled on, or stamped, and final polishing of the steel. But the basic engraveing is not all that bad, it is only the so-called first up grade at the tune of $1000 that is what Ray refers to! It is, as he says, cartoon like, and certainly not worth $1000 usd! I have an old, about 1920, S/S, and the only difference I can find is in the final engraveing, and Polishing of the steel. On a working rifle, such clownish features are not a necessity, or even desired, by me!

As I have said, in posts before, I can find no verifiable instance of anyone who has bought one of the NEW Merkels, and has had them go off face, and I doubt there is anyone here who can point me to a particular person who has experienced this. I know several who sold them becasue they couldn't take the recoil, because they did not install recoil pads, and some that used them for one hunt, then sold them to recoup some of the cost of their safari, but not one because the rifle was inferior in any way!

Time will tell the tale, but for now, I'm from Missouri, "SHOW ME!" don't tell me what you have heard!I will say, like all firearms that were closed behind the iron curtain, quality suffered, durring that period, in the case of Merkel, because of worn out machinery, not skill. Most of the ones from this period only came into this country by GIs buying them used in Germany. They were never imported into the USA. The new ones are again made on new machinery, and the cost is down because of the ecconomy of east Germany, not quality.

The stocks are left with a plastic butt plate because the stock needs to be fitted to the buyer, and the addition of a well needed recoil pad, solves that shortcoming! The stghts are typical GERMAN, and was to be expected, on an almost new rifle that sells for under $6K, one can change the sights, add the recoil pad, and have QD scope base installed, if that is something he wants, and still have a 470NE, or 500NE double, for under $10K That is sticking in the craw of some of the dealers of very expensive double rifles that will not shoot any better than this little Merkel. This, my friends, is where these horror stories are coming from, IMO!

Now to the thing that NitroX had in mind when he started this string! The little Biakal double rifle offered by RUSSIA, and imported into the USA by EAA, for $600 usd. I have not seen one first hand, and I doubt many in the USA have, because they are not available yet! I have, however examined the shotguns made by the same people, and I was not impressed at all. At first glance, the over all image is nice, till you get hold of it in your hands! They seem to me to be something you would buy for a kid to learn with, and to ride in a jeep rifle rack without haveing to worry about the finish.

As to the effect on the public, in building new interest in double rifles, I believe it will turn more off, than on! I base this on the fact that most who would consider a $600 double rifle, are not "in the know" enough, about double rifles, to make them work properly, and will be soured on doubles for life. A few will be bought by folks who do know, and may buy them for their kids to hunt deer with, haveing the benifite of thier know-how to make them shoot, or rebarrel them to small chamberings like the .22 centerfires, for something to play with!

All this is a long winded post to simply say, some things are never enough for some people,and "if you ain't got what I got, you ain't got the good stuff!"is their attitude.That doesn't make their opinions valid in all cases! The fact is, an old FORD PU will get you to the mall, as quickly as a Masarati,if you abide by the law, but folks along the way, will not pay as much attention to you in the pickup,as the "LOOK AT ME" Italian Stallion! To me, the looks given you, by the public, are not worth the difference in price. The guy driveing the Masarati, will always look down on the cowboy driveing the PU, and the same goes for those who can afford $20,000/$40,000 for a double rifle, looking down on those who must do with a $10,000 double rifle, and skrimp to afford that!

Folks, the only person you have to please is, YOURSELF, so buy what you want,and deal with it's drawbacks. Don't worry about the guy looking over your shoulder, when you shoot your Buffalo, with your new rifle! He ain't paying the bill!

--------------------
..........Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY1, and MacD37 founding member of DRSS www.doublerifleshooterssociety.com
"If I die today, I have had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"

ThomasEdwards
.300 member

Reged: 04/01/04
Loc: Newport Beach, CA
Re: A double rifle affordable for everyone? [Re: DUGABOY1]
      #8814 - 12/02/04 07:56 AM

...thanks for your views...i really like the merkel smooth bores, and think that they are a step higher than comparable krieghoff smooth bores...my premium dealer (of brit doubles, perazzis, a+s, etc.) fully agrees, and says that you really cannot get much better than a merkel in a production grade offering...

...i also understand that merkel's barrels are used by kreighoff, and that its actions are used by rigbys...

...that said, i really cannot see how the merkel double rifles can be as bad as posters have indicated in recent posts...

Dark_Helmet
.333 member

Reged: 09/01/04
Loc: Lincoln, Nebraska, USA
      #8817 - 12/02/04 09:17 AM

In reply to:

Yes...the old 870's were the standard of the industry here for many years

I TOTALLY disagree. at no time in all of history has the 870 been a better gun than the Winchester Model 12...

its funny, my father-in-law has 4 870s, 3 1100s, an Auto5 and a few .22s, the 20ga 100 gets shot once or twice a year.

my dad's model 12s (the two that aren't collector's pieces) have both seens ~100,000+ rounds through the chambers and are absolutely "better" guns in every regard (save cosmetics).

...just my $0.02

--------------------

-me

(long live the Mauser 98!)

Dark_Helmet
.333 member

Reged: 09/01/04
Loc: Lincoln, Nebraska, USA
Re: A double rifle affordable for everyone? [Re: Dark_Helmet]
      #8818 - 12/02/04 09:22 AM

btw... am I the only one who thinks the krieghoff o/u guns have the worlds worst action????

good god man, that's a mess! I'll take my SKB for 1/5th the price thank you.

--------------------

-me

(long live the Mauser 98!)

luv2safari
.400 member

#8822 - 12/02/04 09:56 AM

Since Winchester quit being Winchester in 1963, the 870 has been THE pump shotgun. The regular 870 is still a very good gun, but not as good as it once was. If you read carefully, you will notice that I was talking about their price point gun, the 870 express. The Kreighoff K-80 is a standard of the trap range, but I don't like much about their DR's.

This isn't about pump shotguns. It's about double rifles.

I know what I saw. I saw problems that in fact exist. I have owned Merkels , and now own a Merkel. I had a SXS in 9,3 that was a good rifle. I am concerned over what I think might be a bad trend, that's all. I have shot the bigger Merkels, and liked the gun in concept. I would not now buy one, however.

Many don't like the Valmets and Tikkas. I have had great experience with them and use them hard. I have heard of problems with the soft steel scope mounts and ribs from people who's opinion I completely trust. I've never had any problems, however. Maybe the reality of this argument lies somewhere in the middle...???

There is a reason why they make Fords and Chevys, and in different colors...

--------------------

DUGABOY1
.400 member

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: TEXAS USA
      #8829 - 12/02/04 11:42 AM

In reply to:

my dad's model 12s (the two that aren't collector's pieces) have both seens ~100,000+ rounds through the chambers and are absolutely "better" guns in every regard (save cosmetics).

--------------------
..........Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY1, and MacD37 founding member of DRSS www.doublerifleshooterssociety.com
"If I die today, I have had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"

Crazyquik
.275 member

Reged: 21/12/03
Re: A double rifle affordable for everyone? [Re: DUGABOY1]
      #8834 - 12/02/04 12:10 PM

That's 10 cases a year, for 40 years. A lot, but certainly not impossible, as I've shot a case in a day on more than one occasion.

RE Kreigoff shotguns - all my buddies (skeet shooters) love them, and I must admit I fancy them as well. No expirience with thier double rifles though.

I'd love to buy a Baikel SxS double rifle if they'd ever ship one here!! As they keep putting it off, I think I've made arrangements for an alternative.

If/when it gets here, we'll have the ~500-600 dollar gun, the Pedersoli Kodiak (how much are those, 1500-2000?) and then the "proper" European guns at the 6k+ price mark.

luv2safari
.400 member

#8869 - 12/02/04 04:35 PM

100,000...who did the counting...for each one...?

--------------------

cr500
.300 member

Reged: 11/10/03
Loc: Singleton ,Australia
      #9271 - 17/02/04 07:55 PM

Are there any websites for EAA or Baikal doubles? I wouldnt mind getting one as long as they are traditional looking side by sides ,until I can afford a good one.

deant
.224 member

Reged: 13/02/04
Re: A double rifle affordable for everyone? [Re: cr500]
      #9278 - 17/02/04 09:59 PM

first let me say i didnt buy it for DG hunting. But i picked up a kodiak double in 45/70. I really like it! Its been too cold to give her a real workout. But with "trapdoor' loads its sweet to shoot. My wife who hates recoil shot it quite well. Off hand at about 40 yards she hit a soda can first with one barrel the the other. I cant wait to put some real loads in it.
The finish on it is very nice. some would not like the brown barrels but i like the looks of them. If you just wanted a double to shoot and hunt anything less than DG I thinks its a great choice.
Dean

ChuckWagon
.275 member

Reged: 09/02/04
Loc: USA
Re: A double rifle affordable for everyone? [Re: deant]
      #9284 - 17/02/04 11:57 PM

I can not imagine this Russian double for $6-800 is going to be anything but a POS. I have heard that the barrels are not actually regulated. You have to do it with a set screw Well, actually I guess they would be ok if you just wanted to shoot holes in the barn. Then you would not be able to miss. I had a Merkel once. I did not like the way it handled and it was so butt fugly that after six months I was wondering what I was thinking when I bought it.

--------------------
Life is more like a jar of Jalapeno's than a box of chocolates. What you do today might burn your butt tomorrow !

NE450No2
.375 member

Reged: 10/01/03
      #9292 - 18/02/04 04:08 AM

deant
My brother had one of those for a while. It was very accurate with every load we shot in it. It should make you an excellent hunting rifle.
The Cor-Bon 350gr factory single shot pistol loads chronographed 1971fps.
My reloads with the Remington 405 gr SP with 53gr. of IMR 3031 did 1840fps.
Garretts old 415gr loads did 1734fps.
300gr factory loads,
Winchester 1864fps
Federal 1831fps
Remington 1887fps
Remington 405 factory loads 1293fps.

Hope this info helps.

deant
.224 member

Re: A double rifle affordable for everyone? [Re: NE450No2]
      #9294 - 18/02/04 04:39 AM

ne450#2
thanks for the info. If it shoots hotter loads like it is the 405s I will be very happy.
Dean

luv2safari
.400 member

#9295 - 18/02/04 04:53 AM

450No2,

I've been considering buying one. How did the 405 reloads at 1840 look, pressure wise? Is there area to push it a bit harder?

How strong does the Kodiak appear? Do you think it would take the 400 gr 1950-2000 fps loadings without things going haywire?

I am NOT asking whether it would make a dangerous game gun...just want to figure out its potential in the Kodiak.

Has anyone shot the Kodiak in 9,3x74r??

--------------------

NE450No2
.375 member

#9323 - 18/02/04 07:45 AM

luv2safari
My brother contacted Pederolosi [sp?] and they sent him a lot of info. They stated that the Kodiak would take any load that was safe in the Marlin Lever.
The 53gr of 3031 is an Elmer Keith load that I was using in my Marlin. In my No1 I used more powder but seated the bullet out farther. [My No1 is an older rifle and has a longer throat than newer rifles.] You cannot get much more 3031 in to the case with that bullet at "normal" seating depths. If a 400gr bullet at 1840 is not enough an extra 100 fps does not make much difference IMHO.
The best way to increase the "killing" power is to use the proper bullet. For BIG big game i.e. bears, elk etc I would start with the 350gr Hornady, the 400gr Swift A Frame, or the 350/400 North Fork, or heavy cast bullets, Buffalo Bore, Garrett etc. I like expansion and penetration, but I must have enough penetration.
For deer the 300gr bullets at @ 1850 work very well, but my favorite all round bullet for deer and pigs is the 350 Hornady at 1800 to 1900fps.

luv2safari
.400 member

#9324 - 18/02/04 07:53 AM

H4895 seems to show promise with the 400 gr bullets. Have you tried it? It seems to be good to almost 2000 fps, and might just work to 1950fps or so real well. I don't like "blue pills" going off too close to my face, such as it is...
I like to use Tripple 7 in my trapdoor...man, I love the smoke...!

--------------------

ChuckWagon
.275 member

#9329 - 18/02/04 08:41 AM

I saw one of those Kodiak Rifles not to long ago used for around 2k. I love the external hammers. I am not much of a 45-70 fan but it looked like fun

--------------------
Life is more like a jar of Jalapeno's than a box of chocolates. What you do today might burn your butt tomorrow !

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: A double rifle affordable for everyone? [Re: ChuckWagon]
      #9347 - 18/02/04 11:01 AM

A few people, myself included, tried to get Pedersoli to chamber some new cartridges in the Kodiak eg the .450 No2 NE but no luck.

Now that would be an affordable nice NE double, and quite traditional with the external hammers.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

ChuckWagon
.275 member

#9352 - 18/02/04 11:12 AM

I at least have to give the Kodiak good marks for looks. This russian gun gives me the willies just thinking about it coming unglued.

--------------------

475Guy
.400 member

#9372 - 18/02/04 12:42 PM

Just imagine this. A whole bunch guys go to the Big A with Kodiaks with Garrett loads and start whacking stuff, can you imagine the crowing they would be doing?

--------------------
Lo do they call to me,

JBoutfishn
.224 member

Reged: 13/09/03
Loc: Redding Ca.
      #9387 - 18/02/04 02:49 PM

Dugaboy1:

Would you care to elaborate on the Merkel 9.3x74? I have been looking at them for a while, and think it would make a fine addition to the gun safe next to the Kreighoff 470.

I saw 2 in Reno that could have been had for $3900. Need? no, want? oh yea......

--------------------
Jim

NE450No2
.375 member

Re: A double rifle affordable for everyone? [Re: JBoutfishn]
      #9398 - 18/02/04 05:42 PM

JBoutfishing
Curiosity question. If you already have a Krieghoff double in 470 why don't you want one in 9,3x74R?

JBoutfishn
.224 member

Reged: 13/09/03
Loc: Redding Ca.
      #9447 - 19/02/04 02:55 AM

Been asked that question before. While I love the Krieghoff with its cocking system in a DGR, I want another double in a light caliber. I know I can get another barrel set for the Kriegoff, but I want something different.

I like the coin finish, the cross bolt system, and it fits quite well. Cost is always an issue

All of my bolt guns are not M70's.

--------------------
Jim

NE450No2
.375 member

Re: A double rifle affordable for everyone? [Re: JBoutfishn]
      #9448 - 19/02/04 03:48 AM

JBoutfishing
Take a look at the Chapuis 9,3. I have had one for about 5 years. It weighs 7 1/4 lbs. The rib is pre cut for a scope mount. I have shot mine over a thousand times and it is still tight. The pivot scope mount goes back to zero.
I have yet to try a factory load that does not regulate good enough to hunt with out to 100 yards. I have had no problems working up reloads that regulate with several different bullets. They are available in different "grades" from about $5 thousand to 20 thousand. Mine is the lowest grade the UGEX with case colored reciever.

Mbogojoe
.224 member

Reged: 14/02/04
      #9484 - 19/02/04 10:59 AM

it would be great if Merkel, Chapuis, or Krighoff offered theirs in a 450 NE.I would buy anyone of them if they did.

mickey
.416 member

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: Pend Oreille Valley, Idaho
Re: A double rifle affordable for everyone? [Re: Mbogojoe]
      #9491 - 19/02/04 12:20 PM

They are offered in DG calibers. I just saw a Krieghoff in 450#2 last weekend. It was a 458 rechambered. Because of the length of shells and the wide opening required of an O/U they are not thought of a being very practical for reloading under adverse conditions. You would also have tohave an ejector for the same reason regarding getting the bottom shell out with out it hitting the face of the action.

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

ChuckWagon
.275 member

#9766 - 22/02/04 12:32 AM

Nitrox, What did you think of the quality of the Pedersoli Kodiak ? I see that the mark IV is now available in 9.3x74 and has a optional second set of 20 guage barrels. That would seem a rather nice travel set up for around 4k.

--------------------

deant
.224 member

#9782 - 22/02/04 05:30 AM

Chuckwagon
I think the quality of the Kodiak is very nice. Mine has nice wood. the color case looks very nice. Metal to wood fit is also nice. Id bet some dont like the brown barrels but i think it goes nice with the gun. I dont know how old mine is but its not been shot much as all is still tight!
I am sure it isnt the same as $8000 + guns but IMHO its a nice gun. Most of all I like the fact it shoots real good.
Dean

ChuckWagon
.275 member

#9802 - 22/02/04 09:09 AM

It is a intersting gun. I would certainly like to take a few pokes with one. For the money it is a interesting propostion but mostly I am drawn to the Case clors and external hammers. I simply find that to be the look of a proper double gun. I have heard nothing but good things on the quality of Pedersoli firearms. Are the barrels regulated in a fixed position or is their a set screw ?

--------------------

deant
.224 member

#9813 - 22/02/04 11:10 AM

They have no screw they are fixed, They are quite heavy so using light loads is very pleasent shooting.
Dean

luv2safari
.400 member

#9822 - 22/02/04 02:11 PM

Who in the US is handling them now? Cabelas used to show them in their catalogs, but I didn't notice any in my recent catalog.

--------------------

475Guy
.400 member

#9824 - 22/02/04 02:55 PM

Did I miss something? I don't see any mention of price on the Pedersoli. It would seem to be a fun gun to have around. BTW, L2S, your previous mention of wanting to go past 1900 with a 400 gr bullet is practically impossible unless you had a No.1. You might get it past that speed only with cast bullets and jacketed bullets at that weight will increase pressures to dangerous levels. Lower coefficient of friction, oh don't cha know.

--------------------
Lo do they call to me,

luv2safari
.400 member

#9827 - 22/02/04 03:45 PM

The Kodiaks were about $2,500.00 the last I saw.

I was looking in the Speer #12 reloading manual at loads for modern bolt action and single shots for data on the 45-70 with 400 gr bullets. They have one max load @ 2018 fps and the next @ 1997.

These seem to be pushing the old boy to the limit, but are in fact in Speer's book.

My only experience with the 45-70 is with my old trap door, and I use Triple 7 for it.

I had a cape gun in 20 & 45-70 made from a sleeved Fox shotgun once, but it wouldn't hit an outhouse wall if locked inside. Some other proud sucker owns it now.

I was wondering whether anyone had pushed the 45-70 in a strong action rifle to these speeds with a 400 gr. They also list 350 gr loads to 2132!!

--------------------

475Guy
.400 member

#9836 - 22/02/04 10:37 PM

With the 350 gr bullet, that's doable. I think I tried that one load on the 400 gr bullet and couldn't get enough powder in the case without having a crush fit when seating the bullet to the first crimp groove for proper COL for my Marlin. With a No.1, the Speer 400 gr is seated out to the second crimp groove. I just used whatever loads I had that worked.

--------------------
Lo do they call to me,

luv2safari
.400 member

#9848 - 23/02/04 02:00 AM

These loads were listed for a bolt or SS gun. They seem a bit optomistic to me.

--------------------

475Guy
.400 member

#9857 - 23/02/04 03:37 AM

I've known a few guys that had boltguns and SS's in 45-70 that would get the advertised velocities and then some. They were red-lining their guns to do so while I was only coasting along with my 375 and 458 at the time. The secret is and was, with these guns, to seat them out further than normal COL to increase powder capacity. While I was getting sub-moa groups, these guys were into the 2"-4" category with their very hot loads.

--------------------
Lo do they call to me,

ChuckWagon
.275 member

#9880 - 23/02/04 07:46 AM

I do not understand why people insist on doing that with the 45-70 or any other caliber for that matter. It just does no make sense IMO. Why try to make it something it is not. With all the 45-70 rubbish lately on AR some might think I am anti 45-70. Nothing could be further from the truth. In fact I own more lever guns thanm any thing else. It's also possible to get 44 mag performance out of a 44-40. I never understood that one either. When I wanted a 44 magnum I just bought one.

--------------------

475Guy
.400 member

#9884 - 23/02/04 08:25 AM

Tell you what, I offered to let these guys shoot any of my No.1's and to a man they all said no. They said it would kick too much. SAY WHAT!! Those redlined 45-70 loads were beating the shit out of these knuckleheads. They were just trying to do a one-up on me and weren't succeeding very well. All I could do was just laugh my ass off.

--------------------
Lo do they call to me,

Mikael
.224 member

Reged: 24/02/04
Loc: Sweden
      #9940 - 24/02/04 03:03 AM

Hi

Why don't you look at some of the italian doubles they range from $2000 and up if your happy with 9,3 that is I'm not sure any of the factorys make bigger.

I own a Anotoio Zoli and it works perfect and I use it alot in difficult condition's hunting boar with dog's and it never fails me.

Mikael

Pedestal
.224 member

Reged: 14/01/04
Loc: Trinity, TX
      #10054 - 25/02/04 09:43 AM

I have pushed the 350gr Hornady to between 2000/2100fps in my .45-70 bolt gun. I don't do it anymore; case life is short, recoil is unpleasant, and it ain't no .458winny!

sharps54
.224 member

Reged: 15/05/03
      #10661 - 02/03/04 08:12 PM

My Pedersoli is an older one brought in by Trail Guns Armory and has two flip up adjustable rear sights. Some pics of an identical rifle are at
http://octobercountry.com/cgibin/store/agora.cgi?cart_id=4892272.17546*Sp7xm&product=Rifles
My rifle is wonderful to shoot, no recoil. I just picked it up last week and have only fired about 20 rounds out of it. It seems to be regulated for 15 yds! The barrels have crossed over by 20 yds and at 50 yds (the furthest I have fired so far) the horizonal spread is 2 inches with the right barrel impacting to the left of the left barrel. This is my first double rifle so I don't know if this is common (the barrels actually shooting the same place very close)or not. I have only shot factory 300 gr and will try additional loads in the coming weeks. I did talk to a few gunsmiths that have rechambered these rifles to 450 NE 3 1/4 inch and 450 NE #2 in the past, niether would reregulate the rifle if new round was not accurate due to the way Pedersoli silver solders thier barrels. I am going to keep mine in .45-70, it should be fine for North American game out to 100 yds, and will use my .416 Remington if I go to Africa.
Jason

skl1
.224 member

Reged: 18/01/04
Re: A double rifle affordable for everyone? [Re: sharps54]
      #10815 - 04/03/04 12:40 AM

Jason,

Try heavier bullets, like the 405grainers, and the reduced velocity should move the crossover point out further.

I've written to Pedersoli tech spt on mine, asking for the load used for regulation. I've also been considering leaving my neat .45-70 alone and using it for deer and pigs.

Steve

sharps54
.224 member

Re: A double rifle affordable for everyone? [Re: skl1]
      #10871 - 04/03/04 04:20 PM

Steve,
Thanks, I have some 400 gr Barnes X bullets I will try until I get some 405s. I hope to be able to reload some tomorrow so I may be able to post results in a few days.
Jason

4seventy
Sponsor

Reged: 07/05/03
Loc: Queensland Australia
      #10921 - 05/03/04 10:17 AM

In reply to:

I did talk to a few gunsmiths that have rechambered these rifles to 450 NE 3 1/4 inch and 450 NE #2 in the past, niether would reregulate the rifle if new round was not accurate due to the way Pedersoli silver solders thier barrels

Hi sharpes and welcome.
I've never handled or examined a Pedersoli but I have re-regulated doubles that have silver soldered barrels.
It can be done on some rifles, but I would need to get a look at a Pedersoli and see how the barrels are put together to know if I could do it.

sharps54
.224 member

Re: A double rifle affordable for everyone? [Re: 4seventy]
      #11035 - 06/03/04 02:05 PM

4seventy,
I haven't had the chance to examine any other double rifles so I can't comment on contruction. I have dug up some heavier bullets and will try them, at least I will have fun trying different loads!
Jason

4seventy
Sponsor

Reged: 07/05/03
Loc: Queensland Australia
      #11062 - 06/03/04 10:23 PM

In reply to:

I have dug up some heavier bullets and will try them, at least I will have fun trying different loads!

True enough!

Just curious about the two flip up sights.
Someone once told me that the early Pedersolis were not regulated too well and that they had a seperate rearsight for each barrel.
Is that true, or just a fairytale?

deant
.224 member

#11104 - 07/03/04 12:32 PM

The black powder muzzleloading version has a sight on each barrel and is not regulated.
The 45/70 that i have seems to shoot great waiting for the snow to leave to really work it out. It only has one sight. The bit Ive shot it I can hit a can off hand at about 40yards first with one barrel then the other.
Dean

luv2safari
.400 member

Re: A double rifle affordable for everyone? [Re: Mikael]
      #11107 - 07/03/04 01:23 PM

Mikael,

Back when I was buying, trading, and selling guns to keep fish heads and rice on the table I owned an Antonio Zoli o/u smooth tube for a while, and thought it to be a fantastic gun for the money. It was trim and pointed well. The finish work was excellent.

--------------------

Edited by luv2safari (08/03/04 04:39 AM)

sharps54
.224 member

#11116 - 07/03/04 04:44 PM

Mine (an older Trail Guns Armory model) has two flip up sights, they are adjustable, much like a the one on a winchester lever gun, two screws that you loosen to adjust them. They are so you can zero at two different distances. I have to admit I am new to the double rifle thing and feel pretty stupid. I had a chance to fire the rifle a little today at 30 yds and this time I held the barrels in my hand with my hand on the offhand rest (modified camera tripod) instead of the stock on the rest. Well now the two barrels touch at 30 yds! I guess my biggest problem was operator headspace and timing! I will post the results next week when I try some handloads out to at least 100 yds
Jason

4seventy wrote
Just curious about the two flip up sights.
Someone once told me that the early Pedersolis were not regulated too well and that they had a seperate rearsight for each barrel.
Is that true, or just a fairytale?

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#328500 - 18/05/19 03:34 PM

Old post resurrected.

We also have a couple of new brands or makers. One in particular went through some quality making issues, but many report favourably on their new rifles now.

What do you think? A double rifle affordable and available for any or all shooters? Good idea or bad idea? Worthwhile or not?

--------------------
John aka NitroX

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #328502 - 18/05/19 04:02 PM

The Pedersoli's still have 2 sights - supposed to sight each one for a separate barrel. Lift up the appropriate sight.
Here is my .58 Kodiak.

I was able to work up a load that got the barrels shooting together using round balls and 2F GOEX powder.
I don't have a target, but 110gr. of 2F actually made the barrels shoot parallel. Just luck.
Most of these guns are used with slugs of one sort or another. The result us usually measured close to or
just over a foot difference at 50yards, with both elevation and windage problems.

After I found these two loads, I was able to remove one sight. I filed out the remaining sight to a wide V and used
the gun to good advantage on our trail walk, acing the trail a couple times. I really enjoyed smacking the 100
yard plates with a fast right and left.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

DarylS
.700 member

Re: A double rifle affordable for everyone? [Re: DarylS]
      #328503 - 18/05/19 04:08 PM

I was going to remove the above post as I see you were talking about the centre fires. I decided to leave it as I'm trying to show you may need to experiment with different loads for regulation.

That noted, 110gr. shot perfectly in my .58, however an increase to 120gr. had the barrels crossing again, with the left shooting high now and right shooting low.

When starting out, 82gr. 2F had them crossing, but left shooting low and right shooting high.

--------------------
Daryl

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: A double rifle affordable for everyone? [Re: DarylS]
      #328507 - 18/05/19 08:02 PM

No need to remove the post. I asked on an earlier post a LONG time ago about Pedersolis and it was never answered.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#328509 - 18/05/19 08:14 PM

I think Sabatti popped up since this old thread.

The maker which I referred to as having massive early problems. But more recently some customers are satisfied.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

500Boswell
.400 member

Reged: 21/07/06
Loc: Queensland
      #328510 - 18/05/19 10:22 PM

Since Labor doesn't appear to have got in, people might feel like spending money again ! on Guns and other fun things [including doubles '

DarylS
.700 member

Re: A double rifle affordable for everyone? [Re: 500Boswell]
      #328513 - 19/05/19 01:37 AM

Sry John - might have been away & didn't see it. I did find that Birchwood Casey's Gun Blue Paste worked very well on the shiny light-coloured locks and hardware on the rifle. I degreased them, rubbed it on, left it a few minutes and rinsed it off, then WD40. Turned them blue/black for a long time.

--------------------
Daryl

3DogMike
.400 member

Reged: 29/01/15
Loc: Western Slope, Colorado USA
      #328538 - 20/05/19 01:27 AM

Quote:

I think Sabatti popped up since this old thread.
The maker which I referred to as having massive early problems. But more recently some customers are satisfied.

2 thoughts:
1) I have a "post Cabela's" (muzzles not ground) Sabatti double in 9.3x74; a pretty solid piece for the price and nicely regulated. Given its rather proletarian heritage it gets the rough and tumble use out hunting. My very nice Brit BPE's don't warrant the abuse.

2) I think it is a big relief for Australia that the Liberal Party sent Labor down in flames......(partly helped by or own "climate change" gasbag Al Gore)

- Mike

--------------------
"Here's to killing people you don't like with people you do"

"Will Rogers never met a fighter pilot"
- Anon

“Always carry a flask of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore always carry a small snake."
-- W. C. Fields

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: A double rifle affordable for everyone? [Re: 3DogMike]
      #328539 - 20/05/19 01:37 AM

Affordable gets more people shooting.. that is NEVER a bad idea..

Affordable for one man may not be for another.. in my area there are several gunsmiths making doubles.. one is doing it from scratch.. saw him post a pic of it on FB a few months ago.. beautiful weapon..but NOT affordable for most...

Many people, myself included have champaign taste but a beer budget... so... get what you can and enjoy it...

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

MickoC
.224 member

Reged: 19/11/09
Loc: Queensland, Australia
Re: A double rifle affordable for everyone? [Re: Ripp]
      #329019 - 31/05/19 10:13 AM

Italian doubles have a lot to offer for the price.
They are not as affordable here in Australia as they are in Europe or the US .
The Aussie Dollar only buys about 70 US cents at the moment.

ChrisB
.224 member

Reged: 23/03/18
Loc: North Central Florida, USA
      #329536 - 21/06/19 10:37 AM

I've had my sabatti doubles for a bit now. A 9.3x74r sxs and a 470ne o/u.

I must say that I love them. At about 2/3's the price of a used Merkel or 4500$ ish, I didn't know what I would get.

They both regulate with factory or handloaded to factory spec ammo ( they don't like mikd loads and favor mid hot for regulation ).

I'm super happy with them. I like the 9.3 better than my ruger #1 in 375 h&h.

500Boswell
.400 member

Reged: 21/07/06
Loc: Queensland
Re: A double rifle affordable for everyone? [Re: ChrisB]
      #329538 - 21/06/19 02:37 PM

There was an Italian 12 guage double shotgun that had rifled barrels from memory or one barrel was rifled for slugs ? probably the cheapest ''double''

carpediem4570
.300 member

Reged: 28/06/08
Loc: Alberta, Canada
      #344718 - 01/09/20 02:24 PM

I own a Merkel in 9.3x74R AND a Baikal double rifle in 45-70.

The Merkel, IMHO, is a beautiful little rifle to shoot. It functions flawlessly and with the regulation screw to adjust the barrel, I can build any load to suit my hunting or shooting needs.

Is the $900.00 Baikal as good as the Merkel? Hell No. The stock looks and feels like a club with a wrist that is way to thick. The triggers are heavy and long in the pull. The under and over ribs are made from pressed sheet steel. The sights look like they came from an ak-47 and, its stiff as hell to break open when you manually extract the shells from the chamber.

Having said that, is it a fun gun to play with? HELL YES. The barrels can be adjusted for regulation via a jack screw on the under side mid-way down the barrel. I can use all my cast lead bullets on this gun and regulate it for each weight. I get reasonable accuracy at 100 yard off my standing bench, 1.5-2 inches. I can also load it with copper jacket bullets no problem. The gun comes with a rib you can mount a scope to. Best of all, I can take this gun out in the woods and not worry about scratching it up because it is only $900.00. And having hunted and shot deer with 45-70, i would not hesitate to use this gun for deer or moose hunting.

Using the Merkel is like dancing the waltz with a ballerina. Using the Baikal is like dancing the polka with the fat bar maid at the pub. Both are very different experiences and equally enjoyable.

Kind regards,

Carpediem

--------------------
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways-Chrdonnay in one hand-Chocolate in the other-body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WHOO-HOO, WHAT A RIDE!!"

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)

Extra information
1 registered and 35 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 25572

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com