Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: A double rifle affordable for everyone?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)
475Guy
.400 member

Reged: 22/08/03
Loc: Kali, US
Re: A double rifle affordable for everyone? [Re: luv2safari]
      #9836 - 22/02/04 10:37 PM

With the 350 gr bullet, that's doable. I think I tried that one load on the 400 gr bullet and couldn't get enough powder in the case without having a crush fit when seating the bullet to the first crimp groove for proper COL for my Marlin. With a No.1, the Speer 400 gr is seated out to the second crimp groove. I just used whatever loads I had that worked.

--------------------
Lo do they call to me,
They bid me take my place among
them in the Halls of Valhalla,
Where the brave may live forever.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
luv2safari
.400 member

Reged: 09/11/03
Loc: United States
Re: A double rifle affordable for everyone? [Re: 475Guy]
      #9848 - 23/02/04 02:00 AM

These loads were listed for a bolt or SS gun. They seem a bit optomistic to me.

--------------------
Hunt with Class and Classics

475Guy
.400 member

#9857 - 23/02/04 03:37 AM

I've known a few guys that had boltguns and SS's in 45-70 that would get the advertised velocities and then some. They were red-lining their guns to do so while I was only coasting along with my 375 and 458 at the time. The secret is and was, with these guns, to seat them out further than normal COL to increase powder capacity. While I was getting sub-moa groups, these guys were into the 2"-4" category with their very hot loads.

--------------------
Lo do they call to me,

ChuckWagon
.275 member

Reged: 09/02/04
Loc: USA
Re: A double rifle affordable for everyone? [Re: 475Guy]
      #9880 - 23/02/04 07:46 AM

I do not understand why people insist on doing that with the 45-70 or any other caliber for that matter. It just does no make sense IMO. Why try to make it something it is not. With all the 45-70 rubbish lately on AR some might think I am anti 45-70. Nothing could be further from the truth. In fact I own more lever guns thanm any thing else. It's also possible to get 44 mag performance out of a 44-40. I never understood that one either. When I wanted a 44 magnum I just bought one.

--------------------
Life is more like a jar of Jalapeno's than a box of chocolates. What you do today might burn your butt tomorrow !

475Guy
.400 member

Re: A double rifle affordable for everyone? [Re: ChuckWagon]
      #9884 - 23/02/04 08:25 AM

Tell you what, I offered to let these guys shoot any of my No.1's and to a man they all said no. They said it would kick too much. SAY WHAT!! Those redlined 45-70 loads were beating the shit out of these knuckleheads. They were just trying to do a one-up on me and weren't succeeding very well. All I could do was just laugh my ass off.

--------------------
Lo do they call to me,

Mikael
.224 member

Reged: 24/02/04
Loc: Sweden
Re: A double rifle affordable for everyone? [Re: NitroX]
      #9940 - 24/02/04 03:03 AM

Hi

Why don't you look at some of the italian doubles they range from $2000 and up if your happy with 9,3 that is I'm not sure any of the factorys make bigger.

I own a Anotoio Zoli and it works perfect and I use it alot in difficult condition's hunting boar with dog's and it never fails me.

Mikael

Pedestal
.224 member

Reged: 14/01/04
Loc: Trinity, TX
      #10054 - 25/02/04 09:43 AM

I have pushed the 350gr Hornady to between 2000/2100fps in my .45-70 bolt gun. I don't do it anymore; case life is short, recoil is unpleasant, and it ain't no .458winny!

sharps54
.224 member

Reged: 15/05/03
Re: A double rifle affordable for everyone? [Re: ChuckWagon]
      #10661 - 02/03/04 08:12 PM

My Pedersoli is an older one brought in by Trail Guns Armory and has two flip up adjustable rear sights. Some pics of an identical rifle are at
http://octobercountry.com/cgibin/store/agora.cgi?cart_id=4892272.17546*Sp7xm&product=Rifles
My rifle is wonderful to shoot, no recoil. I just picked it up last week and have only fired about 20 rounds out of it. It seems to be regulated for 15 yds! The barrels have crossed over by 20 yds and at 50 yds (the furthest I have fired so far) the horizonal spread is 2 inches with the right barrel impacting to the left of the left barrel. This is my first double rifle so I don't know if this is common (the barrels actually shooting the same place very close)or not. I have only shot factory 300 gr and will try additional loads in the coming weeks. I did talk to a few gunsmiths that have rechambered these rifles to 450 NE 3 1/4 inch and 450 NE #2 in the past, niether would reregulate the rifle if new round was not accurate due to the way Pedersoli silver solders thier barrels. I am going to keep mine in .45-70, it should be fine for North American game out to 100 yds, and will use my .416 Remington if I go to Africa.
Jason

skl1
.224 member

Reged: 18/01/04
Re: A double rifle affordable for everyone? [Re: sharps54]
      #10815 - 04/03/04 12:40 AM

Jason,

Try heavier bullets, like the 405grainers, and the reduced velocity should move the crossover point out further.

I've written to Pedersoli tech spt on mine, asking for the load used for regulation. I've also been considering leaving my neat .45-70 alone and using it for deer and pigs.

Steve

sharps54
.224 member

Re: A double rifle affordable for everyone? [Re: skl1]
      #10871 - 04/03/04 04:20 PM

Steve,
Thanks, I have some 400 gr Barnes X bullets I will try until I get some 405s. I hope to be able to reload some tomorrow so I may be able to post results in a few days.
Jason

4seventy
Sponsor

Reged: 07/05/03
Loc: Queensland Australia
      #10921 - 05/03/04 10:17 AM

In reply to:

I did talk to a few gunsmiths that have rechambered these rifles to 450 NE 3 1/4 inch and 450 NE #2 in the past, niether would reregulate the rifle if new round was not accurate due to the way Pedersoli silver solders thier barrels

Hi sharpes and welcome.
I've never handled or examined a Pedersoli but I have re-regulated doubles that have silver soldered barrels.
It can be done on some rifles, but I would need to get a look at a Pedersoli and see how the barrels are put together to know if I could do it.

sharps54
.224 member

Re: A double rifle affordable for everyone? [Re: 4seventy]
      #11035 - 06/03/04 02:05 PM

4seventy,
I haven't had the chance to examine any other double rifles so I can't comment on contruction. I have dug up some heavier bullets and will try them, at least I will have fun trying different loads!
Jason

4seventy
Sponsor

Reged: 07/05/03
Loc: Queensland Australia
      #11062 - 06/03/04 10:23 PM

In reply to:

I have dug up some heavier bullets and will try them, at least I will have fun trying different loads!

True enough!

Just curious about the two flip up sights.
Someone once told me that the early Pedersolis were not regulated too well and that they had a seperate rearsight for each barrel.
Is that true, or just a fairytale?

deant
.224 member

Reged: 13/02/04
      #11104 - 07/03/04 12:32 PM

The black powder muzzleloading version has a sight on each barrel and is not regulated.
The 45/70 that i have seems to shoot great waiting for the snow to leave to really work it out. It only has one sight. The bit Ive shot it I can hit a can off hand at about 40yards first with one barrel then the other.
Dean

luv2safari
.400 member

Reged: 09/11/03
Loc: United States
Re: A double rifle affordable for everyone? [Re: Mikael]
      #11107 - 07/03/04 01:23 PM

Mikael,

Back when I was buying, trading, and selling guns to keep fish heads and rice on the table I owned an Antonio Zoli o/u smooth tube for a while, and thought it to be a fantastic gun for the money. It was trim and pointed well. The finish work was excellent.

--------------------
Hunt with Class and Classics

Edited by luv2safari (08/03/04 04:39 AM)

sharps54
.224 member

#11116 - 07/03/04 04:44 PM

Mine (an older Trail Guns Armory model) has two flip up sights, they are adjustable, much like a the one on a winchester lever gun, two screws that you loosen to adjust them. They are so you can zero at two different distances. I have to admit I am new to the double rifle thing and feel pretty stupid. I had a chance to fire the rifle a little today at 30 yds and this time I held the barrels in my hand with my hand on the offhand rest (modified camera tripod) instead of the stock on the rest. Well now the two barrels touch at 30 yds! I guess my biggest problem was operator headspace and timing! I will post the results next week when I try some handloads out to at least 100 yds
Jason

4seventy wrote
Just curious about the two flip up sights.
Someone once told me that the early Pedersolis were not regulated too well and that they had a seperate rearsight for each barrel.
Is that true, or just a fairytale?

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #328500 - 18/05/19 03:34 PM

Old post resurrected.

We also have a couple of new brands or makers. One in particular went through some quality making issues, but many report favourably on their new rifles now.

What do you think? A double rifle affordable and available for any or all shooters? Good idea or bad idea? Worthwhile or not?

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #328502 - 18/05/19 04:02 PM

The Pedersoli's still have 2 sights - supposed to sight each one for a separate barrel. Lift up the appropriate sight.
Here is my .58 Kodiak.

I was able to work up a load that got the barrels shooting together using round balls and 2F GOEX powder.
I don't have a target, but 110gr. of 2F actually made the barrels shoot parallel. Just luck.
Most of these guns are used with slugs of one sort or another. The result us usually measured close to or
just over a foot difference at 50yards, with both elevation and windage problems.

After I found these two loads, I was able to remove one sight. I filed out the remaining sight to a wide V and used
the gun to good advantage on our trail walk, acing the trail a couple times. I really enjoyed smacking the 100
yard plates with a fast right and left.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

DarylS
.700 member

Re: A double rifle affordable for everyone? [Re: DarylS]
      #328503 - 18/05/19 04:08 PM

I was going to remove the above post as I see you were talking about the centre fires. I decided to leave it as I'm trying to show you may need to experiment with different loads for regulation.

That noted, 110gr. shot perfectly in my .58, however an increase to 120gr. had the barrels crossing again, with the left shooting high now and right shooting low.

When starting out, 82gr. 2F had them crossing, but left shooting low and right shooting high.

--------------------
Daryl

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: A double rifle affordable for everyone? [Re: DarylS]
      #328507 - 18/05/19 08:02 PM

No need to remove the post. I asked on an earlier post a LONG time ago about Pedersolis and it was never answered.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#328509 - 18/05/19 08:14 PM

I think Sabatti popped up since this old thread.

The maker which I referred to as having massive early problems. But more recently some customers are satisfied.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

500Boswell
.400 member

Reged: 21/07/06
Loc: Queensland
      #328510 - 18/05/19 10:22 PM

Since Labor doesn't appear to have got in, people might feel like spending money again ! on Guns and other fun things [including doubles '

DarylS
.700 member

Re: A double rifle affordable for everyone? [Re: 500Boswell]
      #328513 - 19/05/19 01:37 AM

Sry John - might have been away & didn't see it. I did find that Birchwood Casey's Gun Blue Paste worked very well on the shiny light-coloured locks and hardware on the rifle. I degreased them, rubbed it on, left it a few minutes and rinsed it off, then WD40. Turned them blue/black for a long time.

--------------------
Daryl

3DogMike
.400 member

Reged: 29/01/15
Loc: Western Slope, Colorado USA
      #328538 - 20/05/19 01:27 AM

Quote:

I think Sabatti popped up since this old thread.
The maker which I referred to as having massive early problems. But more recently some customers are satisfied.

2 thoughts:
1) I have a "post Cabela's" (muzzles not ground) Sabatti double in 9.3x74; a pretty solid piece for the price and nicely regulated. Given its rather proletarian heritage it gets the rough and tumble use out hunting. My very nice Brit BPE's don't warrant the abuse.

2) I think it is a big relief for Australia that the Liberal Party sent Labor down in flames......(partly helped by or own "climate change" gasbag Al Gore)

- Mike

--------------------
"Here's to killing people you don't like with people you do"

"Will Rogers never met a fighter pilot"
- Anon

“Always carry a flask of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore always carry a small snake."
-- W. C. Fields

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: A double rifle affordable for everyone? [Re: 3DogMike]
      #328539 - 20/05/19 01:37 AM

Affordable gets more people shooting.. that is NEVER a bad idea..

Affordable for one man may not be for another.. in my area there are several gunsmiths making doubles.. one is doing it from scratch.. saw him post a pic of it on FB a few months ago.. beautiful weapon..but NOT affordable for most...

Many people, myself included have champaign taste but a beer budget... so... get what you can and enjoy it...

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 130 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 25394

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com