Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: A double rifle affordable for everyone?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
A double rifle affordable for everyone?
      #8544 - 09/02/04 10:44 AM

Is a double rifle affordable for everyone?

Should every hunter/shooter have a double rifle in their safe?

I think with some of the very cheap new double rifles coming out now, one is possible for every shooter. But is this a good idea? Will some of these cheapies be a positive experience or a negative one, or will we see a resurgence of double rifle mania never seen before?

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
nopride2
.300 member

Reged: 03/01/04
Loc: Seattle, Wa.
Re: A double rifle affordable for everyone? [Re: NitroX]
      #8547 - 09/02/04 11:28 AM

Even if a double rifle were affordable enough for everyone, it would not be for everyone. Most riflemen are happy with their bolt, lever, pump, or auto, and have no interest in a double. Now you might be able to hook quite a few single shot guys into a double. Their almost as crazy as we are.

Dave

475Guy
.400 member

Reged: 22/08/03
Loc: Kali, US
      #8551 - 09/02/04 12:38 PM

Nitro, I've found Merkels in the used market for under $7000 a while back. These were only fired a few times by their owners before they found they couldn't handle a 470. Quite a few double buyers don't shoot much anyways, they just buy just to have one.

--------------------
Lo do they call to me,
They bid me take my place among
them in the Halls of Valhalla,
Where the brave may live forever.

atkinson6
.375 member

Reged: 26/01/04
Loc: Idaho
Re: A double rifle affordable for everyone? [Re: 475Guy]
      #8591 - 10/02/04 06:21 AM

The gunlist is full of Merkles for $6000. Must be a reason for that...

mikeh416Rigby
.450 member

Reged: 24/02/03
Loc: The beautiful Oley Valley, PA....
Re: A double rifle affordable for everyone? [Re: atkinson6]
      #8597 - 10/02/04 07:13 AM

Ray, first of all, I hope you're feeling better.

What is your opinion of the Merkel's?

atkinson6
.375 member

Reged: 26/01/04
Loc: Idaho
Re: A double rifle affordable for everyone? [Re: mikeh416Rigby]
      #8651 - 11/02/04 02:44 AM

Mike,
My honest opinnion is Merkles are an inferior double rifle, the engraving looks like Mrs. Piggy did it with a double bitted axe, the inside is rough as a cob, and the parts are not well polished out.. they took a lot of short cuts, probably to keep costs down...These areas were pointed out to me by some of the better double rifle smiths. This is only MY opinnion.

mikeh416Rigby
.450 member

#8656 - 11/02/04 03:05 AM

Ray, I certaintly appreciate the information. I value any information from you quite highly. After all, you've been around the block a few times, while I'm still going out the front door. Thanks again.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#8768 - 11/02/04 05:06 PM

In reply to:

The gunlist is full of Merkles for $6000. Must be a reason for that...

Maybe they sell more than any other maker ?

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#8769 - 11/02/04 05:15 PM

When I raised this thread I wasn't thinking of $6000 rifles. Obviously not "everyone" can afford that sort of expenditure on a single firearm.

I was thinking more along the lines of the following. The EAA or Baikal doubles which should be purchasable for about US$600 to US$800 and in Australia around A$1200.

Side by side

Under and over

Obviously not for everyone as they do look a bit rough and not that pretty. They are also mainly in smaller and medium calibres. Calibres include: .270, .308, .30-06 and .45/70.

BUT if they are functional and work well enough for the purpose don't they mean that now any hunter could afford to have a double rifle.

What made me think this, was I was speaking to a hunter not long ago and he immediately bought one of these doubles. He always wanted a double and could afford one of these.

Or would these cheapies be a disaster and actually a negative to the double rifle shooting world?

--------------------
John aka NitroX

luv2safari
.400 member

Reged: 09/11/03
Loc: United States
Re: A double rifle affordable for everyone? *DELETED* [Re: NitroX]
      #8771 - 11/02/04 05:21 PM

Post deleted by luv2safari

--------------------
Hunt with Class and Classics

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: A double rifle affordable for everyone? [Re: luv2safari]
      #8773 - 11/02/04 05:28 PM

Remington 870 is a pump action isn't it?

--------------------
John aka NitroX

luv2safari
.400 member

#8775 - 11/02/04 05:48 PM

Yes...the old 870's were the standard of the industry here for many years. Remington is now trying to have a presence in the Mossberg segment of the market, and put out a cheaper 870. They are blowing it in a big way, however. The cheaper 870 Express is giving them a black eye and hemorrhoids at the same time. They are gaining a bad reputation for the Remington line, and have many warranty repairs to cope with.

These things are happening all through the firearms makers right now. I am old enough to remember the outrage over the post 1963 Winchester company re-alignment...from the very best US production firearms, to some of the worst. I remember David O'Mannery pimping the "new Mdl 70" as the best rifle for Africa. We all know that they were terrible! It took them until 1980 to make a decent push feed rifle, but by then, it was too late for them to gain their following back.

I fear the same thing has happened to Merkel...

I shot an EEA 12/30-06 about 6 months ago...not too bad for the price of $429.00. I worry about durability, however, and the triggers were awful...ratchets...Still, not bad for the bucks by today's prices.

--------------------

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#8779 - 11/02/04 11:44 PM

So the Remington 870 comments really have nothing to do with double rifles or this thread at all.

Any first hand experience with the Merkel to back up these comments?

--------------------
John aka NitroX

mikeh416Rigby
.450 member

#8783 - 12/02/04 12:00 AM

It sounds as though you like the Merkels. Since I'll consider all makes, what features do they have that you like?

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: A double rifle affordable for everyone? [Re: mikeh416Rigby]
      #8790 - 12/02/04 12:54 AM

Mike

If I was looking for a new factory double I would look at all of them that is in my price range and that are available in Australia.

Krieghioff, Heym, Merkel, Chapuis.

And see which I liked and which I didn't. I liked the Merkel when I handled one before buying my Jeffrey double. I also handled one in Zimbabwe an dit was fine, the stock didn't come to the right point for me and the rear site was not right. I like a shallow V not a notch back site. I understand a shallow V can be ordered. Cutting the buttstock or extending it would have made it point better.

In the USA you have more choices.

BUT I would go for a good English double if I could find one at the right price first.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

mickey
.416 member

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: Pend Oreille Valley, Idaho
      #8794 - 12/02/04 02:26 AM

Nito

What is the procedure and tax liability if you buy a used rifle from a visiting Sportsman? Do you still pay the high tax and such?

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: A double rifle affordable for everyone? [Re: mickey]
      #8795 - 12/02/04 02:45 AM

Still up as I am answering correspondence and working on some photos.

To buy a firearm first you need approval from the state police firearms branch. There is usually not a problem for this. In SA the sale/transfer needs to be done either by a registered firearms dealer or witnessed by a police officer. Some club officials I believe can also do this.

There is a waiting period of I think 21 or 28 days before the approval is given.

Tax liability. If imported correctly a firearm will attract a 10% GST (Goods and Services Tax) on the sales value of the firearm and freight and insurance, costs incurred in importation etc.

It may also be required to be inspected and tested by customs. I am not aware of these procedures but soon may be.

If you import on a temporary basis a firearm as a tourist, I am sure they will want to see it when you leave or see the appropriate documentation.

We can discuss this together directly if you wish as to fine tuning some of this.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

DUGABOY1
.400 member

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: TEXAS USA
      #8811 - 12/02/04 07:43 AM

Well considering the above comments, about the Merkel, I think I will be in for some flame, for my opinion of them! In any event, of those negative comments above, my take is a full 90% of them are by folks who have never owned a Merkel in their lives! and the other 10% have never even seen one in the flesh, and damn few here, or anywhere, has fired, a new one, and some, not new, or old!

With that said, I will say, I have owned many Merkel products, over the years, both shotguns, and rifles, and I will say, emphatically, I have never had a bad one! I own a small S/S double rifle that is only a couple years old, and it is a fine little rifle for the $4710 price. It is chambered for 9.3X74R, and before you say, "well that's a small caliber", the 9.3X74R developes 42,000 lbs of chamber pressure, far more than a 470NE, and I have fired about 200 rnds through it with no problem at all. Where there may be some justification for caution, is with the ones chambered for 375 H&H Belted Mag, or 416 Rigby, because they develope upwards of 60,000 lbs of chamber pressure. That, however, is not unique to Merkel, almost all the makers chamber these cartridges as well, and it is no better idea for them than it is foe Merkel.

My new rifle shoots very well, and the auto selective ejectors work flawlessly, it handles like a fine little 410 shotgun, and ballances perfectly. It is fitted with cocking indicators, and the barrels, are fitted to the action as nicely as any of my Westley Richards doubles. The only place I see any shotcuts, is in engraveing, it is rolled on, or stamped, and final polishing of the steel. But the basic engraveing is not all that bad, it is only the so-called first up grade at the tune of $1000 that is what Ray refers to! It is, as he says, cartoon like, and certainly not worth $1000 usd! I have an old, about 1920, S/S, and the only difference I can find is in the final engraveing, and Polishing of the steel. On a working rifle, such clownish features are not a necessity, or even desired, by me!

As I have said, in posts before, I can find no verifiable instance of anyone who has bought one of the NEW Merkels, and has had them go off face, and I doubt there is anyone here who can point me to a particular person who has experienced this. I know several who sold them becasue they couldn't take the recoil, because they did not install recoil pads, and some that used them for one hunt, then sold them to recoup some of the cost of their safari, but not one because the rifle was inferior in any way!

Time will tell the tale, but for now, I'm from Missouri, "SHOW ME!" don't tell me what you have heard!I will say, like all firearms that were closed behind the iron curtain, quality suffered, durring that period, in the case of Merkel, because of worn out machinery, not skill. Most of the ones from this period only came into this country by GIs buying them used in Germany. They were never imported into the USA. The new ones are again made on new machinery, and the cost is down because of the ecconomy of east Germany, not quality.

The stocks are left with a plastic butt plate because the stock needs to be fitted to the buyer, and the addition of a well needed recoil pad, solves that shortcoming! The stghts are typical GERMAN, and was to be expected, on an almost new rifle that sells for under $6K, one can change the sights, add the recoil pad, and have QD scope base installed, if that is something he wants, and still have a 470NE, or 500NE double, for under $10K That is sticking in the craw of some of the dealers of very expensive double rifles that will not shoot any better than this little Merkel. This, my friends, is where these horror stories are coming from, IMO!

Now to the thing that NitroX had in mind when he started this string! The little Biakal double rifle offered by RUSSIA, and imported into the USA by EAA, for $600 usd. I have not seen one first hand, and I doubt many in the USA have, because they are not available yet! I have, however examined the shotguns made by the same people, and I was not impressed at all. At first glance, the over all image is nice, till you get hold of it in your hands! They seem to me to be something you would buy for a kid to learn with, and to ride in a jeep rifle rack without haveing to worry about the finish.

As to the effect on the public, in building new interest in double rifles, I believe it will turn more off, than on! I base this on the fact that most who would consider a $600 double rifle, are not "in the know" enough, about double rifles, to make them work properly, and will be soured on doubles for life. A few will be bought by folks who do know, and may buy them for their kids to hunt deer with, haveing the benifite of thier know-how to make them shoot, or rebarrel them to small chamberings like the .22 centerfires, for something to play with!

All this is a long winded post to simply say, some things are never enough for some people,and "if you ain't got what I got, you ain't got the good stuff!"is their attitude.That doesn't make their opinions valid in all cases! The fact is, an old FORD PU will get you to the mall, as quickly as a Masarati,if you abide by the law, but folks along the way, will not pay as much attention to you in the pickup,as the "LOOK AT ME" Italian Stallion! To me, the looks given you, by the public, are not worth the difference in price. The guy driveing the Masarati, will always look down on the cowboy driveing the PU, and the same goes for those who can afford $20,000/$40,000 for a double rifle, looking down on those who must do with a $10,000 double rifle, and skrimp to afford that!

Folks, the only person you have to please is, YOURSELF, so buy what you want,and deal with it's drawbacks. Don't worry about the guy looking over your shoulder, when you shoot your Buffalo, with your new rifle! He ain't paying the bill!

--------------------
..........Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY1, and MacD37 founding member of DRSS www.doublerifleshooterssociety.com
"If I die today, I have had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"

ThomasEdwards
.300 member

Reged: 04/01/04
Loc: Newport Beach, CA
Re: A double rifle affordable for everyone? [Re: DUGABOY1]
      #8814 - 12/02/04 07:56 AM

...thanks for your views...i really like the merkel smooth bores, and think that they are a step higher than comparable krieghoff smooth bores...my premium dealer (of brit doubles, perazzis, a+s, etc.) fully agrees, and says that you really cannot get much better than a merkel in a production grade offering...

...i also understand that merkel's barrels are used by kreighoff, and that its actions are used by rigbys...

...that said, i really cannot see how the merkel double rifles can be as bad as posters have indicated in recent posts...

Dark_Helmet
.333 member

Reged: 09/01/04
Loc: Lincoln, Nebraska, USA
      #8817 - 12/02/04 09:17 AM

In reply to:

Yes...the old 870's were the standard of the industry here for many years

I TOTALLY disagree. at no time in all of history has the 870 been a better gun than the Winchester Model 12...

its funny, my father-in-law has 4 870s, 3 1100s, an Auto5 and a few .22s, the 20ga 100 gets shot once or twice a year.

my dad's model 12s (the two that aren't collector's pieces) have both seens ~100,000+ rounds through the chambers and are absolutely "better" guns in every regard (save cosmetics).

...just my $0.02

--------------------

-me

(long live the Mauser 98!)

Dark_Helmet
.333 member

Reged: 09/01/04
Loc: Lincoln, Nebraska, USA
Re: A double rifle affordable for everyone? [Re: Dark_Helmet]
      #8818 - 12/02/04 09:22 AM

btw... am I the only one who thinks the krieghoff o/u guns have the worlds worst action????

good god man, that's a mess! I'll take my SKB for 1/5th the price thank you.

--------------------

-me

(long live the Mauser 98!)

luv2safari
.400 member

#8822 - 12/02/04 09:56 AM

Since Winchester quit being Winchester in 1963, the 870 has been THE pump shotgun. The regular 870 is still a very good gun, but not as good as it once was. If you read carefully, you will notice that I was talking about their price point gun, the 870 express. The Kreighoff K-80 is a standard of the trap range, but I don't like much about their DR's.

This isn't about pump shotguns. It's about double rifles.

I know what I saw. I saw problems that in fact exist. I have owned Merkels , and now own a Merkel. I had a SXS in 9,3 that was a good rifle. I am concerned over what I think might be a bad trend, that's all. I have shot the bigger Merkels, and liked the gun in concept. I would not now buy one, however.

Many don't like the Valmets and Tikkas. I have had great experience with them and use them hard. I have heard of problems with the soft steel scope mounts and ribs from people who's opinion I completely trust. I've never had any problems, however. Maybe the reality of this argument lies somewhere in the middle...???

There is a reason why they make Fords and Chevys, and in different colors...

--------------------

DUGABOY1
.400 member

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: TEXAS USA
      #8829 - 12/02/04 11:42 AM

In reply to:

my dad's model 12s (the two that aren't collector's pieces) have both seens ~100,000+ rounds through the chambers and are absolutely "better" guns in every regard (save cosmetics).

--------------------
..........Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY1, and MacD37 founding member of DRSS www.doublerifleshooterssociety.com
"If I die today, I have had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"

Crazyquik
.275 member

Reged: 21/12/03
Re: A double rifle affordable for everyone? [Re: DUGABOY1]
      #8834 - 12/02/04 12:10 PM

That's 10 cases a year, for 40 years. A lot, but certainly not impossible, as I've shot a case in a day on more than one occasion.

RE Kreigoff shotguns - all my buddies (skeet shooters) love them, and I must admit I fancy them as well. No expirience with thier double rifles though.

I'd love to buy a Baikel SxS double rifle if they'd ever ship one here!! As they keep putting it off, I think I've made arrangements for an alternative.

If/when it gets here, we'll have the ~500-600 dollar gun, the Pedersoli Kodiak (how much are those, 1500-2000?) and then the "proper" European guns at the 6k+ price mark.

luv2safari
.400 member

#8869 - 12/02/04 04:35 PM

100,000...who did the counting...for each one...?

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)

Extra information
3 registered and 128 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 25597

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com