Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Spartan s/s

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
watto
.275 member

Reged: 10/06/07
Loc: Victoria,Australia
Re: Spartan s/s [Re: 9.3x57]
      #80546 - 14/06/07 12:30 AM

I guess for me it is mainly just to add a big bore to my hunting selection. As I think I have said here before, I have a .22Hornet, a .303 smle sporter and Tika T3 .300 WSM. I do already have another 45/70 but that is in a replica Sharps topped with a (I think) Navy Arms 4 pwr x 24" brass scope. The Sharps is great for playing with but not really practical for dragging round the bush chasing Sambar deer. I have also owned a Ruger #3 carbine in 45/70 which I keep trying to buy back and if I can ever
talk the present owner into parting with it, that WILL become a 450 Alaskan. If I do end up with a Baikal DR in 45/70, I fully realise that this is not a rifle that you can push the envelope with the loads, but staying within the pressure constraints using 350Gr proectiles makes a pretty potent relatively short range Sambar rifle for heavy bush country.

So in answer to 9ThreeXFifty7, why not? Ps:I also previously had an 8 x 57 Mauser and loved it.

All the best, Ian.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: Spartan s/s [Re: watto]
      #80609 - 14/06/07 11:52 AM

watto:

Interested in what would motivate a Aussie to buy a .45-70 is all. I personally very much like the cartridge as I think I intimated before. Haven't hunted with it in a few years but a few days ago I shot some rounds into my test media and got to thinking about some of my hunts with it. Wondered if you guys have some particular bullet or some such that gives it a local flair.

By the way, I own two commericial 8x57's; Swede 640's. They are dandys, too!

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #80615 - 14/06/07 12:54 PM

What attracts many to the Spartan in .45/70 is it is a pseudo "big bore" side by side double rifle. And more affordable than the rest, but not necessarily better value.

If they shoot well enough I think they are a good thing, offering guys a chance at owning a side by side DR and in a .45/70 (or 9.3mm) hopefully a reasonable brush rifle.

Watto,

"If I do end up with a Baikal DR in 45/70, I fully realise that this is not a rifle that you can push the envelope with the loads, but staying within the pressure constraints using 350Gr proectiles makes a pretty potent relatively short range Sambar rifle for heavy bush country."

I know you prefer the .45/70 and I understand why, but a 9.3x74R will still make a better sambar rifle! Why? Because the 9.3x74R seems to be pretty much the standard for DR "driven game" hunting of boar, moose and stag in Europe. Perfect for sambar too IMO. A 286 gr 9.3 will out penetrate a 350 gr .45 anyday.

I think where the .45/70 will excel is as a close quarters pig rifle. Fun.

Good luck with the rifle. Hope it works well for you.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

watto
.275 member

#80632 - 14/06/07 07:41 PM

9ThreexFifty7.

Woodliegh 350gn @ 2050 fps!

Ian

watto
.275 member

#80637 - 14/06/07 09:36 PM

9ThreeXFifty

Consider me pretty well convinced, I am going to Melbourne next week to have a look at a
Baikal 9.3 u/o. I had a look at a 30/06 sxs yesterday, it didn't feel bad but I did not like the look
of the extractors. That tiny little point that picks up the groove in the rimless case did not fill me with confidence. I am also looking at a Fabarm but I don't think I can stretch the budget enough at the moment. I've also been told on this site that although they look better than the Baikal, they probably don't work any better.

All the best, Ian.

9.3x57
.450 member

Re: Spartan s/s [Re: NitroX]
      #80643 - 14/06/07 11:24 PM

Thanks for the info. Interesting.

Here are a couple more tests I shot this past weekend.

http://www.gunboards.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=231211

For more 9.3 bullet tests see the ".375 Penetration" post in Reloading.

Here are some observations from my use of the .45-70. It seems the cartridge might have controversy status around here. All my experience has been with 2 Marlin 1895's.

The .45-70 is a very interesting cartridge, particularly so in a strong action such as the Marlin 1895. The trouble as far as I am concerned is that it prints different loads to wildly different POI and unless the gun has easily adjustable sights a guy is absolutely best finding one load and sticking to it. A 300 gr JHP at 3000 fps will print somewhere in the next county compared to a 405 gr JSP at 1200. I'm not sure what all that means for a double .45-70, meaning I wonder if a guy would have to alter his loads possibly to a load he really doesn't like in order to get the thing to regulate. And in my opinion I would NOT, for example, want to be stuck shooting the 405/1200 load.

My brother has had excellent results with a 300/1800 load on deer. It shoots flat to 100 yards. Crazy to say that but a 405/1100 or 405/1200 doesn't, needing sometimes {yes it varies} upwards of 2 inches or more midrange to zero at 100. This doesn't sound like a big deal but where we hunt we need to be able to literally thread needles to kill deer. But don't look down on a 300 JHP at 1800 to 2100 fps out of the Marlin. It kills deer just fine and usually does so with a hole on the offside the size of {who's reading this?...} a cricket ball!

I myself have tended to go a different way and have used the Lee 402 grain Hollow Point cast bullet for all my hunting {I think, might have shot a deer or two with a JHP}. Anyway, that Lee I cast of straight wheelweights, unhardened, using a grease felt and card wad column over a compressed load of 3031 I put together and driving to 1640 fps. Yes, this bullet can be pushed to near 1900 fps but in the Marlin is pure unadulterated misery to shoot. I'd rather get audited by the IRS again than shoot another magazinefull.

But that 402HP/1640 load is a killer. I've shot bear, deer and 2 big semiwild range cattle with it. One of those cattle was among three that were struck on a road by a motorist and injured. It went went berserk, aggressively charging and chasing the Sheriff's Deputy {9mm and M16 armed} under his patrol car and the rancher up the mountain {he mounted fortunately, but unarmed}. None of this did I know when the rancher asked me if I wanted her for the freezer. Cheap meat? Sure. I declined to use a friend's .38 revolver he had in his pocket and instead took the Marlin. I'm really glad I didn't take the pistol...

The cow had an injured hind leg but it didn't seem to slow her. As I said, I didn't know the "history" on this animal but I did know something was up because the rancher was now parked about a quarter of a mile away in his pickup and not getting any closer. I found the bovine peacefully chewing her cud over in the landing at the cedar mill. I walked up behind her to put one in the back of her head and she must have heard me approach as in one graceful {?} movement she was up, swapped ends and without further ado came hell-for-leather for me when I got to about 30 yards.

I'll hazard a guess {only half tongue-in-cheek} that our mobile butcher has taken more big beef charges than most any barload of PH's in Africa and I remembered what he told me and did so. Stuck the bullet 2 inches below a line drawn between her eyes as her head was stuck straight out pointed toward you-know-who.

At the shot she dropped like Clinton's pants at a Mary Kay Convention, dead as Clinton's honor.

All that to say this: That 402 went through the head, pulped the neck and came to rest in the shoulder, 24 inches of penetration through bone and heavy sinew. You farm boys know what a big crossbred commercial cow looks and weighs like.

The Lee 402HP acts like a Nosler Partition. I've shot other game where I needed excess penetration {shooting through boughs to get to treed bear} and it works. It is my favorite bullet for the .45-70 at medium-high velocities. Only trouble with it is it is a wee bit undersize for my Marlin. My wad column takes care of leading problems in the summer, but at -10 Fahrenheit you can expect a streak or two of leading.

The .45-70 has it's place in the scheme of things. It is heartily NOT comparable to a .470 or .500 or even .458 Win Mag and it surprises me to hear that some might think it is, but it can be a very dependable killer on biggish game. Picking the right bullet and driving it to over 1500 fps helps.

Having said all that, I think a double 9.3x74R would be far more useful for the general run of hunting.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

Sam
.224 member

Reged: 11/04/06
Re: Spartan s/s [Re: Sam]
      #80658 - 15/06/07 04:48 AM

So: There are nobody who have any experience with the Spartan (Baikal) s/s?

And why 45-70?
Because I have a Marlin in this caliber - and it`s great!

.300 member

Reged: 30/12/06
Loc: Melbourne,Victoria, Australia
Re: Spartan s/s [Re: Sam]
      #80663 - 15/06/07 07:45 AM

Sam.
I have shot the side by side Baikal in 30.06. I did not like the feel of the rifle, it was hard to get my cheak low enough onto the stock to look through the sights. IMHO the O/U appears to have more meat around the chamber and looks to be a stronger action. The sXs is much lighter than the O/U
I can not comment on the regulating device on the sXs.
It may appeal to other people, but not to me.

Wayne

--------------------
The worst days shooting and hunting is better than the best day at work

watto
.275 member

Re: Spartan s/s [Re: 450]
      #80665 - 15/06/07 09:43 AM

Wayne, do you have or know of any reload / ballistic figures for the Baikal o/u in 9.3 x 74?

Thanks Ian.

.300 member

Reged: 30/12/06
Loc: Melbourne,Victoria, Australia
      #80924 - 19/06/07 10:55 AM

Watto.

I sent an email to ADI and they went me some loads for the 9.3x74r. I can supply you with a copy. I have tested all of them and settled on the ones that suit my rifle. I will give you a ring on the numbers you supplied to arrange for you to shoot my rifle. Do not know any motel near footscray. try the web

Wayne

--------------------
The worst days shooting and hunting is better than the best day at work

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Spartan s/s [Re: 450]
      #81032 - 20/06/07 09:04 PM

Quote:

Watto.

I sent an email to ADI and they went me some loads for the 9.3x74r. I can supply you with a copy. I have tested all of them and settled on the ones that suit my rifle. ....
Wayne

Wayne,

Can you email me those loads as well and which ones worked well for you? Please use the email address at the bottom of the forums (ie Contact Us). I would be interested in seeing them.

On the Baikal/Spartan Side by Side .45/70.

Are these actually being sold in Australia now? By whom? Thanks.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

watto
.275 member

#81042 - 20/06/07 11:13 PM

G'day John,
now the bad news, today I rang the shop were I had my order and deposit for the 45/70 only to find the saga continues. Apparently baikal have now decided that the USA will get them first and we have to wait for probably 12 more months. I had pretty well decided to go for the 9.3 anyway, after hearing the advise from you blokes on this site. I thought briefly about the Fabarm in 9.3, which looks nice, but now for about the same sort of money I am looking at a 9.3 Baikal o/u and a 16 bore cape gun. I first looked at the cape a couple of years ago but didn't go ahead with it, but just found out that it is still available. That should hold off my desire for a sxs for a year or 2, when hopefully I can spend a bit more mony.

All the best, Ian.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#81123 - 22/06/07 02:54 AM

Ian

The 16 bore 'cape gun'. Is it in U/O or S/S configuration? What is the rifle barrel in? Is it a Baikal as well?

Thanks. Just interested.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Rich
.224 member

Reged: 07/12/06
Loc: Fayette county Pa.
      #81125 - 22/06/07 05:09 AM

I have been building doubles on Baikal? spartan actions for about 8 yrs. now, am a retired gunsmith of 42 yrs. They make good cheap actions with a little work. I only load rounds that don't exceed 40'000 lb. Here is a cape gun i just finished, will be shipped to Costa Rica next week. it is a 4570 x 12 gauge regulated for 54 grs. imr 3031 in the rifle and Brenneke Black Magic in the smooth bore.
[image][/image]

Rich
.224 member

Re: Spartan s/s [Re: Rich]
      #81127 - 22/06/07 05:12 AM

[image][/image]

Rich
.224 member

#81128 - 22/06/07 05:13 AM

[image][/image]

Rich
.224 member

#81129 - 22/06/07 05:14 AM

[image][/image]

Rich
.224 member

#81130 - 22/06/07 05:16 AM

[image][/image]

9.3x57
.450 member

#81135 - 22/06/07 10:43 AM

Quote:

I have been building doubles on Baikal? spartan actions for about 8 yrs. now, am a retired gunsmith of 42 yrs. They make good cheap actions with a little work. I only load rounds that don't exceed 40'000 lb. Here is a cape gun i just finished, will be shipped to Costa Rica next week. it is a 4570 x 12 gauge regulated for 54 grs. imr 3031 in the rifle and Brenneke Black Magic in the smooth bore.

Very interesting post!

Great shooting, too.

Can you explain the method you use to build and regulate the shotgun and rifle barrels?

--------------------

88MauSporter
.375 member

Reged: 06/06/07
Loc: Alaska / Texas
      #81139 - 22/06/07 12:20 PM

Rich:
I am very impressed. i have a couple of Cape gun (sxs) oldies. The combo you have looks great and is very practicle and formidable for most any American hunting. North /Central or South America!
I will post some photos of mine later on.
Both are 16 ga X one is .50 caliber and the other a 9.5X56R. The .50 is more basic than the 9,5.
I love these kind of guns. They are fun to shoot. Attract alot of comments and are super for the big Texas Hogs in the Hill Country.
88MauSporter.

--------------------
"A hunter should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everthing goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." 88MauSporter

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Spartan s/s [Re: 88MauSporter]
      #81158 - 23/06/07 03:52 AM

Those .45/70/shotgun cape guns look very versatile for mixed game hunting in thick bush.

I imagine they would be in demand too.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

watto
.275 member

#81189 - 24/06/07 01:16 AM

G'day John and others.

The cape gun I have just bought is an old sxs under lever hammer gun, Engraved with "Tipping and Lowden London". Both barrels are 16 bore, with left rifled and the right smooth bored. I will have to ask some advise here, I was under the impression that a cape gun always had two barrels of the same bore, with one rifled and one smooth and if one barrel was a different calibre/bore it was then a combination. If I am wrong could someone explain the difference between the cape and the combo please.

All the best, Ian.

9.3x57
.450 member

#81190 - 24/06/07 01:32 AM

Combination is a catch-all term involving multibarrel guns utilizing different calibers/bores.

I believe Cape Gun can be used to describe both the guns you identify.

Other names:

1} Büchsflinte; sxs or o/u, rifle/shotgun, AKA "Cape Gun"
2} Drilling; 3 barrels, two shotgun, one rifle
3} Bockdrilling; o/u 3 barrels, 2 rifle {sometimes different calibers, e.g. 8x57J/.22 LR or .22 Hornet}, one shotgun
4} Vierling; 4 barrels, 2 shotgun, 2 rifle, rifle barrels different calibers {as in an 8x57J and a .22}

--------------------

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#81200 - 24/06/07 06:18 AM

"I will have to ask some advise here, I was under the impression that a cape gun always had two barrels of the same bore, with one rifled and one smooth and if one barrel was a different calibre/bore it was then a combination. If I am wrong could someone explain the difference between the cape and the combo please."

Not an expert but my understanding is the term "cape gun" obviously originates from the "Cape" of South Africa and describes a side by side firearm with one smooth bore barrel and one rifled barrel. Not necessarily the same calibre.

A versatile firearm for mixed game hunting especially for sustenance when small game and birds might present themselves or antelope/medium sized game.

In reality the same thing as a "combination gun" except the "combo" is more usually an under and over. "Cape Gun" is probably a more "romantic" term for a side by side combination firearm.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

watto
.275 member

#81209 - 24/06/07 09:42 AM

Would anybody know anything of Tipping and Lowden of London?

Thanks, Ian.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 58 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 11255

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com