Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Recommendations needed for an entry level DR in 9.3x74r

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
dougk
.224 member

Reged: 18/04/07
Loc: Driftwood, TX
Recommendations needed for an entry level DR in 9.3x74r
      #79618 - 31/05/07 01:58 AM

I am looking for an entry level double rifle in 9.3x74r to be used for larger game in North America. Having a 1 yer old, inexpensive is the operative word. At first I was thinking SxS but now I am open to O/U configurations. What double rifle would you suggest?

Thanks,
Doug

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
zimhunter
.333 member

Reged: 05/02/04
Loc: Southern Arizona
Re: Recommendations needed for an entry level DR in 9.3x74r [Re: dougk]
      #79619 - 31/05/07 02:07 AM

There is really only one that I know of and that is the Valmet/Tikka 512 series. Russ Gould is the importer I believe. I have owned 2 of the Valmets with various barrel sets both shotgun and rifle and have absolutely nothing bad to report about them. They are not the PRETTIEST rifles on the market with the open barrel construction but they offer a silicone rubber filler to place between the barrels that really changes the appearance significantly for the better. The 9.3x74r's that I have had have been easily regulated to shoot whatever load is desired and the factory scope mount is very effective. Price cannot be beat to my knowledge. Mine have all been used guns but the new ones are reasonably priced.

peter
removed

Reged: 11/04/07
Loc: denmark
Re: Recommendations needed for an entry level DR in 9.3x74r [Re: zimhunter]
      #79625 - 31/05/07 03:13 AM

what about the baikals they make them both in s/s and o/u they are not as easy on the eye as an english double but what the hell. to my experience they are sturdy, well built, cheap and fun to have.

good luck

peter

dougk
.224 member

Reged: 18/04/07
Loc: Driftwood, TX
Re: Recommendations needed for an entry level DR in 9.3x74r [Re: peter]
      #79627 - 31/05/07 03:30 AM

I have a Valmet and am looking at the Valmet in 9.3x74r double rifle. The Valmet 9.3x74r double rifle sets are hard to find...

I have a Baikal combo in 12/30-06 which is great. I had a Remington branded Baikal and the barrels windage was off, EAA who still imports these guns could not fix the barral windage. They kindly resolved the issue. Hence, I am leary of the Remington/Spartan guns.

400NitroExpress
.400 member

Reged: 26/11/03
Loc: Lone Star State
      #79630 - 31/05/07 05:06 AM

Quote:

I am looking for an entry level double rifle in 9.3x74r to be used for larger game in North America. Having a 1 yer old, inexpensive is the operative word. At first I was thinking SxS but now I am open to O/U configurations. What double rifle would you suggest?

Thanks,
Doug

Chapuis UGEX, hands down.

--------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

NE450No2
.375 member

Reged: 10/01/03
Re: Recommendations needed for an entry level DR in 9.3x74r [Re: 400NitroExpress]
      #79631 - 31/05/07 05:16 AM

I agree with 400 Nitro. It will cost a little more than you planned on spending, but it will serve you the rest of your life.

I have been using one for several years. It is one of my favorite hunting rifles.

You could spend a lot more money for another brand, or a fancier rifle, but none of them will hunt any better.

Spend a little more up front, it will be worth it in the long run.

hoppdoc
.400 member

Reged: 02/03/06
Loc: Southeastern USA
Re: Recommendations needed for an entry level DR in 9.3x74r [Re: NE450No2]
      #79644 - 31/05/07 09:24 AM

NE450No2--

Any issues of long term accuracy with your 9.3 Chapius?

You have shot yours extensively but I do recall an individual who posted months ago with ??accuracy issues.

Is this websites general experience that of decent long term accuracy with the Chapuis Double??

Anyone out there with accuracy problems?

--------------------
An armed man is a citizen of his country, an unarmed man just a subject.

Edited by hoppdoc (31/05/07 09:24 AM)

NE450No2
.375 member

Reged: 10/01/03
Re: Recommendations needed for an entry level DR in 9.3x74r [Re: hoppdoc]
      #79648 - 31/05/07 09:52 AM

I have shot my Chapuis a litttle over 3000 [three thousand] rounds.
I have not had any acccuracy problems with mine.

I have hunted with several different factory loads [ at least 5] and with handloads using 5 different bullets.

Superior ammo has shot the best, with 286 Woodleighs and 286 Nosler Partitions.

Rustyzipper
.275 member

Reged: 20/10/03
Loc: North of the Zambezi, in Miser...
Re: Recommendations needed for an entry level DR in 9.3x74r [Re: NE450No2]
      #79658 - 31/05/07 11:50 AM

I'm thinking about possibly selling my O/U 12 ga and 9.3X74 double set and going with one 12/9.3 barrel. I hate to but it may become economically necessary. My lack of forethought here. Just in case someone wants to work a deal for the double barrels from this board it is possible. Not to completely highjack, Mr Gould is a great guy in my experience and was a straight talker. Good luck in whatever you decide. But do buy for the future not the moment. Rustyzipper

--------------------
NMLRA Life, NRA Annual,DRSS, .......

Pilgrim
.275 member

Reged: 25/05/04
Loc: Washington State, USA
Re: Recommendations needed for an entry level DR in 9.3x74r [Re: Rustyzipper]
      #79663 - 31/05/07 02:23 PM

I'm probably the guy you are referring to re: Chapuis UGEX 9.3 x 74R and accuracy. The problem with my rifle was rough bores. After 2-300 rounds they smoothed out sufficiently that the barrel dwell time changed and the barrels crossed by ~5" at 100yds. Initial accuracy was wonderful ( 2l,2r in ~ 1" @ 100 yds.) but teh accuracy slowly deteriorated with use. It has now been re-regulated by JJ and he thinks that even if it smooths out some more, the regulation change(s) if any will be minor and easily adjusted with loads sith little velocity loss. Based upon my use of the rifle the last few range sessions over tha past week or so, I suspect he is right. It is still fouling, but not as badly as originally. My rifle now regulates with 286 gr @~2300 fps. Accuracy is better than I am currently holding, so I can't give you the particulars, but I suspect it is less than 2" for 2 lefts and rights @ 100 yds. More likely it is in the 1 1/2" range. I can tighten them up by changing loads, but am not satisfied with the shooters perfromance right now, so changes in loads is pointless at this time. FWIW Pilgrim

DUGABOY1
.400 member

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: TEXAS USA
      #80358 - 12/06/07 12:26 AM

DougK 400, and 450#2 are correct,and you can't go wrong with any advice they give you where double rifles are concerned. However, the Chapuis is not the only brand that will serve you well, though they are top notch. In the S/S double rifle configuration, that will not break the bank, but will last you a life time of service, also includes the Merkel Mod 141, and the older 140E.

The older 140E is a very well made little rifle, and is a little more of a classic double rifle, with it's barrels being regulated at the factory, and are perminetly fixed, with 24" hammer forged shoe lump barrels, with a top rib extention with a Greener cross bolt, and double under bites. The action is a Anson Deely action clone,with side clips, and side bolsters, and is case colored,with only light simple engraveing. They usually have fairly nice wood!

The Mod 141 is a very new rifle for Merkel, and is much lighter than the 140E, with 1" shorter barrels that are thinner to save weight, but are regulation adjestable, if that interets you, it doesn't interest me at all. To me the adjustable regulation is just something to go wrong at the most inopertune moment. The actions are the same, except the 141 is made on the 28 ga size action, and the 140E is made on the 20 ga size action. Right here let me tell you the rifles are made on rifle strenth actions, and the shotguns are made on the same action. What this means is Merkel has only to make one action for both rifel and shotgun, the only difference being size for the chambering! IOW, Merkel shotguns are made on rifle actions, not the reverce! The 141 has a different rib, then the 140E. The 140E has a full length streight rib, while the 141 has a rib likt the Merkel African Express rifles, with a built-in quarter rib, and ramp front sight. The 141 aslo is fitted with fiber optic sights, while the 140E is a patridge front post, and square notch rear sight, with no plastic any place othet than the butt plate, and grip cap.

Both these rifle are well made, and will still be shooting when your grand kids are leting their kids borrow them. The price of these rifle are lower than the Chapuis,and are as well made, but are not as shiney! Other than the shiney finish, I see no justification for the higher price, in a working double rifle!

--------------------
..........Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY1, and MacD37 founding member of DRSS www.doublerifleshooterssociety.com
"If I die today, I have had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"

Anonymous
Unregistered

#80362 - 12/06/07 02:09 AM

There is a very nice 9.3 Lebeau Courally boxlock at auction with Holts (UK) coming in late June. I do own some DR's by this maker and they are supurb guns in every aspect.

Here is the link:

http://213.219.62.57/asp/fullCatalogue.asp?salelot=1009++++1218+&refno=++++8972&saletype=

zimhunter
.333 member

Re: Recommendations needed for an entry level DR in 9.3x74r [Re: DUGABOY1]
      #80394 - 12/06/07 06:36 AM

DougK,
I reccomended the Valmet/Tikka and still do as I understood your criteria to be 9.3x74r AND base inexpensive. I suppose I would have to ask what your limits are for 'inexpensive'. I have owned Chapuis in 9.3x74r and currently own a Merkel 141 in 8x57JRS (although mine is different from most in as much as the barrels are NOT adjustable and rib extends full length with rear quarter rib) I have also owned 3 9.3 O/U Valmets. If you own a Valmet currently you would be ahead to just buy a set of barrels. My Chapuis and Merkel both cost over $4000 and to me while that MAY be a good investment and a good buy it does not constitute inexpensive in my mind. My Valmet's easily shot as well as any of my SxS's.

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
      #80460 - 13/06/07 01:20 AM

As I understand it, "Valmet" proper only makes logging machinery now.

Are new "Valmet"-type {Tikka or the Italian made guns} being sold in the USA?

Where and by whom?

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

zimhunter
.333 member

Re: Recommendations needed for an entry level DR in 9.3x74r [Re: 9.3x57]
      #80503 - 13/06/07 10:55 AM

I think Russ Gould of Double Gun Headquarters is the Tikka importer. I bought a filler to go between the barrels from him. Service was prompt and he has used guns also.

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
      #80509 - 13/06/07 11:23 AM

Are these double guns still built in Italy? My last contact with SAKO/TIKKA/VALMET reps was when we were jobbers for them in 1990.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

dnovo
.333 member

Reged: 21/02/05
Loc: Chicago & SE Wisconsin
      #80537 - 13/06/07 10:09 PM

Several Italian companies still make doubles, albeit in small numbers. Perguni, Ferlib, etc all as shown at their websites. They are imported on a special order basis. Dave

--------------------
Time Wounds All Heels

DUGABOY1
.400 member

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: TEXAS USA
      #80554 - 14/06/07 01:50 AM

Zimhunter is correct, the old Valmet 412, or the newer TiKKA, which is basiclly the same rifle,and was made for a time by SAKO, but was later contracted out to be made in Italy.
I had a couple of these, and Zim is right they are cheaper than any S/S double rifle, as are most O/U double rifles. I had one of the Valmet 412s factory chambered for 375 Winchester, with a 1-12 twist. I rechambered it for the 375 JDJ, or 375-444, same cartridge with a different name. adjusted the regulation for 300 gr .375 bullets, and soldered it permently, and installed ribs between the barrels. The rifle worked like a charm, but I simply wanted a S/S double rifle and sold it, and bought an old A&N 450 NE double.

If you order a new Tikka, order it with two triggers rather than the single trigger. This rifle cocks both barrel when broken open, so you can carry a soft point in the bottom barrel, and a solid in the top barrel. With this rifle you may fire either barrel at will. Most O/U doubles only cock the bottom barrel when broken open, and the top barrel is cocked by the recoil of fireing the bottom barrel. They are good buys, but i'd save a little longer and buy a S/S Merkel, or Chapuis. It will last you a life time, so pro-rated over time they are cheap! ,,,,,,,,And $4000 for a double rifle is CHEAP any way you cut it!

--------------------
..........Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY1, and MacD37 founding member of DRSS www.doublerifleshooterssociety.com
"If I die today, I have had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #80613 - 14/06/07 12:46 PM

Quote:

Are new "Valmet"-type {Tikka or the Italian made guns} being sold in the USA?

The new version of the old Valmet 412, Tikka 512 is called the "Finnclassic".

I have one in 9.3x74R U/O.

Second hand ones appear occasionally on the gun selling sites.

Chapuis and Merkels in 9.3x74R are a lot cheaper than big bores in calibres from .375 and up, so they are worth looking at. In Australia they can be found starting around A$5,000.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Rustyzipper
.275 member

Reged: 20/10/03
Loc: North of the Zambezi, in Miser...
Re: Recommendations needed for an entry level DR in 9.3x74r [Re: NitroX]
      #84299 - 20/08/07 12:04 PM

DougK did you get the 9.3 set from Russ Gould? Just wondering. I'm still looking for the most economical QD optic setup. I may have found it if you wish to pm me. Thanks, Rustyzipper

farshot
.300 member

Reged: 25/01/06
Loc: Alberta Canada
Re: Recommendations needed for an entry level DR in 9.3x74r [Re: Rustyzipper]
      #84590 - 25/08/07 12:02 AM

I have looked at, and a friend has just purchased the new Fabarm o/u in 9.3x74R. It is a tight, handy rifle, although very modern looking. Scope mount is extra, but nicely designed. My issue is, that it only shows up here in single , non-selective, trigger, (it appears to fire on each pull no matter if one bbl fires or not) but the quality is certainly in the rifle and it cost my friend about $2600 new. To me, that is pretty good value for a basically german built rifle.

watto
.275 member

Reged: 10/06/07
Loc: Victoria,Australia
Re: Recommendations needed for an entry level DR in 9.3x74r [Re: farshot]
      #85043 - 02/09/07 09:43 PM

G'day all.

I was in the same position as the originator of this thread looking for a economical entry level DR.
Another member of this site kindly offered for me to try a few shots with his Baikal U & O 9.3 x 74,
which I accepted most gratefully (thanks again W) As he pointed out it might not look quite as pretty as the Fabarm futuristic look, but it will probably do anything else just as well and it has 2 triggers. Well after trying it that was the way I went and at $1,250Au I believe it to be a pretty good buy. That allowed me to also purchase a 16 bore cape gun circa 1870 something as well to satisfy for the moment my desire for a SxS.

I shot both for the first time at the weekend but only had time for a quick sighting in of the 9.3.
Initial siters at 25mtrs were directly over each other vertically and I made a quick sight adjustment
making the center of the 2 holes about an inch high at that range. I will do more with it as I have time including chronographing. I am loading 286gn Woodleigh PP with 54.5 gn of ADI 2208 (Varget)

All the best, Ian.

Pages: 1

Extra information
2 registered and 21 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 5719

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com