Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Double Rifles at upcoming auction!

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
hobbyguymaine
.224 member

Reged: 03/02/07
Loc: Maine USA
Double Rifles at upcoming auction!
      #73862 - 15/03/07 01:57 AM

Just noticed these in an "Auction 3/24 Manchester NH" post on Leverguns, close enough to home here in Maine but I'm now so committed to building at least one, and if it proofs okay, at least one more and hopefully a third also, that most of my money is tied up in barrels, parts, potential donor Rossi hammer shotguns, with more required - Pray for Me!, and for a successful proof firing!!!!!!!!!!

"Amoeskeg auction is March 24th, ... but with so many collectors that go to the March auction its usually a bidding war." Listed under "Modern Double Guns": "Pedersoli Model 1878 Kodiak Hammer Double Rifle", under "Antique Double Guns": "Fine London Hammer Double Rifle by J. Lang & Co.; W. Richards Bar in Wood Double Hammergun; Parker Lifter Hammer Double with custom drilling style third barrel added."

Hope I'm not breaking any rules by bringing these guns and the auction to everyone's attention - never know where the bidding will go.

Good Luck, Joe(hobbyguymaine)

P.S. - If anyone researches deeper into those DRs being offered, or attends the auction, please share here - I'm sure that I'm not the only one interested.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
hobbyguymaine
.224 member

More info Double Rifles at upcoming auction! [Re: hobbyguymaine]
      #73867 - 15/03/07 03:04 AM

ITEM 56 - Lovely Two Barrel Austrian Over Under Rifle Shotgun Combination Set
serial #10060 28 ga./.30-30 Win. 28 ga. barrels are 26” ventilated rib, choked a light full and light modified with excellent bores, and are ejector equipped. The .30-30 barrels are 23 1/2" with excellent bores, they are extractor equipped. Originally proofed in 1960 with the rifle barrels, the shotgun barrels were maker fitted in 1964 and are so proofed, as is the gun’s frame. Both sets of barrels are maker marked on the rib, and retain about 98-99% original blue. The frame is a French gray and features nice scroll with game scene engraving and makers name on belly of gun. The checkered European walnut, pistol grip buttstock has a nice rounded cheek piece with shadowline and capped pistol grip and is nicely panel checkered; the forends are three-piece and are also nicely checkered. The wood rates about excellent overall showing only minor dings and dents from light use. The front trigger is single set, the gun is factory equipped with sling swivels, the rifle barrels wear simple elegant open sights atop a full-length solid rib. Lockup is excellent, length of pull to the grooved hard rubber buttplate is 14", with drop at comb of 1 3/8" and 2 3/8" at heel. The pistol grip has a diamond shaped monogram plate, which is currently engraved with the initials HBP. An absolutely lovely Austrian built rifle and shotgun two barrel set, in very desirable chamberings, with super dimensions.

ITEM 65- Fine London Double Hammer Rifle by J. Lang & Co. Ltd.
serial #5367, 500 express caliber, 27" barrels with bright excellent bores. This is a Jones under lever actioned rifle with graceful back action locks each of which feature fine scroll engraving and are engraved "J. LANG & Co. Ltd.". The frame and lever, as well as top of action, also feature the same fine scroll in light to moderate coverage. The barrels retain 97% quality restored blue finish with barrel markings being quite light. The action and locks bear a pleasing smooth gray mix of patina with some faded original case color. The checkered pistol grip buttstock and forend rate excellent having been very nicely refinished with freshened checkering; stock features shadowline cheek piece, steel shotgun butt plate with checkered center and iron grip cap. Rifle features a 14 3/8" length of pull and points beautifully. A nice London hammer double in a caliber suitable for most North American big game.

Well, as interesting as it looks, and since it's been 25-30 years since I've done bidding wars (and won twice!, without losing my shirt) ... but, I really can't spare the $35- for the auction catalog, much less laying credit card and my life (not me honey!) on the line, guess I'll pass on attending, and on that Sat. (maybe back on Sun. even) go to the Lewiston,ME gun show instead, only a 20min drive + 15mins looking for parking. Maybe I'll get lucky and find a 3rd early prod. Garcia Rossi 20ga hammer double (but 26" brls finally), or another 12ga., or the scarcest - a tiny framed 410! Boy, this first project, the 20ga/30-40 is finally about to take off if I can get up to Judson's shop Mon. to short chamber and face my barrel blanks, and then down to my brother's place in 3 wks to cut off the shotgun barrels and ream & tap the remaining monoblock, thd & fit my barrel blanks, and accomplish whatever else time permits. Once I return home I'll start prepping for final barrel assembly/soldering, and eventually loading up some bluepills and proof firing!

Good luck if anybody bids, Joe(hobbyguymaine)

Pilgrim
.275 member

Reged: 25/05/04
Loc: Washington State, USA
Re: More info Double Rifles at upcoming auction! [Re: hobbyguymaine]
      #73891 - 15/03/07 07:12 AM

The auction site indicates the range of values (expected) for the Franz Sodia rifle (Item #56 - .30-30 + second set of 28 ga. barrels O/U) is $6000 to $10,000. Anybody on this forum that can give me an idea if the expected range is right, low, too high? I am very interested in bidding on it as I've been looking for a .30-30 DR for a couple of years. The auction site for this particular rifle is attached. Click on the item and you will get an enlarged picture and description. TIA Pilgrim (http://www.amoskeagauction.com/58/auction58_3.html)

CptCurlAdministrator
.450 member

Reged: 01/05/04
Loc: Fincastle, Botetourt County, V...
Re: More info Double Rifles at upcoming auction! [Re: Pilgrim]
      #73892 - 15/03/07 07:16 AM

The estimated range looks reasonable to me.

Curl

--------------------
RoscoeStephenson.com

YOUR DOUBLE RIFLE IS YOUR BEST FRIEND.

BigFiveJack
.333 member

Reged: 25/12/05
Loc: Half hour North of Tampa Bay F...
Re: More info Double Rifles at upcoming auction! [Re: CptCurl]
      #73917 - 15/03/07 01:02 PM

I gotta learn how to get involved with these auctions...

--------------------
Cordially,
Jack

NRA Endowment Member
DRSS Member

hobbyguymaine
.224 member

Re: Double Rifles at upcoming auction! [Re: hobbyguymaine]
      #74571 - 25/03/07 11:16 PM

Well, today is the 25th, and the auction was yesterday. I didn't attend, but did anybody from the Forum go? I'm especially curious regarding winning bids on the Pedersoli 8x57JRS double rifle and item #56 Franz Sodia O&U 30-30/28ga.

Thanks, Joe(hobbyguymaine)

470evans
.333 member

Reged: 30/03/05
Loc: Texas, USA
Re: More info Double Rifles at upcoming auction! [Re: BigFiveJack]
      #74575 - 26/03/07 12:32 AM

Jack,

I picked up the Evans 400/360 Friday that I bought from the Julia's auction after having JJ Perodeau inspect it. The gun was even better than described. The bores look new. This was my first auction and I phoned in my bid. I had called with several specific questions before the auction and spoke with a Mr. LaRue who got me comfortable with the gun. The process couldn't have been easier.

There was a nice Henry 450/400 that I would have been interested in if I didn't have one already.

There is an element of risk with buying this way but I will consider it a viable option in the future. If you could go in person even better and you mitigate the risk. All you do is call them and sign up to be eligible to bid.

Good Luck in your search.

Jim

tinker
.416 member

Reged: 12/03/05
Loc: Nevada
Re: More info Double Rifles at upcoming auction! [Re: 470evans]
      #74580 - 26/03/07 01:13 AM

Jim-

Nice Rifle!
Let us know how it shoots.

--Tinker

--------------------
--Self-Appointed Colonel, DRSS--

"It IS a dangerous game, and so named for a reason, and you can't play from the keyboard. " --Some Old Texan...

Pilgrim
.275 member

Re: Double Rifles at upcoming auction! [Re: hobbyguymaine]
      #74588 - 26/03/07 03:31 AM

I stuck a bid in based upon a hope & a prayer. Don't know what #56 sold for, and probably won't find out until Wed. or so. Till then, hope springs eternal...Pilgrim

500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
Re: More info Double Rifles at upcoming auction! [Re: 470evans]
      #74590 - 26/03/07 04:32 AM

470evans

That was a good pick up.

I think a few of the guns at Julia's Auctions
were good pick ups.

Well done and enjoy.

BigFiveJack
.333 member

Reged: 25/12/05
Loc: Half hour North of Tampa Bay F...
Re: More info Double Rifles at upcoming auction! [Re: 500Nitro]
      #74629 - 26/03/07 12:41 PM

470 Evans,

All the best with your acquisition. And thanks for the

information on how you went about it.

--------------------
Cordially,
Jack

NRA Endowment Member
DRSS Member

hobbyguymaine
.224 member

?Double Rifle winning bids at last wknd's auction? [Re: BigFiveJack]
      #75067 - 30/03/07 09:55 PM

Anyone aware of winning bid amounts on DRs at last weekend's Amoskeag auction, especially the Pedersoli Kodiak 8x57JRS?

Pilgrim
.275 member

Re: ?Double Rifle winning bids at last wknd's auction? [Re: hobbyguymaine]
      #75076 - 31/03/07 12:24 AM

Joe - I'm still waiting for the info myself. I contacted them last Wednesday, and was informed that they (Amoskeag) weren't going to notify bidders until next week. Irritating in sight of their web site indicating that bidders would be notifed within "a few days". Pilgirm

Pilgrim
.275 member

Re: ?Double Rifle winning bids at last wknd's auction? [Re: Pilgrim]
      #75122 - 31/03/07 08:09 AM

Got a notice today in the mail from Amoskeag auction re: .30-30....I didn't get it. Pilgrim

AzGuy
.333 member

Reged: 23/03/06
Loc: Prescott, Arizona, USA
      #75133 - 31/03/07 09:45 AM

What was the high bid?

Pilgrim
.275 member

Re: ?Double Rifle winning bids at last wknd's auction? [Re: AzGuy]
      #75143 - 31/03/07 10:57 AM

I don't know as they didn't say in the "form note". Actually a 3" x 8" dear john note. Oh well, I might not do differently in their position myself. Pilgrim

hobbyguymaine
.224 member

#75181 - 31/03/07 11:54 PM

Pilgrim, So sorry, hopefully another 30-30 DR will show up in the near future. I'm spending a long weekend down at my brother's in south Jersey over the Easter holiday - partly to just visit and gab, and partly to use his small lathe and mill to create my monoblock and fit my 30-40 barrels.

I'm still waiting for Amoskeag to eventually post the "Prices Realized PDF" on auction #58, but without a catalog from that auction have no way of referencing sale price on the Pedersoli Kodiak 8x57JRS without it's particular Item #. If you or anyone else here has the #58 catalog I'd sure appreciate that item # for future reference when the "Prices" PDF is finally released, as I nearly ditched (or sidelined!) all my DR building plans to attend the auction to bid on the Pedersoli due this fixation of mine with outside hammer DRs!

A properly proofed Pedersoli would've likely been a step up from my proposed Brazilian Rossi bulds, and 8x57JRS caliber certainly suitable for my needs, though would've necessitated new dies and reloading components, certainly less common and more expensive than 30-40 also! At this stage of the game it's academic anyway, but w/presale est of $8-1,200-! I'll feel better if I find it sold for $1,500- plus, will just feel better knowing, one way or another!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 66 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4492

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com