Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: 8 bore vs 4 bore

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)
500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
Re: 8 bore vs 4 bore [Re: empirevr]
      #62540 - 16/09/06 11:51 AM

Most of the DR's in Australia came from India in the 70's and 80's IN BULK.

Some went straight to the US, some here, some to the UK and some who knows where.

Yes, there are bargains to be had everywhere but from what I have found and bought - and I buy guns in the UK, US, NZ, Australia, what often looks like a "Bargain" often turns out not to be.

And as for UK being cheaper than elsewhere on goods guns, it depends.

IF you have found a bargain, good luck - go and buy it and well done.

500 Nitro

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
gatsby
.375 member

Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: inland valley CA USA
Re: 8 bore vs 4 bore [Re: 500Nitro]
      #62542 - 16/09/06 01:16 PM

I agree when it comes to bargin double guns they are few and far between. As for using an 8 bore shotgun with round balls, will it regulate? Certainly not as well as a paradox! Did smooth bore round ball guns have thicker barrel walls than a shotgun?

--------------------
"Recoil is insignificant when there is a tiger on the head of your elephant" The Maharaja of Cooch Behar

empirevr
.375 member

Reged: 03/09/06
Loc: England,but now Italy.
Re: 8 bore vs 4 bore [Re: gatsby]
      #62562 - 17/09/06 03:20 AM

Hi again...

Ahhh,thanks for that info nitro, i had wondered......

Bargains can indeed be had,but you are right to be suspicious,if its a dealer selling the guns.(dealers never let something go for NOTHING, though sometimes one can get a fair price from them also)

The thing i noticed is that many of those that bought the guns first,were indeed English/UK based, and very typically nobles of one sort or another,or the well to do in general.

Well,having come from the countryside(Cornwall) i can say that all these old families managed to keep the guns pretty well, and from time to time they are sold off. Many were licensed and kept,others fall under the handy 'antique and curio' category.

Thanks for the wish of luck! Called,chap is at the Midland Game Fair.(on today) Am calling again monday. I bet its BP,and if its not i shall be taking steps to purchase it. If merely a BP then i feel its hardly worth that price...

Then even if it needs some work,surely it is worth it? a Brit .500 NE isnt an every day weapon one may find anyway......and always when one does they seem to be horrendously expensive....

The Great Gatsby....yes i reflect your concerns, but Daryl has had no problems so far,and has proven tests under his wing.

What concerned me too was; barrel thickness,gun weight, action strength,steel strength,stock strength.......much more pressure and such firing balls etc from the gun,no???

Daryl, your expertise is needed here.......

Ben

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #62565 - 17/09/06 04:27 AM

: I do not bleieve for a second that balls develop more pressure than a shot load, with it's attendent length of shot column, extra wads, etc increasing pressure through friction in the bore. I may be wrong, but that is what I believe. We've developed ball laods for double 12's, no problem, even those with damascus barrels. They must be in excellent shape though without ANY deep pits or dings.
: Since we are talking about more modern guns than muzzleloaders, we are referring to ctg. guns that used, for expample in 12 bore, shot charges to at least 1-1/4 ounces. That is a .715" ball, weighting 545gr. compared to the shot charge of 546.6gr. Looks pretty close to me. I'd use that ball in a set of damascus barrels IF they were in excellent condiditon as checked out by myself. 'Fluid Steel' barrels in reasonably good condition would also pass.
: The barrel thickness at the muzzles for shooting round balls and black powder is not a major concern, as long as they are 'sound' and not wafer thin. W.W. Greener made up a double gun, with very thin muzzles. He fired many pigeon loads, heavy by the standard of the day, without damage, then cut a full circle off each with his pocket knife, just to show the low pressure at the muzzles. This was with BP, as smokeless developes higher muzzle pressure than with the black powder. Too, even with smokeless powders used in shotshells today, muzzle pressure is still quite load, not at all like a small-bore rifle.
: I've come across some more information on English trials with bore guns (small bores too) and will pass that along as I gather it into something readable.
: Regulation is something one must experiment with. As with a double rifle, you simply cannot pick a load from a book and expect it to regualte.
: The ultimate would be to have, as happened with my old 12 bore shotgun, a load that will put the barrels side by side out to 100 yards and with suitable accuracy to that range. In their day, with supplied ammo, there were lots of doubles that didn't regulate well, however the 'best' names usually did.
: The second best situation is to have a double that shoots exceptionaly well with one barrel, to the sights, saving that one for ball and the other for either shot or at least knowing where the other shoots and using it only for a 'back-up' or stopping shot if necessary.
: Samual Baker was most impresed with the .577, loaded with 6 drams of powder and a 650 gr. bullet. With it, he said it never failed to paralize a lion or tiger (India). Another African hunter claimed his .577 was a tremendous gun for Elephant, he-too using a black powder express double rifle.
: The 'Field" tests in England, using small bores, the large bore rifles and smooth bored ball guns was quite interesting. I suggest anyone interested in this aspect of shooting, big guns and small, find a copy of W.W.Greener's 9th edition as noted above in a previous post. A better record of these gun's history is not likely to be found. As well, there is a wealth of knowledge to be found within, regarding shooting shot well. Without this book, it is unlikely I'd have pursued finding round ball loads for my own 12 bores.
: The shooting of Holland's 8 bore and 4 bore was especially well done, as was the 12bore, all managing less than 1" deviation from centre at 50 yards. All were shot with round balls, including a 1,880gr. conical from one 4 bore.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Edited by Daryl_S (17/09/06 05:06 AM)

empirevr
.375 member

Re: 8 bore vs 4 bore [Re: DarylS]
      #62566 - 17/09/06 04:49 AM

Thankyou Daryl.

But is it not true that a slug etc will give a much harder kick when fired than say 00 buckshot or other shot loads? why is this anyway?

This seems to be the general opinion,though i have never been permitted to use slugs before now,and have no particular interest in doing so.

So,basically, what physical differences would i find between the 8 gauge paradox rifle,and the 8 gauge shotgun? barrel length,obviously....weight though? perhaps.......but what of strength? would the lock be heavier-duty on the rifle? both are always jones underlever be they doubles or singles. so it appears. would strengths be equal afterall? or,is the paradox put together in an altogether different manner?

Thanks and cheerio.......

Ben

gatsby
.375 member

#62571 - 17/09/06 09:17 AM

Paradox barrels are heavier inch for inch than shotgun barrels and regulate to 100 plus yards. My question concerning round ball guns was are those barrels heavier than standard barrels in any given gauge? In the day when someone ordered a smoothbore roundball gun what did they get, a shotgun with short tubes and sites that had been regulated?

--------------------
"Recoil is insignificant when there is a tiger on the head of your elephant" The Maharaja of Cooch Behar

DarylS
.700 member

#62582 - 17/09/06 01:28 PM

Ben - From what I can find out from W.W. Greener's book, is that there were many smoothbore ball guns made, more than we previously supposed. I assume they had sights of some sort, probably a block for the point blank sight and a front bead, set in longitudinally in the rib with pin and spring, not sideways with a dovetail as I did mine.
: As well as smoothbore ball guns, there were choke bored rifles with very shallow rifling full length and with chokes, also rifled. They shot well with ball and with shot, apparently, though not as well as a properly choked shotgun. Another was the oval bore, with the oval being a slow twist. This was another ball gun that also shot bird shot quite well. Still another was the rifled shotgun, with only the choke rifled, deeply and fast enough to turn the speeding ball. It-too shot bird shot fairly well. Some of these guns must still be about, though maybe not many in Europe. I presume that many of the shotguns we see today on the market, might well have been ball and shot guns. I would not shoot a gun with extremely thin muzzles, due to easily damaging them. I would not worry about shooting appropriate or shot duplication loads with round ball from any sound shot-gun.
: I'd think the barrels and probably actions might have been heavier on the ball and shot guns, but then, most of the muzzleloading 4 bores used, like Selous Dutch 4 bore Elephant gun, were merely originally fowlers, cut shorter in the tubes or tube along with some sort of sights, primitive and set low to the rib. Leutenant J. Forsyth (later a Captain) spoke of having one tube of a partridge popper loaded with ball just in case your spotted spaniel flushed a tiger instead of a grouse. He also spoke of loading one barrel for shot and the other for ball in a Lefaucheux breech loader which was a poorly fixed (locked up) double shotgun of 1858(or earlier) vintage.
: Recoil - I've always felt the mag buckshot or 4 dram duck loads kicked more than any slug load I've fired. The BP loads kick more than equivalent smokeless loads, even though the pressures are lower for black. Breech pressure has little if anything to do with felt recoil.
; Note that it is stated that Swiss black powder develops approximately 20% more pressure for a given load than does GOEX black powder, same granulaton, I assume. Swiss, according to Ross Seyfried, duplicates the velocities of the English powders used in many double guns, grain for grain. It's only downfall, is it seems to foul somewhat more than the older English powders, but is supposed to foul considerably less than GOEX. Proper lubrication usually takes care of whatever excessive fouling there may be.
: The only original ball and shot gun I've had my hooks on, was a muzzleloading, side hammer 6 bore double, with around 36" or 38" tubes. It had a bead front sight with a platinum lined block for the rear sight. It was re-bored by H&H to 5 bore and proofed for it's normal charge, which I don't remember, probably 12 drams for it's .92" or .93" bores. It weighed 14 pounds and was quite heavily built, as you would imagine for a 6 bore, but probably not overly heavy for shooting ball. It's owner used to delight in shooting trap with it on occasion. It's 3 ounce clouds of #8 shot really dusted clay birds well. To my knowledge, the owner has never fired ball in it.

--------------------
Daryl

empirevr
.375 member

#62603 - 18/09/06 01:05 AM

Thankyou Daryl

So,it seems that these 'rifles' that use shot also must be simply for sale as mere shotguns,as you say,well this is interesting......need simply to look out for a rear sight as the tell tale sign?

Seeing as that gun you mentioned has 36-38" barrels, the only difference of it to any normal shotgun/fowler,was the rear sight!!!?? correct?

Selous's gun was a muzzle loader then? interesting.....horrid for a second shot surely? or if a double,horrid for the 3rd and 4th?

Actually,i must say when one goes from 10 gauge and up the guns seem to be huge,and immensely strong,actions included. and i dont see much of any difference in weight or bulk between the shotguns and the designated rifles.

Oddly,a chap i have come to know a little has a 2 bore for sale.......a chance to re-enact Baker? sounds a little painful to me......besides,thing is just huge......a shoulder fired punt i think.

Some very interesting stuff there Daryl.......

I reckon the 12 gauges are different from their rifle equivelents, but the bigger gagues seem to be the same,weight and all.

Ben

DarylS
.700 member

#62609 - 18/09/06 06:09 AM

Selous' gun that I mentioned, was a single. He had a pair, so that one was always loaded. His 'caffer' loading the empty one from a leather bag at his waist. Apparently in a tight scrape with a mad elephant, he put in two handfulls of powder instead of just one. When Selous fired that one, the stock broke at the wrist, hammer ripping him across the forehead, and dropping a flap of scalp skin over his eyes. That made a great story, no?
: I found reference to the gun trials of 1883, the only such trials where makers competed against each other. Double rifles along with a smoothbored ball gun by Holland's weere used. The shooting of the smoothbore was rather poor, but mentioned by W.W. Greener that quote - - "A smoothbore shot-gun, choked or cylinder, should make a better diagram in good hands" This means to me, that shotguns were commonly used with ball as well as shot, as I noted in a previous post.
: Incidently, in the trials, a 4 bore double, made the smallest deviation on the 50 yard target of any, the mean shot being only .782" average from centre. This is pretty good shooting and would probably put all 10 shots, in a 2" square or smaller group. It was not common for 4 bore doubles to be rifed as of 1883, but this one might have been rifled as no mention was made that it was a smoothbore.
: A previous test using an 8 bore, put 6 consecutive shots inside a rectangle 2-1/2" wide by 5-1/8" high. Discounting the high left barrel shot, 5 are in a square 2-1/2" X 3-5/8" high. This is better shooting most hunters can do with their scoped moose rifles, even at a mere 50 yards.
: The shooting done in these trials was usually standing, at the high bench, gun gripped as if shooting offhand, with the shooter leaning against and across the table's padding. This 'sort' of hold (gripped as if shotoing offhand) is necesary with heavy recoiling guns to eliminate non-consistant recoil from spoiling the groups fired. Incidently, the bore rifles, from 12 through 4 bore outshot all of the Express rifles at 50 yards at the '83 trials.
: Now, if you can find an 11-1/2 pound 8 bore with 20" barrels, be assured it was most likely for ball. Weights are listed as 24" bls. at 15 pounds to use 10 or 12 drams and a spherical ball. He (Greener) states that (quote) "Possibly the best weapon for large game is this 8-bore with short barrels; but using the light spherical bullet only, and eight or more drams of powder, the double rifle then need not weigh more than 11-1/2 pounds as the recoil will be so much less (than shooting a conical) and the velocity and penetration at the short ranges at which large game is almost invariably shot will be more than sufficient to penetrate and kill even the largest elephant, whether head or side shot be taken. The accuracy of the large-bore rifles and ball guns is very good up to 60 yards with the smooth, and 120 yards with the rifle." (end quote)
: Incidently, a muzzleloading rifle can be loaded quite quickly. My 14 bore, when loaded using paper ctgs. could be loaded ans discharged 8 seconds after the previous shot. Selous gun-bearer probably used no wads, just a handgful of powder and rolled a ball onto it. this, of course, does nothing to keep the ball at the powder for if the muzzle is depressed, the ball will roll forward. I suspect that if needed for a coup-de-gras, there'd be no patch used. Of course, it is possible a patch was used in the normal fashion.

--------------------
Daryl

empirevr
.375 member

#62611 - 18/09/06 07:29 AM

Hi Daryl

Thankyou for that information.

Well unfortunately i have not come across any such 8's. Most seem to have barrels ranging from 30" to 36"

So,tell me.......

My eye has caught upon a Freer 8g double,for a measly sum.(£600) now the barrels are some 33.5" long......and yet that one you have handled yourself,though a muzzle gun,was longer,right? Even so,given that this be a shotgun, and a jones underlever as almost all 8's and 4's are,(and larger) would i make myself an excellent ball rifle merely by having the barrels cut down, and a rear sight added? Do you know of this maker? i barely remember the name......god knows from where.

The jones underlever is amazingly strong and features on all these guns,rifles and shotguns, and i take as being the strongest action at the time. The Greener cross-bolt being second strongest,no?

Cheerio and thankyou.

Ben

500Nitro
.450 member

#62612 - 18/09/06 08:07 AM

empirevr

Regarding your comment of the
Greener cross-bolt being second strongest,no?

I disagree - I think the Greener cross bolt is not a good system
as once it wears (and you see alot of them worn), they come loose and then shoot even looser as time goes by.

I have seen alot of loose Greener Shotguns.

I prefer the Webley PHV 1 or Screw Grip system which continually seem to lock up the action even as it wears - which is due in no part to how it is designed.

Just my HO. Someone like 400 could probably give a better technical explanation.

500 Nitro

empirevr
.375 member

#62615 - 18/09/06 08:23 AM

Hi nitro

Then what about the jones underlever? so commonly used on the large older guns,and all large wild fowlers?

Funny,in principal doesnt look that strong,and yet it seems to be.

Cheerio

Ben

DarylS
.700 member

#62620 - 18/09/06 10:33 AM

Yes - if you cut the barrels back to 24", put on a nice low bead, plus a point blank sight, the appropriate distance up from the standing breech, you'd have an excellent ball gun.
: All that would be necessary, would be to work up a load that put the barrels together.
: Check to see if it is chambered for paper or brass cases.
: Measure the bore size to obtain the proper ball size and you're away. Oh yes - do get the Greener book, 9th edition.
: Best of luck to you, keep me posted.
: I am not familiar with Freer. I assume it is in very good condition.

--------------------
Daryl

empirevr
.375 member

#62646 - 19/09/06 01:12 AM

Hi Daryl

So far i cannot reach the chap with the Freer....i do hope this is an English gun.....can anyone remember?

The .500 nitro hammer,has sold everyone,for £2,000 and yes it was a proper nitro,in good condition........chap selling it is someone i have come to know quite well over the last years,yet he had changed his site around and so i wasnt sure if it was him or not.

Anyway,lovely prices......

Another chap has just made me a very good offer...a Charles Osbourne 2 bore single,with repaired stock and excellent bores,with some ammuntion for £3,000/$6,000........

Any opinions? how about that firing balls Daryl? would i ever have the dare to actually fire it,i wonder........

So,24lbs weight,44" barrel......jones underlever.

Bit of an oddity eh? i like the price and fear the gun.......is/was a fowler, and yet i cannot imagine who ordered a 2 bore for shoulder firing.....no sign of any sights except a front bead. Could it none-the-less have been a gun intended for ball use also? certainly a stopped if so.

Personally, i would love to find a well priced 12 bore paradox rifle.....shot,ball,and conical......and i can use the shot here to hunt with also.(we are limited to no larger than 12g shot here,for hunting)

And yet,i can shoot any calibre at the range. So 10's and 8's would be good too,as would the 14/16's.........

Any of you ever fired a 2 bore? even a 4 bore? being a smooth bore gun, is it easier to fire? i picture a hospitalising kick from her..........

Ben

DarylS
.700 member

#62650 - 19/09/06 01:48 AM

A 2 bore?? - I make the 4 bore and 2 bore as being TOO much fun, something I don't really need.
; Many guns for ball in the Indian theatre, according to Forsyth, had no rear sight, only the front bead. Sighting was taking down the rib, with the larger breechs giving the necessary elevation. He even stated that some smoothbores had breeches too high, giving too much elevation. This, of course, could be compensated by with a higher bead. A 44" barrel? I thought my flinter longrifle was long at 42". the gun must be gigantic in the hands.
Daryl

--------------------
Daryl

empirevr
.375 member

#62660 - 19/09/06 05:43 AM

HI Daryl

Hahaha...a little OTT,what?

I think such recoil could spoil all 'fun' personally.......

Selous ended up delerious from firing his 2 bore,didnt he?

A very nice old firearm......but perhaps not quite what i had in mind.

At £3,000 wouldnt you agree that it is a great bargain though?

Any idea of anyone selling a 12 bore paradox or smooth rifle for a fair price?

Cheerio

Ben

SAFARIKID
.275 member

Reged: 08/09/05
Loc: Savannah,Ga. USA
      #62665 - 19/09/06 07:57 AM

Hey Guys,I am also a owner of both of these(and more)..My newest 4 bore is a Real shoulder cannon at 26 pounds with 22" RIFLED Barrels and a true 1" hole in each barrel!This "aint your daddy's 4 bore" holds true with this custom double.Aptly named "T-Rex" by me,it shoots Jacketed 2000gr Soft Points and Solids from its rifled barrels up to 1500fps with Smokeless loads of Blue Dot Powder.This is Far More Powerful than the old ones shooting round lead balls or conicals at much lower velocitys and slower twist.The TKO factor (Taylor Knockout Formula) is 400 Plus where a .600NE is a mere 160 and a .700NE is 200!! I am getting under 2" groups at 50yds(each barrel will touch holes!).I also have a 8 Bore Tolley and a 7 bore Greener,but these shoot 1000-1250 conicals at 1200fps or so and are no match for there Big Brother!As far as penetration goes,I shot a 5/8 steel hanging plate at 20yds witha 2000 soft and it not only went through it,it broke the support steel cable suspending it!Awesome Power,I can wait th get a Cape Buff with it next month in the shoulder with the 2000 softs...I do have several videos of me shooting it now on YOUTUBE.COM under T-Rex! T-Rex II T-Rex III Also,I do have some Big Doubles For Sale .577,.600,8 bore and 7 bore.

--------------------
Lots of BIG Bores!

gatsby
.375 member

#62672 - 19/09/06 10:38 AM

Empirevr
Holts just auctioned a paradox, I think it went for about 15,000.00 US. You had mentioned an 8 bore paradox for around 12,000.00, I think that gun(can't be two for that asking price) has had the rifling removed from the chocks but might be a good candidate for a smooth bore ball gun. I believe the gentlemen who has the 8 had a 12 paradox that was bargin priced but the barrels and action had different serial #s but if it is a shooter was fairly priced.

--------------------

empirevr
.375 member

#62693 - 20/09/06 12:37 AM

Hi

safarikid......the 7 bore and 8 bore,prices? 7 bore.....odd,does it have any ammo?

Gatsby, im interested.....you found the 8 i was talking of? well what of this 12 bore then? please give me more info......pm me.....would love to know price and such.....

Another chap i know,who sold the 500 nitro,has a contact in India of all places,and here we see why he had/has 11 doubles for sale.......

Yes,they were cheap as they needed some bits doing to them,but nothing horrendous.

Look forward to hearing from you regarding the 12 bore.

Ben

empirevr
.375 member

#62798 - 21/09/06 09:38 AM

Found a beautiful four-bore online,smoothbore gun with 30" barrels......

At £17,000 maybe one of you luckier guys should go for it? seems worth it........J.W. Tolley, and a double too.

Cheers

Ben

Omnivorous_Bob
.333 member

Reged: 03/10/05
Loc: Montana
      #62823 - 21/09/06 02:11 PM

17000E!!! is crazy for a smooth gun. Where's it listed?

Bob?

--------------------
"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

gatsby
.375 member

Re: 8 bore vs 4 bore [Re: Omnivorous_Bob]
      #62826 - 21/09/06 02:24 PM

Bob,
Crazy in which direction?

--------------------

500Nitro
.450 member

Re: 8 bore vs 4 bore [Re: Omnivorous_Bob]
      #62827 - 21/09/06 02:45 PM

Bob

http://www.litts.co.uk/robins-rack.php

As a general rule, If it's too expensive, then they are not looking at you as a target market !!!

In any case, litts is known to be expensive so it's not surprising.

500 Nitro

empirevr
.375 member

#62848 - 22/09/06 02:30 AM

Really??

This is interesting.......

So in US $ thats about 34,000..........

Drakes has them from time to time,seem to be about 2x this price........

If you know of cheaper ones would love to see them.....

Singles and doubles, always rifles, smooth,paradox,and full.....

Thanks

Ben

empirevr
.375 member

#62908 - 22/09/06 09:40 PM

Bob

Where are you?

If your saying thats very pricey for a smooth DR in 4 bore then please can you tell me how much one should pay for such a gun?

Any sites,or contacts also greatly appreciated sir!

Ben

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 77 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 15739

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com