Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Double of the Day - a bit of controversy

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
tinker
.416 member

Reged: 12/03/05
Loc: Nevada
Re: Double of the Day - a bit of controversy [Re: tophet1]
      #201873 - 07/02/12 01:38 PM

Here's the versatility of my cerebral reward-center gene-expression of 'catches/hatches/latches' attraction (or just interest of that which I cannot have...) but that Mauser-esque vault-bolt horn-guard set-trigger thing shown above (DG be damned...) is looking pretty cool.

...of course my Purdey 20bore pinfire rifle is MUCH cooler...

Cheers
Tinker

--------------------
--Self-Appointed Colonel, DRSS--

"It IS a dangerous game, and so named for a reason, and you can't play from the keyboard. " --Some Old Texan...

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
mauserand9mm
.400 member

Reged: 03/09/09
Loc: Queensland, Australia
Re: Double of the Day - a bit of controversy [Re: tophet1]
      #201879 - 07/02/12 02:47 PM

Quote:

Is this a DG rifle ?

Well it is labelled a "safari rifle", refer website:

http://www.blaser.de/index.php?id=241&L=1

The calibres/cartridges it is available in would imply DG, and the webpage shows a Cape Buffalo (unless there is a disclaimer somewhere saying "Not for DG"). Manual cocking and no ejection - Blaser double rifle shooters obvious enjoy the thrill of living dangerously

Edited by mauserand9mm (07/02/12 02:52 PM)

Mike_Bailey
.400 member

Reged: 26/02/07
Loc: GB
Re: Double of the Day - a bit of controversy [Re: mauserand9mm]
      #201887 - 07/02/12 06:34 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Is this a DG rifle ?

Blaser double rifle shooters obvious enjoy the thrill of living dangerously

LOL

mickey
.416 member

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: Pend Oreille Valley, Idaho
Re: Double of the Day - a bit of controversy [Re: Mike_Bailey]
      #201933 - 08/02/12 05:50 AM

You would have to be an adrenalin freak to carry that Blazer into a Buff or Elephant herd. How about a wounded Lion?

I love Hoenig rifles. Not for big game but a rifle in an Elk/Moose caliber would be wonderful. I haven't bought a New Double since the early 90's but if I ever do it will be a Hoenig in 9.3 or 8x65R.

Their accuracy is unbelievable by the way

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

mauserand9mm
.400 member

Reged: 03/09/09
Loc: Queensland, Australia
Re: Double of the Day - a bit of controversy [Re: mickey]
      #201954 - 08/02/12 09:50 AM

Actually, there's probably no reason why the Blaser can't be made to eject and automatically cock (the locking style shouldn't affect those) - except cost to do so, and they are already quite expensive anyway.

DUGABOY1
.400 member

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: TEXAS USA
Re: Double of the Day - a bit of controversy [Re: doubleriflejack]
      #202968 - 20/02/12 03:02 AM

Quote:

Regarding negative comments on the Blaser breech system:

ACTUALLY, THE BLASER TILTING BREECH BLOCK SYSTEM IS CONSIDERABLY BETTER THAN THE UNINFORMED WOULD LEAD ONE TO BELIEVE. YES, IT MAY LOOK “STRANGE” TO THE UNINFORMED, BUT IT CERTAINLY ISN'T A “CONTRAPTION.” IT ISN'T HIDEOUS EITHER, EXCEPT IN THE EYES OF THE UNINFORMED. MAY I SUGGEST THAT YOU ALL EDUCATE YOURSELF FIRST, DO A BIT OF READING, BEFORE CRITISIZING SOMETHING YOU DONT' UNDERSTAND?[/COLOR]

Doubleriflejack, it seems the people you are cussing are not the ones misinformed, unless reading Blaser’s advertisements is considered education.

The Blaser S2 is not only about the ugliest “CONTRAPTION” with two barrels I’ve ever seen, but is saddled with some real problems of design. The hood above the chambers for the locking of the breechblock does make the lock-up tight, but is in the way of a fast and effortless re-load in a hurry, and poses a real hindrance to removing a stuck case or clearing a head separation.

However the biggest problem with this double rifle is the auto de-cocking system, and no facility for the rifle to cock it’s self after a re-loading after firing the rifle. This system de-cocks the rifle when it is opened for any reason, and must be manually re-cocked before the rifle can be fired after being opened. This is a dangerous feature when facing dangerous game in close quarters, when the first shot or the first two shots do not stop a determined charge. Anyone who thinks this is a good feature is the one that is misinformed.

Many think the de-cocking system of the Blaser S2 is the same as the Krieghoff system, and it is definitely not the same. The K-double, once cocked and fired and/or opened for a re-load, or any other reason “RE-COCKS IT’S SELF” and is ready to fire as soon as it is closed with nothing more than the pull of a trigger. This is not the case with the Blaser s-2. That rifle has no facility for being automatically re-cocked on opening, and must be manually re-cocked no matter why it is opened or no matter the condition the system was in when opened. This is not a feature that was anyone’s best idea on a rifle chambered for a cartridge designed to be used on dangerous game. Some think the lack of no ejectors is a draw-back, and to some it maybe, but I have double with and without ejectors and I can live with one or the other equally.

The rest of the draw-backs of the S-2 could be tolerated if the system was re-designed to work the same as the Krieghoff. When auto safeties are frowned on, when fitted to dangerous game double rifles, what was Blaser thinking when the designed a system that actually “DE-COCKED” the rifle on opening for any reason, rather than RE-COCKING it making it ready to fire as soon as it is closed.

The stock is poorly designed for a double rifle, and seems to have been done so to be able to use the same butt stock blank used on the straight pull bolt rifle, with the pistol grip too tight for a two trigger double rifle.

On the positive side, the scope attachment is a real plus, and was well designed for a quick detach, and re-attach of a scope for special purpose sighting system.

The designer of the S2 is certainly not INFORMED of standing a charge of something like a lightening fast lion, who kills for a living and knows exactly how to do it quickly!

None of this matters if you are going to use the S-2 for hunting driven wild boar, or roe deer, but many of the chamberings in the S-2 seems to be recommending the rifle for dangerous game. Let’s just hope the Blaser S-2 owner doesn’t get “INFORMED” by a lion or Cape buffalo hitting him while he decides why the rifle is not shooting after a re-load!
..................................................................... [/COLOR]:(

--------------------
..........Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY1, and MacD37 founding member of DRSS www.doublerifleshooterssociety.com
"If I die today, I have had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"

MichiganShooter
.224 member

Reged: 31/10/05
Loc: Tri-Counties, Michigan, USA
Re: Double of the Day - a bit of controversy [Re: DUGABOY1]
      #203405 - 23/02/12 03:55 PM

There is a huge difference between Blaser's and Scheiring's rifles. This makes sense--Scheiring's cost 10 times more than this thing.

Whatever the merits on the breech system, they are out of place on a "safari" rifle. I think you could make a strong argument for one on a single-shot mountain rifle. But the Blaser's aesthetics are appalling. It fits in like a donkey at a horse race.

Mike_Bailey
.400 member

Reged: 26/02/07
Loc: GB
Re: Double of the Day - a bit of controversy [Re: MichiganShooter]
      #203431 - 23/02/12 06:06 PM

Michigan, that is a terrible thing to say about donkeys best

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Double of the Day - a bit of controversy [Re: Mike_Bailey]
      #203510 - 24/02/12 06:55 AM

Nice wood.

I was taught to say that whenever I didn't like the looks or design of a rifle - if the wood was even remotely mentionable.

Edited

OOPS - I already said that on page #1.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Edited by Daryl_S (24/02/12 06:57 AM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 74 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 22308

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com